Apocalypse : What went wrong?

Apocalypse

>Is supposed to be the Big Bad Boss of the X-men universe, basically the Thanos equivalent for mutants
>5'8 tall in the movie
>has been reduced to a guy with Telekinesis and Telepathy
>recruited useless mutants left and right
>shows that he can kill anyone in less than a second
>never uses that power again
>highly incompetent
>Talks about Religion instead of talking about Evolution
>shows that he really didnt need the 4 horsemen at all but still used them
>got BTFO when he refused to use his 1 hit ko ability on everyone

NU GEN
>SOPHI TURNER
>Bland smug Cyclops
>SOPHIE TURNER
>Jubilee included for the Mall scene

CHARACTERS
>Magneto and Charles doing the same thing for 6 movies now
>still somewhat MYSTIQUE CENTRIC
>JLAW

What ruined it for you?

I liked it, honestly.
Final fight was schlocky in the best way.

>dat X

>What went wrong?
They didn't give the rights back

>Talks about Religion instead of talking about Evolution
this I actually liked, we already had first class for the whole 'we are the next stage in human evolution' thing

Back to whom? Marvel? So that X-Men would become another generic franchise filled with Tony Stark-ish characters, terrible villains and shawarma jokes? The movie was mediocre, but they at least gave us the Sweet Dreams scene, something Marvel would never even think of doing.

Why are there so many people complaining about Apocalypse getting rid of the nukes? He was an ancient god, coming from a time where nobody used nukes. Of course he was displeased with the new technology. So what if it might've been useful to him? Ancient gods in legends are usually pathos-filled characters who favor principle over practical effect. Him getting rid of the nukes makes all the sense in the world. Why is that so hard to follow for everybody?

I think the movie was just fine. Literally nothing bothered me besides jubilee not doing anything

Cause hoarding every nuclear weapon on earth literally make you if not god at least ruler of earth.

And he's all about survival of the fittest, nuke entire world and let evolution sort out rest. Instead he was religious ivan ooze.

> but they at least gave us the Sweet Dreams scene, something Marvel would never even think of doing.

It was just a re-do of the Time In A Bottle scene.

>And he's all about survival of the fittest, nuke entire world and let evolution sort out rest.
Then people would be complaining they were just repeating the First Class villain's plot.

this movie should've been a two-parter. first movie has Apocalypse winning and killing significant characters. second movie takes place 10 years later on a now dystopian Earth with the new gen being guided by the remaining old guard.

But it already is first class repeatment.
Bad guy gets ahold of vast arsenal check, fails to use it check. Not the same but close poor minions choice.
Overall poor villain, but movie was just ok.

should have ended with Apocalypse using the nukes to end life on earth and only the strongest mutants to survive

10 years later, it becomes Days of future present with Cable as the star

BUT MUH JLAW

Yeap, and then simply retcon all with time travel

Marvel wouldn't bother with TIAB, too.

Well, people keep complaining about comicbook inaccuracy.

Would ahve been pretty cool to show an actual BBB win and kill everyone.

Would have been good to introduce new younger mutants instead of using the same ones all over again

Yes yes, the MCU is the death of art, nothing memorable, etc.

Second song, same as the first.

Jennifer Lawrence reslly put me off. Why is Mystique such an important character to this franchise now?

rebecca romain was perfect and mystiques role in the first 3 films was all this character needed.

>Jennifer Lawrence reslly put me off. Why is Mystique such an important character to this franchise now?
Because Jennifer Lawrence is a cash cow

>Jennifer Lawrence reslly put me off. Why is Mystique such an important character to this franchise now?

She's barely in Apocalypse.

the Sentinels look like shit to me.

they didnt do a good enough job establishing the time periods

a distinct lack of Ironsides' BWOM BWOM BWOM musical score

lost opportunity to quadrouple profits, make comicom 100 times bigger than ever, and change the history of film by showing J Law fuck that Vietnamese officer ushering in a new golden age of fanservice

X Men movies are no fun allowed

>but they at least gave us the Sweet Dreams scene

Damn, niggas still holding on to this crutch. This one fucking scene, in all those fucking movies is what you Cucks in a bottle have to live on? Holy shit.

But why not? When I think of most memorable scenes in the comic book movies, MCU isn't usually what comes to mind. The only sorta memorable scenes I'd name are the climax of the first Avengers (and even that is memorable because of what is happening, rather then how it is executed), the Hulkbuster vs. Hulk fight scene, and a couple of visually cool Dr. Strange scenes. Everything else is pretty generic.

I ment Time in a Bottle, incase anyone tries to ad hominem.

The scene where Magneto turns his machine on from the first movie
The Nightcrawler fight scene from X2
Most scenes with Jason from X2
The coin scene from First Class

Apocalypse in general never felt like a "oh fuck, the shit is going to go down" kind of threat he was supposed to be and more like an "average action movie villain who wants to end the world" kind of threat instead.
The movie kept SAYING that he is something special, but he didn't feel any more threatening than Shaw or the sentinels.

JLaw is a fucking skank and I am awating the moment where she finally thinks she's too good for capeshit and never does them anymore.
Literally any other actress would be better than her, and they wouldn't have to make Mystique-centric plots.

It was a messy movie but I kinda like it.

I will only give you 2 of those. The other 2 are shit.
>Counting pre-reboot movies
Feels like you're cheating.

Honestly, there are two major flaws of the film.

The first being the massive detour to show off Wolverine. The film just stops so they can go to this facility just so Wolverine can break out and stab a few people. Not only does it contradicts the last film's ending, it also has nothing to do with the story we're currently watching. We learned nothing new from Wolverine breaking out of the same facility again. It was just pointless and took up way too much time, and then immediately, the plot starts again when he's gone.

The second is that the new teenage leads really felt underdeveloped. The way they were able to beat Apocalypse felt like if Kamala, Miles and Sam Nova were introduced in Infinity Wars and were able to beat Thanos.

>besides jubilee not doing anything
Oh, this bugged me. Get a perfect looking Jubilee and she gets no lines? Fucking dumb.

I kinda enjoyed the movie.

I realize it was pretty bad in many aspects, but I still found it entertaining. Then again, I'm the type of faggot that also found Thor 2 entertaining, I don't have high standards when it comes to capeshit movies. They have to be Fant4stic or Suicide Squad level of boring for me not to enjoy them at least a bit.

So? Don't fix what isn't broken.

Here's the problem with that, you can't build off the X-Men franchise after half the world's been nuked. Shared universes unfortunately need stability. It's why no major city gets destroyed in the MCU, because then that means they can't shoot there anymore or that they must always remember that the destruction of said city is a tragedy. Sokovia is okay because it wasn't real. NYC wasn't completely destroyed. But say, if London got nuked, that means you can't film in London ever again in your films.

That's the rules of these movies that never end.

Everyone was barely in Apocalypse.

But Apocalypse was never really in the same league as Thanos.
Also it took the combined efforts of Storm, Cyclops, Magneto and the fucking Phoenix to take him down so it's not the same as Kamala, Miles and Sam defeating Thanos.

The Wolverine scene really fell out of place though.

is it weird the whenever i see J-Law it never occurs to me that someone might meant Jenifer Lawrence
I immediately think Jude Law

name three good villains outside Magneto then

My biggest gripe is that, not much happened.

Apocalypse got his horsemen, they had a fight and that was it. I can't remember anything else of note except from Quicksilver's scene.

really? It did have a be all end all vibe considering the nearly destroyed the world for good

The movie was good. I liked it more than civil war

Oh she's a cow alright...

Thank god for that Sweet Dreams scene, i dont know about you guys, but i dont want to see my favorite characters from the comics doing shit, i want to see Pietro running in slow mo because audiences loved it so much last time, it only makes sense we do it again, in fact lets do that every time a new X-Men movie comes out.

>The other 2 are shit
still better than most MCU scenes

Stryker from X2 was a compelling sympathetic character with an understandable motivation.
Shaw had more charm than any of MCU villains.
Toad and Yuriko were enjoyable for what they were (secondary antagonists with creative gimmicks).
You bring in points that I never made. I talked about this scene in particular being enjoyable and memorable, not about the overall movie.

>Stryker from X2 was a compelling sympathetic character with an understandable motivation.
generic black suit
>Shaw had more charm than any of MCU villains.
He was cool but he was just mr sinister and mags hybrid
>Toad and Yuriko were enjoyable for what they were (secondary antagonists with creative gimmicks).
like any other jobber in film

I liked the movie but then again I eat up anything x-men like my life depends on it

there's two or three things I didn't like. the end fight was great until the "hurr durr ur alone we not" speed. Not only it's cliche as fuck but it's fucking apocalypse, he gives no fucks about that.

There were some other scenes that were exaggerated and a tad cringey. I guess it's a problem of script more than acting, the main problem with the way the movie was made is that it relied too much on cliches.

I loved how they reformatted some characters to fit the underground subcultures of 80s germany. I liked cyclops getting smug and a couple other things.

>has been reduced to a guy with Telekinesis and Telepathy.

He had molecular manipulation and a big set of skills. telepathy is what he didn't have.

Well, the whole franchise has only had 5 big villains so far . Magneto, Striker, Shaw, Trask and Apo. I dunno, Can't say I dislike any of them.

>What went wrong?

You went in with a false assumption that has never been borne out by the facts, namely:

>Is supposed to be the Big Bad Boss of the X-men universe, basically the Thanos equivalent for mutants

He's a 5000 year old who lucked into Celestial tech that's basically a shitty version of wishing. He's probably quite educated, for a Chalcolithic resident of the Nile Valley. That means he likely believes the Sun is pushed across the sky by a kind of beetle, or dragged by a chariot, and that any metal more durable than copper is amazing to him.

In the comics he's been beaten solidly by literal children at a literal school on several occasions; when he achieves anything, it's because he has help from others, including his adviser who, despite being of the same vintage, doesn't view himself as a god and therefore doesn't have that barrier to understanding his own weaknesses.

Apocalypse is a monster of the week from a low-rent tv show. He's never been anything else and never will be, even if he's made edgier and grimmer, because his whole setup is flawed. The fact is, he's shitty.

Shoulda been two movies

They can't commit Magneto to a character alignment so he plays his same character arc every film, where he's good, mistreated so becomes evil, then has redemption at the end. I think this is the first time they tried to stuff it into a single move though, which makes a lot his character feel rushed. Also the fact they happily accept him back to being a teacher and leave as pals, despite the fact he easily murdered thousands of people whilst working for Apocalypse

>dat X
APOCALYPSE, you don't believe in the X-Men and you've been making light of the idea of Xaviers dream all the time, so now I put up an X in front of you to confront you with your wrong belief and make a stand final stand for what I believe in.

Oh no wait, Apocalypse literally doesn't connect anything with the letter X and it's completely pointless and dumb to show it to him and means nothing in the scene to anyone except for the audience.

If that gesture at least came from one of the kids somehow. But it's Magneto even. The guy who only just got talked out of world-wide genocide.

Fuck, this is just one single shot of this movie and I can fill an entire post with how dumb it is. I think the further I get away from seeing the movie the more I dislike it. I think I've started to actively hate it recently.
And to think I love Days of Future Past and was genuinely hyped for the movie.

>but they at least gave us the Sweet Dreams scene, something Marvel would never even think of doing.
A scene that completely broke the mood of the entire second act of the movie for a visual gag that was just a lamer rehash of the same scene from the previous movie?
Yeah, I bet Marvel would never do something like that.

>Alex just died? Fuck him. Fuck First Class and its entire cast. Fuck having any sort of consistent tone.
>time for the funny slow-mo routine

Because he's trying to kill as many people on the planet as possible while he wants to rule over the last couple of mutants that survive.
This was the exact same motivation the Hellfire Club from First Class had and they wanted to fucking incite a fucking nuclear war to achieve this very fucking same goal. And Apocalypse just casually does away with it and tries to do the same thing more inefficiently instead.

The whole scene and plot point was just there so they could put nuclear missiles into the trailer and contributed zero to the plot.

>What went wrong?
No history of the characters
weird willain ad he could use this instead the smurf
too much Jennifer Lawrence
nobody give a fuck about : wolverine, Jubilee, and do u know that Havok died there?
when the daugther and the wife of magneto died
the scene in the nazi camp
the final fight is bad
> What went right?
the first scene in El Cairo
they have the best Quicksilver
maybe the misiles scene

And thus missed out on the best part of the entire film, the only real wow moment in it.

>Yeah, I bet Marvel would never do something like that.
because they're always playing it safe, duh

>dat X
I could not contain my laughter when that happened.

Its like Singer finally made the big action movie we knew he couldn't deliver on. His strength was always character interaction and Apocalypse had none of that.

I can't believe we went from DoFP to this.