Are the cekestials from marvel Lovecraftian? Furthermore...

are the cekestials from marvel Lovecraftian? Furthermore, why was Jack Kirby so fascinated with the concept of ancient astronauts?

Other urls found in this thread:

zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff_Kirbyverse.html
twomorrows.com/kirby/articles/13kirbyfiles.html
youtube.com/watch?v=1t7TnnMFl5s
youtube.com/watch?v=7nYyBanHFUE
youtube.com/watch?v=twPsg9Kz6LQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kirby was just insane in a very good way. Literally ahead of his time, drawing shit that wouldn't look out of place in the 90's during the 70's.

>It was fashioned at the time.
>He clearly liked sci-fi stuff, either soft or hard.
>It could bring creative imaginary to the paper.
>He wanted to create his personal cosmogony, a trait common into creative artist either in graphic arts or literature, because that way you can play with your own rules to tell stories.

Those are my two cents.

only in the sense that he portrayed them as so cosmic as to be unknowable entities, perfectly alien in their behavior and activities.

personally i wouldn't label something "lovecraftian" if it lacked the "so alien-y terrifying that it makes you go insane". I can't fathom calculus but looking at equations doesn't mean i go loony, i just dont understand what i'm seeing anymore than i'd understand what celestials are up to. looking at lovecraftian horrors *would* drive you crazy.

>why was Jack Kirby so fascinated with the concept of ancient astronauts?

That's just his thing. Every artist has his thing. Kirby is obsessed with space gods. Liefeld is obsessed with pouches. Miller is obsessed with tits. etc

This

I've always considered the celestials as representations of the pinnacle of sentient life. They couldn't contend with cosmic entities, but they were as advanced as any given form of life -could- get given enough time.

Because he likes 2001: A Space Odyssey

Ancient Astronauts was a big for the first time in pop culture.

Imagine if the show Ancient Aliens was all over pop culture

The book and movie Chariots of the Gods? was popular at the time.

The celestials are too humanoid to be lovecraftian.

Lovecraftian would be like Shuma-Gorath or the Many Angled Ones

They were supposed to be as far above "normal" gods like Odin and Galactus and The Watcher as those are above humans.

This was all pre-retcon-rejuggling of crap, but that's my preferred way to look at it even today.

>Lovecraftian would be like Shuma-Gorath
Thank you.

>Miller is obsessed with tits
No, that's Beto.

the 90s wouldn't have happened with Kirby

>. Kirby is obsessed with space gods. Liefeld is obsessed with pouches. Miller is obsessed with tits. etc
>If Liefeld came first
>Cosmic Pouch Gods

Well around the time he did Eternals was when the book "Chariots of the Gods?" entered the public spotlight. Some comic book historians credit Kirby being inspired by the book.

Yet if you look at his early stuff like his plans for the Kree. It was obvious he was into the theory way before "Chariots of the Gods?" was ever published. Here's a link to a good explanation of Kirby's intend and plans for his Kree and cosmic stories; zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff_Kirbyverse.html

I can only guess Kirby knew something we didn't. When he was young he almost died because of pneumonia and supposedly rabbis (some say kabbalah) came and preformed an exorcism, saving his life. This link explains it better and Kirby's supernatural themes; twomorrows.com/kirby/articles/13kirbyfiles.html

When Thor goes inside a celestial, it's in flux and messes with his head. So i think the armored shells serves to let everyone else know what they're all about while their insides are Lovecraftian.

>The term Pocket Dimension would instead be called Pouch Dimension

Pouches! From the pouch dimension!

I think that they miss the aspect of powerlessness against them and fear of the unknown.

Sure, we're always TOLD that it's useless to fight against the Celestials but the heroes usually win at the end of the day. They're also not really grotesque or unknowable; sure, they're claimed to be far more intelligent than us, but they're also just guys in giant shiny colourful suits. There's certainly influence from Lovecraft, but that can be said of pretty much any sci-fi depiction of gods or godlike aliens since the 30's.

To be honest, the only mainstream western non-literary works I can think of that got the feel of Lovecraft down without trying to be a direct adaption are Alien and the Thing. Film is my main media interest though, so I would be interested in recommendations from anons of comics or video games that have a genuinely Lovecraftian atmosphere.

This. He saw 2001. Blew his mind. He wanted to take some of the concepts and run with them.

There are lovecraftian horrors more human than the celestials.

It's not all tentacles and Bloodbourne, you know.

That guy's site is simply amazing even if I don't agree with some other stuff on his site.

The Thanos Imperative

Thank god Miller didn't came first.

Except he didn't just see the movie or read the novel, he made the fucking comic.
You're right, you're just understating it.

To my knowledge, he did his own thing with the comic, even.

>are the cekestials from marvel Lovecraftian?
no
they're very human-centric

Which site? There was like two links posted by user

>are the cekestials from marvel Lovecraftian?

They are humanoid in shape, so by definition they cannot be Lovecraftian.

Space age

The guy who does the FF is the Great American Novel theory.

Why are half of them standing on the ground with the other half just sorta floating at different heights?

Everyone here should check out the Jack Kirby tag on a blog called The Secret Sun. Kirby was definitely tapping into something way, way out there.

Because acknowledgement of the z-axis is for plebs.

Although the final stage of 90s comics was too far gone and strange, the early stages had a lot in common with Kirby's stuff, from the color pallette to the detail infested technology to the broad sillhouttes and crazy muscles. I don't know, maybe I'm just not deep enough into comics, but I have mistaken some of his shit for 90's stuff more than once.

cosmic bump

Aren't the Celestials' insides PURE ENERGY™ and the armor works as a containment suit?

>Kirby's message: "What's Out There?"

>In conclusion, what is Kirby's story about? Kirby's entire opus can be summed up in three words, perhaps his favorite phrase: "what's out there?" On the surface his stories are all about fighting. but he knows enough about real fighting to now that only one thing is stronger than the gun: the idea. Kirby was hungry and thirsty for ideas. He knew that the world is bigger and more dangerous than we can imagine, and our only hope of survival is to find out what's out there before it destroys us.

>Kirby is the only real comic writer, because he is the only one who understands reality. Alone among comic writers, Kirby actually fought the Nazis with his bare hands. He grew up in the Great Depression, a short Jewish kid who had to fight street gangs to survive. As an adult he lacked a silver tongue, and was constantly robbed of the value of his work. So he did the only thing he could: worked harder, and put his mind in to overdrive, to understand things are as they are. Other comic writers are armchair philosophers, but Kirby understood the real world. Other comic writers write either power fantasies or nihilism. Most superhero comics are power fantasies. They imagine that the planet Earth is super special in the universe, and a lone band of misfits can beat any alien threat. A minority of writers are nihilists: they realise that the power fantasies are dangerous nonsense, and that the universe is very dark. But they do not have answers. They think that even pretending to have answers is dangerous. Both positions are luxuries that only sheltered armchair theorists can afford. In the real world you know that yes, dangers are far worse than you can imagine, and you had better find answers if you want to survive. You had better recognise the Hitlers and the atomic bombs BEFORE they arrive, and you had better understand them or you are dead. Only Kirby had that understanding. Only Kirby writes about the real world.

I liked that part of the article.

More Chariot of the Gods than Mythos.

I love the look. Pouches, utility belts, ammo belts -- almost any TT RPG or comic character I make is loaded with them. Weapons too.

The anatomy, however...

I just take it as they're ascending or descending

youtube.com/watch?v=1t7TnnMFl5s

youtube.com/watch?v=7nYyBanHFUE

youtube.com/watch?v=twPsg9Kz6LQ

>Implying Arishem wouldn't look amazing with a big pair of robo-knockers.

kek

Funnily enough, that is probably the reason. It's not a position of flight, they're just standing in mid-air as if they were on the ground. Casual disregard of physics implies otherworldliness and power.

Jack Kirby was obsessed with ancient astronauts because it's cool and Kirby knew what was up.