Did shows with non-white leads feel normal back in the day because we were too young to be racist...

Did shows with non-white leads feel normal back in the day because we were too young to be racist? or because they weren't "forced"?

They felt "normal" because they were good.

It's definitely because they weren't forced and were actually, yknow, someone's attempt to make a good show. You can see this in the movies of the 80s and 90s, too: The casts in popular action movies like Lethal Weapon, Predator, and Alien were pretty diverse all things considered. It's just that the people behind them actually wrote the characters as characters rather than, say, "a black guy". I really think that, for the most part, the only people who care one way or the other about the racial composition of a TV or movie cast are the very people who're screeching about diversity.

It was before you spent your entire life on Sup Forums.

I'm black and when I was little I'd turn off any show with black people on it right away, mom used to chastise me for it.

This. because they weren't forced and they were good

You didn't let memes dictate your opinions as a child.

Just look at fucking 24 and what they're trying to do by remaking a decent show for the sake of diversity rebooting with black and female leads with no relevance and new showrunners.

They need to create their own media for diversity if they really want it rather than taking over white roles because they will have been done before and it will always live in the shadow of it. If they want to be proud of a minority cast then do something original that stands on its own merits rather than a token gesture.

I think Black Panther will be an OKAY movie that's an original-ish black character rather than blackwashing but doesn't mean it's diverse it's monoracial which is fine as long as they do a good job of it

I grew up during the 80's and 90's where, looking back, there was a lot of racial integration but it was never "announced". What I mean is, I never remember a persons race ever being actually mentioned or discussed. I guess if there was an effort to "integrate" it was far more subtle than compared to today.

One thing I miss from those years was that race was never something people proclaimed. I never remember people listing our their ancestry like it meant something, instead people were just people. Gender existed, and boys wanted to be boys while girls wanted to be girls, as best as was socially defined for them. But I never remember people defining themselves by the color of their skin. It's weird how today people put so much importance in announcing their ancestry.

LOTS OF THINGS AREN'T FUNNY
BREAKING MY COMPUTER WASN'T FUNNY
SHOVING ME IN THE LOCKER WASN'T FUNNY

based

we were post racial. now we're post postracial

The fuck you talking about. Both are well received.

I liked those two.
I didn't like American dragon. Jake was a smug little chink shit.

i dont think anybody has problems with asians

lol what did you watch then?

Other Asians.

I'm saying back then I never thought anything about a show having a black or Asian lead, but now a show like that tends to stand out more, and it tends to feel forced and unnatural.

Britain begs to differ But yeah by asians you mean east asians and I agree

Well he did fuck his own mom.

Because they look white. Put them in live action and you'll have complaining.

the only problem with this show was not enough dragon loli

>too young to be racist?
i was a little shit as a kid, i made fun of the only black girl in school all the time, i used to push her into the boys bathroom and not let her leave.
I loved jackie chan tho

They weren't forced, and the illusion that the world is a meritocracy was far stronger in the public consciousness, so people felt that they probably deserved/earned their shows.

I don't think they were forced. I'm white and I grew up watching shit like Cosby Show, Family Matters and Fresh Prince. They were good shows about black families. I think a lot of movies and shows today force "diversity".

Jackie Chan Adventures was always a good show back when I was younger, i became a racist when my own race became persecuted.

now this was kino

jackie chan, jet li, bruce lee and ken watanabe made a ton of western movies and nobody complained

Darkwing Duck
Duck Tales
Gargoyles
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Bear in the Big Blue House
Blues Clues

A lot of shit, but I'd get mad as fuck when Little Bill or something would come on

I hope you didn't watch Bonkers. If you did, we can't be friends anymore.

I watched that shit on Toon Disney at 3am when I'd stay up to watch Tale Spin, Timoon and Pumba adventures was my favorite though. I used to lose my shit when Simba would make cameos trying to figure out where it fit in the Lion King canon.

Ironically, we as kids didn't really care about it.

Jackie Chan felt forced to me.

Static Shock was kino though. I liked it because it was an honest show.

Just watched Avatar the last airbender on TV, the live action one. It was pretty good honestly. I never watched the cartoon though. Did the movie flop or something? It ended on a cliffhanger and I don't think there is a sequel

man that jackie chan show was kino af and surprisingly well written

YU MO GUI GWAI FAI DI ZAO

These days I imagine a sci-fi show with this % of black people would warrant instant dismissal for some.

jackie chan adventures was good until you attempted to rewatch in when you got older and realized the plot repeated each season.
>find the 12 talismans
cool
>find the 12 demons
still cool
>find the talismans they are animals now
uhh
>find the oni masks
really running out of ideas huh
>find the items to stop shendus relatives
ugh

Static shock sucked and I never watched it. But it worked because it was clearly targeted towards urban black kids whereas nowadays they want everybody to be into it, and it's just not happening.

Black panther is going to be shit unless they have some really inventive writers. The character itself is boring/nothing special and the actor is the same. So it's not a good outlook.

>Black panther is going to be shit unless they have some really inventive writers. The character itself is boring/nothing special and the actor is the same. So it's not a good outlook.
It looks like out of the last few movies it will have the least amount of quips for marvel

>The character itself is boring/nothing special and the actor is the same.
The same can be said of every Marvel character. You just don't know anything about Black Panther

Do black people like capeshit? Will they turn out for Black Panther?

The blacks are known for exceptional interest in Marvel, DBZ, fighting games, and YGO.

Dave Lister isn't "black" he's a chav whose racial identity has meant smeg all in the show.
It's why older shows did black characters better because they were "characters who happened to be black" not "black characters."

>When I became a whiny bitch*

Static Shock was only good about half the time because Shebang existed for a while and there were a lot of episodes with dumb guest stars like the Backstreet Boys, Lil Romeo, Shaq, Lil Romeo again, etc. Also my nigga Ferret never got his redemption arc.

They still are. You just browse pol too much

no he's right

The Chinese are a plague on the Earth

>show doesn't mention race

somehow I dont think that fits the 2017 narrative

>pol

static shock was forced and terrible, conroversial at the time as the comic sucked, DC shows were all filled with SJW shit post BAS. and JCA was tolerable despite looking terrible.

Jackie chan show was actually fucking awesome

you fucking brainwashed cuckold