Cass is dead

>used to be the ultimate badass
>is now a mopey ballet dancer

Why do they keep shitting on her Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/IMxUKWG.jpg
cbr.com/cbr-tv-gene-yang-discusses-superman-diversity-in-comics-and-more/
inverse.com/article/21132-dc-s-new-super-man-chinese-democracy-daddy-issues
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

She's not the Batgirl they grew up with so she doesn't matter

You say this like it is not the case for every single character that is not the big honchos for their respective company.

Loving secondary characters is a mistake. Everything bad that can happen will happen to them.

C'mon, Cass fan. They are not at all being disrespectful to Cass.

1) Cass has always loved dance.

2) It's much less disrespectful and lazy than magically giving her speech.

3) You want to see shitting on a character? Turning her evil for a very stupid story, then claiming that it's good because it proved she has fans, then never giving those fans any more good stories.

And I'm a Steph fan first and foremost.

So come off it.

postan batgirl in a batgirl thread

What are you talking about?

She always liked dance and the corporal language thing.

Are Sup Forums getting dumber or something?

There's a certain type of Cassfan that is never satisfied.

They're probably also Hamilton idiots who get the reference I just made.

She can be badass and also like dance? She's always been mopey?? Jesus fucking pick up a comic sometime

Cass was a badass, the person who could fuck up the Batman if she wanted to. A living weapon. Her becoming more human was a side story to her being the literal silent guardian. Now she is just some lonely hipster bitch.

She is still that. If you don't see that, you're not paying attention to all the mopy dialogue.

At least Puckett's run is now reprinted.

Bullshit, she is nothing more than scrappy reject, you cannot compare her to who she was before. The Cass I know accidentally almost killed a man because she punched him so hard.

>And I'm a Steph fan first and foremost.

Ya know, now that I think about it, maybe Steph got it worse than Cass? Sure Cass always seems to get pushed to the side in Tec and she has a shitty-looking costume and a lame sounding codename. But at least she seems to act like how Cass should. Nu52/Rebirth Steph on the other hand feels like an almost completely different character, at least based off how she's written in Tec. I'm aware she appeared in Batgirl. Maybe she was more like pre-Flashpoint Steph in that book?

Then again maybe that's just me. You're the Steph fan. How do you feel?

>Cass was a badass, the person who could fuck up the Batman if she wanted to. A living weapon.

Look at this page from Detective Comics 950. The narration literally talks about how Cass could easily kill Batman, right then and there.

>The Cass I know accidentally almost killed a man because she punched him so hard.

Again, look at the page. The narration talks about how Cass always needs to hold back when she fights, because if she doesn't then a situation like the one you referenced could easily happen or worse.

...did you even READ the issue, user? Why are you so stupid?

Tynion really wrote Steph out of TEC in the most obnoxious way possible. At least she hasn't shown up to make things annoying since then and was replaced by Azrael.

I love Steph in the Eternals, in Batgirl, and in the new Tec book. She has some updates, but much less than Tim did. I'd say it was about how they updated Dick for the n52.

This is a controversial position with Steph fans, but I think most of us think Steph in Rebirth is pretty solid.

I don't know why people ever want characters that they love come back
it's like never as good as you remember

I disagree - Tynion is trying to find an analogous way to have Steph relate to the Batfamily as she did during the late 90s early 2000s without making Batman constantly say, "you're not good enough." I think the way he did it makes a lot of sense.

All I see is a pussy who doesn't know how to own up to her ability. That's not how the old Cass would roll.

learn to read, please.

I got a degree in English, sir. I can see this is a scared little girl, not the Cass that would beat the hell out of a bad guy with no mercy.

I have two.

That's not bad at all...
Is WORST see Cass considering Harper(No Steph) his best friend

I wanna cum through Cass's mouth mask and have her lick the remaining semen that comes through it.

At least she didn't end up as Simone's "Angel of the Bat" idea.

You can always pay someone to draw that

i.imgur.com/IMxUKWG.jpg

I'm fine with this one. Not willing to pay for art work.

No, and ironically, your Batgirl is not the one kids are growing up with now.
So face it: Cass fans have now become the exact same nostalgia fags they always hated Babs fans for being...

Although i can't actually remember a time when Cassfags weren't acting like a bunch of angry disgruntled assholes, and always being hostile to anyone who prefers one of the other Batgirls over their super-waifu.

Babs getting the cowl back was not my personal choice, but i do find it intensely amusing that Cassfags with their hilarious jealous hate-boner for Babs/Batgirl and her fanbase got the finger.
Personally, i was fine with Stephanie in the role, but your tears make it worth it.

Thing is, Cass didn't get a send off in a classic story like The Killing Joke or move on to something more important like Oracle. She just had her book cancelled and turned heel with some of the worst writing and plotting imaginable.

Babs exists primarily in the TV shows, which are what most casuals know, so it doesn't matter how garbage her comic appearances are.

Recommendations for Cass stories?

>Assmad Stephfags once again turn on Cassfans for no reason.

You're the ones who are never truly satisfied. You're the ones who sent pizzas to the DC offices after she was killed off in War Games. You're the ones who gave up on the Steph/Cass dynamic the moment your favorite was (literally) handed the Batgirl mantle. You're the ones who still harbor vitriol for anyone who dares to question the validity of your spunky self-insert.

Don't try to mock others for things you're guilty of in spades.

>Loving secondary characters is a mistake. Everything bad that can happen will happen to them.

Too true. I'm still waiting for Bruno and Ganke to bite the bucket.

>search batgirl
>first few dozen images are Babs

Get over it, There's only one Batgirl, and it isn't Cass.

The current Tec arc is also focused on her.

Thank you, beautiful user.

>read her run
>she cannot drive
>is still a virgin
>socially inept
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Sup Forums loves her so much.

>She's always been mopey
Nope.
>And then somewhere on the way back to my office I had this crazy vision of a new Batgirl. She was young–late teens, I thought–and Asian, because, well, at the time we had an awful lotta white faces in the DCU, and I thought, if we’re creating a brand new character in the DCU, why on earth would we make her white when other races are under-represented? And in my vision, she was cheerful and chipper and always up and good-natured and she had a complete and total death wish.

>This did not seem like a good idea. In fact, it didn’t seem to even make any sense. But it wouldn’t go away.

>So I called Kelley Puckett. And I said, “Hey, new Batgirl. Young–late teens, I think–and Asian. And cheerful and chipper and always up and good natured and she has a complete and total death wish.”
>“But,” he replied reasonably, “that doesn’t even make any sense.”
>“I know.”
>“That’s completely contradictory.”
>“I know.”
>“How…how is that supposed to work?”
>“Got me,” I said. “And it’s not my problem anymore. It’s yours. Go!”
>I’m pretty sure I could hear him, after we hung up, clear on the other side of the continent, still saying how stupid this idea in particular, and editors in general, were.
>The next day he called. “I know how to do it,” he said.
>And as we all know, he did.

I'm not even mocking Cass or reasonable Cass fans. I'm saying I'm happy that Cass is getting a great beginning to an arc, and complaining that this particular Cass fan can't read.

Even Peterson himself says that what Puckett came up with wasn't this chirpy suicide girl.

That's a weird reading of >And as we all know, he did.
Cass could be pretty fun.

>if we’re creating a brand new character in the DCU, why on earth would we make her white when other races are under-represented
grumpyface.jpg

Thing is, it was OK because it didn't wear the diversity-hire thing on its sleeve, and the far-away Asian backstory is cool.

Cass could be pretty fun. But not all the time, or even the majority of the time.

If you actually bother to look for other interviews from Peterson, you'll see that he acknowledges the changes Puckett made.

And even so, some prominent Asian creators were not impressed at yet another Asian martial arts chick.

Nu Barbara Batgirl sucks ass. They should have kept her as Oracle and given her a mech suit if she needed to fight directly.

The downside is that a later writer gave us the stupidity of "Shiva is her mother."
>Asian creators
Do those even exist in the western market aside from hapas like Greg Pak and Marjorie Liu? I know Jim Lee didn't care, he just didn't like her because her costume made her look like a shoe and he likes sexy women.

Gene Luen Yang is the one who didn't like her.

Also, I've been trying to find a sauce on the Jim Lee dislike for Cass for ever - was there ever an interview or thinkpiece?

>Gene Luen Yang is the one who didn't like her.
Really? I wanted her to show up in New Super-Man.
Sauce please.

I figured someone like him would appreciate the metacommentary of how she's only a great martial artist because a white man min/maxed her to be that way.

All I have on Lee is a fan's word and her noticeable absence from Hush.

What the hell kind of joke is that? Why would Babara even suggest "cellulite"? Or be surprised when the super-Olympian teenager can't find any on herself to point to?

The eugenics thing that was mixed in by making her Cain's daughter by Shiva didn't win over a lot of fans.

Am I the only one who thinks it would have been better if Cass was permanently mute? I really liked the whole "speaks through physical motions and mutual understanding rather than speech" deal. There was one moment in particular where it was used incredibly well and not as a pseudo superpower it was used as in her actual comic. When she acts out the murder of whatshername with Nightwing when Nightwing was actually having doubts over Bruce being capable of killing an innocent person or not. She showed him murder isn't something Bruce would do, without actually saying anything.

If she never had the ability to talk I felt like her character would have been much more interesting. It kinda reminds me of the manga Gon. There are no words in the entire series but its still fun and enjoyable.

I don't think you liked Cass for the right reasons and that's why you're salty now. You sound like someone talking about Dragonball.

The stories they're telling now remain true to her CHARACTER instead of "who could beat who in a fight" power wank.

You are definitely not the only one though I am fine with permanently impaired speech. Five word responses and the inability to comprehend sentences over a radio longer than eight.

It was the first hard word that came to mind. Barbara often says things without thinking.
That's difficult to write, which is why they got rid of it.

Funny thing about Cass's answer was that it could very well be that she was just using her body reading to find out what Barbara was thinking she should point at without knowing that cellulite meant fat.

>is now a mopey ballet dancer

Proofs?

cbr.com/cbr-tv-gene-yang-discusses-superman-diversity-in-comics-and-more/
inverse.com/article/21132-dc-s-new-super-man-chinese-democracy-daddy-issues
My memory was a bit faulty - it was more Illidge who expressed some of the problems of Cass's origin and characterization (and apparently, led to the incredibly annoying "magic speech" plotline - ugh). So apparently Yang liked Cass, but also has some reservations about her. Not "dislikes her," as I mis-stated. My bad.

I don't like the idea of a mute Cass, because I'd like her to grow in her speech ability over time. Currently, the lack of dialogue makes it harder for writers to give her moments that aren't just, "beats up everyone in the room."

Oh, Illidge is the dummy who got mad at Seeley for not immediately announcing in-story that New 52 Helena was Afro-Italian.
And now she's full-on southern Italian, sucker.

There was also that time when Steph fans sent waffles to the DC offices, I think because they were mad that Babs was going to be Batgirl again instead of Steph in the New 52?

I don't know about this character, but this is cool costume. Am I edgy for liking it?

it's interesting how this is the exact reverse of pre-FP Cass, who was "perfect"in using "just enough"- I guess new52!Cain was worst at everything else but he DID turn her into a better assassin than Best!Cain did with Best!Cass- I guess nu!Cass is less fluent in body language than Best!Cass, which would explain her being a relatively weaker fighter and less thanato-phobc than best|cass

Nah the costume is great.

Illidge is...an interesting dude. I can't hate him, because he doesn't badmouth Dixon and worked on Dixon's Birds of Prey and clearly had a lot of thought put into that book. But he's pretty much drunk the cool-aid, as his statements about Cass and Helena recently prove.

That didn't work so well. I knew about it, but even as a rabid Steph fan who strongly dislikes Babsgirl (but loves Oracle), sending perishable goods by mail is a terrible idea.

I am looking forward to seeing what Illidge's Lion Forge line looks like because he's coasted on his BoP work for years, and been truly snotty about a great deal of Big Two work in a "I could do better" sort of way. So let's see what his three Joe Casey books come out like.