What is the worst episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog?

What is the worst episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mE-SSrNlBkU
youtube.com/watch?v=R40SHwcM3wQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're all pretty good, and memorable

So I guess by this criteria, the worst episode would be the least memorable, and as such would make the episode not only impossible to recall, but also make it so that you could not remember why it was bad in the first place?

My least favorite episode was which ever one that courage had to fight mechacourage. My favorite is either the one with the ugly guy who rung the bells or the one where Eustice is cursed. The scene where he looks at courage with his hat on and sees a younger version of hisself is literally the only time I've ever cried watching a cartoon

Thecone with the rats and the junkyard

That one was fucking good though. Great one to watch on Christmas. Which was usually when they would air it, I believe. The nutcracker is good ass music

The one with the Cajun Fox

WHOODAAA

Conway disturbed me.

Honestly this one is the one I remember the least.

Although when I was younger I also didn't care much for the Doc Gerbil episode.

Usually first episodes are exempt because the show hasn't gotten it's barrings but I have to agree.

I think that episode has like the most dialog of any episode, especially from Courage. It showed that Courage himself having too many lines didn't fit well which is why his audible English got less and less to almost none by the third season.

I liked the Cajun Fox as a bad guy, but his execution wasn't great. It wasn't terrible by any means, but he was the only good part of the episode.

I think the Jewish comedian voice suited him fairly well

If you go back and watch the really early episodes, you'll realize it's only good with a few lines, especially in 4th wall breaking aspects.

In early episodes courage would banter with villains and his computer more. This got heavily reduced because you realize his character is better when he talks less and communicates through other means.

I always cherished his actual lines of dialogue. "I know I'm not gonna like this" "the things I do for love" "there's something fishy goin on here, or my names stinky Lou Lou, and thank goodness it's not."
All the characters on that show had great quotes

The one with Bostwick

I watched the one about the pigs who run the burger place and the concept was good but it was really dragged out.

Courage was never offensively bad. Maybe a little boring in the later seasons.

I fucking hate this meme

Courage was 90% plain and forgettable with a few good episodes that so called "90s" kids lap up because they thought it was deep that the Fox really wanted to fuck that old lady and there were apparently cat lesbians at some point after courage literally had the audacity to start bowing after every episode like this was fucking theatre or something

>Later seasons
>boring

A reminder that Last of the Starmakers was season 4

Courage vs MechaCourage was pretty boss though. Courage usually wins by cunning and luck. Showing him winning through sheer grit was pretty something

I did find it slightly disappointing to rewatch. You don't remember the less memorable monsters, of course, and there were a lot.

But there's so much great stuff, it's still not overrated.

So here's something I've been wondering for a while: in Courage the Cowardly Dog, the main cast go about normal situations which end up in turning surreal and insane pretty quickly. This formula carried the show for 4 seasons to widespread acclaim.

That formula was also tried with Regular Show, and it didn't make it through a season before people started complaining, leading to the show shying away from the formula.

Why did it work for Courage and not for RS?

I didn't care for the Doc Gerbil episode either, although I can't recall any element of it that offended me. Maybe I'll rewatch it some time later today and try and dissect why I didn't like it.

Execution. Courage had a great sound track, ominous artstyle, the characters were well designed and while awkward and detached sometimes, the dialog was incredibly memorable.

The episodes were purely focused on the paranormal because the lifestyle of the characters was played up very simply. It's an old farming couple in the middle of Kansas that lived a comfy and basic simple life and paranormal shit was the basis of the episode.

Typically the plot would involve a meaningful life lesson or message

Regular show's formula was more about basic young adult lifestyle and drama that would then break down into an mess of chaotic shit. It didn't work as well because the "reality break down" was very samey.

Taking advice from Quintel is like taking advice from /r9k/.

I loved the show. It really mirrors my real life of being raised by my grandparents. My grandpa is cranky while my grandma is sweet and always defends me. mfw I am Courage The Cowardly Dog. So basically my love of the show stems from my real life connection to the show.

I think
>people who live in spooky blank landscape and get attacked by X
is less tryhard than
>dudes who live in a mostly normal college/post-college world but wacky stuff happens to them anyway because they're that cool

Courage is a very enduring character that is for sure

But dude that scene with the opera singer while they're in the speedboat is hella memorable. Gave me chills everytime I seen it

While I wouldn't say Courage was one of my all time favorite Cartoon Network shows like say, PPG, Dexter, Puffy AmiYumi, or Foster's, I do really like the show a lot. Honestly, the main reason I watched this show was because I had a friend that really liked this show, so I watched it because of that.

Honestly, there isn't an episode of Courage I dislike. I found them all pretty enjoyable and there were some really awesome ones, like Perfect, The Curse of Shirley, Hunchback of Nowhere, Robot Randy, and Last of the Starmakers. Honestly, my favorite episodes of Courage are ones that are amazing in atmosphere, music, and emotion. Those things are what makes Courage to me. If I had to choose my favorite though, it would be either The Curse of Shirley or The Hunchback of Nowhere, as they were the most powerful at least to me.

I liked the folksy Victorian vibe the show often had. The surrealism of the show was just perfect

That episode gave me an early awareness of/aversion to animal testing. It really expresses the evil of torturing living things for silly reasons.

Are you me? Haha

Style. Courage utilized different music scores, morals, plots and even different type of animation styles to make each monster distinct.

Regular Show was the same ol' shit over and over. Nearly ever episode was a inter dimensional being that was played down and 80's references. It was to ingrained in its formula and it got dull.

The show really knew how to portray touchy subjects. Until they went to far with the Abusive boyfriend / lesbian relationship thing that ultimately got it cancelled. Courage taught me many valuable life lessons

>Victorian

I'm not seeing it, Dilworth just used a lot sharp textures that had a 3d-rendering like affect, probably because that is what they used for the background.

I recently watched that episode. It's a memorable scene though I'm not sure why they decided to use opera for it. The episode was simply a jab at animal testing for cosmetic items and Willy Wonka. It wasn't an epic battle about depression as with the Tower of Dr. Zalost which definitely had the build up for it's sound track.

>It got cancelled because of that episode

Going to need a source. The last episode of Courage was the one about his parents and the one about accepting himself for who is is. This was an intentional finale for the series.

I watched the episode and I really think it was the soundtrack that put me off. The "It's Doc Gerbil's World" was intentionally annoying, but being bad on purpose doesn't make something good, and even if the joke hadn't fallen flat for me it gets dragged out way too long.

Then there was the speedboat scene with the opera singing. I just really don't get it. Is it supposed to be "epic"? The singing isn't particularly impressive and the scene doesn't really have any build-up, it's just "We're doing a chase scene now" and for that the music felt completely inappropriate.

Aside from the music, the "testing product results in something exploding" gag was repeated too many times and (this is probably the final nail in the episode's coffin, from my perspective) Doc Gerbil just didn't seem all that sinister to me. Partly because of his (southern?) accent, partly because he was a giant gerbil, but he just didn't have the fear factor for me that all the best Courage villains have.

This is all obviously just my opinion, I can see why someone would like the episode. But it's still the first one to come to mind when asked for a worst episode.

>Tower of Dr. Zalost
Dude, the soundtrack for that episode was fucking marvellous. Baby Rat crying alongside the music that played during that scene came the closest to making me cry out of every cartoon, movie and video game I've ever experienced.

>Eustace is a cranky old man who lacks empathy and only cares for money
>Muriel is a tender sweet old lady who radiates happiness and compassion

So why the fuck did they get married?

This is complete fan wank with nothing from the show to really back it up, but I like to think Eustace wasn't always that way. He just became more bitter as he got older.

Yeah, remember the episode where Eustace sees his younger self crying and current day Eustace gives him his hat? I figure he was a sweet, sensitive boy deep down who was turned into a bitter asshole by all the abuse his mother dished out.

it's not an incredibly amazing cartoon, but it did have a neat style and the episodes are enjoyable to watch in the least
would i rewatch it now? probably not, but it's something i can see myself running on a secondary screen while i'm working

90s kid here

>I figure he was a sweet, sensitive boy deep down who was turned into a bitter asshole by all the abuse his mother dished out.
And his brother. The hunting episode showed that Eustace's brother was a fucking DICK.

>The Curse of Shirley

The feels. Oh, the feels. Just, beautiful.

One episode and still much more believable than Korra and Asami

The deepest lore is realizing they're the parents of Ned.

The Clutching Foot and aqua farmer

>aqua farmer
Did anything even remotely interesting happen in that episode? All the other episodes listed in this thread had at least one or two interesting moments or characters, but I'm pretty sure there was literally nothing entertaining about the Aqua Farmer.

I usually tend to forget that episode, probably because it didn't really stick out for me. It wasn't a bad episode, just kind of eh. Probably the only episode that wasn't memorable in the slightest.

To be fair, it's still a better episode than other Cartoon Network episodes from other shows like Sun Scream (PPG), Bendy, I Only Have Surprise for You, Make Em Up Pals, Hold it Lazlo, Samson Needs a Hug, and Your Ed Here.

I binge watched the series a while back, and while I still attest that it's my favourite CN cartoon by far, there was a long stretch of episodes in S2 that felt formulaic and repetitive in a way. Then I found out the season was almost completely written by one guy.

i really disliked this episode and the way that cat beat courage just for being a dog when he was trying to help

plus regular show had gone downhill after the second season
half the episode scripts could be literally ripped from goddamn fanfictions
guardian of the friendzone? rigby being worried about giving a good inspirational speech at his graduation? hi5 getting a girlfriend?[because literally every single character needs to have a girlfriend]
and i was even pleasantly surprised when eileen was introduced in do me a solid; now she's just bland nonsense
the last episode was hard to watch emotionbait

should've put it on adult swim and made mordecai and rigby gaybang it out in beavis and butthead style, would've done better

I got a stew to do

>probably one of the most visceral cartoons of the last 30 years
>implying it's even possible to be in the running for forgettable

The one with that lesbian cat and rabbit.

Hey
Come ovah here. I got somethin for ya

>and the way that cat beat courage just for being a dog when he was trying to help
That's the whole point though? The cat had a bad experience with dogs and grew and unfair prejudice predetermining all dogs to be evil despite not even knowing Courage, just like how Courage predetermined her to be a monster just because she looked creepy.

She was supposed to be in the wrong and the whole point is her learning that in the end.

Wasn't his brother an asshole too?

Almost any episode that involved Courage and company in the city

I can't remember what episode it was but I think it was an episode where everyone hated everyone or was being mean to each other. It was just boring and stupid

The fact that Courage the Cowardly Dog didn't have an OST released pissed me off to this day

youtube.com/watch?v=mE-SSrNlBkU

No fuck you thats one of my all time favorite eps.

If anything the bigfoot episode is very forgetable

The one with the Beaver and the Dam. I don't even remember the name of the episode, but I distinctly remember thinking it was the worst episode of Courage.

I think my least favorite was the were-groundhog one. I think it was the pilot, but that's the episode with the most animation errors and flat jokes by far. Either that, or Katz island.

>dad wanted the beaver to be a construction worker when the beaver just wanted to be a musician

I had to think really hard about what episode this is and when I finally remember I'll have to agree

This was a really horrible episode

Something about the music and the water scenes though was pretty creepy, i'll give it that.

The episode I liked the least was the episode with the two baby raccoons when they went camping. That was so forgettable I had to look up the episodes and watch it just to remember it so I could post in this thread.

You wanna know what made those bones?

You don't wanna know what made those bones.

>I think it was the pilot
Nah, the pilot was the Chicken from Outer Space. You know, "This shouldn't happen to a dog"?

I loved the final music of the Dr. Gerbil episode.

youtube.com/watch?v=R40SHwcM3wQ

This dude is off base but he's right, every show has bad episodes, Courage included.

I can't really remember any right off the bat since I haven't watched the show in so long though.

so its ok to beat the species that caused you pain? ok
and courage is easily spooked by anything

Why is Courage called a cowardly dog when he is actually really brave?

because he's afraid of everything and he never does overcome his fears, he just pushes past them.

He's a Green Lantern to be

>so its ok to beat the species that caused you pain? ok
Did you completely miss the "she was wrong" bit?

Is courage the cowardly dog the most jewish cartoons in american television?

I don't mean that as an insult. I mean that it's style of humor is something somebody in that culture would come up with, and all the references to old hollywood movies and TV shows.

Being brave doesn't require overcoming your fears. Being brave requires you to push on in spite of them.

Being brave is only possible when you're scared or nervous.

The argument could probably made for Looney Tunes, Simpsons, and a lot of other shows better than it could be Courage.

I think Mr Enter forced himself to make a negative review of one of the episodes. His reasoning being that every show has bad episodes, even if you have to force yourself to think something is bad. You don't even hear him talk about the episode and already you want to slap him.

What episode did Horus even appear in like that?

scariest episode? The one with the spiders.

That one was basically just a recycled version of Randy the Robot.

>so its ok to beat the species that caused you pain?
Did you just read the first sentence and instantly replied without reading the rest of my argument?

Are you so dense that you couldn't understand the very basic moral of the episode without someone spelling it out for you?

Did you blow in from stupidtown?

I think Dilworth is jewish, but ultimately the show had a lot of characters that were somewhat mocking of jews.

The Data worm in the cyberspace episodes and the Monks in the golden hat episode came off as jewish.

In Courage you didn't always know what to expect. In Regular Show it's always the same shit, something like: They do something stupid to [thing] they need to get for Benson/Muscleman/Skips/Pops for reasons established earlier in the episode, but wait this dumb thing they did angered the guardian of [thing]! Now they must overcome this challenge by the [thing] guardian/deity/whatever, which they do quite easily even though it's depicted in a way where it's implied to be hard. The [thing] guardian explodes destroying the vicinity, they deliver [thing] then get yelled at by Benson to clean this mess or they will be fired. Not all episodes are EXACTLY like this, sure, in fact the best ones are those that try different things, but sadly most episodes don't.

I didn't really like the one with the art museum and the stuff that comes to life, does anyone else remember that one?

In terms of entertainment value, I genuinely don't like The Mask. There's not really any funny moments, there's not a ton of horror elements, and Kitty just annoyed me. It seemed like it was trying to be a lot more mature than a kids' cartoon would allow it to be.

It's memorable, for sure, but I only remember it because I didn't and still don't like it.

What in fuck, hell no. Cajun Fox was amazing. My family still sometimes spouts off "HOO-DAAARRRE" because we all loved that episode so much. It was Looney Tunes-level slapstick and it was glorious.

ur a faget

Yes but that one was fun because of the Thinker.

The only issue with The Mask was it didn't really explain or imply why Kitty was pretending to be human other than to avoid getting discovered by Mad Dog. It also didn't do a good job of explaining why Courage continued to perceive her as a monster after it was revealed that she was a cat.

Otherwise, it did an excellent job at conveying it's message.

Some people dislike Cajun fox because as stated earlier, it was a different concept of courage that the majority of the show never looked backed on.

It was like a bugs vs. daffy episode that stood out in the series but ultimately stood apart from it.

Could Courage defeat Superman?

Keep in mind courage has been hit by moon sized objects going at relativistic speeds, walked on the surface of the sun, and once destroyed a star by screaming at it.

Why would they ever fight?

I remember the flan episode as being just creepy, not entertaining.

Sup Forums, you are not perfect.

>It also didn't do a good job of explaining why Courage continued to perceive her as a monster after it was revealed that she was a cat.
Gee, I wonder why Courage might have a problem with giant, talking cats

I mean he still imagines her as a masked monster with sharp teeth. Though this may have something to do with an overall theme to the mask.

One you tube reviewer explained it once but I forget what the mask theme meant.

That's actually a really good point if it was intentional.