Memes aside, was the first Shrek movie good?

Memes aside, was the first Shrek movie good?

Yes.

The world they live in, actually became quite interesting in their mixture of "modern" elements with fantasy.

It was okay enough. Didn't really do anything too offensive other than open the floodgates for the rest of the dreamcrap.

Shrek 2 is better than Shrek 1

Yes, but also applies.

Shrek 2 was peak shrek, where everything was shrek flavoured, coloured or shaped. You read that right, flavoured.

I really enjoyed this movie. It's a classic.

Two was better

>Finding Nemo wins Oscar the year before
>One year later Shrek 2 gets nominated
>A Shark's Tale also gets nominated
>Academy scratches its head with Shark's Tale, thinks didn't something similar win last year
>Academy notices Shark's Tale is also made by Dreamworks along with Shrek
>Academy thinks how uncreative, neither deserve winning
>Oscar goes to The Incredibles
Will always blame A Shark's Tale for ruining Shrek2's chances at Oscar repeating

Blame the judges these fuckers only have one job

You act as if the Incredibles was undeserving of that award.

It wasn't as good as Shrek 2.

>A Shark's Tale also gets nominated

Was 2004 really that bad?

Shrek 1: Okay
Shrek 2: Great
Shrek 3: Annoying
Shrek 4: Forgettable
Puss in Boots: Decent
Holiday Specials: Why do these exist!?

You forgot the 3D Sepcial: Amazing

It's weird how a studio like Dreamworks make something so bad like Shark Tale, and then go on to make one of, if not the best CG film of all time.

Shrek 1 is better than 2, don't listen to the Nostalgia Critic-parroting plebians here

Shrek 1 had Smash Mouth. Shrek 2 does not have Smash mouth. Therefore, shrek 1 is superior.

I think Shrek is a better film than Shrek 2, mostly because the former has way less characters, making it feel more comfy and cozy.

Shrek 1 was more subtle with it's references and themes than the later entries. It's one of the few non Disney CGI animated movies that actually treats the viewer like an adult. The sequels felt childish and dumbed down by comparison.

Shrek 3 could've been good if it's story had not been attached to such a bland script. I still think 3 beats 4 because at least 3 was original unlike "It's A Wonderful Life Variation #6385".

it was pretty bland desu
but it built a good world for Shrek 2 to take advantage of and be brilliant
everything else is pure /trash/

yeah but Shrek 1 has no Bonnie Tyler
logic = debunked

Is Shrek still Dreamwork's mascot?
I feel that without memes, the ogre would have been forgotten as a relic of the 2000's

>it will never he the early 2000s again
>you will never again get an ice cream cake from Baskin Robins with Shrek decorations placed in it
I loved those cake decorations. I kept them for years.

Holy fuck

I never watched Kung Fu Panda 2 because I felt it was unneeded but goddamn I might just watch it now.

This franchise was garbage. Toilet humor and fart jokes are the lowest of the low. Obnoxious character design, too.

It's much more serious than KP1. It's legitimately great, and also features the best villain Dreamworks has ever had, not that there was much contest.

Even when I was a kid, I wanted to fuck Dragon.

Did anyone else think it was kind of fucked up how in Shrek 4 they murder Rumpelstiltskin's goose for no reason and laugh at the smoldering corpse in front of him? It's fine to gloat at a villain's defeat but animal abuse bothers me.

Boy are you missing out, it's easily one of the most beautifully animated and well-choreographed 3D animated movies ever.

It's weird, since it doesn't really have much of an aesthetic of its own besides kind of realistic, I guess?

I remember when it was new and Dreamworks was talking about how much work they did to make it realistic, like making character's lips stick together for a split second when their mouths open.

Hell yes.

The wrestling scene is GOAT.

I actually really like Shrek 1
The first movie of a series always ends up having this simple, original charm to it. Even if 2 is a better movie, I like 1 more. It's a more pure implementation of the concept, whereas the sequels are an expansion on it.

Also 2 didn't have enough Dragon