What would have actually happened to Arnold if he had taken his helmet off on Pluto...

What would have actually happened to Arnold if he had taken his helmet off on Pluto? Obviously he wouldn't freeze into an ice crystal because there isn't enough moisture. I don't think he would have died instantly, either. It probably would take one or two seconds at least, right? Would he just suffocate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AXxBhOc7jEA
cnet.com/news/what-happens-to-the-unprotected-human-body-in-space/
smodcast.com/channel/edumacation?audio=96
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_exposure
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spaceflight-related_accidents_and_incidents#Astronaut_fatalities
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19650027167.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

His blood would have vaporized and probably some other things that would have killed him instantly.

Pluto sits around -240C
He'd die basically instantly

Suffocation is the big threat. He would also get a lot of blown blood vessels because of the pressure drop. Sunburn is also a consideration, but i don't know how bad it would be from that distance to the sun

Yeah, but it has no atmosphere, so how is he going to lose heat if he doesn't have a medium into which to lose it?

At that distance, the sun just looks like another star in the night sky, according to the episode.

Cartoons don't have the balls to make nightmare fuel like this anymore, sad

a person can survive exposure to hard vacuum for about a minute, although 30 seconds is the threshold before irreversible harm begins

without air, his head would cool slower than you think since it would lose heat solely through radiation although still fairly dangerous

if he had taken it off to the point of death he would have been freezer burned, as the freezing water ruptures all of his cells, and he would leak all his fluids out, becoming a dessicated corpse with a thin layer of frost made of his own fluid, mummified by the cold and pressure

If Arnold died, would The Magic School bus have been a better show?

They might have replaced him with his cousin Wanda, which would make the show ten times worse. Wanda has Arnold's whining plus she is also a narcissist.

*Janet
But, yeah, that would've been worse.

"has no atmosphere" is relative. even in deep space heat is radiated and dispersed, and there is an entire planet with dust below him

cousin Janet

Wanda was the asian regular

Yeah, but I mean there isn't enough atmosphere for him to die from the heat loss first, I think he would die from the vacuum first.

Taking off your helmet in outer space and suddenly freezing into an ice crystal feels like something that people would make DA galleries full of fetish art of other characters doing, like delitization and wearing The Mask.

If this isn't already an offshoot of petrification it will be soon.

>Arnold takes off his helmet on Pluto
>elementary school me flips out
>mfw all he got was a bad cold

Because of it's orbit, it does actually have an atmosphere sometimes.

As soon he he would have gotten his helmet unlatched it would have shoot off into space.

it would be very painful

yabb

METEORWRONGS

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Arnold was the best part of the show you slut

How did they even end up treating Arnold after this? Did Miss Frizzle hop on the necromantic school bus?

Liz has healing kisses, did you miss that one?

There are lakes of liquid helium on Pluto. If Arnold took his helmet off there, all the energy from his molecules would be sucked out really fast and then some science shit happens and his brain would become a kind of superconductor. Essentially, this means that his brain could forever operate on its own and he's be fully aware of the fact that he's be drifting through space for eternity. If Ms. Frizzle and the kids brought him back to Earth, he'd basically be a self aware vegetable. Something like that, I'm not entirely sure.

How does a planet have an atmosphere "sometimes"?

you're not very smart are you?

Short answer is that Pluto's atmosphere freezes and falls back to the surface when it receives less sunlight.

Why did they visit Pluto when it's not a planet?

he would freeze instantly. nothing spectacular, purple skin with hematomes here here and there. the liquids in the body would freeze before expanding

I see what you did there.

youtube.com/watch?v=AXxBhOc7jEA

>YO! HOLY SHIT! HE'S DEAD!

that's not true.

cnet.com/news/what-happens-to-the-unprotected-human-body-in-space/

>Do you see your children, Arnold? It's okay. They're right there with you.

Um... you'd die user.

Um, Batman?

you cant train your fucking cells batman jesus

smodcast.com/channel/edumacation?audio=96
They talk about it pretty early on in the episode.

But it's true. Heat loss is extremely slow in a vacuum. Death from cold is death from heat loss.

>all these people think you'd freeze instantly

So unless there's an atmosphere you wouldn't actually dissipate heat very quickly at all. There's just no medium for you to lose the energy through. Thermodynamics. Not that it wouldn't feel cold, it's just the lack of pressure that kills you way way before the cold. And that takes 15-20 seconds for a person to die in a vacuum. Maybe 10 for a kid, I don't know.

>no atmosphere
Space is a fucking vacuum if his blood didn't boiled vaporize it would have frozen and crystallized. Either way he loses heat and dies a black death.

Astronauts have been exposed to vacuums before due to in-space accidents. You'd die of asphyxiation long before you'd lose enough body heat to die of hypothermia, much less freeze. Vacuum forces might burst some capillaries and fuck up your eardrum, but won't cause fatal damage.

Why did he give an evil smirk right before taking his helmet off?

Also would Ms. Frizzle be arrested if a kid died or went missing on a field trip? Does the school even know they're missing on these field trips amost every day?

Hold on I did some more thinking about this. The instant evaporation the moisture on your skin would feel cold but that's it. You would basically be in no danger of freezing at all.

More interesting is the way he took off his helmet would lead to immediate explosive decompression. His flesh would be sucked towards the opening as soon as it was just barely open. His helmet would launch into the air because of his skin and blood and most of the rest of him rocketing out the tinyest opening and basically liquifying in the process.

It's not the lack of pressure that would kill him like I said before, it's the DIFFERENCE in pressure between inside and outside his suit.

Has anyone ever straight-up died from vacuum exposure, or have they all been non-atmosphere related equipment/reentry failures?

she'd use the magic school bus to go back in time and save him

How did she get the magic school bus to begin with? And since it can transform, is its real form even really a school bus?

>The only known humans to have died of space exposure are the three crew members of the Soyuz 11 spacecraft: Vladislav Volkov, Georgi Dobrovolski and Viktor Patsayev. During re-entry on June 30, 1971, the ship's depressurization resulted in the death of the entire crew.[8][9]

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_exposure

>Don't worry kids. This is the timeline for sure where you all make it back from space alive.
>wait what?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spaceflight-related_accidents_and_incidents#Astronaut_fatalities
Some Russians in the early 70's. Good luck finding much information on the incident, though. With Soviet Russia we're lucky to even know it happened.

>How did she get the magic school bus to begin with?
probably bound a demon of knowledge to an ordinary school bus

thank fucking god

But the thing is that the body is only pressurized at 1 atmospheric pressure. The body can easily endure 2 atmospheres of sudden pressure under-water. It wouldn't necessarily be pleasant, but it would hardly be fatal. Outward pressure isn't really any different from inward pressure; the only one-way valves the human body has are on the inside.

Ok I asked someone about it.

You dont instantly freeze, its a bit worse than that.
Because all liquid in your eyes and skin evaporate you lose heat very quickly, but because you're in vacuum all moisture in your skin will instantly be boiling and evaporating, and after that your blood will suffer the same fate.
So its not instant, but 5-10 seconds and very painful.

Was the bus really "magic"? I thought it was just ridiculously advanced sci-fi technology. There was an episode where it malfunctions and Ms. Frizzle takes it to this mechanic that works on weird vehicles and robots.

That's just pressure. The energy of an explosive decompression depends on the difference in pressure and also the size of the opening. If it was a small opening the same amount of force would be applied to a smaller area.

In this gif the opening would be the infinitesimally small ring of an opening around the base of his helmet as soon as he losened it.

But also that's if he took his helmet off like he did in the gif. You're probably right because doing that would itself just be impossible. The helmet and all the air in the suit would just be gone as soon as he unfastened it.

So yeah you're probably closer to right.

Blood wouldn't be exposed to the vacuum, silly, it'd still be pressurized by the structural integrity of the body (put a sturdy, well-closed canteen of water in a vacuum, the water inside won't evaporate). Even if you had a cut, the vacuum would increase the rate of blood loss substantially (1 atm of pressure is about 9 times the pressure of our circulatory system), but not catastrophically.

Also for the record in case you are getting any ideas, yes it "boils" but that doesn't mean it's violently destructive or painful; it just means that it's rapidly peacing off from your body to go enjoy the vastness of space. The experience would be a rather intense chill because of the heat loss.

just because something is a machine with moving parts doesn't disqualify it from being magic

Pressure is not exponential in any way. To the contrary, it is the strength of the pressure which causes the force of the decompression and not the other way around. The size of the exit point will not cause the rate of the leak to increase, but will simply decrease the rate of air loss. If you poke a very small hole in a tire it does not release the air more violently than a slightly bigger hole; it just takes longer for the pressures to equalize.

There is nothing magic about the number 0 when it comes to pressure. A 1 atm body exposed to 0 atm would behave (almost) identically to a 2 atm body exposed to 1 atm. And tires are generally stored at about 2.5 atm, give or take.

Also the different individual chemicals in your body would evaporate in a specific order. The fact that the nitrogen gets sucked from your blood before the oxygen leaves your blood extremely acidic and burning in your veins for a few seconds before you lose consciousness.

Huh, yeah you're right. I'm mostly getting my impression about this from movies and from a gif of a crab getting sucked into a cracked deep-sea pipeline. I'm not well educated.

Great now I know too much about space exposure.

I never needed to know any of this.

there's only a remote chance of some cosmic disaster stripping away all of Earth's atmosphere in a single moment, and it whatever it is would probably instantly kill you before that happened anyway

>Sup Forums tries to be /sci/
>Sup Forums failes

Well I hope you kids learned something today.

He would've been fine because Pluto is flat.

>Sup Forums tries to spell a word
>Sup Forums fails

You can't train your cells Batman

You know it's called "Magic" school bus for a reason. Have they ever scientifically studied what makes the bus Magic?

>Batman needs to expose himself to the vacuum of space to achieve an erection

>becoming a dessicated corpse with a thin layer of frost made of his own fluid, mummified by the cold and pressure

Shit, user.

Why does anyone think Arnold was in danger here? His suit detected a compromise and deployed a crystalline Shield to protect the user. Obviously.

and? Pluto's atmosphere is 10mbar

nah the boy's just really sweaty, and it crystallized around him as a natural defense.

*microbar

The same thing happens to me when a cute girl talks to me.

That's just natural instincts warding off succubi.
Salt in the sweat keeps demons away.
Science m8

>Sup Forums tries

> Blood vaporizing
Go back to school, kid.
The internal pressure of water is barely enough to feel a little puffy.

The only thing you need to know: don't try to hold your breath. You'll fuck up your lungs and eventually you'll lose your teeth.
You have 15 seconds before you pass out.
You can only hope someone revives you in next 3 minutes, if all hope is lost, assume the position of really funny looking space debris.

Closing your eyes is a good idea, I think. Dry eyeballs could be bad.

Pulling pants down would be a nice idea as well, the colon decompression WILL happen.

I think the problem is that your blood wouldn't, you know, work

Clever bastard.

Due to Pluto's basically nonexistant atmosphere, taking his helmet off on Pluto would be functionally identical to taking it off in deep space, unless his skin made contact with the actual surface of the planet.

His body's still pressurized, so his lungs probably wouldn't rupture if he were holding his breath, but he probably wouldn't be able to keep it in - it would just force its way out of his nose and mouth. Blood vessels close to the surface of his tissues would probably rupture, so he'd get some nice rosy cheeks (and everything else on his face), and the whites of his eyes would be a lovely scarlet for a while. That said, it probably wouldn't kill him immediately. He wouldn't have to worry about the cold because there's not enough atmosphere to conduct his heat away from him before he suffocates.

So he might have about thirty seconds of suffocation before he passes out (assuming he doesn't get the helmet back on), which would be fairly horrifying but still not as dramatic as what happened in the episode.

No, he's right. Arnold would freeze eventually but the lack of oxygen would get him far sooner.

Don't you fucking even.

>Go three rounds with wildcat bare-fisted and tell me about cellular.

What does even mean, Batman?

It certainly won't be good for him, but the difference in pressure he'd experience isn't nearly enough to explode a person.

ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19650027167.pdf

>The effect on the chimpanzee of rapid decompression to a near vacuum

man, nasa used to be hardcore, what happened.

i don't know man

apollo 13 is my favorite movie I play it non stop 24/7 in the background