HYW/How's Your Webcomic? #348

Post your comic here, tell us about it. Share your process. Tell us your inspirations.
Previously on HYW: Prompt-Draw your character's ideal mate
Topic-How has your progress/improvement been?

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
ggz.thecomicseries.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=AZn9ghG9nRw
abnor.com.br/?lang=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

i just finished this page

i also went back and fixed page 5 where i drew the wrong dress on Ladara, she is wearing the right clothes now!

It is almost impossible to decipher the flow of this page.

well its not rocket science user: youtube.com/watch?v=AZn9ghG9nRw

user: i appreciate what you've done, really, but
you had all day to make a thread, but you waited until someone else made a shitty one. Don't act like you have the high ground here.

as for that activity, I love it!

its not up to one person to do the threads. its everyones effort
and i just got back

>as for that activity, I love it!
thanks and happy v-day

i was going to make a shitty comic about a seagull, just for fun, haven't gotten back into it yet.

kek i like it
where do you plan on going with this?

just doing it for fun.
i've had this idea in my head for quite a while now.
i plan on making it a comedy.

no i mean storywise

>i just got back
okay that's an honest excuse
it is a wonderful, wonderful day

oh, i don't really want to spoil anything, although i will say steven seagal makes an appearance.

I could see this little fucker having some interesting adventures. Maybe something going on around him that he's totally clueless to, but nonetheless plays a significant role in. Like he stops a robbery by shitting in the crook's eye, but then as he's being taken away he knocks over a can of paint that splatters on the police car's windshield and it crashes and the guy gets away. that kind of shit. just meaningless go-nowhere plots that are fun to see through

Trying to recreate my standard inking and lettering brushes after updating Krita. I think I've almost got it down.

I think I love doing these wacky ink doodles a little too much, haha.

that doesn't sound like a bad idea

So, I started making my website for my comic and I've been looking at the pastebin for do's/don'ts for starting a site, and it says not to host images on your domain, but to use Amazon's services instead. Any reason for that? Like, what are the cons of hosting images on your own domain?

here's a sample of my art, am I good enough for web comics?

>character's ideal mate
Hey maybe you guys can help me with this. They're not going to be actual characters in the story but I do plan on some kind of epilogue, and it's gotta show who people marry, because Sasha, Robin, and Riven deserve happiness and hot dickings
I have some ideas in mind for the first two not Ryuko. stop asking, Lenoh. but the last one has me flummoxed. Who do you think she'll end up with? Will she be a foreveralone nerd? who's Robin going to snag? who could put up with her kookiness? and what do you think of this oni feller? We know she likes those, she jumped the bones of an 11-footer once

MARBLE OR BC?

you should never blindly listen to dos-and-donts, but I think the idea here is that Amazon provides good hosting and makes it a lot easier. Last thread we had a big discussion about the complexities of being the sole person responsible for keeping your website functioning, and not everyone can or should handle that

abnor.com.br/?lang=en

50 pages down, 200 or so to go

Gotta ask, what happened to the elf's offered quest at the end of the last page? did that go through or not? Did someone else have dibs on THAT one too? Poor sanaa and tadeu..
I love that you're making fun of yourself a bit in this one..
and I'm glad to hear there's plenty more pages coming (or is that a joke?) because I was suddenly scared this comic might be winding down

looks good user, are you using 3d models for the buildings/vehicles?

was thinking of doing that myself

I rarely did anything comic related lately, but at least I got this lousy V-day update.

The elf's quest is the very first arc in the comic, that triggers this loooong 40 page flashback we just came out of.
The writer has an idea of how many pages he will need to tell the full story, we have a list of the sagas and arcs it will have, so 200 is sort of a serious estimative of how many pages we will need, but each arc always takes one or two more pages longer than he anticipated.
We just finished the first saga with this flashback I think. What made you think it was winding down though?

Thanks, man. I used 3D models for the carriage, the staircase and the table scenes on the last 2 rows. Tried and failed miserably to use one for the city. I still rely on photos for references, but I highly recommend using sketchup to set up scenes.

cute as hell
looks familiar though, did you start this earlier?

ohh hahaha, flashback goodness. I thought that might be the case. So that was the thing with the cherufes. Man that is fantastic.

Well just because of the way things have come full circle (I recognized that much at least) and the talk of their final goal (buying an Inn) seemed to be getting more focus, I thought maybe they were going to finally settle down.. but I was hoping it wouldn't

I wouldn't THINK it was time to end it, but that comic about the girl fighting for the rabbits ended right after it started, despite establishing this huge, full setting with a giant tower populated by 12 kinds of animals, and we only saw four of them

It's from a webcomic of mine I started 5 years ago. It's been on hiatus for half a year or so, so I cannot say it's ongoing, but I'm working on the sidelines to give it some closure.

Just realized there's a stupid typo. That happens when you don't proofread 5 times before greenlighting this.
I'll fix it tomorrow.

I meant this specific page

Oh, nope, I don't think I shown this page anywhere until I finished it, so I'd say no.

/ic/, please...

I'm inking off of sketches I did over a year ago and it's more like liberally interpreting a scribble

still a lot easier than working from scratch, am I right?
psst, do you ever think about, like, the sizes of lenses that would be required for big-eyed characters?

That's when I do my best ink work, desu. Helps me to "invent the line" rather than trace. My pencils have actually gotten way looser because of it.

Yeah, I read that discussion, I was the person asking about it last thread. I am a complete newbie to running a website so anything to ease the repsonsibilities would be welcome for now, until I learn how to actually do this. My main concern is that I really have no idea how much Amazon would cost me because I don't know how much data would be transferred out every month, as well as how all the other fees would factor in.

If anyone else uses Amazon S3, how much does it cost you each month? Or if you don't use Amazon, how do you host the images to your comic?

I wish I could help you but I do know that this is one of the most popular hosting options (Or it was like 2-3 years ago anyway) so it's kinda like Photoshop.. might be a lot of shit to sort out, but it's popular enough that there's tutorials all over the place. I'd be stunned if you couldnt easily find some help with this process

I'm laughing pretty hard at this.. The crumminess of it combined with the unexpectedly but inconsistently realistic animals really hits me in my gallbladder or someplace like that.
you gots more?

took some advice from a previous thread about establishing character location and clarity. any more suggestions before I move onto color?

1/2

this is probably the fastest I've ever done a page because I didn't realise it was already my update day so here's to hoping there is no glaringly obvious errors I missed

ooh that is a nasty wound just offpage. can't wait
backgrounds are great, I can definitely follow where they are now relative to each other, at least just about. I know he's at the river there and you established the river nicely..
I also think I'm noticing some of your previously stiff art loosening up a bit. Good on that.

Trying a new style.

and 2/2

Huh. outlineless. I feel like maybe when you have a better grasp of structure you should revisist this, because aspects of it (especially the really clean shapes) are pretty cool... but for now your art really doesn't need something that relieves it of its structural boundaries. Kinda the opposite.
If you do continue with it though, make sure you think in 3d when you shade things. see how the beveled edges on sarah's hair and legs make them look completely flat? whereas the nice curved shading on the sweater gives it a little more depth. I've noticed you doing a lot better shading and shining on hair lately, not just sticking with rimlighting, so hold onto that and keep developing it!

I rescued an industrial light-table from a foundering biology department, so I've been able to go over my older stuff and practice flow management and composition. For comparison here's what it looked like previously.

Thanks, Have this I did just now.

Also Nice trips

Forgot pic

already an improvement, if a little muddled. shading is hard, knowing when and how to connect all the pieces still befuddles me to this day.
My only real advice for here (aside from the usual issues of tightening up the uneven parts) is see how his nose has so much elaborate shading that it almost looks detached, but his inner ear doesn't have any at all? food for thought

Concept character art for a webcomic I'm co-creating

Finally got around that Protagonist reveal

>drunken fratboy horus
>horace nametag
I can't even.. dude, I really want this to continue. it looks like it could be real Adult Swim material
and for that, you're gonna have to get a little better at drawing mmkay? just a few areas, but you've gotta learn how to draw hands, and remember that a gut sticks out in front, so those legs should be placed further back.

>He's gonna do it, the absolute madman!

kek, ok user

I have been spending way too much time at the internet firearm database because I knew that sucker before Guntank there did.
Hav eyou posted here before? doesn't look very familiar. I like it, at least some of it. Watch out for that growing forehead syndrome in the bottom left panels. also might be worth investing in some larger word balloons, they're getting cramped in some places.

thanks for the advice!

precious internet memes

Yes I have. Many times in fact.

Well the word ballon problem is gonna have to be something I'll have to deal with as I go since this first part of the story I wrote like a jackass, as for the forehead, that's how he is supposed to look.

oh it's frenchfries lizard dragon lady comic! Awesome.
>how he is supposed to look
in that case, watch out for SHRINKING forehead disease in the FIRST panel

I've been thinking of trying to nail down some more solid black forms on and , like I did in pin related, from an earlier chapter. The thing is, this earlier example takes place at night by a fire, so its easier to place contrasts than with the day scene . Any suggestions or guides for inking solid forms?

I shrinked his forehead in the first panel because it looked too big when I first did it, also he's looking downwards sorta.

I'm glad I dropped the lanky/square eyes look, his design has come a long way.

oh it's uniformed space heroes guys comic. Man, can I get a title for this thing? This is the third or fourth time now I've thought you were someone else, but you were really you

It's called Knight of Fire, but I find it funny how people just don't recognize it most of the time especially considering that early 2016 I came here for help with the character designs, and then back in September to storytime a short ''proof of concept'' I made. Maybe I should watermark the pages.

Well that's just it, you left us for so long.. and it looks so familiar but indistinctly familiar, especially since you keep improving your art.
Knight of Fire isn't gonna stick in my memory very well, I'm afraid. It's already a book, a song from Xenogears, a different book.. besides the comic is about four people with different abilities, right? not just one..

Me and my friends threw ideas around, like some edgy stuff like ''Dangerous Days'', but that was already the working title of Blade Runner, so we changed it to ''Deadly Days'', and then I started doing some pretty terrible stuff like ''Royal Patrol'', either way Knight of Fire is the only title that really stuck with me, one because it's based on a song, two it really isn't about the other 3 characters as much as they're there to compliment the main one, but I still tried brainstorming about the titles but I just fucking suck at it, not even something like ''Futuristic Clusterfuck'' sticked with me.

Thread did a die before could post the finished article - happy Valentine's Day, /hyw/!

Well like, said, Knight of Fire is used elsewhere, have you thought of taking a few more steps of separation? its cool to be influenced by a song or a term, but sometimes just using the words can be too on the nose. maybe translate it into some different languages, look at latin roots, find something striking and phonetically pleasing at the same time. for instance, "Knight of Fire" is "Eques Ignis" in Latin.

well I'll try to remember it anyway because I'm glad you're around

hot

Last minute Greg and Goldie update, for Valentine's day. Nearly as hasty as the first chapter style, but it looks a little more put together.

have they seriously raised the smoking age to 19?

It's a New Jersey specific law. I think 18 is the national standard.

>missed update day (sunday)
>each day it gets easier to ignore
Fuck

Is this how it begins

dude, I'm so slow that I update like once a year. Granted, its like a 10 page chapter a year and I'm doing everything with ink and paper because I'm an old fuck. Relax, and just focus on getting the update done, not the time constraints.

Yes. That is exactly how that starts, and you are remarkably self-aware for realizing that. So now be remarkably self-motivating and UPDATE YOUR FUCKING COMIC.

I solve that by starting my next update directly after the late one
unfortunately that just makes me dawdle sometimes thinking I'm 'ahead'

>write ahead in the story in thumbnails instead of finishing current page/s
>"see, I'm working on the comic!"
>actively recognize what bullshit that is but fall into complacency anyway
Literally took an Adderall prescription to get me back into it, and I still need to shake off some bad habits.

>check script i wrote last week
>literally the laziest joke I've got yet
almost feels like cheating
fuck it i have class in 7 hours

still better than 90% of /hyw/

>almost feels like cheating

If there's anything I've learned, it's that in the world of cartooning cheaters DO prosper.

I've had to let go of that idea myself. I studied art from a practical perspective as a sculptor, getting into welding and drafting, so I've never taken many drawing classes, and the idea of tracing scenery or modelling a close up after a real person or a photograph bothered me. I felt like I had to be able to draw anything from scratch, so I don't use any kind of references. It shows in how long it takes me to complete things and in how stiff my work is sometimes as said.

Have an off topic character study.

Saw this on my dash before. Really nice work!

all my characters are big-eyed characters, so I draw glasses pretty huge. It's not strange at all, I'm wearing glasses right now and the lenses literally take up most of my scope of vision so they seem huge regardless.

Only a couple other drawings of the capybara. This is the only other "comic" I did.
I can share the former as well. If anyone cares

Man, I am tired of trying to draw

I haven't updated since April.
I have like 30-40 pages done too.

backlog the shit out of it my dude

sit down a day youre particularly free and make like ten comics one after the other

and then as son as you have the chance do ten more comics

always draw more than you need, always have a couple of comics ready to go just in case

the good thing is that once you get into the rythm of making multiple comics it becomes natural

the only downside is this

Should we make it more obvious in the dialogue what the quest is about? We thought people would get right away what Valadares is talking about, we already saw the elf chief on page 5 and all that but... maybe we should add something like "they are having trouble with cherufes" to make it easier?

I have no idea what comic you are talking about, but don't worry, we will explore the continent of Abnor quite a bit still, after all, this is The essential backpacking guide to the continent for the professional adventurer on a budget, even if it doesn't do a very good job of being a guide.

also, lets talk about religion

how do you treat religion in your comic?
are there gods in your setting?
are they real?
if they are real, is what's written about them in the sacred text accurate?

and thats it for today

This was a golden chance to take a break from doing stupid smut requests I'm doing atm.
There's no way I could let this one slip.

heh.
xant tell whos talking though and capis shoulders and elbows are dislocated in the second panel

i like it

make jesus' holy shine have less lines, that ways it looks lighter and not like an intertwined ball if yarn

good advice, i wasnt liking the halo either
fucking nice, saved

Does anyone know a way other than wayback machine to recover lost images of a comic that is no longer up? I am specifically looking for para-ten.com, no idea what the author is up to now but never responds to questions about his old comic... (And frankly his new style does not have the same charm). I got most of the pages from wayback, but there are several missing, and was wondering if anyone knew of a similar archive or another way to get them back