Why is DW Griffith not the greatest director besides "muh subhumans"

Why is DW Griffith not the greatest director besides "muh subhumans"

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14351539
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Everything he made is a fucking slog to watch. I thought Birth would be at least an entertainingly outdated epic, but I couldn't make it past 30 minutes.

He may be the greatest innovator, but he's not the greatest director by a long shot

Do you have any identifiable reason why?

Too many intertitles, too melodramatic, static camera

Silent movies have not too many quips.

Did he make ONE superhero movie? I ask you. What's what, he didn't? Then he can't possibly hope to compete with Gods like Zack Snyder.

That make up they wear is creepy asf
The women look okay but there's something about seeing men with caked on lipstick and eyeliner that's very off putting

Reminder that Golden Age Hollywood is the capeshit of its time.

>too many intertitles
Too much thinking you mean
>too melodramatic
Griffith takes the classical ideal nature of art to comment on modernism and mold an envisioned future
>static camera
Why is Griffith criticized for the qualities Ozu is praised for? Griffith created and mastered the tableau form of cinematography. He paints a window into the canvas of life.

Sounds more like the faults you find in Griffith are faults on your part. I suggest you fix those first before blaming someone else under the guise of criticism.

>never had to worry about colors and dialogue
>greatest director

>colors

>dialogue

>1 color
Why did Griffith only use 1 when Melies was already using more in 1902? What a hack

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not an intelligent answer

Oops!

>waaahh everything is capeshit

Yes, that's what I said.
European > American

but Griffith is american
checkmate

>Griffith
melodramatic, huge budget, spoonfeeds his audience

>Murnau
subtle, poetic, doesn't pander to his audience

Learn the difference between European Arthouse and American melodrama, it might save your life.

>subtle, poetic,
Oops!

>spoonfeeds his audience
in what way?
Certainly not as bad as the Germans

>European Arthouse
Oops!

Murnau is largely a studio hack. He and Lang were the highest grossers at UFA. There's a reason why he's not mentioned in early Sight and Sound polls. You can't even say his films were suddenly rediscovered when Nosferatu and Last Laugh have always been famous silents, and oscarbait Sunrise won an Academy Award

Who knew swinging a camera wasn't art?

Yeah, no.

Oh I don't know, for instance like he made an entire film called Intolerance after being accused of racism?

He's certainly the most influential.

I like Peckinpah better

He wasn't even that good at swinging a camera if you compare Griffith's works released near Sunrise and Faust

>I like overindulgent violence better
ftfy

>that list
are any of those "movies" actually good?

keep telling yourself that, I wouldn't expect anything more from an American who can only like American films which were the highest grossing of their time (read: the capeshit of its time)

>Yeah, you're right.
ftfy
>for instance like he made an entire film called Intolerance after being accused of racism
And what does that mean. Intolerance is a name, not solely what it's about. It should really be called Hypocrisy: The Injustice of Mankind, but it doesn't have as much a ring to it.

>movies
Stick to flying men in tights.

>highest grossing
Most of Griffith's works were flops.

Pretentious europoor vs. D.W. Griffith's biggest fan. Who will come out on top?

>t. pleb

Peckinpah was a genius, you embryo.

Greed has poisoned man's souls.

>Most of Griffith's works were flops.

what now?

TOP FILMS OF SILENT ERA
AND 1920s
(estimated)
Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925)
The Big Parade (1925)
The Singing Fool (1928)
The Birth of a Nation (1915)

come to the discord, I want to have a chat.

"For many critics and scholars — myself among them — D. W. Griffith’s Intolerance is the greatest film ever made. A century later we are as close to its subject as we are distant from its art. Political specifics, moral arguments, and movie styles may look different today, yet the only real difference is Griffith’s still-daring ingenuity, which calls for a more open-minded reception than in our simplistic habits we are accustomed to: It calls for an optimistic, united popular audience, which Griffith took for granted. When Intolerance premiered on September 5, 1916, its opening intertitles introduced silent-movie viewers to an extraordinary narrative device: “Our play is made up of four separate stories, laid in different periods of history, each with its own set of characters.” Employing a prologue and two acts, Griffith called it “a sun-play,” marked by florid melodramatics developed from Emersonian Transcendentalism, which film scholar Bill R. Scalia has described as “calling for an original American literature,” for “poets with the ability to ‘see’ past the material, apparent world to the world of eternal forms, which shaped nature in accordance with a divine moral imperative. Through this connection, man-as-poet would discover God in himself."

>"B-but ignore his writing on Peckinpah as art!"

No, he was a hippie that vented his frustration through escapist fantasies.

>Griffith only made Birth
Made over 500 works and only a couple epics. Largely independent, and diverted his money into United Artists to separate from Hollywood. But I know you don't knw any of this. You know more about what's in your nose than you do art.

>I cant read, massuh! I canta reeda massuh!!!
I can help you with that, boy

>it's another Griffithpleb, who after seeing one film of his in his Film 101 class now has to shill him in every thread, episode

come to discord, what are you afraid?

>top 4 grossing silent film of all time
>b-but Griffith is unknown and m-misunderstood I swear!

what am I supposed to call them?

>in most of his films the main characters go through pure hell
>in The Wild Bunch, his most famous film, most of the main characters gruesomely die
>"escapist fantasies"

stop shilling your shit

>over 500 works
>people only remember two
>one only because of KKK memes
Embarrassing

Not my shit. I just want to have a little chat.
But I see you're afraid since you're so used to target low hanging fruit in the letterpleb threads.
What a pity, Griffithfag turns out to be a coward after all, wouldn't expect any less from an (((amerimutt)))

That's some unwarranted narcissism.
If you need your boyfriends to fight your battles, you shouldn't be getting in fights, kiddo.
>Griffith top 4 highest grossing silent films
And which ones are those?

>unwarranted superiority complex
Wouldn't expect any less from a discordfag

It's not hard to be "great" in your time when nobody else is doing anything of worth. He was the greatest of his time and pioneered a lot of things but it doesn't mean he stacks up now.

Same way I view Citizen Kane. A brilliant film of the time. Pioneered. Wasn't that impressed on watching it. It's the Seinfeld affect. Better things have been made.

why can't americans accept that they are not the best at everything

>amerimutt
Nice wit.

Let me guess, you think all pre-1970 films are boring shit?

Nobody is online right now is just me and you, are you still scared? I promise I won't bully, as I said, I just want to have a little chat.

I'm not a discordfag, I am only opening discord right now so I can talk with you.
I'll give you 5 min then I'll leave it be.

The funny thing is that Birth of a Nation isn't even racist.

Never even stated that or hinted at it. The big movies of those days pioneered techniques we take for granted today and even into the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. They were landmark but OP's example and my example of Citizen Kane always being fellated as if it's the best thing fucking ever are just silly. I can appreciate a movie and it's influence on cinema without also claiming it's the best movie ever.

>very clearly states niggers are dumb beasts that need to be kept in line by the white man
>"isn't even racist."
WHAT? Even if you love the film there's no denying it's racist. For decades the KKK used it as a recruiting tool.

No one wants to hear about your murderous fantasies. Either pull the trigger or don't.

>I promise I won't bully
That should be something I'm saying.

Just admit you were wrong and go away. You can accuse Peckinpah's films of being indulgent violence but you can't accuse them of being escapist fantasies.

That's not racist, that's just obvious. Racism is like saying, "I hate niggers."

when you stop watching American melodramas, maybe. I promise I'm not courting you like Lillian Gish had to do to get into Griffith's capeshit, just come though, it'll be fun.

>accuse
Much like Griffith, I only state facts. If you can't handle the truth, you can't handle that the only thing you've ever succeeded at is barely being born. The gun's waiting, boy.

>melodramas
Cute. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Obviously because I exist.

because most movies are better with sound, grampy

grampy?

can you... CAN YOU HEAR ME GRAMPY?

I SAID - MOST (INHALE) MOVIES (INHALE) ARE BETTER (INHALE) WITH SOOOUUUND

>sound
anti-art

Ulyssess is obviously a rom-com, you illiterate pleb.

Non-sequitur remarks aren't arguments. Here's another truth. The gun won't shoot itself.

>Dziga Vertov [...] praised American narrative films for their dynamism, speed, and their use of close-ups."
>Chapin btfo's dynamists.png
Vertov you fucking idiot, you just contradicted Griffith-fag's point.

Damn, griffithfag just destroyed reddit in a couple hours. You're a godsend, griffithfag.

>Non-sequitur remarks aren't arguments.
Even monkeys are self-aware.

This. Griffithfag kill yourself. The reason he's not the best is because he didn't move the camera enough

You would know how monkeys "think", wouldn't you?

This. Griffithfag kill yourself, the reason he's not the best is because he moved the camera too much.

mind if I ask for a source?

This. Griffithfag kill yourself, the reason he's not the best is because he had too much action

This. Griffithfag kill yourself. The reason he's not the best is because he didn't have enough action

Let us settle this democratically
strawpoll.me/14351539

I'll give you the same answer I gave your mom when I left her before you were born.

I want more of Griffithfag's elitism on this board, but without the autistic obsession over one director.

i love his film "metropolis"

Are you still sore from when Synt fucked you in the ass yesterday?

Is that the face he made when he realized he was about to die and never made a single thing of worth.

>fucked
That's how I know this is one of your fantasies. Everyone knows synt is the catcher.

popcorn is the best

>yes

Your wit is as good as Synt's taste

MEGAAUTIST FUCKING KILL YOURSELF

NO ONE FUCKING LIKES YOU

Could Godard be a contender?

>4 votes
But why are /film/ posters such a minority on this board?

No.

Megaautist exposes his lack of understanding in cinema yet again. Also his severe inadequancy compared to chad synt.

The better question you should be asking is why your mom didn't get an abortion