Was season 3 a dream?

Was season 3 a dream?
WTF was going on? I'm not very smart and after watching s3 all the way through 3 times I still have no idea what's going on.
Someone, anyone, please just tell me wtf it was about. Please.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tzbruTi8LwM
youtu.be/pXth84G7dkM
youtube.com/watch?v=g50QrPP_rPs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Following the end of season 2, Cooper was trapped in the black lodge for 25 years while his doppelganger wreaked havok, raped Audrey and sired a son, killed Briggs, etc. After 25 years he was "allowed" to leave the lodge - this would involve swapping places with the doppelganger, but the doppelganger created a fake Cooper for real Cooper to swap with instead (Dougie) so on the appointed date and time, the doppelganger did not get sucked back into the lodge, Dougie did instead. Real Cooper replaced Dougie, but the stress of coming back to the real world fucked him up mentally, so he spends most of Season 3 as a popular retard.

When you watch anything made by that cockatoo fuck, just assume it's a dream and move on

>people surprised that Twin Peaks takes place in a dream world two and a half decades after Jeffries confirmed the fuck out of this
Plebs gonna pleb

The Doppelganger, meanwhile, is trying to get "Dougie" (actually the real Cooper) killed, so he sends various incompetent assassins including a midget. Some Las Vegas crime figures are part of the doppelgangers empire. Meanwhile in Twin Peaks, Dr Jacoby has become a radio counterculture preacher, Shelly is a two bit WHORE, Bobby is a cop, Shelly and Bobby's daughter is dating a drug addict, Jerry Horne is a pothead, etc

It was Judy all along.

The ultimate evil.

It's about waking up from the nightmare that is pop culture. The scenes in the roadhouse remind me of those GoT bar videos.

Man I fucking loved this season. Watching the last two episodes back to back fucked me up in the best way possible. Can't wait to watch it again once the blu-ray is out

i read somewhere that the last 2 eps play out parallel to each other or something

They're all living in their own dream

Yeah I remember reading about that, but wasn't it debunked by one of the producers doing an AMA or something?

Yes, suffice it to say Cooper never came out of the lodge but he was initiated.

Season 3 was Cooper's journey, his "fire walk", to becoming a powerful Lodge spirit like MIKE. This is shown by the scene with MIKE and Cooper in the middle of ep17: when MIKE recites the poem about the Magician, the camera flickers between Cooper and MIKE's faces rapidly, as if implying they are now the same entity. When he says "we live inside a dream" he means it - he is acknowledging the artificial nature of his reality, as well as the fluid way he can experience time and space.

"We live inside a dream" is also a direct allusion to the nature of the worlds Cooper and other characters inhabit - they are inside a TV show. There are two major supernatural forces at play in the show, pulling the strings - JUDY, which is a force which creates artificial conflict to make characters feel pain and sorrow, and the Fireman / Giant, which tries to combat JUDY by intentional manipulation of the show's plot, through deus-ex-machina like characters. This is reinforced by the machines the Fireman uses to achieve this goal - he uses large electrical devices to move characters around in the show, create characters to combat forces of JUDY, etc.

Ironically, JUDY is actually on the viewer's side - the show becomes dry and uninteresting without artificial conflict (as seen in Season 2). The Fireman is not on the viewer's side - his doings make the plot and writing feel hamfisted and artificial. If you didn't like the scenes where Laura was shown being created directly to combat BOB, or the scenes where that british faggot punches BOB to death, this is likely intentional - the Fireman cares not about creating an interesting or thought provoking narrative. While in the show JUDY is seen as evil and The Fireman as indesputible good, this is completely reversed in the context of the show as a whole.

The magician longs to see.

>people surprised that a show directed by a surrealist ex-painter whose films are notorious for being dreamlike, is actually a dream

"completely reversed" might be going a little far but yeah it's definitely more ambiguous in that context

Yeah, a lot of it is pretty ambiguous, but it's interesting to see the big connections. I think Frost and Lynch deserve a lot more credit than they get when it comes to the show's themes and meaning.

That's some powerful autism. I understand what you mean though. You're saying that David Lynch and Mark Frost decided to cynically milk Twin Peaks while not having any common creative goal. This seems to be the general consensus.

I think maybe Lynch is actually continuing the themes from Inland Empire, which was about art being violence. He's overtly abusive to his audience in season 3. It's designed to be frustrating.

David Lynch has given up (maybe) trying to save the audience, realising that it is pointless by the end of S3. The roadhouse scenes illustrate how how he sees the his relationship with the audience

Fuck I want to watch Twin Peaks badly but I also told myself that I want to rewatch first two seasons (watched them 2 years ago) before starting with the third season.
Now I barely have time or motivation to rewatch 2 seasons of twin peaks, can i just get into third seasons without remebering lots of what happened before?

When you search for random combinations of letters and you find an absolute fucking gem:
youtube.com/watch?v=tzbruTi8LwM

You only need to remember the ending scene of season 2

Watch the final episode of Season 2, then watch the fucking movie (which 90% of Season 3 is based off).

Why are there always posts like "I want to watch this, but not really"? Do you need somebody to help you watch a tv show? Are there not enough episode ranking images?

It's a hard show to get into. The second season has a lot of shit episodes, the movie is completely different to the first 2 seasons, and Season 3 is even more different. It's a show whose creators both simultaneously love and hate.

>It's a hard show to get into.

It's a tv show. Is it hard to get into because it's not entirely mediocre? Every thread is the same because of this shit.

david lunch lol

Most apt introduction I've yet read.

>all of these replies to obvious bait
the state of Sup Forums, everyone

>Judy.......

N I N
I
N

lol

>the monkey is a devolved form of Jeffries

haha

nice

Friendly reminder that it's been confirmed that Eddie Vedder recorded a song that plays during the Twin Peaks finale. It confirms Agent Cooper never gets his mind back. (Pic is evil Cooper)
Listen youtu.be/pXth84G7dkM

>watching FWWM for the first time
>dude donna god’s not real so just snort coke and fuck truckers and do whatever crazy shit you want lmao

Really Laura ?

based lunchposter

Bait is just one way to start a thread these days.

>we've moved on to non-/tpg/ threads about twin peaks
wake me up bros

Yeah when Cooper appeared in Laura's dream and told her she was smart I thought it was a step too far.

It's better than having to resuscitate the general all the time.

She was so fucking hot in that outfit, Christ.

youtube.com/watch?v=g50QrPP_rPs

Hey man, I was there for /tpg/ too. The memories will always exist.

Is Sheryl Lee the Sup Forums Twin Peaks waifu now? Haven’t really seen any Twin Peaks threads since the revival was announced and it was still all about Sherilyn Fenn

looks like cooper was going to stop eating cherry pie for some chocolate cake

jade give two rides

Two (2) rides, user.

jade was a fucking nigger i hate how (((lynch

What happened to Annie again?

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Twin Peaks. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Cooper's optimistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Criminal Justice literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about CRIMINALITY. As a consequence people who dislike Twin Peaks truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Leo's existential catchphrase “New shoes,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Henry David Thoreau's American memoir Walden. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as David Lynch's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them

Windom Earle's doppelganger escaped, raped her, shot Leo, and forced Phillip Jeffries into a giant teapot.

Damn, JIDF got him before he finished his post.

It all makes sense now.....

Yes, Sheryl is /ourgal/

she's fine

Imagine a directors commentary on the Bluray... Lynch wouldn’t reveal shit but bang on about inane details that no one gives a shit about.

It would be superb.

He doesn't do directors commentaries. He considers talking over movies a sort of blasphemy.

Boddy did nothing wrong :'(

>He considers talking over movies a sort of blasphemy.
Could he be anymore /ourguy/?
Lack of rape would be nice.