JSA Storytime: Wildcats 3.0

Good evening owls,

today is a Wild Storm day, innit

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/exclusive-chuck-dixon-graham-nolan-bane-dc-comics/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=lista
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So what was good today, other than the one-issue-double-whammy of #GiveCapABoyfriend and Spencer's obvious meta dig at everyone who's written Zemo since FabNic

What do I need to read for background on Steve and Zemo? Thunderbolts?

Ultimates2 is really good and actually the art is very good too. I was wrong to doubt. There's a nice consistency in some of the neat paneling moving from Rocafort to Foreman.

It's as good as the one in E2, and I have such a soft spot for "settling scores in a meta way within the exposition of a comic" if you can pull it off

Thunderbolts from Busiek through FabNic, and especially not missing Avengers/Thunderbolts, wherein Hawkeye tells them to "get a room"

how many times do you think steve and zemo fucked when they were at boarding school together

T W O
W
O

H U G S
U
G
S

It reminded me of the kryptonite poisoning retcon scene from Gates Supergirl. Just list all the stuff you're going to fix.

I wasn't nuts about The Wild Storm TM but reading this is making me think better of it. user in the thread here had the theory Cole is the barista - same hair colour.

BANE?

>Bane’s back and he’s ready to give his particular brand of villainy back to you — the people.

The character is already starring in the current “I Am Bane” arc of Tom King and David Finch’s “Batman” series, and CBR has the exclusive first word that writer Chuck Dixon and artist Graham Nolan will return to their creation in DC Comics’ upcoming 12-issue series “Bane: Conquest,” scheduled to debut in May.

>In “Bane: Conquest,” the title villain will reunite with Bird, Trogg and Zombie, his henchmen that have been mostly missing in action since their introduction in the 1993-1993 “Batman: Knightfall” arc, but who re-surfaced as part of the “I Am Bane” storyline. According to DC’s official description of the series, Bane will take his criminal ambitious out of Gotham, in search of “new cities to conquer and new enemies to crush.”

>“Always happy to be reunited with Graham and this is an especially heady experience returning to our most significant contribution to the Batman mythos,” Dixon, who created Bane with Nolan and Doug Moench, said in a statement. “The best aspect of this project is that it’s not a cameo or nostalgia tour for Graham and I. It’s more like we’re back after all this time to work on a truly epic story about Bane and we haven’t lost a step.”

cbr.com/exclusive-chuck-dixon-graham-nolan-bane-dc-comics/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=lista

Seeing Dixon at DC again is pretty surprising

Bane 12 issue series by Dixon is a really really stupid idea.

I see you all in the Steve thread, lol

It was...okay? The dialogue is still Peak Ellis and I can't imagine I'd be super interested if I didn't already have some idea of who and what these people are?

Batwoman, The Wildstorm, and Supersons were all okay to good

for you

I like the direction for it and the art but the writing just does nothing for me, Angie's dialogue was obnoxious as all hell for example. I wish the artist was on Deathstroke.

It fits with e.g. Bates and Weisman doing a Captain Atom mini.

That thing is going to drag, isn't it?

12 issues is a hell of a lot, really

I do like the art a lot, although we'll see how it goes when we get some bone-crunching action

I didn't like the artist on it as much as I expected to.

As if there's any doubt.

Oh and apparently Manapul is off Trinity.

Geoff Johns has brought back Chuck Dixon to DC.

Which I'd have probably been more in favour of before the whole Clinton Cash graphic novel.
Even if I agreed with the politics there (or if my political leanings mattered an atom to US politics) that would still be offputting to me. Like doing a graphic novel adaptation of a Bill O'Reilly or Chris Matthews book.

maybe just jerking off together but like in a totally not gay way

Of course, it's Dixon
He can drag things out wayyyy longer than it needs to be
Expect 6-7 issues worth of stuff

Yeah but I thought Dixon and DC had beef

There was a good amount of actual discussion in the Batwoman thread, certainly enough to block out "tumblr hair" and "Bennett REEEE"

Well, they got Rucka back too.

Unless he's suddenly changed his writing style, Dixon doesn't do decompressed. Knightfall was 12 issues.

Oh good, I'll take a look at that later

Trying to remember what I've managed to read that was actually new vs. old stuff I hadn't gotten around to yet.

USAvengers was pretty goddamn fantastic. Al Ewing for TVA and/or Writer/Editor.

Dixon swears up and down he was blacklisted because he's a conservative but you know, Bill Willingham and Ethan Van Sciver aren't blacklisted either, sooooo
He seems like one of those writers that just fell out of favor
Happens to most.. Claremont, Wolfman, etc

It's never gay if you remember to say "no homo"

The one Ellis-ism that really gets me is like, the talking to nothing? Like Zealot's line at the end of her convo on the comms. It's so hard to imagine anyone actually saying that, even an alien super spy.

Hello, Storyteller.

Wild Storm was okay, if an obvious setup issue. Here's what I don't get though, people are complaining about Adrianna and Angela's designs, saying the original looks were better.

Never mind how one feels about the new looks, whatever. But when in the hell was "nude, but colored silver" ever acceptable as good design? That's just fucking lazy.

>"Bennett REEEE"
You mean Bennett yay. Sup Forums has such a boner for rebirth that it's been in love with any hack they throw their way

What's the over/under on Zemo appearing publicly with Cap as Citizen V?

I want what Scioli is smoking

Angie is also clearly in her beta release form

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

The art this issue makes everyone look kinda like a child.

Also I'm assuming everyone here saw the first issue of the new Wildstorm? Its looking bland so far.

>Miss, stop being naive and let the Men in Power (for a reason) argue over how this communist is trying to kill America

I'm not sure if this is sexist in favour of women or men.

Well, it's different so it's bad. You should already know this by now.

>But when in the hell was "nude, but colored silver" ever acceptable as good design?

The Silver Surfer

Still at a loss for how you didn't just give Scioli a Super Powers comic for Young Animal. The man needs no backup.

Sometimes the damage is so bad that's pretty much what you need to do to fix it.

Batman and the Outsiders sold decently, so it definitely wasn't a performance-related nixing.

He's just Zemo on the FCBD cover

that would be good

I bet it'll also crossover into Batman, Detective Comics, and Nightwing, and they'll bring Moench back to write a 12-issue Shadow of the Bat that exists only to crossover with Bane

>Bane #12-- The End to the Thrilling 96-part Epic is Here!

Does Dixon have a rep as finicky/hard to edit? Sometimes that builds up enough that people stop saying "yes" to projects. Huh, remember when Willingham left everything to Sturges?

He's doing another series at IDW so he can't. I think Super Powers back ups are ending soon anyway...

This art is a major downgrade from Nguyen. Panels 3-4 are practically webocomic tier.

tl;dr

>He's doing another series at IDW so he can't
He is? He's got a Transformers vs GI JOE one shot in March and he's working on a webcomic that updates once a wekk

And then they'll put Jurgens of Superman and Booster Gold and Meltzer on Justice League and Marz on Green Lantern and Wolfman on a Raven mini.

>Moench
>Shadow of the Bat
You mean Grant? Because fuck me I'd read the shit out of more Grant Batman.

check out those robotits, though

classic Batman and the Outsiders got a hardcover release and it's so tempting

that back up is comic of the year

The Batwoman stuff was just a fold-out Rebirth issue. I actually preferred the prior one. Also goddamn Bennett writes every lesbian couple the same way.

>Marz on Green Lantern
it's only a matter of time

He's supposed to have that Black and White thing coming eventually

Angela's setup is so obviously leading to her fixing her tech, to be reflected in a more streamlined suit.

Also, I really like Adrianna's spacesuit. She IS a cosmonaut and all. Her previous design kinda made me subconsciously see her as a bootleg Dr. Manhattan, so this change is most welcome.

The Silver Surfer's design is lazy garbage too.

>Also goddamn Bennett writes every lesbian couple the same way
are there any characters at all that she gives two distinct voices to

how so, if you don't mind?

"He's gonna fire her."

I had that thought in my head the moment I read that first panel, before I'd scrolled down to see the last one.

Of course he is. Because he's a strawman for dumb arrogant brute The Man types.

>But when in the hell was "nude, but colored silver" ever acceptable as good design?

It was acceptable in the 80s.

Not that I know of, but he did get mad that he had to throw out all his Batman and the Outsider plans because of Morrison's penchant for making last-minute changes to whatever he's doing. This was also during the era of "DC constantly fucking with McDuffie's Justice League through their last-minute changes and firing him for talking about it matter-of-factly on their forums"

>lazy garbage
That's a weird way to say iconic

F I S T
I
S
T

H U G S
U
G
S

Would Cap move to start a pissing match with American Intelligence Mechanics, though? Because 'Berto's the Citizen V now.

Speaking of, I bought this beauty not too long ago. I'm not usually one for statues, but how on Earth could I resist.

Yeah, I like the spacesuit a lot, it's the silhouette and the white eyes that ping you as VOID

I'm still kind of hoping that Pris is the naif, but she seems to be into music now and not an exotic dancer, boo

oh man, Helmut glomps onto him and Steve is all "what do I doooo"

On the couples? I don't know, it's just the impression I get from Insexts and Angela and we had a brief appearance of a couple of couples with Kate in this issue.

Admittedly all of these couples are young women. I haven't read something from her where the dynamic is different.

>The Silver Surfer's design is lazy garbage too.
Not really, it's really striking and memorable, especially compared to your usual Kirby design which is far more colorful and busy.

I was underwhelmed by new Wild Storm, but I really like Void and Engineer's designs.

Oh by the way, Brainy in Justice League.

At this point, I am convinced that whatever's going on with Manhattan, the Legion is involved. The build up to them is far too prominent to be separate from the main storyline.

We were discussing this the other day, but a lot of writers just have little to no grasp of how to display unique personalities between characters.

also please tell me about/link me to angry Stucky shippers, if they're out there

Maybe Doc is the Time Trapper.

>have to read Hitch JL for one of my husbandos

Why has Johns forsaken me?

I feel like, if involved at all, the TT is probably controlling or misleading him.

>I'm still kind of hoping that Pris is the naif, but she seems to be into music now and not an exotic dancer, boo
It could still be in her background. She's trying to make it big, right?

Seems that way. But Pris giving the orders from the start rings meh to me, I liked her as the POV entry character and the one who really grows into it, but I'm not going to NOT MUH over that, she's been on two pages

Yeah, that is really unexpected. And Bunn is back? I assumed he got hit with a marvel exclusive by now

I think Mr. Oz may be a Legionnaire. Or at least that's one of my theories. I haven't paid that whole mystery much mind until today when I did a lot of thinking about it.

There was a cap of someone screaming WHAT IS CAP GOING TO SUCK ZEMO'S DICK NEXT into the void and I'm over here all "Sure link me"

Johns truly is the biggest bitch. I can take the fact that he introduces plot threads and he never follows them up, but the fact he's kind of got out of comics to work in a "superior medium" makes me wanna punch him in the face. Instead of pushing characters he likes such as Shazam to get an ongoing, he goes out and gets Dixon to work on a Bane series...

Nobody signs those anymore since Soule and Lemire lol

Isn't this where The Authority took over the world and did it pretty badly?

Wax looks like a normal, handsome, guy in that first panel.

Rather than the poorly-passing android mofo he usually looks like in this series (maybe every series).

Sticking to my guns on the Dr. Trapper theory. It makes too much sense.

Dunno. She seemed a little dweeby while giving orders. She's probably still new at command.

Also, was Pris always that tall? Cause damn!

We need Hadrian along for the ride

They were the sacrificial offerings, a horror story told to young up and coming writers

that kid in Supergirl is Bouncing Boy gddammit

scattering Legionnaires through Superbooks is kind of a fun nod

I do not remember thing one about those ass end Cliffhanger books.

Also, hey, Robotech: Invasion. I guess this was from around the time Harmony Gold was licensing shit out, instead of just making money suing Bandai to keep Macross in Japan.

Based on the twist ending to that last New Super-Man issue I assert that Mr. Oz is this guy