So either im a full blown plebian or this movie just wasnt that good

so either im a full blown plebian or this movie just wasnt that good.

i dont get it honestly. i mean it all made sense on the surface level but i just dont get the point of it.

is it just "OMG GAY BLACK PEOPLE" ????

>is it just "OMG GAY BLACK PEOPLE" ????
yes.

havent seen it but isnt it nigger kino

like there were no revelations. the main character didnt learn anything. the whole story is basically little kid hass nignog mom. finds solace in drug dealer and gf. gets jerked off by guy after smokin on dat kush, guy beats him up, dude gets sent to jail, later emulates role model as drug dealer, meets back up with bf, they hold eachother.

WHAT WAS THE POINT

then that god awful last scene of kid him staring off into the ocean. i mean really?

is that movie where nigger faggot comes from

It was amazing, still watch clips and listen to the soundtrack

why was it amazing?

and why would i take anything a tripfag has to say seriously?

Just go back to your capeshit if it's really that hard to figure out. It's so ironic that a gay nigger is more of a man than all you plebs in here. Theres your hint you fucks.

Don't you get the note? What makes a good film today is the social commentary, not the craftsmanship or technical aspects of the film. Even "Styles over substance" is somehow considered a critic for bad films.

Protip: If your movie is promoting the political agenda of Democrats, you automatically get good scores.

Sexual orientation and alienation have nothing to do with politics

Your comment might make sense in your echo chamber but not much else

It's okay, insightful and original. The filmaking is creative at best and unwatchable at worst. The best part is the acting, the worst part is how the adopted father/son kino was thrown out the window for gay shit. I still liked the ending though. 7/10

what exactly made him a man? the fact that he dealt drugs? or do you mean his autismo flavored freakout in school and hitting the guy over the head with a chair? lmao.

i dont think you know what the point was either. nothing in the movie was really delved into too deeply. it basically jumped from point to point. so being gay made him become a drug dealer? he wasnt even really gay either, he just had one homoerotic experience in his life. the movie was bad, dont lie just because youre a gay nigger.

People were tricked by the juxtaposition of niggers and classical music. Stop appropriating our music you gay nigger.

the ending

hey remember that one tim we got all gay?

yeah iv never done that with anyone else

*hugs*

Exactly my thoughts on Manchester by the Sea.

One of the best and most genuine portrayals of grief in cinema history.

It was good.

but manchester by the sea was amazing and this movie was pseudo intellectual tash disguised as high art because "black people can be gay too"
completely agree

>Sexual orientation and alienation have nothing to do with politics

I have no interest in seeing this oscarbait garbage

The fact that he chose to be reveal his true self in an environment where that would be ill advised. He was true to himself, that's what makes a man.

Okay friend.

I'm very anti-liberal but I thought it was a good movie. Yeah it was about blacks and gays and maybe that was just to bait oscars but it wasn't forced into a "normal" movie and it wasn't done in an annoying, faux-empowering way. A hundred times less disgusting than the stuff they pull in the new Star Wars or Mad Max.
It really seemed fairly authentic to me.
The acting was great.
Music and production were a bit artsy but personally I liked them.
And I liked that it didn't have much of a "point", I think social commentary movies that try to make a point are fucking obnoxious.

He didn't though? He kept hiding it from everyone, barely let it out even with his lover, and acted like a tough cliché outside of it. Also dealt drugs after seeing the misery it puts people in.
Really the opposite of what you say.

Yeah it's a good movie. Like you can hate the plot and that's fine (the plots garbage) but its well made, has a good score, nice cinematography, and the performances were all great.

Its major fallback is in its plot and the fact its boring and all the characters can feel a bit awkward at times.

I thought it was fine but nothing great

Good performances, good cinematography, sound design...I really don't give two shits about gays or black culture, but I thought it was an enjoyable film. A coming-of-age tale with a kid who got dealt a bit of a shit hand with a junkie mother having to come up as a gay kid in a violent culture that despises homosexuality. It's like you guys become super-critical once black people or fags are involved.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. Just move on. I got it. There are movies you got that I didn't, too.

This is so reductionist that you're definitely being intentionally dumb.

Why did Sup Forums hate on Moonlight so much? It was a quality fucking film.

They don't.

>A coming-of-age tale with a kid who got dealt a bit of a shit hand with a junkie mother having to come up as a gay kid in a violent culture that despises homosexuality

This. Ending sucked though, but other than that it's enjoyable film.

I agree with what you're saying, but there just wasn't anything compelling about the story being told. From my perspective anyway.

That's not it at all for me. That setup is intriguing. But beyond that, the story is just too simple.

The film just wasn't complex enough for me. And the ending was so cliche

To those who are annoyed at the ending, consider Get Out. Whoever the director is, I forgot his name, he originally wanted the main character to be arrested at the end. But then he considered that it would be too heavy-handed and dark. He gave dad a happy ending because we are in some dark times. I like the ending of Moonlight. It was open ended and hopeful and honestly the protagonist fucking earned it.

If it does well at the Oscars, 9/10 it's shit/mediocre. So don't worry about it.

people who like Oscar nominees are raging plebs, this flick very much included. The Academy has been a joke for at least 2 decades.

It's just a typical "being gay is tough" movie, except it's in the hood, and that's topical, so it got a lot of critical praise.
That's it. It's not like it was terrible, but it wasn't amazing by any means, and there's certainly much better character study films out there.

basically the director wanted to make a personal low-budget film that mirrors a lot of his personal experiences growing up as well as tell a story about an aspect of low-income black neighborhoods that isn't often shown in film, resulting in a watchable but forgettable movie, and because "muh gay blacks" it got a lot more hype than it deserved.

I don't feel like the father/son narrative got thrown out of the window at all.
The chapter ended very abruptly but their relation almost single-handedly shapes the MC for the rest of the movie.

Just admit you're exaggerating if you want to have an actual discussion

/thread

>WHAT WAS THE POINT
just give up on films senpai, go back to play wow

It was pretty good, actually

The movie has really good facial acting, but everything else about it is unremarkable.