SCARLET SPIDER Going Back To Classic Costume

>Ben Reilly is returning to the living - and to his most popular mantle - beginning in April's Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #1, and now Marvel has revealed to Newsarama that by the time the first arc is complete, he will revert back to his classic, original costume. As mark the return, Mark Bagley has redrawn the originally-released cover to #1 to the image here at right.

>This costume change isn't back-tracking the creators of the book according to Marvel, but rather a story-driven change leading Reilly back to the hoodie.

>Here is the solicitation and covers for #1, due out April 26:

Whatever you say Marvel

>BEN REILLY: THE SCARLET SPIDER #1
PETER DAVID (W) • MARK BAGLEY (A/C)
VARIANT COVER BY GREG LAND VARIANT COVER BY TOM LYLE VARIANT COVER BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

>One of the most controversial characters in comics has returned — and the controversy has only BEGUN! In the aftermath of THE CLONE CONSPIRACY, Ben has a new take on life…and he’s not the same Scarlet Spider he was before. Come witness what will be the most talked about comic of the year! 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Is marvel actually responding to backlash,first there getting rid of Lee in venom,Zdarsky is taking Peter Parker to basics,Loki is going to be bad again,Inhumans back to space,Richard rider is back.Is it safe to dare I say it,have hope again

So he's going to abandon his 'fresh and updated' look literally in the first issue? My sides

In b4 is Kaine under the suit, not Ben

>Loki is going to be bad again
Shit taste detected

>classic Scarlet back
yisssssss
Hopefully this also means no Spidercide or Superior Ock Reilly nonsense

It doesn't say that, brotendo. Try reading it again.

After JIM, who would want that?

>>This costume change isn't back-tracking the creators of the book according to Marvel, but rather a story-driven change leading Reilly back to the hoodie.

Next fall is retro marvel in the sense of costumes and characterization.

>>we already had the first 6 issues with him in the suit drawn,give him the old one at the end and act like we planned it

Oh, right. I'm retarded.

huh the sleeves make his fingers look like weird tendrils.

so who's taking bets on it really being Otto in Ben's body?

>Original newsarama filename ends with "MOCKUP".

It really makes you think.

I'm betting on Otto and Ben sharing the same body

For the first arc.

Then ock gets another body,

whats wrong with his hands?

Wait what happened to Lee??

This

>Ben's going back to Classic
>PAD says odds of Aracely showing up are "pretty good"

>this might not be so far off?

>Is it safe to dare I say it,have hope again
I want you to die.

I've had all the Ockspeak balloons coming out from a Spider-person I can handle, I'll pass.

He died on the way to his home planet

So given how Clone Conspiracy went down, is Ben actually going to be a hero or is he going to be something similar to how SpOck was?

Dodged that bullet

>Eddie as Venom
>Ben as Scarlet Spider

It's just like it's 1995 again, how long until they hang out on Peter's couch and have some brewskis again?

I can see ben being as delusional as spock was but maybe less brutal If ben has any brains he'll get the fuck out of new york

>Guysssss
>Just because I'm single right now doesn't mean you can crash the place
>Shut up, Peter, you can't even handle beer.
>We are Venom!
>Yeah, we can see that.
>Shut up, we haven't said that for ten years.

I need this to be a thing so much.

This is PAD. Not Slott.

No thanks Otto had his time as Spider-Man it was a nice run but just let it be he's not Spider-Man he's Doctor Octopus.

I just want to point out, Gwen "Died" offscreen.

That little bit isn't over.

So they're still pretending this clone of Ben counts as the real Ben somehow?

>it's Gwen and Ock piloting a Ben body with Jackal Ben actually dead

He isn't "the" Ben, but he gets a pass since he already was a clone I guess. Kinda like how Spider-Man 2099 isn't "the" Spider-Man 2099 due to how divergent timelines work in the Marvel multiverse, but we'll all shrug and move on if it means the character has a chance to remain out of limbo

Wait explain Spider-Man 2099 please. It's not Miguel anymore?

So not just do they not have the backbone to stand by their creative decissions, but basically they admitted that their editorial/quality control failed for letting an artist come up with such a bad design in the first place.
Amazing. Still interested in the book though, since PAD finally got away from Sliney and Kaine's going to pop up in this book and I do trust PAD to do good work with him after Yost.

It is Miguel, it's just that there are technically multiple different versions of him because multiverse

user, are you okay? You sounded like your were stroking out at the beginning.

Not even this makes me any more accepting of the new Ben.

What the living fuck

Greg Land made something that looks better than Mark Bagley

What fucking reality am I in right now

Wait is Slott finally leaving the main spider book?

No, Zdarsky's doing a separate one

Hello user.
I am fine.
Thank you for asking.
I am using simple sentences now.
I used complex sentences before.
But you were confused.
I used "not" twice before.
That is uncommon.
It is also grammatically correct.
Please improve your reading comprehension.
Do not boast with being stupid.
Sincerely, user.

It's funny that Peter has had an underdog alternative book during Parker Industries' entire run.

Between Spidey, Renew Your Vows, and now Spectacular.

As long you don't look at the hands that is

So they trashed the Spidercide twist that was going to be in the book?

Bear with me.
During Superior Spider-Man, one Miguel O'Hara traveled from his universe in the year 2099 (originally stated to be Earth-928, aka the original Marvel 2099 universe) to the past (the universe we know as Earth-616/Prime Marvel Universe).
Miguel appeared to have been "pulled" into a time travel adventure from a given point in time at least halfway through the original 2099 run (he knew Tyler Stone was his father, so it had to be at least after Spider-Man 2099 vol. 1 #25).
However, later references to the year 2099 contradict what was established in the original run (Miguel being in charge of Alchemax after Tyler, Spidey never meeting Venom and Strange until AFTER he becomes head of Alchemax, the Goblin's identity being a shapeshifter who poses as his brother, etc); here things started to get blurry. These aren't things that changed because Miguel traveled to the past: they were already set as reality before he did.
Finally, because Miguel presumably won't return to the EXACT point in time he left, and resume his original adventures (fighting the Goblin shapeshifter, the Atlantean flood, becoming omnipotent and bringing universal peace), he can no longer be the original Miguel who did all those things, but a divergent version. Either he spun off the original 2099 timeline (Earth-928) when he first returned to then-present 2014 (the Superior arc), or he never came from Earth-928 in the first place.

Back to not giving a fuck then.

>So not just do they not have the backbone to stand by their creative decissions,

Do you not see how that sentence structure makes zero fucking sense?

it should be something like
>Not only do they lack the backbone, ...

>Marvel Rebirth is real.

Thank Christ, now I can finally stop participating in this company wars bullshit.

Why haven't you read JiM yet?

Well if nobody else is going to praise this then you're at least getting notified that you made me smile.

I am 100% OK with this.

Well, the reason for it might just be damage control, but I'm completely fine with that.

While we are at it

>Marvel's current ongoing Venom series will return to the original Venom numbering in May with Venom #150, announced via IGN. The story will return Eddie Brock to the role of Venom, with a back-up that explains how the Symbiote parted ways with Flash Thompson.

>Venom #150 will be written by regular series writer Mike Costa, with art from guest artist Tradd Moore. The Flash Thompson back-up story will be written by Robbie Thompson, with art from regular Venom artist Gerardo Sandoval. A second back-up by classic Spider-Man writer Dave Michelinie and artist Ron Lim will flashback to Venom's "Lethal Protector" days.

>One of the most controversial characters in comics has returned
I thought just about everyone who reads Spider-Man loved/enjoyed Ben, it was more that the Clone Saga was shit. What's so controversial about that?

>“[Issue #150 is] going to be the first adventure Eddie and the symbiote go on once they’re reunited and free of Lee Price and the FBI’s symbiote task force," said editor Devin Lewis. "Eddie Brock and Venom, swinging through the concrete jungle. There’s a lot of ‘Lethal Protector’ in the DNA of Mike’s current run and his approach to Eddie, and, like that story, Mike’s has a lot of heart. But I’ve been adamant about the fact that the symbiote has to be a threat. Not necessarily to Eddie or anyone in particular,other than Spider-Man, but certainly to the world around it. It can and should be a destabilizing force. Regardless of its mental state or the fact that it’s been cleansed, Lee has proven that the symbiote can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and we’re going to see the ramifications of that play out in Tradd’s story.”

The series will continue its legacy numbering after Venom #150, which is due out on shelves in May.

VENOM #150
MIKE COSTA, ROBBIE THOMPSON & DAVID MICHELINIE (W)
TRADD MOORE, GERARDO SANDOVAL & RON LIM (A)
Cover by GERARDO SANDOVAL
Variant Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN
Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG
Variant Cover by ADAM KUBERT
Variant Cover by JAMES STOKOE
VARIANT COVER BY MARK BAGLEY
SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY MARK BAGLEY
VARIANT COVER BY GABRIELE DELL’OTTO

REUNITED, AND IT FEELS SO GOOD!

Or, feels so bad? However it feels, Eddie Brock and the Venom symbiote have been reunited, and they’re web-slinging their way around New York again. Featuring a host (hah!) of Venom creators from the character’s near 30-year history, this monstrous anniversary spectacular welcomes guest artist TRADD MOORE for an oversized and brutal main story AND a lethal story featuring fan-favorite creators David Michelinie and Ron Lim, reunited! With questions still lingering about how the symbiote was separated from Flash Thompson, and what lies in its future now that it’s reunited with Eddie Brock, this is one issue you can’t afford to miss!

56 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99

wow, the new costume actually looks pretty good here.

Was just about to post this.
So happy we're getting a back up story with Robbie Thompson, that probably means Mania will show up in the Flash story where we find out what happened to him.

>tfw i love PAD
>tfw i´ve wanted ben to return and have his own scarlet spider book since forever
>PAD was one of the people i wanted for it if it happened
>but even if they do a redemption arc this is still not muh ben
not even going back to the classic costume is going to make me less mad about that character assasination, fuck slott

Well, it may turn out like Silk did.

Slott did a horrible job introducing her - almost a super Mary Sue focused on "sex" with Peter - but Thompson and Stacy Lee took her and added her flaws, conflict, suffering, inner conflicts, bad luck with people, a friendship with Jonah Jameson in her internship at Fact Channel and some charm and now it's a good character (IMO).

>>Ben's going back to Classic
>>PAD says odds of Aracely showing up are "pretty good"
>>this might not be so far off?

Prediction, Aracely will use her Aztec mental god powers to fix Ben Reilly's brain.

And, luck would have it, in real Aztec mythology, although Huitzilopochtli (the god she is a reincarnation of) is mostly known as a supreme warrior - solar protector of his people and anyone brave, willful who catch his attention; absolutely merciless destroyer of enemies - one of his aspects, variants, versions of himself is a healer.

Specifically, when he is invoked as or transforms into an skeletal star demon known as a Tzitzimitl (the same "race" that battles him daily and tries to devour the sun, bring the eternal night and consume humanity).

>The curing of sick children was performed in conjunction with a Tzitzimitl who was an aspect of the Aztec patron god, Huitzilopochtli. He must wear a special [black] cape that identified him as a healer.

> (pic related) A Tzitzimitl is offered blood in return for the wellbeing and health of the Aztec people.

Shit, that'd be awesome.

I want to hug Eddie. He may be crazy, but he didn't deserve losing Ann and having a dad that blamed poor Eddie for his mom's death via childbirth.

The last one is the most unjust thing about Eddie. I'd like to see a story where the old man himself realizes that he's in part to blame about how Eddie ended up.

Steven Butler, who was one of the main Spider-Man artists back during the Clone Saga era, made it look really nice too. The problem is that Bagley hasn't been a good artist in a long time but when drawn/colored well it doesn't look quite as bad.

I mean it's still a terrible costume, just not as terrible.

I honestly don't dislike it without the mouth. Yeah, the first costume's already iconic, we know that, it's earned it. I'd like to have it seen used and see if they could iron out the kinks (namely, to me, was 'let the hoodie down more instead owearing it' and it'd have done the trick).

But hey, it's Ben. IT'S BEEN A LONG TWENTY YEARS.

I just don't like how much it reminds me of Spidercide.

>original Venom numbering
That doesn't really work considering Venom's '90s stuff, while a de facto ongoing, was just a constant series of miniseries. There's no original numbering to be had.

Holy fuck though, Tradd drawing Venom should be noice.

I like the hoodie.

Hell, it's what made Spider-Gwen's costume look sweet (if you not mention the godawful feet coloring).

He's only done a variant so I'm excited to see him do a full story.

>That Artstyle
It's like the awesome from the 90's.

Man, that's something sweet.

actually... are we _SURE_ he's Ben?
We've never seen him without the mask, I think?

I wouldn't bet he's not always been Spidercide...

He's taken off the mask

He pulled off his mask to show Peter who he was. And there was a whole ASM flashback issue about what happened to him.

>And there was a whole ASM flashback issue about what happened to him.
Spidercide's memory was manipulated by [insert] to believe he was Ben.

But he's still Spidercide, a sick psycho

And that flashback was pretty screwed up.

its marvel's attempt at trying to please everyone and (if sales are anything to go by) ultimately no one at the same time.

> ASM is supposed to be for the people who usually complain status quo holding the character back

> RYV is supposed for the people who hated OMD and missed married parker

> spidey is for people who missed spiderman as a kid since miles failed spectacularly in that department

> spectacular is going to be for people who feel ASM right now is too different from what spiderman is supposed to be

When was the goblin revealed to be a shapeshifter and not Gabe?

>> spidey is for people who missed spiderman as a kid since miles failed spectacularly in that department

Honestly it seems more like it was a book intended to get the Homecoming audience. It's definitely not in-continuity, and Flash and Harry have different hair color. Plus there's an issue with Vulture that just happened to guest-star Iron Man. You can't tell me that wasn't intentional.

More Tradd Moore is never a bad thing.

No thanks this is Ben's big come back after getting screwed over hopefully David can fix what Slott did to him.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT WHY

The Manifest Destiny one-shot.

Whether PAD ran with that or his original headcanon (Father Jennifer) when Miggy briefly returned to his 2099 during Spider-Verse isn't clear, but Gabe obviously wasn't the Goblin at that point anyway.

im sure that there was plans for it at least now but the thing that prevents me from thinking that was i'm pretty sure spidey came out long before homecoming was announced

Oh give him a break.

After the whole shit he went through, it would be a punch in the guts.

Let Loki be good. If they want evil Loki, then have them make a doppelganger that is obviously evil looking.

I for once want a Norse trickster god that uses his dickishness to do good.

Remember when Bendis wrote Avengers Assemble (the book came out in early 2012 so Bendis would've had to have been writing it as early as late 2011) and the GOTG were included with Bug? And James Gunn confirmed that Bug was in an early draft before legalities came up? They announced the first GOTG movie long after Bendis was already writing Avengers Assemble. A lot of stuff is usually worked on before the movie's officially announced even if casting isn't final.

Still wrong costume marvel

Which one do you want

Can anyone storytime the most recent Clone Conspiracy issue?

nice!

Bigger pic here
It's still in the archives.

Man, I'm a huge Benfag, but he's Scarlet Spider first and Spidey second.