Why is Cowboy Bebop So Good?

I normally don't like anime. And I'm told that when you watch anime, you need to do it with subs. The exception being Cowboy Bebop, which convinced me to watch it, and I loved it. Now, like many basic bitches, I've seen DBZ, some Gundamn series, that robot gladiator series with the "Liger" via afternoon Toonami as a kid. They were all okay. Cowboy Bebop is phenomenal. Why?

Am I just buying the hype too much? Why is this the only anime I've wanted to watch to completion? Why does it rival normal, western tv shows?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=81m8_5mccgA
youtube.com/watch?v=WKnVaDwUg5s
youtube.com/watch?v=nPbBhvv6GI8
youtube.com/watch?v=03qBqP2I4p8
youtube.com/watch?v=Vcrb6365GsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=151ZPzZWdbY
youtube.com/watch?v=PdHHIVMJ_VQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YA4P1A3jtu0
imgur.com/t05kzAq
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It is a really good show, though it is hard to pinpoint why it is so.
Imo the best think about it is the soundtrack; it's extremely catchy and yet few songs ever repeat
youtube.com/watch?v=81m8_5mccgA
Other than that, the very style of it, futuristic, yet kind of dirty (?) world and the well choreographed fights are some other aspects that stood out to me.

I am actually also seeing it now for the first time, watching Episode 4 as we speak. I like it, I am actually enjoy its short forma, and the fact that I am enjoying it enough to stick with it speaks volumes for it because I am very picky nowadays with tv shows. But at the same time I can't help but think its mostly atmosphere/art style and OST that are keeping me hooked, episodes themselves have very little plot development. Watching a full 20 min episode makes me feel like I've watched a 40 minute episode with casually alt-tabbing to check something else online or whatever, without pausing it. Can't describe it better than that.

Spike's voice actor really brings it home for me.

the whole feel of the show is goat thats why.

Fucking retarded Sup Forumseddit drone

It takes itself seriously and has good characters, art, music, story

>Cowboy Bebop thread
How does this image make you feel?

The songs are why I picked up the show.
youtube.com/watch?v=WKnVaDwUg5s
youtube.com/watch?v=nPbBhvv6GI8
youtube.com/watch?v=03qBqP2I4p8
and my personal favorite
youtube.com/watch?v=Vcrb6365GsQ

I'm not asking for anime-fan opinions. I'm asking for normal Sup Forums guys, like myself, who've had similar experiences of finding that they actually like this weeb show. Also Sup Forums is smarter.

holy shit CN is fucked

Yoko Kanno is a qt japMILF and her other work outside Cowboy Bebop is great

I recommend you to play Policenauts, OP. Very similar in atmosphere.

Also you might enjoy Monster, as far as non-weeby anime series go.

It's okay. Only the Vicious episodes are particularly good.

Because it's unique. Watanabe is a western fag and aimed specifically wanted to make it feel like something done in the west.
Cowbow bebop is one of the very few anime that you can safely recommend to someone who never watched anime before. That's why it's actually kind of looked down by Sup Forums. Even though it's an absolute masterpiece. You won't find another anime like that, OP. But kind of similar in tone, I'd recommend BECK, Baccano, Planetes. Maybe samurai champloo.
youtube.com/watch?v=151ZPzZWdbY

>moot fucked up the quote on his last q&a

it was lightning in a bottle, as evidenced by none of the people who made cowboy bebop going on to do anything that was nearly as good. just a matter of the right people coming together for the right project at the right time.

>Blue
Every time.

Madvillan and Rain Dogs seem kind of out of place for a fedora core chart but otherwise its pretty much perfect

What does fedoracore even mean?

genuinely good stuff that you are supposed to not like because some cringe group of people also likes it and that supposedly makes it bad by association

Death note was pretty good, at least the first "season"

perfect ending

Easily one of the best.
I also enjoyed
youtube.com/watch?v=PdHHIVMJ_VQ

Its albums that are treated like rick and morty for the Sup Forums comparison, smart mature albums for smart mature people like me you need a high IQ etc. there's also a surface level fascination with jazz sort of like the I fuck love le science of R&M
They're all excellent critical/commercially successful albums but some fans act like they're underappreciated hidden gems the mainstream can't handle
some of the albums here are legitimately pretentious and come off as cringy on their own

>none of the jazz artists I like are listed
Phew. I'm still redeemable, according to the millennial liberal erudite population of Sup Forums.

"Fedora-core" refers to films that are popular among adolescent teens to young males who perceive themselves to be on the fringes of society. The films that are usually mentioned, such as Fight Club, The Boondock Saints, or The Dark Knight, appeal to that sensibility, although the films vary in content, quality, and popularity among all groups. What unites them however, is a common theme of alienation and chaotic/glorified/ violence. Simply put, you could say that they are united by their nihilism (think the main character from notes from the underground). Characters like the Joker, Tyler Durden, Donnie Darko, Patrick Bateman and even Travis Bickle are relatable or ideal characters in the minds of these people.
>Examples: Drive, Kick-Ass, Dark Knight, Taxi Driver

The second type is pseudo-intellectual and pretentious bullshit that pretends it's much more complicated than it actually is. These movies are designed to be actually really fucking simple, but still just complicated enough (or have a complicated enough twist) to make plebs feel clever when they watch it.
>Examples: There Will Be Blood, Fight Club, Idiocracy, Cabin In The Wood, Matrix

The third type is high-budget modern schlock. Stuff that's 'cool', 'awesome' or 'manly' on the most superficial and juvenile level. Shit that falls under the same category as "SHARKS WITH LAZERS!" or "MUSTACHED JETPACK FIGHTS!". These movies tend to be gory or comedic or bloated, or all three.
>Examples: Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Trouble in Little China, 300, Pacific Rim

Is The Usual Suspects fedoracore?

The problem is that the pic above with those albums is poorly put together, there is either extremely good stuff or extremely cringy overrated shit that is truly fedoracore.

You can't put fucking Miles Davis and Wintersun in the same collage. Sorry but you just can't.

But the movie somehow ended up with the best song. youtube.com/watch?v=YA4P1A3jtu0

Fuck off weebs.

Watch one piece op

Ameriplebs favorite MANime. It's a 5/10 show at best.

I've seen that on Toonami. Art style looks trash and I don't like the characters, even if they've got big-titty bikini pirate bitches.

essential memecore garbage

More like one piece of shit. Watch Witchblade, OP, another anime that feels very western and hated by japs and weaboos. And it's not really good.
Hi, Sup Forums, what are you doing here?

nah most of those are pretty good or great

Has probably the best milf in existence though.

I don't see shiki and wings of hoennaimise there, but otherwise it's bretty good.
That's the joke.
Exactly. And she actually bangs with the detectve dude. I hardly remember any other anime with enough balls to go with it.

Get ready, episode 5 is pure kino

Goddamn it user you better not be lying to me, I got work in the morning

>That's why it's actually kind of looked down by Sup Forums.
It is? Another evidence of its quality I guess.

Its the episode that got me hooked. You should leave this thread before someone spoils the rest of the series

He's right. Also, Is the episode that got EVERYONE hooked.

>is pure kino
Fucking reddit parasite

Ok, Sup Forums, what's your favorite anime?

Favourite episode ?
Pic related

>Ashita no Joe
Is this good? The old art style and shitty sound quality put me off

It looks like a crappy western drawing no distinct anime style

Paranoia Agent

Just the right amount of western influence mixed into the weeaboo imo. So many series came out afterward in the 2000s at least (when I still paid attention to animu) trying to be as western as possible to the point where the dialogue sounded like 80s American action movies. But Bebop was just right.

Mushroom Samba

Did they explain who vicious was and why he's bad it seemed kinda forced like he's just bad for the sake of it. Finished it and felt like i missed out something

He's just a rival of Spike's. A cruel, psychotic, literally more "vicious" version of Spike.

Julia cheated on him with Spike (who was his friend) and i guess that led to him becoming a psychopath.

Sup Forums is only good for Manga threads and pre 2000s anime threads.

Morphine and Rain Dogs shouldn't be here

Oh man, Shiki was a wild fucking ride

Not that good in my opinion. It just has historic value, good to know where trends came from and what some things are constantly referencing. If you're into sports and boxing specifically - it's great, otherwise don't bother. Watch ping pong, it's amazing.

He's one that is driven to be like that by the kind of life Spike rejected.
Also he felt betrayed by the 2 closest people while he was already going down morally so he went down further.
He proceeded to betray everyone since then.
If Gren happened before, well he was always an asshole but respected friends, after Spike decided that friends are bullshit.

Shinsekai yori.

The Wings of Honneamise

He seems bad, but really he's just fighting for power within the syndicate, is such a thing really that uncommon?

Family Guy

Corey in the House

Is that the one where the hero randomly tries to rape a girl? Just out of nowhere?

It's very similar to Tarantino, in the sense that it's the work of an artist obsessed with the idea of cool and shoving in as many references to cool stuff he liked as a viewer, with the assumed notion that if he, as a viewer, enjoyed all that different shit, then the other viewers would also enjoy a big mix of all these elements. It's masturbation but done with taste and real passion. So you got Lupin III, Seijun Suzuki, Leone and Corbucci, Blade Runner, John Woo and JP Melville and Sam Peckinpah and Miles Davis and JL Godard and Bruce Lee etc etc. but with the understanding that all those guys and all those genres were already influencing and ripping off each other anyway so might as well embrace it and crank the cool levels to 11.

Yes. Don't let that discourage your from watching it though.

>Deconstructs modern action heroes in a relatable and existential manner,
>Masterful character development
>incredible ost
>Thematic similarities to French film making , obvious references to Jean Luc Godard
>Top of the line animation
What's not to like about it?

>some Gundamn series
Which ones? Most of the Gundam AUs are mediocre. And there's more to anime than Cowboy Bebop, but if you won't watch subs you won't be able to watch alot of good shit

>Call me
>Call meeeeeeee
>Let me know it's alright

>The project had initially originated with Bandai's toy division as a sponsor, with the goal of selling spacecraft toys. Watanabe recalled his only instruction was "So long as there's a spaceship in it, you can do whatever you want." But upon viewing early footage, it became clear that Watanabe's vision for the series didn't match with that of Bandai's. Believing the series would never sell toy merchandise, Bandai pulled out of the project, leaving it in development hell until sister company Bandai Visual stepped in to sponsor it. Since there was no need to merchandise toys with the property any more, Watanabe had free rein in the development of the series.[29] Watanabe wanted to design not just a space adventure series for adolescent boys but a program that would also appeal to sophisticated adults.[17] During the making of Bebop, Watanabe often attempted to rally the animation staff by telling them that the show would be something memorable up to three decades later. While some of them were doubtful of that at the time, Watanabe many years later expressed his happiness to have been proven right in retrospect.

Not OP, but probably wing. What else could it be.

Samurai pizza cats.

This is undoubtedly true and I think that the aesthetic, music included, are a strong part of CB.
Nonetheless, I felt the characters compelling, especially the fact that their motivations and interaction were not rubbed in your face.
As an example, after a re-watching, I noticed that Jet butchers the bonsai when in nervous. He does in a famous manner in Ballad of Fallen Angels worried for spike, but in the episode they meet Ed he does that because Faye is around and he is nervous to be around her.
Spike calls him about this in Jupiter Jazz but is already evident from here.

>Baccano, Planetes. Maybe samurai champloo
Second on all of theses recommendations, especially Planetes

What's a "negloid" /tv:?

It's reddit shit just like you, tourist

No it's Sup Forums shit, leddit

Finally, a man of taste.

>File: t05kzAq.gif (263 KB, 480x479)
>imgur.com/t05kzAq
Sure thing, tourist

Asteroid Blues or Hard Luck Women

>watching it, feels okay but hardly anything that makes me go "woah that was pretty fucking great"
>read all these impressions ITT and mostly agree
>still don't see anything straight up amazing or memorable

Sometimes I feel like I'm literally too fucking stupid to enjoy things on a higher level than plain consumption

Vertical cut user. Preferably a warm bath.

Negro and mongoloid.

Planetes fuck yeah.

Maybe you're just dead inside.

Dunno man. I enjoy many action movies with my GF, she is the opposite of the meme "movie that women will never understand".
I showed this to her sure she would love it, but she reacted like a friend of mine (that is a Jazz player so I thought he could appreciate, also I was sure he would love the atmosphere).
They say the characters did not click with them. Cool and everything but they did not feel involved.
For me is strange because the biggest appeal is the characters and how they deal with the past.

>Be me
>On mobile because laptop is kill
>Download generic smug anime faces from Google images
>A ledditor was autistic enough to recognize it from imgur , which he probably browses daily
Neat

If you don't cry during Hard Luck Woman there is no hope for you.

>The Wings of Mahonneise

>n-no i'm not a reddit
LOL

>Why is Cowboy Bebop So Good?
Do we really need posters who have to ask why they have opinions?

I know that 65% of the shows on that list are actually pretty good. The rest I haven't watched, and maybe a handful or two are actually overrated

Its so good to westerners because watanabe is a westaboo familiar with European narrative formatting and as a young man he lived the paycheck to paycheck job to job lifestyle iirc which he captures the feel of and uses in his episodic narratives. All in all he is just a good director and should do live action. The script was additionally written by a female screenwriter
So even the potentially bland Fey has agency.

>Type smug anime face into Google images
>Second row

Lesson one, never reply to the troll, that means he wins.

> 65%
How about 100%. Yes, even k-on.

I think two series were on Toonami when I watched. One, I remember, I thought was really cool. But looking back on it, it seems like it was probably dogshit. The one where every country has their own thematic Gundam and it's an Olympics of Gundam Battles. There was another series before that which seemed more serious (and involved more of those olive green, cyclopean gundams as baddies).

I'm a musician too and I dig the OST, I think it's an odd but very functional match with the show. However it's not particularly complex music at all so the connection you are hoping to scratch with jazz musicians probably won't be there since most of the OST pieces fall kinda short when listened on their own, outside of the context of the scene they were in. I do applaud the fact that very little of those music pieces are repeated from what I notice.

The best thing about the characters is how non-tropeish they are and how their reactions aren't predictable. I like their interactions, as brief and minimal as they are. Like in this Ep5 when Faye gets kidnapped and Jet immediately doesn't give a fuck and goes to turn the conversation off, and the viewer immediately thinks how that is what will happen, only for Spike to suddenly give a shit. It helps the series stand on its own two feet when seen for the first time today because it's atypical. There is very little fanservice howeveer, and I really hope the dialogues and interchanging between main characters gets fleshed out a lot more because so far it's insufficient in quantity.

w-why you gotta go there immediately user

Eureka Seven. I know that there are technically "better" shows, but Renton and Eureka's relationship and its development just holds too much sentimental value for me. Runner ups would probably be Utena, Zeta Gundam and Lain