Legion Thread

Somebody give me a quick rundown on this guy. I don't read alot of X-Men.

Omnipotent but has multiple personalities that control the different powers. Sometimes he is able to shift between them, sometimes they fight for dominance.

He's also the son of Charles Xavier

Dude has power that is dudes living inside him who's powers are being dudes inside a dude who has powers who also give the dude with powers, powers.

Bastard son of Charles Xavier. Schizo where every personality has a different superpower.

Holy shit is that a spoiler?!? Didn't know Prof X had a kid. So is this guy strong or what? Since he isn't in any cartoons he must be a bad guy or doesn't show up alot.

He's immensely powerful and also a raving schizophrenic. He's arguably the most powerful mutant in existence, but he's got very little control over his powers because each power belongs to a different personality. He's rewritten reality a few times pretty much by accident, he accidentally caused Age of Apocalypse and Age of X. Age of X was particularly impressive because he just overrode reality and turned it into a dystopian future for awhile.

Imagine you senile, Alzheimers ridden grandfather having the power to alter reality and become a literal god every time he becomes coherent and stops drooling. In a nutshell this is Legion.

Marvel has a rule about power-creep: when a character can alter reality they lose touch with what's real.
Legion *STARTED* his power-creep as the most powerful psi-powered mutant alive.
He's that crazy now.

Son of Charles Xavier and some English woman.
Most powerful mutant in existence, and a nigh-omnipotent reality warper.
Mind is a fractured mess however of different personalities, each one displaying a different power.
His "core" personality has no powers (IIRC), but he can dominate the other personalities, or they can control him and take control of his body and manifest their abilities.

So really, if he didn't have the annoying split-personality problem, he could rewrite reality as he chose.

New Mutants is the best, go read it. issues 18-21

>Didn't know Prof X had a kid.
Neither did he

I mean, that's Legion 101. He's Xavier's son but despite all of Xavier's powers, he could never fix David. After Scott threw Charles out of the X-men, he spent all his time rehabilitating David and finally getting him to a stable point.

Then Scott killed Xavier because the Avengers are assholes which lead to Spurrier's X-men Legacy. It's very good, well worth reading.

>He's that crazy now.
He doesn't exist now. He realised he was the problem and retconned himself out of existence.

>fighting enemy you can't use telepathy on
>just use hypnosis instead

Legion is a character with story potential only limited by the quality of writer he has

Riiiiiiiight...

Because the most powerful telepathic hypocrite basterd ever would never abandon his mutant malfunction of a son...

(and it's not as if he has a giant machine in his basement that lets him keep track of the people he cares about.)

Dude.

Man that's crazy. Guess I got some reading to do before I watch the show. Did any of you guys like it? Also I thought Franklin Richards was the strongest mutant.

>thought Franklin Richards was the strongest mutant
As an adult, he is. As a kid, it's, well. Who has more controls over their powers, a child or a schizo?

Legion has every superpower, including reality warping, but each one is tied to a split personality which makes accomplishing anything deliberately difficult. Franklin is just a godlike reality warper.

When will Jack Wayne appear in the show?

> Son of Charles Xavier and some English woman
He is son of a Jewish woman
And he was mostly "raised" by Irish woman

He's quite a dynamic character in that he's had bouts of being a supervillain and a hero at some point in his life. He's mentally unwell with different personalities but from his different personalities, he's got access to reality breaking powers. Since he has so much power and mental instability, others see him as a liability.

His mother was an Israeli politician, he was raised by Moira MacTaggart on Muir Island

>So is this guy strong or what?

>Omnipotent but has multiple personalities that control the different powers
That alone should have answered the question before you made it

Hit it and quit it, after he left whats done is done. It was willful ignorance

He once put the universe in a box. A God-damned fucking box.

Hey that kinda looks like that one guy from the preview images
You know, the one who was played by this guy who was also a giant shiny crab

>He told me to put the whole universe in a bottle
>So I did

>my dad would show me the stars
>and they'd talk to me
CEREBRO
E
R
E
B
R
O

I really do hope they get McAvoy or Stewart for the cameo. FX has got the cred to get them and they both are pretty dedicated to it
Itd be great if we get a flash of David in Logan.

Storytiming New Mutants 26-28 by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz, cover dates April-June 1985

After being transformed into peak-human-condition Cheyannes by the Demon Bear, Tom Corsi and Sharon Friedlander didn't feel like they could go back to their old lives, so they moved to Muir Island to work with Moira.

>reeeeeee

People get Proteus and Legion confused because they are both reality-warping god mutant bastard children to prominent X-elders.

I guess Gabby didn't want to deal with David anymore, and Xavier figured Moira had experience with this sort of thing and had, you know, built an entire island fortress / research compound to deal with it.

A perfectly sensible errand to bring the New Mutants on.

The cast is so large at this point that Claremont has written half the team out of this arc. (We'll pick up their adventures in New Mutants 29). Our roster this time

• Rahne: Moira's adopted daughter)
• Doug & Warlock (OTP)
• Dani, field leader.

We also get to see Sean, Moira's lover since UXM 129 (the end of the Proteus Arc / just before the Dark Phoenix Saga). Depowered since UXM 119, when he damaged his vocal chords in a fight against Moses Magnum. On his way home after being abducted by James Proudstar in UXM 193.

Rahne fulfills the vital Shinji Ikari role on the team.

Doug best boy

>Why did you wait so long to call me? Gaby, I could have helped the boy as I did you!
Answering your own question there, Chuck.

Have Claremont or Bill given an opinion on the show yet?

Oh Manuel, you have pulled some dumb shit before, but this is really going all in with a high card.

Emma Frost: she will actually fucking castrate you.

Any recommended reading for him?

>With Gaby, I was so sure of myself, that I had the answers, knew what was best. I freed her from the prison of her mind -- but, in the process, forced her to relive the horrors of her childhood. Once more, she saw her parents slaughtered, endured the degradation of body and spirit.
>A part of her has always hated me for that.

Yeah, and maybe also for violating your doctor/patient relationship when you seduced her and knocked her up..?

Warlock knocked Asteroid M out of orbit when he arrived on Earth, after which Scott's ex Lee Forrester fished him out of the ocean. They're on his creepy Cthulhu-esque Island Fortress from UXM 150, recuperating.

Magneto triples down on his weird self-loathing sapiens fetish. Rogue will finally break him of the habit in another 80 issues.

It's funny how all the energy Charles spends worrying about his ethical practices never seems to result in better ethical practices, while Magneto, Scott and Emma just YOLO it and usually end up making the right calls.

I always wonder how something like this would be seen by the public today and instead of cheyene they become black

Charles and Moira met as doctoral students at Oxford. They got engaged, but she left him for Joseph MacTaggert and he went off to war in Korea. Joseph beat her within an inch of her life and left her pregnant with Kevin (aka Proteus). After the war, Charles went tomcatting around Asia, had an adventures with Magneto, a love affair with Gabby, got his legs smashed by Lucifer, took up with Amelia Voght, reconnected with Moira on platonic terms, and founded the school.

Says a lot that Rahne has gotten concussed so often in the last couple years that Moira is familiar with her particular physiological response.

Charles was beaten up by anti-mutant protesters, saved and dressed up in bondage gear by Callisto, then abducted again and beaten up by James Proudstar twice in two issues.

So yeah, basically he mind-raped her. But for a good reason!

Didn't Insane Jane do the exact same thing?
Which came first?

Sienkewicz's inks are so great that that the best thing you can say about Glynis Oliver-Wein's colors is that they don't distract from them as badly as they could have.

Legion's personalities in this arc: Jack Wayne, Jemail Karami, Cyndi

What a splash page, jeeze.

I realize this is not exactly a controversial opinion, but this story would read no worse without captions and dialogue. In the early 80s, Claremont still knew how to make space for a virtuoso artist like Byrne, Smith or Sienkewicz, but as the decade war on his overbearing scripts made the JRJr and even the Silvestri runs cluttered with dialogue balloons and tiny panels.

>Why are my choices always so ambiguous -- is nothing ever clear-cut?! Whichever I decide involves such terrible risks -- and potential sacrifices. I don't mind putting my own life on the block -- but what right have I to endanger children?!

things Scott would never worry about.

Yeah, that seemed obvious.

The demon soldiers in the Pickelhauben are a visual quote from UXM 161, pencilled by Dave Cockrum, Gabby Haller's first appearance.

This art is too good for comics

Wait, so David is stronger than Franklin?

Both are pretty much omnipotent.

It's not super useful to compare reality warpers - David, Proteus, Franklin, Wanda, Jim Jaspers, and Phoenix are probably equal in raw power, just limited by their sanity.

Legion, by 23 years.

Gabby is a French-Israeli Jew, and Moira is Scottish. Gabby raised him until he had a psychotic break at ten. He became Moira's ward from his late teens on.

an ulterior motive!?

X-Men Legacy by Spurrier

Magnus/Lee is such a tepid ship, my god. She hooked up with Cable later, too! I wonder if he and Scott ever talked about that. I mean their conversations are always awkward, but jeeze. "It's cool, son. I got there first, and I was done with her."

See the Classic X-Men #12 back up story "A Fire in the Night" for the full version of this story.

>Open your mind to me, Danielle
I forget, was this before or after your "dark side" mind-raped her in X-Men vs. Micronauts?

Cerebro isn't going to tell him "that mutant's your son," schmuck

Try reading the fucking comic books before you spout next time