What are your thoughts on this series?

What are your thoughts on this series?

Other urls found in this thread:

archived.moe/co/thread/86291553
youtube.com/watch?v=hNvF70qmzqA
idwpublishing.com/product/don-rosas-the-life-and-times-of-scrooge-mcduck-vol-1-artists-edition-hc/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was not as interesting as I thought it would be, desu. I remember the floppies being a lot more fun but I was a kiddie then so I may just been easier to amuse and please.

Best comic strip ever drawn or written
absolute masterpiece of all times
Scrooge>Batman>Entirety of Marvel>rest of DC
must read and should have for anybody that ever liked comics

fuckin ace, i read it again like 5 days ago
i actually understood all the references

I enjoyed it. It's not a 10/10 by any means, 'cause Rosa's a weird sperglord about it, but it's a fun read.

Might actually shell out the ridiculous amount they're selling it for /10

One of the best comics ever written.

Have an archived thread of it open in one of my 100+ tabs
Probably not reading anytime soon because I've barely read any Disney comics

Picked up the later arcs by chance one day in my library and loved it. Can't find the early ones with kid and young scrooge for the life of it. Really need to find the Goldie ones.

Absolute masterpiece. Everybody who says something else has no taste.

Loved it then in the tsundere way. Love it now. Barks is still the better one.

Fantagraphics has it along with the rest of Rosa's ducks comics in print for rather cheap

>disney
Don't say that, unca Don might hear.

One of the best and most moving comic stories i have ever read, that and the rest of Don Rosas works are masterpieces. A shame he quit

I've got two or three. They're okay, beagle boys are stupid. There's one with a hidden money bag in a wheel well. I forget how it ends but there's a fucking hot old lady duck.

Masterpiece

I love all the late 19th/early 20th century flavor and especially that it goes the whole world over, not just America. There were "frontiers" in lots of places back then.

I also like how smoothly it moves from a story of Scrooge gaining in strength and wisdom to him failing to find a time to stop, turning him into a bitter shit.

>masterpiece
that always seems to apply to the first thing you experience that's actually cliche and sappy and unoriginal

>Scrooge convinces himself that the Goldie letter would be like poison to him because she'd confess in it that she never liked him
>it would actually be poison because deep inside he knows that by confessing their love to each other it would convince him to settle down, and abandon his ambitions
>he goes through life unhappy, always trying to fill the void left by Goldie
Nah fuck off, this is some potent stuff

>he'll never be as happy as when he was poor and digging for gold in the Yukon

>all the money he accumulates in later life is an attempt to fill that void
>he knows there's no going back, but he's still gotta do it
>he wants to be rich, not happy

>old Scrooge is a contradiction: enslaved to his pursuit of fortune which he thinks could replace his freedom, actively keeping himself away from the happiness which he thought he could replace with cold hard cash

Don't forgot he began his quest for riches out of love for his family and his clan heritage but lost both of those things in success.

This comic featured some of my favorite Scrooge's moments.

Especially this one.

Shades of Miracleman 15

GOAT page right there

There is nothing new under the sun. Things elicit an emotional response for a reason, if all you want to feel from something is "wow, so original" then I hope you enjoy shitty conceptual art like piles of bricks and bloody tampons. What great "art" huh? So much better than artistic skill in drawing and stories that move people.

Is it underrated or well-known? I love it to death, but nobody I know who loves comics ever bring it up.

Unknown in America, well-known in much of Europe, and beloved in Scandinavia in particular.

I couldn't find it on their website, link?

Go back to her, you old fool! ;_;

... that explains a lot actually. Me being norwegian and all.

It's in volumes 4 and 5 of their Don Rosa library, I recommend trying to get them all if you can. They're very well made.

He comes to Oslo from time to time.
I remember going to a book signing at Ark. The queue filled the store and went around the block. had to stand in line for one and a half hour before I got my book signed.

Awesome, bro, thanks. Getting all of the Don Rosa duck comics was something I've wanted to do for a while.

I was obsessed with it as a kid
t. finnfag

>Have an archived thread of it open in one of my 100+ tabs
Link that shit, user.

Not that user but here
archived.moe/co/thread/86291553

>based user
Thanks, mate.

Loved it. Bought the artists edition so I could pore over the pages at full size and see all Rosas thumbnails and layouts.

DESU, I loved the Kalevala arc more.

Rosa was at his best with treasure hunting

It may be the closest thing that Sup Forums almost universally agrees is enjoyable. After that the debates begin, usually more about Rosa himself than his actual work.

He's the poster child on why fans make good stories.

He's also the poster child of retarded headcanons, cherry picking and bitterness.

For some reason I can't get into it at all, love the Barks comics but Life and Times strikes me as the average overzealous, needlessly sappy dick-riding of your usual fanboy writer.
I even think the companion, and his oother duck stuff in general is way better, he's at his best when he writes the ducks as cartoons rather than characters. His Black Knight saga was a ridiculous lot of fun.

and I also don't call everything a masterpiece
quit getting your panties in a tizzy, i'm not insulting you

Top fucking tier.

So everybody here is waiting to see how badly McDuck beats Shovel Knight in the upcoming Death Battle, right?

>He's also the poster child of retarded headcanons
What? Rosa's the complete opposite of headcanon. He treats any throwaway Barksian reference as gospel, and refuses to acknowledge things like Ducktales or Daisy Duck. He also makes sure to never contradict Barks's stuff.
This isn't a problem to me: you wouldn't even be aware of it if you skip over the end-of-chapter texts. Spot on about the cherry picking and bitterness, though.

But having a strict canon for what is essentially irreverent wacky adventures with no regard for a canon IS retarded. Didn't he have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to incorporate some of the shit Barks did while Barks didn't give a fuck?

>refuses to acknowledge things like Ducktales or Daisy Duck.
>This isn't a problem to me

Well, it's not. It doesn't adversely affect his stories in any way.

Totally justified bitterness, though.

Someone care to explain the bitterness?

I really want to buy the artist edition
$125 wtf
>idwpublishing.com/product/don-rosas-the-life-and-times-of-scrooge-mcduck-vol-1-artists-edition-hc/

>Teddy "the Trust Buster" Roosevelt almost getting McDucked into orbit.

>Remembers Scrooge is that kid he met at Medora.

125 isn't a lot for an artist's edition, you're getting original art reproduction which means it's massive