January 2017 Comic Book Sales Report - Top 10's

TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS
> 1. U.S.AVENGERS #1 (MAR)
> 2. BATMAN #14 (DC)
> 3. BATMAN #15 (DC)
> 4. JUSTICE LEAGUE/POWER RANGERS #1 (DC)
> 5. THE WALKING DEAD #162 (MR) (IMA)
> 6. ALL-STAR BATMAN #6 (DC)
> 7. JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD #3 (DC)
> 8. MONSTERS UNLEASHED #1 (MAR)
> 9. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23 (MAR)
> 10. JUSTICE LEAGUE #12 (DC)

TOP 10 GRAPHIC NOVELS & TRADE PAPERBACKS
> 1. BATMAN VOLUME 1: I AM GOTHAM TP (DC)
> 2. KILL OR BE KILLED VOLUME 1 TP (MR) (IMA)
> 3. THE FLASH VOL. 1: LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE TP (DC)
> 4. SUPERMAN VOL. 1: SON OF SUPERMAN TP (DC)
> 5. SAGA VOLUME 1 TP (MR) (IMA)
> 6. JUSTICE LEAGUE VOL. 1: THE EXTINCTION MACHINE TP (DC)
> 7. PAPER GIRLS VOLUME 1 TP (IMA)
> 8. STAR WARS: HAN SOLO TP (MAR)
> 9. GREEN ARROW VOL. 1: THE LIFE & DEATH OF OLIVER QUEEN TP (DC)
> 10. THE BLACK MONDAY MURDERS VOLUME 1: ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON TP (MR) (IMA)

Other urls found in this thread:

diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=116434
twitter.com/comichron/status/832622437355249664
blog.comichron.com/2017/02/more-comics-shipped-in-january-2017.html
comicsbeat.com/marel-overships-titles-to-retailers-by-10-in-january/
dccomics.com/blog/2012/11/09/first-look-at-the-variant-covers-for-justice-league-of-america-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>(BALTIMORE, MD) — (February 17, 2017) —Roberto da Costa and A.I.M. form a new Avengers team and battle the Secret Empire in Al Ewing, Paco Medina, Juan Vlasco, and Jesus Aburtov's U.S.Avengers #1 from Marvel Comics, January's best-selling comic book according to information provided by Diamond Comic Distributors, the world's largest distributor of comics, graphic novels, and pop culture merchandise.

>Marvel Comics was January’s top publisher with a 37.09% dollar share and a 42.62% unit share. DC Entertainment was the month's number two publisher with a 28.93% dollar share and a 31.33% unit share. At number three was Image Comics with a 9.82% dollar share and a 9.36% unit share. IDW Publishing was fourth with a 5.25% dollar share and a 3.45% unit share, followed by Dark Horse Comics with a 4.04% dollar share and a 2.91% unit share.

>Among the premier publishers, IDW Publishing's top book was Batman/TMNT Adventures #3, a co-publication with DC Entertainment, at #99. Finally, Dark Horse Comics' Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse #4, based on Joss Whedon's film Serenity, was their top book of the month at #133.

Sauce: diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=116434

Can DC ever recover?

>A variant for every state
I'm surprised Monsters unleashed did well, it was pretty low key. IvX got more advertisement.

Okay, since USA! USA! USA! was almost 100% variant cover shenanigans, how fardo you think it will drop by issue 2? Like maybe top 25?

>While the month was slightly off, Marvel's overships pumped more material into the market, so the retail-level performance might be better.

Sauce: twitter.com/comichron/status/832622437355249664

More: blog.comichron.com/2017/02/more-comics-shipped-in-january-2017.html

Yes. Because USAvengers is no longer doing 54 seperate collectable covers per issue as of the second issue.

Dollar Share - Unit Share

>Marvel 37.09% 42.62%
>DC 28.93% 31.33%
>Image 9.82% 9.36%
>IDW 5.25% 3.45%
>Dark Horse 4.04% 2.91%
>Boom 2.09% 1.91%
>Dynamite 1.65% 1.47%
>Titan 1.24% 1.10%
>Viz 1.15% 0.39%
>Valiant 0.82% 0.81%
>Other 7.92% 4.65%

Thank you for posting

Why are marvel overshipping shit when they are already killing DC with the dollar share?

Are we getting top 100 today or tomorrow.

>> 2. BATMAN #14 (DC)
>> 3. BATMAN #15 (DC)
>> 4. JUSTICE LEAGUE/POWER RANGERS #1 (DC)
>> 6. ALL-STAR BATMAN #6 (DC)
>> 7. JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD #3 (DC)
>> 10. JUSTICE LEAGUE #12 (DC)
All is well.

Oops, forgot
> 1. BATMAN VOLUME 1: I AM GOTHAM TP (DC)
> 3. THE FLASH VOL. 1: LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE TP (DC)
> 4. SUPERMAN VOL. 1: SON OF SUPERMAN TP (DC)
> 6. JUSTICE LEAGUE VOL. 1: THE EXTINCTION MACHINE TP (DC)
> 9. GREEN ARROW VOL. 1: THE LIFE & DEATH OF OLIVER QUEEN TP (DC)

I think ASB to JL are selling 80-70k.

The industry is really in sad state.

Don't know. I think tomorrow?

It's a sales tactic. Take up shelf space and win over LCS owners.

So how low do we think Cyborg, New Super Man and Blue Beetle are going to go this time?

December Numbers:
>Cyborg #6 - 21,287
>Cyborg #7 - 19,788
>Blue Beetle #6 - 20,811
>New Super Man #6 - 21,000

>win over

>win over LCS owners
Weren't they pissed off about the overshipping, though?

Marvel is generating almost 25% more revenue than DC so they must be winning someone over.

I thought Superwoman is doing worse than Blue Beetle?

Not really, these aren't the full number sold but ordered.

Minority characters still don't sell.

They're pissed off about the higher than expected Rebirth return rate and taking a $1 hit on every Rebirth title. I hardly doubt any LCS is pissed about free product.

32 then 56 then 93 then relaunch.

It's about 4,000 copies ahead of Blue Beetle.
>Superwoman #5 - 24,761

I messed up the issue number for Blue Beetle.
>Blue Beetle #4 - 20,811

Based lana lang

They are? Because I just read a report about Rebirth return from newsrama and the retailers were actually thanking DC for their policy.

Spencer, pls.

Isn't "free". All the issues of "Gamora" that nobody buys don't disappear. It costs storage. They are always complaining about it.

USAvengers is only as high as it is because of the fifty-fucking-four variant covers and overshipping. It'll drop like a fucking rock when numbers for #2 come in.

They file overshipped items as sales.

>fifty-fucking-four variant covers
Say what now?

>cost storage

Gee, I guess I'll just offer to take all the free product off my LCS' hands then. You're an idiot and any retailers are idiots if they complain about free product when they can just give the comics away.

Each state got its own variant.

He's just shilling for Marvel. Ignore him.
>any retailers are idiots if they complain about free product when they can just give the comics away
See?

BUT IT DOESN'T AFFECT MARKET SHARE

Here, have forty tons of fertilizer for free. It will only cost storage.

Are you a child who doesn't understand all the costs involved or just a dumbass Marvelfag?

For the unit share, not the dollar share.

>they can just give the comics away
I'm pretty I read somewhere that they actually tried that and no one agreed to take them.

It's true. Retailers don't want them, readers don't want them.

>> 4. SUPERMAN VOL. 1: SON OF SUPERMAN TP (DC)
>> 9. GREEN ARROW VOL. 1: THE LIFE & DEATH OF OLIVER QUEEN TP (DC)

They refuse to take them even for free? Kek.

It is also bad for business, akin to a restaurant giving food for free.

The best option is burn everything.

Those issues aren't free, they have to pay for the shipping.

>The best option is burn everything.

The best option is to donate them to a charity. Some orphanage or children's hospital will gladly take them.

>giving such bad books to children
FBI, get a load of this guy.

Nah they leave them in back.

Or chop them up.

One variant "Avenger of [state]" cover for each of the 50 states, plus DC, Puerto Rico, Canada, and the UK.

The UK one is exclusive to only one retailer (Forbidden Planet) though.

They deserve better than Marvel awful books, user.

>Why are marvel overshipping shit when they are already killing DC with the dollar share?
Well, when the average prices of your comics are $1 to $2 over (basically 20%-25% higher) than the competition and you release more books, it's easier to top the dollar share.

How long do LCS typically hang on to unsold merch that they know will probably never sell? I can't imagine there are boxes of dusty, yellowing, unsold Mosaic #1s just taking up room in the back for years and years.

>Marvel 37.09% 42.62%
>DC 28.93% 31.33%

DC GETTING DOMINATED

That Trump Inauguration really helped that book

They just move them in the backroom where they got all those nerds playing card games.
Every time I sit down to play MtG, I see a Mosaic #1.

It is exactly what happens, hence the "storage cost".

rita 8900

>DC GETTING DOMINATED
By the power of overshipping, fucktons of variants, and incentive discounts to retailers.

>Clone Conspiracy tie-in outselling Clone Conspiracy
I guess Amazing is currently getting propped up by people who don't want a gap in their collections.

NO, BY THE POWER OF BETTER CHARACTERS, WRITERS, AND ARTISTS.

Go Dark Horse!!!

>caps and everything

EXCELSIOR!

Currently bitching at Leifeld on twitter for trying to act like "Marvel dominance" still exists. Literally tried telling me Now! wasn't line-wide despite non-rebooted books getting "#1s".

I don't usually tweet at people over this shit but I'm not going to let a god awful artist who road the business coattails of Jim Lee tell me that Marvel is dominating. Or act like he himself knows anything about business. Fuck off.

Nigga we know that's bullshit and you better believe it.

Outside U.S.A.vengers (thanks to Ewing), most of the books in the Top 50 suck, like, a literal lot.

And the books that are good aren't boought due to people getting alienated with how bad Marvel currently is.

Screenshots pls?

DC is gonna own the trade market over the next year.

>Release 10% more books.
>Price books around 25% higher more on average.
>Ship tons of free books to keep up appearances.
So dominant.

> 4. JUSTICE LEAGUE/POWER RANGERS #1 (DC)

N I C E

>Leifeld
I thought he was too good for the Big Bad Two?

Mine isn't pissed, per se, but they aren't happy about it either. They still have to find the shelf space for all of the extra stock they didn't order, which isn't being moved. Most of the overshipping is shelfwarming hard. Plus, they had to still pay for the cost to ship it and they can't even give it away.

My LCS gets swarmed by casuals, kids and parents on FCBD, so I won't be surprised to see them being given away en masse then.

>casuals, kids and parents
Three kinds of audience that Marvel will lose.

Since the Deadpool movie was a success, he's been increasing his volume and really vocally supporting Marvel. Since you know, casuals believe that he's a genius for making Deadpool and it wasn't at all other people that made the character actually good. Just like his other creations.

I won't be posting my twitter on here lol. But it's up there. here's a few that pissed me off enough to call him out.

So I thought

>>Marvel Comics was January’s top publisher with a 37.09% dollar share and a 42.62% unit share. DC Entertainment was the month's number two publisher with a 28.93% dollar share and a 31.33% unit share.

wowowow lookee them Rebirthbux

what was your excuse last month

what will it be next month

The 90s were a mistake.

>1. U.S.AVENGERS #1 (MAR)
SUCK IT DC

>> 1. U.S.AVENGERS #1 (MAR)
holy shit, I didn't think that Ewing would ever be number 1, even with variant gimicks

Finn or DanS is that you?

>> 2. BATMAN #14 (DC)
>> 3. BATMAN #15 (DC)
And it only needed 54 incentive variants to beat two standard Batman issues. DC BTFO. Based Marvel.

basically the two sides are arguing because one side is bad at stats

the fact is nobody's forcing LCS owners to buy titles, so if they didn't want them, they wouldn't order them

Rebirth started out with lots of free copies - returnable books that were ordered in huge numbers, causing a temporary spike in DC's sales (because all figures ultimately come from Diamond, who only count books shipped, not books returned) in order to qualify initially for rarer variants and, as a secondary thing, for second, third etc printing variants, which all have a higher value to the collector's market; however, no returns system would be able to distinguish between variants and standard covers because they're basically (and I think legally) the same product, so when DC got wise to it they stopped the return policy (and said that was always the intention), so their share dropped accordingly because there weren't actually hundreds of thousands of new readers

with Marvel's overshipping thing, it's something we've heard about that doesn't seem to be included in the Diamond figures, because Marvel's unit/dollar share hasn't spiked; so either Diamond overhauled their entire order system (unlikely, at least since late last year) or it's happening but not being included (ie they are legitimately free and don't need to be returned) or it's not happening, at least on the scale Rebirth flooded stores with

the anons bitching about fertilizer down there are, most likely, idiots: Marvel (and DC) ships about 80 titles a month, so even just adding 10% to that as "free" would be a significant cost to them; there's no reason they'd do it, especially if they knew it wouldn't show up in the Diamond shipping figures, which begs the question of who's shipping all these Marvel titles to these stores if it's not Diamond

it's possible that stores who know how much they typically overorder by are pranking DC-heavy stores by sending them extra copies because they think it's funny

tl;dr

>54 incentive variants
They can thank DC for having that idea in New52 JL of America.

Wasn't this the month that Marvel decided to give a free 10% on everything to pad their numbers?

>Checks

Yep, this was the month.

>10% EXTRA FOR FREE ON MARVEL UNIVERSE JANUARY SHIPPING TITLES!
>As a thank you to Retailers, Marvel will be sending an additional 10% of FREE copies for all of January shipping Marvel Universe titles! For all orders made by FOC, Marvel will be sending 10% extra at no cost to Retailers!.

comicsbeat.com/marel-overships-titles-to-retailers-by-10-in-january/

LOL

>Incentive
Those were free to order.:

>Earlier this week, MTV announced that JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1 will have 52 variant covers.
>Note to retailers: There is no minimum purchase needed to order these variants and you will be able to order whichever covers you like.

dccomics.com/blog/2012/11/09/first-look-at-the-variant-covers-for-justice-league-of-america-1

>As a thank you to Retailers, Marvel will be sending an additional 10% of FREE copies for all of January shipping Marvel Universe titles!
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.

>Marvel plagiarizes DC and fails
Same old, same old.

Weird, he was praising rebirth when it first came out.

>with Marvel's overshipping thing, it's something we've heard about that doesn't seem to be included in the Diamond figures, because Marvel's unit/dollar share hasn't spiked; so either Diamond overhauled their entire order system (unlikely, at least since late last year) or it's happening but not being included (ie they are legitimately free and don't need to be returned) or it's not happening, at least on the scale Rebirth flooded stores with
You're wrong.

IvX sold more than DK3, the two costed exactly the same, but DK3 was more profitable. Fucking how?

Simply: DK3 sold more, at least to costumers. IvX numbers were artificially bigger through overshipping.

"W-why would Marvel do it, it would cost them money, they wouldn't do it!"

Marvel itself fucking announces it, user. I don't know what are you trying to accomplish.

Awesome.

2nd issue drop will be hard because it won't have the 50 states + territories variant gimmick.

Our savuor of Marvel, based Ewing beats Batman

i know,varients and overshipping. But Ewing is the only good Marvel writer

>10. THE BLACK MONDAY MURDERS VOLUME 1: ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON TP (MR) (IMA)

Wow.didn't expect that. Good book though

rob is a cunt.

For way longer than that. Court of Owls and New 52 Flash vol 1 continue to sell gangbusters half a decade later. Even shit tier New 52 Suicide Squad.

50 states and territories and an announced 10% overship on January titles. Personally, I can't wait. The way Marvel's been doing things right now - where they pull out every sales gimmick imaginable to pump one title up to the top or near it like IvX, Champions, etc. - is hilarious. The drop watch is exciting.

Marvel buys his own comics---And give them away..I bet trump is paid it.

They already got what they wanted: the holophotes.

"USAvengers sells 350,000" will be a headline.

"USAvengers #2 sells 30,000" will not be a headline.

The same happened with Rocket Raccoon and Champions.

Again, in English?

>dude Marvel just overshipped last time DC will definitely beat them next month
stay tuned for the next episode of Sup Forums in denial

> I like company wars
Go outside and play with the other kids, maybe they'll beat some sense into you