Can we all agree that this is the best war film ever made?

Can we all agree that this is the best war film ever made?

No.

It's a movie set in the war, but is it a "war film"? The war really only serves as a workable backdrop for the actual narrative and themes of the film.

Not an argument

Nothing happens, the movie

Wow man, you really got me

plebs can't appreciate this film

I didn't say I didn't appreciate it. Brainlet.

>haha he ritard :)

He's right though

absolute state of Sup Forums
can't into serious film discussion

>blocks your path

This the best film ever made, period.

This

i dont know, but i do know that if i had to pick 1, i would have a hard time picking against it, and if i had to pick 5 it would probably be the first.

Le vieux fusil

Set during the war, but not really a war film.

I guess you're french. no need for battles to have a war film imo.
Au revoir les enfants is good too

It's pretty good but probably not the best.

Personally, if you can count miniseries, Band of Brothers would be my pick.

Otherwise it's up there with

>Das Boot
>Letters from Iwo Jima
>Saving Private Ryan
>Dunkirk
>Patton

>be me
>browse Sup Forums again for the first time in months
>why did I left this place?
>oh that's why....

Saving Private Ryan pissed me off with that wimpy correspondent guy because it felt like you were actually meant to appreciate his """development""". Also making all the German soldiers skinheads seemed a bit lazy, and the reality of the violence was downplayed as the film went on.
Still a very emotional film with great performances though.

the absolute madman

This.

It's not secret that the movie is a take on the book "Heart of Darkness", which is not at all a "war story". The whole concept is that of the "Western civilized man" going into a place that is very different than western civilization for the purpose of making it more like it. In the "heart" of the uncivilized area a the former agent of this civilzation, now labeled as "crazy/deranged", has took control of the local "savages" and is making things difficult.

>Saving Private Ryan
Tom Hanks carries that movie. Without him it is completely forgettable.

>Dunkirk
I'm assuming you mean the latest version, which in that case, no. It really isn't that good.

Well i don't think one can generalize about what's the best warfilm.
If you compare for example apocalypse now and the thin red line you have on one side a character study about a man going down a path into the dark depths of humanity (much like the books) while the other is more of an overall point on view of how war is affecting everybody in every rank involved in it and how they are differently emotional stirred. They are both anti war movies but none of them is particularly better imo.

>he's never seen Aguirre: The Wrath of God

>a group of soldiers in a foreign land take a boat along a river, are picked off by encounters with the natives and progressively lose their sanity
>tfw you realise Aguirre and Apocalypse Now are the same movie

>we have to carry the boat across the mountain!

They are both just Heart of Darkness.

I was confused by the boat in the tree. Was that meant to be an illusion?

Das Boot definitely.

There are at least 245 movies and 1600 books with a similar plot

The most boring film I've ever seen

name 4 major motion pictures with a similar plot

Didn't herzog find the tree boat by accident and it's still not clear how it got up there? that or floods

Not even in the top 20

why do you say that? plenty of exciting things happened
the destroyer in the periscope was one of the best jumpscares (if you could call it that) I've ever seen
that thing looked like 20 metres up in the air at least
can rivers seriously flood that much?

got bored after 40 minutes of literally nothing happeneing and when say there were more than 2 hours left I turned it off

It was shit, extremely boring and I wanted all the characters to die.

For me, it's The Thin Red Line.

>has the attention span of a child and didn't even watch a third of the film
>it was boring!
well no shit

Nice ad hominem there pal

If you unironically think any argumental movie is too complex to the average person to understand you are the brainlet in this conversation

Nothing happens in that movie

I'm not saying it's complex, you clearly just have a shit attention span and turn things off if explosions don't happen soon enough.
Plenty of development happened in the first 40 minutes.

Nah, most of my favourite movies don't involve guns nor fast cars

I just don't dig homoherotic war films, even less those who are supposed to be pseudo-deep

>homoherotic war films
"I didn't understand Master & Commander"-tier bait right there

It's not really a war film but as far as movies involving a war go it's the best

I understand them, as I already said, only a clinical retard wouldn't understand a aristotelical-argumental film

I just don't get what people see in them

>dude honour lmao
>dude patritism lmao
>dude a lot of dudes doing "manly" stuff lmao

>dude honour lmao
>dude patritism lmao
>dude a lot of dudes doing "manly" stuff lmao
it really shows that you only watched 40 minutes of it if that's your idea of it

I also think directors should have power of syntesis and don't make movies longer than 120 minutes

Anyone could make a deep movie with good characters development in a 3 hours and a half film. You are literally asking people to get bored

Daily reminder that patricians such as myself know that Redux is the superior cut

this, but even more unironically

this, the plantation bit is like the eye of the storm

>don't make movies longer than 120 minutes
ok you're just baiting
I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue about a movie with someone who didn't watch it

Nah

plebs

There are movies for any kind of people, you go and keep watching slow movies from the 80s with 100% male casts while I watch the films I like

>while I watch the films I like
I want to hear what these are now.

pleb

there is literally nothing wrong with 100% male casts

Yeah, there is literally nothing wrong with being gay, just no my thing

As I said, there are different kinds of art for different kind of people, nothing is wrong or right

>he needs to see female characters so his sexuality isn't threatened
you seem a little insecure my dude

Mmm, rather the opposite, you are projecting now

Again, I said there is nothing wrong with being gay. What's wrong is being in the closet and trying too hard to be "manly" (like masculinity and sexuality were the same thing lol) and you pretend to like movies about strong guys doing manly shit and killing each other

Can you actually articulate why enjoying a movie with primarily male characters = gay?

you have to go back

this is bait

Sup Forums is literally incapable of staying on topic

>tfw normies remember this movie only because of that one The Doors song and the helicopter raid scene

we posting 'nam apus?

Why did he kill Chef?
Chef dindu nuffin

Honestly probably my favorite film ever.

it's shit

I was pretty confused by that editing, Chef was like 10 seconds away from calling the airstrike, the boat didn't appear easily accessible without wading through the water and climbing onto it, and no one was in sight.

That depends... are we talking about Apocalypse Now or Apocalypse Now Redux?

the superior version, obviously

You're trying too hard