The series has received mostly negative reviews. Hugh Armitage of Digital Spy said that the series is an old concept...

The series has received mostly negative reviews. Hugh Armitage of Digital Spy said that the series is an old concept, and that the characters are too one-dimensional. Armitage went on to say that the portrayal of the Hindu gods would be offensive to modern Hindus.
'Cheryl CS of The Pulp praised the art and fight scenes, but called the main story "cheesy" and "confusing."

they're right. Comic sucks.

>the portrayal of the Hindu gods would be offensive to modern Hindus.

What the fuck aren't Hindus offended by? They're like less violent Muslims that are safe to ignore. They never shut the fuck up any time one of their freaky gods is depicted in anything.

Only character with good characterization was hephaestus

I've only read the first trade paperback, but so far my impression is that it's not meant to be taken seriously; there's no intended message here or anything, it's just a rollicking rollercoaster of madness and silliness. The protagonists are constantly getting things wrong, the gods themselves are ludicrous and childish and the world responds in insane ways to the situation at hand.

I think that seen through that lens it's just fine. Don't take it too seriously and just enjoy the ride.

>Hindus
>Less violent then Muslims

You might want to crack open a history book there user

On paper, this comic seems like it should be perfect. Created by Hickman, high concept, team of decently solid writers, Alan Moore shows up for a bit...

But really it was just Hickman having an idea that he didn't care much about, and he peaced the fuck out of there. Oh and also Alan Moore is a joke now.

>But really it was just Hickman having an idea that he didn't care much about, and he peaced the fuck out of there.

So like all of his work?

Hindus are extremely violent, they are just contained to their one country.

>their one country.
The United Kingdom?

We're not talking about history, now are we? Stupid mudslime.

>So like all of his work?
He's got two 30-issue books at Image, plus a lot of other projects going on. Most of his delays are due to artists ... I'll never understand why he agreed to work with Bodenheim again after the debacle that was Secret.

>Christianity bashed endlessly in nearly every form of media for ~past 4 decades
>Nobody of any significance gives a shit

>Some other religion is finally targeted
>"w-we shouldn't portray this, it might o-o-offend them..."

To be fair, nobody besides Hindus treat Hinduism with any kind of respect. With Christianity and Islam people understand that you have to give them some sanctity because they're someone's genuine beliefs, but people treat Hinduism the same as they treat shit like Greek Mythology, as antiquated folklore instead of genuine religion.

What the fuck are you talking about.

Are you saying Hindus don't have geniune belief in their religion? Are they just doing it ironically?

What the hell is genuine religion anyway?

No he's saying the media tends to portray Hinduism as they tend to portray dead pagan religions instead of like they portray Major Modern religions.

No, I'm saying a lot of people don't think about the fact that Hindus genuinely believe their religion. You're not gonna have people who make jokes about Jesus or Muhammad not being real because they want to respect that some people genuinely believe in them, but not many people avoid making jokes about Hindu gods not being real or being silly in the same way you might about Greek gods.

I think my wording may be confusing, but basically I'm saying Westerners don't hold Hinduism in the same regard they do Christianity and Islam and Judaism, so actual Hindus in the West have an excuse to be butthurt about how others treat their religion.

>You're not gonna have people who make jokes about Jesus or Mohammad not being real
But we fucking do, which is ironic because they were probably real though their divinity is a different matter

>Jesus
>real

Well that's just us because we're allowed to offend people here.

>Old Concept

It really is."What if the gods came back" has been played out so many times there's video games about it.

>Too one-dimensional

This was my biggest complaint. It felt like a high schooler who just figured out "dude like, the Greek gods, they were so petty and cruel and shit". The gods were meant to represent the spectrum of human actions and interactions. Zeus was just rule and injust rule. Poseidon was the sea that gives and the sea that takes. Making them complete monsters isn't profound or deep or even interesting and has been done to death. Hickman should have wrote like Ovid or Lord Dunsany but instead he wrote like Garth Ennis.

And the idea that the pagan gods were jealous gods like the Judeo-Christian God and would fight each other for worshipers is unfounded for most religions.

>Offensive to modern Hindus

I really don't give a shit about people getting triggered over their favorite gods getting butchered in some comic.

However, the Hindu gods getting BTFO by the Norse was complete horseshit. Their avatars are a match for most pantheons. It would take something like Allah or Yahweh to stand up to Maha-Vishnu who sweats multiverses. Literally sweats multiverses.

>Cheesy and Confusing

It was more boring than anything. The typical Age of Mythology trinity of Norse Greek and Egypt dominate with some Christianity thrown in at the tail end of the first arc. Assholes go around killing assholes.

It was also clear that Hickman was desperate for attention because he cranked up the edge. Remember when he had not-Stephen Hawking stumble out of his wheelchair and kiss Zeus' foot for mercy while straining to say please with his broken body?

That screamed "someone please blogpost about my series".

Hickman was never good. He introduces interesting ideas that go absolutely fucking nowhere.

It's rather telling that the big Avengers that hyped TIME RUNS OUT and EVERYTHING ENDS ended with absolutely fuck-all changing for the multiverse besides the Fantastic Four being exiled to no-movie-rights limbo and Miles being in 616.

>It's a pol vs tumblr thread hidden by something related to the board episode

And the Moore/Glycon story

>Hindus getting offended by the pink Elephant in DBS
>complaint asking to be removed
>Toei, Toriyama and Toyotaro don't give a fuck
>they called the God Ramishi or something something
Truly /ourguys/

I think Hickman was fishing for controversy when he had the Hindu pantheon lose horribly to the Norse.

I think it shows how poorly the series sold in that NO ONE raised a fuss over Aryan white gods brutally murdering Vishnu and friends.

Public defecation doesnt seem to offend them.

I was offended that they jobbed that hard.
Hindu Gods are fucking broken.

Well. There is a book where the Norse get utterly humiliated and brutally torn into pieces by the aztec gods. Cant remember the name.

It's like The Wicked + The Divine but slightly less terrible

>thereĀ“s dbz powerlevel fanfics of gods fighting each others
wew

For years now. The book is ok, there are like 5 or 6 of them.

Their fucking avatars would have slaughtered Odin and friends. That's not even getting into their Superman Thought-Robot sized regular forms.

Well when you get down to it the Norse weren't that impressive as gods. They had to eat their golden apples to stay young, they eventually all get killed by monsters and giants, Odin had to sacrifice his eye for omniscience, that wasn't something the Norse gods just had.

Compare that to the Aztec gods who have gone through several world-ending Apocalypses.

I stopped after the first volume. How SJW did it get?

>The book is okay

user, come on. It's ultra violent Percy Jackson.

dude TIME RUNS OUT was so epic, well writen and then... SW was a complete wasted of all the narrative builded .... i still try to do head canons that replace SW as a continuity of TRO

SW was like Convergence. It introduced a lot of interesting worlds and settings and characters and then did fuck-all with them besides Old Man Logan showing up in 616 and Weirdworld getting stuck in the Bermuda Triangle and not having good stories.

>user, come on. It's ultra violent Percy Jackson.

Yeah... It's ok.

>Christianity bashed endlessly in nearly every form of media for ~past 4 decades
Gods not dead got a sequal
So you are wrong.

>Hickman was never good. He introduces interesting ideas that go absolutely fucking nowhere.
All of his Fantastic Four ideas went somewhere because he was able to tell his full story, and it was awesome.

His Avengers run clearly had more meddling than he wanted. Neither Infinity nor Secret Wars were originally supposed to be major crossovers. "Nothing changing" has nothing to do with Hickman -- that's all on Marvel.

East of West has been stellar. Black Monday Murders is perfect. Manhattan Projects was a blast, and it will be again if they can ever get it coming out again.

SHIELD should be really cool if Marvel ever decides to release the final issues that are finished.

Everything else has been miniseries that are mostly great.

Forgot Secret Warriros -- that absolutely went somewhere. Unfortunately it had to end about 20 issues earlier than he wanted, so not everything materialized, but it was a great run while it lasted. And Ultimates would've been fucking amazing if he didn't decide to leave for Avengers (he's my favorite writer but I'll never forgive him for that).

Best post in this thread.

HE'S

SURELY

ALIVE

>Making not Stephen Hawking degrade himself in front of Zeus for a chance to be cured only to have his head smashed into jelly

That was just tasteless. I don't want to be a SJW and say it shouldn't have been printed, people can print whatever they want, but that was tasteless.
Hickman's thought process through the story:

I am surprised that scene didn't get controversy clicks for the series. Did no one read God is Dead?

"SJWs" for some reason don't seem to give a shit about Avatar Press, or at least aren't vocal about it.

That's because NO ONE gives a shit about Avatar Press.

That's not true. Alan Moore and Rich Johnson do.