Who have better world building? DC or Marvel?

Who have better world building? DC or Marvel?

Both are awful nonsense.

People will say DC because Sup Forums is just partial to DC in comics but it's Marvel, it has always been Marvel.

When you think of DC, you think of the trinity or its truly iconic characters. Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern. All these characters have basically worlds of their own. Gotham is as starkly different to Metropolis as it is to Star City.

Marvel has built its foundation on teams and interconnectivity between its most popular characters. Spider-Man regularly has team-ups with all sorts of characters. One of the most popular franchises for Marvel is/was the X-Men, just a gigantic roster of characters. JSA is fantastic but when you think of the Justice League, you think of its main core. The Avengers has generally been whoever the fuck is in New York. Marvel's world feels very 'real' in that whoever you are reading about, you feel they are truly connected to the world at large. You don't always get this with DC, even if they have better quality stories.

>When you think of DC, you think of the trinity or its truly iconic characters. Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern. All these characters have basically worlds of their own. Gotham is as starkly different to Metropolis as it is to Star City.

This is what makes DC better though. They all feel like distinct places built up with intersecting lore.

It depends.

DC for mystical and multiversal lore

Marvel for street level lore

>intersecting lore
barely any

Right now both are a mess, but they had a nice thing going before Flashpoint where they'd used the multiple crises to trim and tidy up the landscape of their continuity in a way Marvel's never really done.

If you're reading comics for the "world" then both are wastes of your time.

>A or B
>dude C/neither lmao im so smart

how is this even a question?

one gets amazing movies and tv shows from their world by first time directors and writers and the other can't get oscar winners to make anything remotely salvageable

>who have
Its has 3rd world moron.

When the fuck are we going to kick these faggots out?

>cosmic marvel bendis'd
>magic getting synergized with the films
>street level completely underutilized until it gets bendis'd
>geniuses killed off or written out of existence
>x-men put to the brink of extinction and only brought back because inhumans can't sell for shit
>ewing is a one-man multiverse building madman that has to spend half his time fixing continuity errors

Give Marvel a couple years to get their shit together. DC is really ramping things up right now and they've fixed a lot of the crap they had the past few years.

DC.
Marvel is just New York dickheads infighting.

Never. /tv jr/ is real and here to stay.

This.

You can find DC's approach more enjoyable but the whole thing that made Marvel Marvel was the worldbuilding and connective tissue. Was it a sales gimmick? Sure, but it was a successful sales gimmick. People flocked to it and wanted more.

Nolan wasn't a first time director wtf

Personally ut depends.DC can build a fantastic personal mythos for characters like Batman,Green lantern,Blue beetle etc but they don't interconnect or feel cohesive that much.Its hard to imagine Wonder woman's Olympus gods existing side by side with galactus,or Braniac ever getting involved with The green lanterns.Marvle is a lot stronger building stuff together,Most of marvel cosmic interacts with each other and influences the origins of artificacts and origins of the world(Celestials creating mutants,Knowhere existing,),I feel the marvel universe is more together than the dc universe although guys like Morrison do try to unite all those elements they rarely stick.

C is the correct option.

OP will try either A or B, be dissatisfied, and then a week from now start a thread to whine that comics are dumb and should be more like manga.

This truly does depend on what you want. There are people in this thread saying Marvel because it's better at connecting everything and having a foundation and structure that better serves everything in it. But that's not all worldbuilding is. It's just one kind of worldbuilding.

There's something to be said for the fact that you can separate all of DC's major properties and have them function autonomously with untold depths of self-contained lore. You could run a tv series for years off singular runs by writers. Even C-listers have enough stuff going on that you could have functional storytelling for ages without necessitating a crossover.

Marvel has this too to a degree. But not as deeply. You could do that with Spider-Man and X-Men and maybe the Fantastic Four but what makes Marvel so interesting is it's interconnectivity. The Platonic ideal of an adaptation of the MU involves all of their stuff together functioning in tandem. The Platonic ideal of an adaptation of nearly any DC property is them doing stuff without having to deal with anyone else's shit except for times where it would be super cool to do so.

So for cohesive interconnectivity and organic interaction definitely Marvel. For deep self-contained worlds definitely DC.

>Celestials creating mutants

That's fucking stupid and takes away from what the X-men are all about.

It literally makes the characters worse because people can relate more with the idea of somebody being judge for being different while the idea of somebody being different because space alien gods made them is just dorky ''lovecraftlmao'' shit

This. I was more of a DCfag but these past few weeks I've been catching up with Marvel and it is a lot better. The way Spidey can swing around and bump into DD or other heroes is what makes it an actual world.

How many times does the Bat actually run into anyone in Gotham aprt from Selina or the Family?

I can't find the hypercrisis screenshot but DC is an organism while Marvel is a machine. Both fine but different perspectives.

>Spidey can swing around and bump into DD

Helps that 90% of Marvel's characters are in New York.

>I can't be bothered to research both universes in order to make an informed decision so I'll just call them both shit

Can you two go fuck yourselves?

This made me thinking.

Marvel being able to build a successful CU was because their world originally is better connected while DC is failing because their world is more disconnected (and also because WB are incompetent fools of course). Does this means it's better to let go of the idea of shared DC CU and do self contained movies instead?

DC because Marvel draws mainly from real world events whereas DC has to create their own

>Who have better world building?

DC was created organically from a mishmash of titles over decades. The silver age revival did add a little bit of consistency but DC has historically been more static and unwilling to chase trends until the british wave brought post-modernism and deconstructionism to comics in the 80's.

Marvel, curated by Stan Lee, has a much more internally coherent core. Even with the 70's gimmick characters and explosion of the x-men in the 80's can't shake that coherence.

If you do the math, DC has hundreds of wizard and magic amulet characters that are almost never used anymore because of how out of fashion they are. Marvel is robust with scifi characters and just a few magic outliers.

Considering DC has has decades of adaptions where it has had heroes from multiple franchises interacting (including Lego which now has its own cinematic universe), I don't see why the failure of a couple of recent movies would cause you to draw this sort of conclusion.

For comparison, compare which DC titles are still around vs which Marvel titles are still around.

Dude celestials made EVERYONE,mutants being an experiment doesn't change shit on how they view themselves or what there lives are like,likewise it's the best explanation for mutants like cyclops,Franklin Richards or Matthew Malloy who are too OP to just be regular mutations

>How many times does the Bat actually run into anyone in Gotham aprt from Selina or the Family?
This makes me doubt that you read DC.

Batman just teamed up with Baz and Jessica (the current earth green lanterns) in Gotham to help him with Scarecrow.

Marvel's world looks like a crack house that is being flooded by an exploding toilet.

DC looks like a a house that was demolished, rebuilt by the Three Stooges with shitty materials and then rebuilt again with materials recycled from the old house.

That's not what the second post says.

Superman and Batman show up in each other books many times. Barry and Hal are teaming up soon in May. We have many team books that gather characters from different franchises together like JL, Titans, RHATO...etc.

Each franchise of DC can stand in its own without needing the other, but that doesn't mean that they aren't connected or the characters hardly meetup with each other.

>world
>marvel
If this were a game of Simcity using a landsat map I might give it to them.

>muh world building
go to sleep, Sanderson

DC threw away all their world building with the New 52, so...

Just worldbuilding?

Before Quesada became EIC: Marvel
Quesada becomes EIC all the way to Flashpoint: Evenly matched at first though leaning more toward DC in the years leading up to Flashpoint.
Launch of New 52 to Convergence and Secret Wars: Marvel (barely)
DC You/All-New All-Different Marvel: Even
Rebirth launch to now: DC

No they didnt

>Rebirth launch to now: DC

Except it's a giant mess now. New 52 and pre-flashpoint still doesn'T mesh together.

bump

Both of them are utterly enormous convoluted messes, but at least Marvel hasn't partially rebooted and then un-rebooted their continuity multiple times. So, very narrow advantage to Marvel.

This is independent of judgments on their writing quality.

Except world building is entirely about writing quality, not how many details you can cram into a single continuity.

>it's a giant mess now
Not really, Rebirth is fixing a lot of problems N52 suffered. The problems will not magically disappear, but they are getting there.

I disagree. You can have outstanding writing that still tramples all over continuity, which is bad for world-building.

Rebirth is good, but it's making DC's world an even bigger mess than it was before.

I want to say Marvel, but the truth is that it hasn't been Marvel in a long, long time. They had some great interconnected world-building like points out at one point and, unlike DC, the universe was designed to be interconnected rather than a bunch of unrelated characters gradually getting thrown to like in DC. When the editorial was tighter (I want to say the '80s at the latest, but some '90s stuff wasn't so bad in this respect) and they actively avoided continuity errors, it was pretty damn good.

The problem is that they've fallen from grace and Marvel is currently a clusterfuck. Continuity may as well have not existed for the past five years, and arguably for at least the past decade, which is a blow to the world-building among other things. I know that continuity and world-building aren't the exact same things, but it's continuity that allowed Marvel's style of world-building in the first place, with every writer basically adding more bricks to a foundation and on top of bricks already in place.

DC has always had a looser continuity, but tying it together with meta lore over the years has made it a lot more appealing in its own right and I feel like their world-building got better as a result, but Marvel was better at one point.

Marvel. DC comics and movies are a mess. Rebirth is just shoehorning and forcing things in that really is NOT new reader friendly. It's a right mess. Longtime fans are willing to accept any bs as long as they get the same old same old recycled stuff. Canon is supposed to be streamlined, you supposed to have a hero with his origins, his events, develop him etc. DC are
wiping versions and stories out for nostalgia. They shooting themselves in the foot. The way they are doing it is enormously heavy handed, under handed, stupid, it has 0 stakes, it just means now you can do and undo at will. Stories w ill never hold any value or weight when you do this. It is the laziest way to world build.

Rebirth problem is the writers honestly. Some of them just in rush to get their characters from point A to B or the place they were in before the reboot without making them earn their current position.

>Marvel has built its foundation on teams and interconnectivity between its most popular characters.

nah, places like Asgard have never meshed well because they literally just lifted norse mythology and put it in. Savage Land and Madripoor and Genosha and the Moon Inhumans and shit don't feel connected to each other, and it's worse now because Marvel is even further delineating shit with the Fox owned properties rarely, if ever, interacting with the rest of the characters.

With DC I feel like Gotham and Metropolis and Coast City and such could be in the same realm. Darkseid and Lex Luthor could team up, stuff like that.

I don't disagree but at this point in time compared to Marvel it looks better. That's how bad it is.

>Liking Marvel these past few weeks
Nigga wut?

Different strokes for different folks. I'd argue that DC has it better because their characters seem to live in completely distinct realities despite the fact that they're all Earth. It also bothers me that 90% of Marvel's street tier are based in New York as if there aren't any other metropolitan areas that need heroes. I mean with DC, you have Green Arrow in Central City, Batman in Gotham, Superman in Metropolis, and even Wondy traveling all over the world because the Gods are messing with everyone as they do. DC's heroes reflect their environment and vice versa just like the real world and it creates Stark contrasts when they crossover. The latest Green Lantern crossover with Batman was a pretty good example.

That's not good worldbuilding, since it relies on the idea of every goddamn superhero in the universe living in New York. That's like the polar opposite.

Reminder that Marvel still has the Hyborian Age as a backstory, which makes it somewhat richer
Marvel's background is much more convoluted but at the same time has better potential
Marvel's cosmic is bigger scale than DC's, having the beyonders, celestians, High tier demons like the Many angled ones while DC seemingly only has Darkseid, the Monitors and Trigon (tho I could be mistaken and I'm not really counting abstracts on either side, DC does have a judochristian background while Marvel has a pulp cosmic one)
Team books are about equal, classic X books, Justice league and teen titans are fantastic regardless of company
I'd say Marvel has had better continuous runs while DC has better graphic novels

>DC comics and movies are a mess. Rebirth is just shoehorning and forcing things in that really is NOT new reader friendly

Fuck off, like what Marvel is doing so friendly to new readers?

>Jean is such an insufferable bitch her mantle and legacy just went to her younger self brought from the past

Marvel actually tried to world build even if it was mostly a side effect of 6 guys working there

DC is a shambling Frankenstein of a bunch of shit that the company has bought and incorporated that people have spent the last 30 years trying to wield into something coherent.

Well, for one, I can understand Marvel's world, DC's world confuses me so much.

>DC is a shambling Frankenstein of a bunch of shit that the company has bought and incorporated that people have spent the last 30 years trying to wield into something coherent.

on the other hand, the most important out of those "people" is Grant Morrison.