Where did people get the idea that star wars are squeaky-clean family movies?

seriously, it's far from Tarantino, but correct me if i'm wrong, because i'm pretty sure Pixar franchises don't involve brutal dictatorships, guerrilla warfare, people burning alive, incestuous kisses, slave trading, drug use, prostitution, genocide, crime syndicates, torture, and cultures that kidnap people and hunt them for sport.

You're totally right user, Star Wars isn't for children. It's for big strong men like you!

Numales ruin everything they touch

Because once upon a time this sort of thing was considered okay for kid's movies
Consider Temple of Doom for example

>muh edgy comics
kys

that wasn't my point. my point is A) it's annoying seeing people drag 5 year olds into a star wars movie and scarring the poor bastards and B) it means people reject the idea of a more "serious" star wars movie without even stopping to think if it would be good.

Only that panel on the bottom right is unique to the comics and it's the tamest of the lot

Most people dont delve into the expanded universe

Children weren't "scarred" by violence in Star Wars 40 years ago, why would they now in a post-9/11 world?
Rogue One was a serious Star Wars movie and it wasn't good

Also your post seems to tie violence with seriousness.

For good reason

Because the guy who created this universe said it is for children and his opinion has more weight than any neckbeard who will never grow up from Sup Forums

>Rogue One was a serious Star Wars movie and it wasn't good
Disney ruining m-muh childhood eh user

Dark themes have always been in television and movies focused on children.

Star Wars is all ages. The darkest is probably episode V, some of VI and the second half of III. Adults will notice these themes but kids see lightsabers and boba fett.

because i can't make a collage of dialogue, backstory and the tone of scenes. no one would be able to tell what the hell any of it meant.

I saw Star Wars when I was like 2. There's really nothing in there a toddler can't handle apart from some arms getting chopped off. You sound like a pussy.

yeah i'm sure a 2 year old would be just fine after watching a man scream in pain for several minutes while burning to death with half of his limbs missing

jesus, people, i don't want "texas chainsaw massacre: in space", nor am i saying "star wars is corrupting our youth", i'm saying that a young adult star wars film would have good potential, and it's infuriating when people insist "a star wars movie trying something new? HARAM!"

rogue one was shit because it was a shit movie. saying it's shit because it was serious is like saying the prequels were shit because they made darth vader's helmet symmetrical.

P-p-projection, eh user?
>people reject the idea of a more "serious" star wars movie without even stopping to think if it would be good.
I was simply stating that we already have a "serious" Star Wars movie that was made without thought, and is considered good by some and bad by others.
But I guess OP isn't just baiting, which is sad because that post is written terribly. Yes, Star Wars could and should have more specific stories that appeal to smaller demographics.

yeah, my bad. i was pissed off because i'd just finished arguing with someone who was insisting "but a star wars aimed at older audiences wouldn't work because Star Wars Is For Kids™" even though EU star wars content aimed at young adult audiences have been wildly sucessful and even at times critically acclaimed.

i accept full responsibility for coming across like a massive retard in the original post.

Alright now I can settle down. I think OB1 is their chance at this.
>Lars Owen is in some trouble with the local underworld, he borrowed money for his farm and the season just didn't provide enough moisture(lol) to pay it back.
>Crime Boss threatens Owen, sends goons to trash the farm.
>Owen sends his nephew and wife away, he needs an old friend's help to get out of this one.
>Luke meets "Old Ben"
>Lars has a reason to mistrust Luke with Ben after they have a violent revenge buddy cop drama

Owen Lars*

yeah, it just really gets under my nerves when people say that YA star wars wouldn't succeed. KOTOR II sure as hell succeeded with me when i was its target age bracket, and i still hold it in high regard 13 years later as an adult.

YA star wars works. why do people get so angry and/or dismissive when you say that?

"Star Wars should be for everyone"

i don't really mind what age group they go for with the Obi Wan movie, i just want them to not do a horrible corporate focus-tested pile of soulless nostalgia that's just entertaining enough that you can't critique it without getting into arguments *cough rogue one cough*

but there are a lot of potential stories for star wars that would be worthwhile, but can't be made for kids because the kids would just complain there wasn't enough pew pew sword fighting. star wars should be for everyone, but that shouldn't be taken so religiously that it limits the creative potential of the franchise either.

Rogue one was good what are you people talking about?

>where did people get the idea that star wars are squeaky-clean family movies?
George Lucas.

>Master Kenobi I'm Lars

He looks like he's at an autistic Sup Forums meet-up, smirking as he intentionally does it

george lucas also said the prequels were good films, so people should really take his opinions with a grain of salt.

>Nu-StarWars
>For Adults

Seriously the target audience is 5-8 years old.

Rogue One was unironically better than
all the movies from the original trilogies, plus episode 7 of course

star wars is kid friendly now because the target audience is the original audience's children. it's like the opposite of what tolkein did with LotR

My only hope is that it's on one planet, but that's far fetched.
I think you're underestimating kids again. I'm pretty sure it's the 32 year old fans with a $800 lightsaber that need a pew pew sword fight. Kids are just fine watching animated movies with really minimal conflict in hem, and some with actual thematic intentions.
If you want to place blame, it's on Disney. They have enough money to take risks.
We are at a really opportune time in movies right now for people to accept mistakes from franchises(except from DC). If Disney were to release a 100% droids and aliens movie with a complex plot about Humans in the galaxy, it probably wouldn't make as much money but the general Star Wars audience would appreciate the variety.

But first they have 12 movies of nostalgia to get through, and good Star Wars games officially aren't a thing anymore.

#NotAllStarWars

like i said, many of the books and games that came out as part of the EU were targeted to YA audiences, and were hugely successful. some were even critically acclaimed.

and by the way, there's a LOT of political allegory in Star Wars.

Of course he did. Has a director ever admitted to making bad movies?

no. but do you really think people should consider george lucas an authority on what makes a good star wars movie, when he's responsible for the prequels? he clearly doesn't quite understand his own creation.

>muh childhood
He didn't want to direct the prequels but was basically forced to, which is the main problem with them.

i grew up with the prequels, not the OT. the movies suck, but if what you say about lucas not wanting to make more movies is true, that changes my perception of him a hell of a lot.

clarification: by "the movies" i only mean the prequels

He was surrounded by yes men which is why people attribute everything bad directly to George. Yes, he made Jar Jar key to all of this and his original idea didn't get hanged muh by other people.

But he also tried to get ANYONE else to direct the movie, but everyone went "oh no George, I couldn't do that. This is your baby." Hence him sitting behind the monitors drinking coffee for the entire production of three movies.

poor bastard. even a really great director would be fucked if no one dared challenge their bad ideas. thanks for clearing that up.

Star Wars has fundamentally changed over the years, and has basically become a medium to tell stories in instead of a self-contained hero's journey adventure made for everyone. Why else would there be a tv show where everything from Godzilla movies to war films have been used as inspiration for stories? That's not even accounting for the entirety of the EU and the media franchise the ot has spawned.

Action scenes maybe, the problem was that every character except the robot was uninteresting turning supposedly emotional scenes into a borefest. If you asked me ten years ago during my teen years Rogue One would he my ideal SW fanfic movie but as an adult I fell asleep in the fucking theatre which had never happened to me before in my life
Say what you will about TFA but at Least they remembered that you have to make your audience care about the characters during the first act instead of jumping straight into the plot

Lucas will basically say anything about Star Wars to make it seem like he's right. He's said they're made for children, he's said they're soap operas, he's said they're mindless fun, he's said they're not really about spaceships, and any number of other things. He's just a hack with a desperate need to project an air of superiority over people, which is the same reason he's been promising to get back to making "real" movies and art films for 40 years.

>Kevin Spacey as Darth Vader

Fucking savage

>you dont get to bring jawas

because they had toys to sell

Everyone of those images is pre-Disney though

Point to me one example for VII and Roige one where there is anything like that.