How does Sup Forums like the new Greenies?

How does Sup Forums like the new Greenies?

I fell off DC not too long after N52 so I've just been going back through my favorite area of the DC universe, namely the Lanters, to see what I've missed.

I've only read Tomasi's GLC focusing on Guy and John up to the end of the First Lantern crossover as I generally enjoy more of a focus on the Corps than individuals.

But man there's a lot of Post N52 Lantern shit what with Green Lantern, GLC, New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Sinestro and Larfleeze. So I was curious what Sup Forums thinks about the Lanterns in a Post-Johns/New 52 world and if the two newbies are worth giving a shot. The idea of adding another two Earth GLs leaves a bad taste in the mouth personally.

Overall GL thread I guess.

They are cute enough to make up for the fact that they are not necessary. Art is kind of sloppy at least to start though.

>They are cute

They're not trying to ship they are they?

eh I think it's ok as long as they are doing different things, kyles white, john is in charge, hal and guy are doing different space stuff, and you have 2 on earth

Thankfully no

I love the Green Lantern-verse but it's such a bad example of a series where you need to read EVERYTHING to understand. Shit's really heating up in the First Lantern arc in issue 19 of GLC then you go to issue 20 and it's Guy and John cleaning up and throwing out there that all the Guardians were killed by Sinestro and I'm like what the fuck?

Apparently you were also supposed to be following Hal's story in the main GL book and you had to buy GL #20 to get closure for all the other Lantern books in the event.

They suck and unnecessary and redundant
Just bring back hal

Jessica should be violet or purple
Simon should be yellow

>Simon should be yellow
>Is a Muzzie

das racist

simon is blue

Honestly Jessica is pure green. Maybe yellow but it would only be in the context of knowing her own fear and they pretend like that doesn't count sometimes.

True

Don't forget Omega Men. It's barely a Lantern book, but Kyle is a main character so it counts, and it's also the best book of the bunch from post Johns new52 stuff. It was the book that got people noticing Tom King, and it deserved it.
Red Lanterns, Larfleeze, Sinestro, Godhead, and post DCYou Green Lantern were fun. New Guardians, Corps, the Corps minis, and pre DCYou Green Lantern were meh to bad. The new stuff is pretty good, not amazing but solid. Baz and Jessica definitely have a cool rapor. Green Lantern Corps is what it should be, nothing more nothing less.

I thought people hate Tom King? I see everyone shit on his Batman.

I'm not really familiar with what DCYou is was that a big shake up in the titles or something?

He was the golden boy when he was on Omega Men, Sherrif of Babylon, and Vision. He also did a masterpiece of a Green Lantern one shot for Darkseid War. King-wank was a daily occurrence and he was often called the next Johns. DC took notice and gave him the big book and he got popular, so of course Sup Forums turned on him. I love his Batman. His style isn't what Batman normally is, but it's still great.

Oh shit I forgot he did Vision I loved that shit now I have to check out his Bats and Omega Men. Especially because I hear he's doing a big Bane story.

This.
I'm hoping Humphries is setting up Baz to doublefist a Blue and Green ring.

I still can't believe that the book is at the quality it's at. The thing I like the most about GLs is that he's following the Johns tradition of pulling together continuity across the board. He referenced Bunn's Sinestro last issue (whereas Vendetti practically ignored it), next issue is promising to explain Volthoom's history and how he's a Earth 3 spaceman turned lantern man turned tentacle monster turned ghost Palpatine.

And let's not forget best boy.

They tried to go the way of Marvel and make their line more indie and Tumblr pandering. Some of it worked some of it didn't. Superman lost most of his powers except slight super strength and started wearing jeans and a t-shirt with the logo, Gordon became Batman in a robot suit working for the police, the Green Lantern Corps disappeared and Hal became a space hobo with a misfit ship and crew, and they launched several books that would never last some of which like Omega Men were amazing. Unlike Marvel they realized within the year it was the wrong direction and did Rebirth.

That really was an obscure guy to being back. AI doubt I would have noticed if I hadn't reread Secret Origin a few weeks before

Green Lanterns is one of the few Rebirth books that didn't lose my interest within the first few issues

>doublefist a Blue and Green ring.

It sounds badass but I hope that never becomes a thing

>tfw Baz's sister will never become a Blue Lantern

Is his batman really bad? I like it more than Synder's.

Jess and Simon are alright, not only do they compliment each other well they also bring us back to "Street Level" GL/Silver age GL" stories since they're usually on earth fighting the likes of the phantom lantern, controllers, Mcree, etc rather that fighting Multiversal threats. Simon is a great lantern, though I feel like they're gonna make him into a blue lantern since he's being pushed as a support role with his feats ( calming Bleez, Waking up his brother in law from a coma) while Jess is probably one of my favorite next to Hal since of her unique position of being thrown into the role and being uncomfortable with it unlike the other earth lanterns who accepted being a GL immediately, she's also different because she has anxiety attacks but she still perseveres to fight the good fight. Hal is the man without fear but Jessica is the one who fights fear. I initially didnt like the GLs run since Red tower arc was kinda boring but its shaping up to be something great.

Is there a good reading order for Post N52 Lantern Universe?

I know it sounds like a newfag question but despite taking place throughout the entire damn universe the Lanterns always feel so interconnected so it feels like you need to get a little bit of everything but there's no way in hell I'd read 1-1-1-1 and then 2-2-2-2. But at the same time I don't wanna read a shitton of GLC and then come back to New Guardians or GL and find that I'm just retreading a bunch of shit and the future of the book is already spoiled by having read ahead.

At this point I'm leaning towards just grabbing one and saying fuck it and reading till the end. But then I don't even know when to start and when Sinestro or Larfleeze or any of the other minis come into play.

Complicated ass capeshit.

I haven't read his Batman only his Vision. I'm a bad judge of things though. I've pretty much gone through life able to enjoy literally anything. I'm a pretty soft critic and find the entertainment everywhere.

Suicide Squad is the first thing in a long time where I legitimately saw no redeeming value in something. But I also loved Synder Bats so there's that.

Post new52 is Rebirth. Are you asking for n52 GL order? Usually at the end of every issue theres a read the continuation in *insert book name here. iirc new52 GL starts connecting at #12, in rise of the third army.

It was a poorly advertised removal of the "New 52" banner from books. Most mainstay books had major odd status quo shifts (Space Hobo Hal, Batbunny, Superman "Truth", Bunn's Aquaman,) while there was a renewed emphasis on smaller diverse books/minis, which reach major critical and fan success (Omega Men, Midnighter, Prez, Starfire, Bizarro, All New Section 8, Black Canary).

While sales tanked due to Secret Wars occurring at the same time, DC managed to reclaim fan faith even when a large number of books were canceled due to the underlooked book quality. The Omega Men, was uncanceled at issue 7 after being promised 12 issues, after a day at Didio's decision.

That was the saving throw for DC, when I had almost dropped all my titles.

Back on the original topic, one of my other approved parts of GLs is the effort put into the art/expressions. At the same time Waid and Bendis waste page space copy/pasting beat panels (Champions, Civil War II, facial hair bros), GLs constantly makes use of changes in expression between panels. Not only that, the dual captions utilized in the book are fitting to contrast Simon and Jessica's perspective. The fact that they were given little characterization before they were on the title allows Dogfucker to imprint character all over them.

>I haven't read his Batman only his Vision. I'm a bad judge of things though.
Well as I always say, if you enjoy something don't let Sup Forums change your opinion about it , different people, different taste user.

Read the main Geoff Johns Green Lanterns title. The Wrath of the First Lantern tie-ins are all the same premise/ending, so they can be skipped.
Baz is barely used after Geoff's run ends anyway.

Jessica/The Ring of Volthoom comes into play in Forever Evil and it's Justice League tie-ins filling out Power Ring's backstory, and the aftermath of the event. Jessica spends most of the time after her origin getting sidelined though (Amazo Virus, Darkseid War).

I am tired of human american lanterns

be the change you want to see

Unless I'm forgetting anything, for the core 4 you're pretty much good except for First Lantern, Lights Out, Uprising, and Godhead all of which reading lists are easily findable. Unless you want to go issue by issue, wait until after issue 41 of Green Lantern to start Sinestro, because there's a spoiler in Sinestro but they're otherwise unconnected. The GLC minis Lost Army and Edge of Oblivion go one after the other and start with that same spoiler so definitely want until after 41 for that. Omega Men after New Guardians ends. Larfleeze is completely unconnected from everything.

If it were up to me GL ends at #20.

Same as I said in OP I've been reading GLC primarily. Got so hype to see Soranik, Hannu, Isamot and some of the others even if they weren't used at all. There's so much variety I can't help but be disinterested when we're only focusing on humans at home.

Why's that, user?

maybe have it happen once during a major event

Because after 20 it Vendetti went on a rampage to destroy everything Johns did. Even the cover gives you sad Hal

To be fair didn't Johns kinda bring the house crashing down around him when he left? He sent Sinestro off to nobody knows where at the time, killed all the guardians and like 90% of the Corps.

He basically hit reset.

But still Venditti felt the need to kill the entire Blue Lantern Corps except Walker but have him lose his hope to add insult to injury, and completely retcon how the color spectrum works.

>it's okay when Johns change everything because I started with him and I spam cereal king mems

There, just saved us a long drawn out discussion.

Damn that's fucked up I'm gonna have to check it out now.

Well granted I haven't read it yet but if it's as radical as he's making it sound I can kinda understand. Johns is responsible for basically inventing the Green Lantern mythos as we know it today so to go and rewrite and destroy core tenets and important figures like that is kinda shitty.

He built on and added too, he didn't rip down what others had done before him. No matter what happens Saint Walker should not lose hope. That's the whole point. That was some edgelord shit that he pulled. And Johns never changed how the Lanterns worked, he just added more Corps. Meanwhile Venditti is trying to tell us it's not emotions that power the rings, but some unrenewable resource that exists outside the source wall. That shit didn't even make sense.

He also broke up Hal and Carol, made a 200 foot monster from the past universe kill the other corps because he has this theory that when all the light goes out so will the universe, that weird shape shifter war shit where it was revealed John was putting his dick in a shape shifter.

I digress Johns didnt "change" everything, he made the modern GL book

>it's not emotions that power the rings, but some unrenewable resource that exists outside the source wall

Surprised Johns is letting him pull that bullshit. Considering how much power he wields I figure he'd just tell him to fuck off.

It went away real quick. They never fixed it but don't bring it either. They still need the emotion to tap into it so if it's not mentioned it more or less seems the same.

They "fixed" it by Jim telling Hal to forget about the whole ordeal and just fight the good fight.

Look, I am not trying to argue with you. I already knew you would have justified everything because muh Johns.

Go on and start calling me a Kylefag since that's usually the next step in debating with people like you.

I guess there's no point in arguing with someone who goes YOURE JUST GONNA SAY MUH JOHNS AND CALL MY A KYLEFAG instead of just making a good argument nevertheless have a good one user.

I'm not saying you have to like Johns, but even apart from tearing down what he did Venditti's run was just boring.

>Is his batman really bad? I like it more than Synder's.

I love his Alfred and the current Batsuit. The way his Bats talks is kinda weird sometimes though. He kept saying Mister Thomas early on and it was driving me crazy. Bruce, as Batman no less, calling some kid Mr. Thomas was weird.

I think its because Duke is a guest at his manor thats why hes polite. I just wish Duke dies soon Batfamily is too big or goes back to being the leader of the Robin.

I'd say my main problem with the overall Green Lantern line post Johns is that it went from four very unique books to four books each about an earth Green Lantern and their support cast. Also I really wish we got to see more of the rainbow squad from early NG. That's a concept that ended way too soon.

Maybe I'm just not used to Batman using honorifics in general.

He gives the babes a Ms. but generally it's single names. Dick, Gordon, Clark, Tim, Barbara/Oracle. Even MR. Freeze he refrains from it.

No way Duke dies, he's Snyder's baby. Even if Snyder had the class to remove him the end of his story, remember what happened with Damian?

his eventual codename is Lark. I'm 200% convinced he's gotta switch to Joker's side

You'd think a book that focuses on all the different Lantern Corps would be a constant. There's so much potential there it's a waste to only involve them when it's used to further a Green's storyline.

the Batsuit was a design from Capullo
My main problem is that it feels kinda disjointed at times and some choices are kinda questionable

Yeah my bad I meant to specify that obviously the Batsuit doesn't have anything to do with him specifically I just really fucking love how it looks. The yellow it such a simple idea but it works so well.

King just needs to write a snarky Alfred book.

I heard his name was Lark from an user but was that confirmed, and what does the name Lark have to do with the Joker? Aint it a bird?

>was that confirmed,
one of the issues showed a 'not too distant future' where he was formally teamed up with Gotham Girl and going by Lark.

Lark is a kind of bird, yes, but it can also mean a joke or a prank. 'He's having a lark' you might say

Was also his name in one of Bruces future visions/nightmares in Snyder last arc alongside Harper as Bluebird.

I think it's been mentioned again recently in All-Star as well

Oh is that the one where he's wearing a robin suit with long hair? First time to hear Lark = Joke, thanks user for the info.

I'll reread it, thanks. I dont know how we got side tracked to talking about batman in a GL thread so to get back, what do you guys think of the current arc? Its shaping up to be good again, the bottle arc was pretty boring but since its going to be about Guy, Hal and Kyle book is picking up again.

His batman is not bad, but his GL stuffs (Darkseid war GL/Omega men) are super great. He even said that his favorate character is GL, and he want the title. Sadly, we got Venditti and Dogfucker, of course they're great recently, but I really want to read Tom King's GL ongoing title.

Posting because it is great

They could've put King on GL with Fernando Blanco on art... instead they kept Venditti on it and got Humphries for the other GL title..;

I enjoy them, both of them seem to be dealing with their issues at a decent pace.

and through the magic of Rebirth both are solid now.

Corps books could be better if they just made it about the corps and Remove John

This fucked me up the first time reading it.

I can't believe people still get mad at the gun. It's a cool character flaw/trait that actually leads to an internal struggle which is more than "I'm sad now and can't ring"

> My name is Hal Jordan. My Father cut the sky open.

Gets me every time.

Nah, but keep telling yourself that.

The End

Thanks senpai.

Have a cutie

>Hal became a space hobo with a misfit ship and crew
In what books was that. I think I would like to take a look

That was good as, sick art too especially this page .

Its #40 iirc of GL, its quite alright, not gonna lie I like it and I hope we see Virgo and Trapper soon.

Yeah I was hoping he'd keep the suit longer.

It wasn't wrong, you house style devouring shit eating zombie.

Nah, I'm a serious Halfag, but I think John needs to be in Corps book. Actually, I think if they make John into more "talanted, serious, but unfortunate leader" (of course in a funny way) type of a character, he could be so funny and cute. Just my think.

I was joking but you're right John needs to be written better but so far he's just a hard ass who hated all yellows, shit talked Soranik for 4 issues and keeps reminding us he was in the MARINES. Just give us a GL book DC.

>I'm 200% convinced he's gotta switch to Joker's side
Why the fuck would he do that when all the shit that's happened to him so far is the Joker's fault?