Disney, Rian Johnson plot new 'Star Wars' trilogy

ARE YOU BOYS READY FOR SOME MORE STAR WARS?

screendaily.com/news/disney-rian-johnson-plot-new-star-wars-trilogy/5124139.article

>Rian Johnson, whose Star Wars: The Last Jedi is set to open through Buena Vista on December 15, will create a new trilogy set in the Stars Wars universe and will write and direct the first installment.

>The Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger announced the news on Thursday (November 9), adding that the company also plans a live-action Star Wars series that will run on its upcoming streaming service.

>The platform is expected to launch at the end of 2019 and will initially cost “substantially” less than the $10.99 that Netflix subscribers pay, due to what will at first be a smaller inventory.

>Johnson and producing partner Ram Saimi will get to work on a live-action trilogy involving new characters and said in a statement: “We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi. Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”

>“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d_iSQ65ZDAE
disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/animal-kingdom/pandora-world-of-avatar/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>ARE YOU BOYS READY FOR SOME MORE STAR WARS?

I am actually.

Aw yiss. Motha fuckin Star Wars.

WARZ

>Ram Saimi

>Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology

>Ram Saimi

Is it Sam trying to distance himself from his white pride hero?

HO HO SMOKING IS GOOD FOR YOU

I see on that pic that Rian Johnson knows how to do the Hollywood signal. He might have the nose for business.

Ah, the Hollywood signal.

I just want it to end. There's no way we're getting any original content and it is just going to be original trilogy wanking isn't it? A live action Aphra trilogy wouldn't be too bad I guess but this really feels like we got monkey pawed with how we're constantly getting new Star Wars yet everything is glorifying the OT.

Too bad. This has guaranteed it will go till at least 2024. Probably longer.

20 films of MEMBAH LUKA, MEMBAH HAN, MEMBAH CHEWIE! TAI FIGHTERS! DEATH STAR! I MEMBER! MEMBER I AM YOUR FATHER! OOOHHH I MEMBAH!

I really hope this was George's plan the entire time to give a big middle finger to the OT fanbase who hated the prequels. It would be absolutely ironic if it was. Kind of like that scene from The Simpsons where Homer is forced to eat donuts in Hell.

I don't think George cares. He was tired of the films, sold the rights, and is busy living on his farm enjoying his money. I always thought the prequels got more hate than they deserved so I'm sad the new trilogy, which is far more lifeless, is the one getting the praise.

youtube.com/watch?v=d_iSQ65ZDAE

I just want an opportunity to link this classic video.

What's worse is that people are being conditioned to like the new trilogy because faux geek culture is BIG right now. People don't have an opinion on it since they don't want to be ostracized by their friends for disliking a popular brand IP, turning the movies into a social event that normalfags can brag about for likes on social media rather than creating something that was filled with life was probably the biggest mistake the new trilogy made. It's sad the only scene I genuinely enjoyed was the bread popping up in the microwave out of two and a half hours of new material.

That's why I beat them to the punch and made sure I don't have any friends before hating the movies. That'll show 'em.

When everybody is around and we're swinging for long bombs away, how do we come around to know "Man, this really is what it is for"?

>ram saimi

>faux geek culture is BIG right now
I really hate that trend. All these people care about is the next wave of Funko Pop figures. They don't give a shit about the characters, the stories, the lore.
When I saw all these people falling for the porgs, it scared the shit out of me. Don't they see that they're "fans" of something that doesn't look like it belongs in the SW universe?

What is even the appeal of Funko Pops? Just that they're cheap by figure standards? I find them so unappealing. They don't even have faces. Give me a Nendoroid any day. At least they're cute.

Hopefully Filoni takes charge of the TV show

Kyle, you need to get ready for tomorrow night's show. Stop shitposting

I wonder how well he'd do with live action. Hopefully he'd be able to make things a bit more mature too.

Inb4
>it's another boring Ahsoka episode

They are doing this to cover the shitshow at ESPN

tbf her stuff got better as it went along, my least favorite ones were the ones that focused on C3PO and R2D2

>Ram Saimi

I don't even like Star Wars that much at all. I can appreciate A New Hope because of the effects and stuff along with the nods to Kurosawa but I really don't enjoy anything in the series beyond that. Why does it also feel like Porgs were developed by Disney yes, men! while they weren't confident of it getting a popular movie without people instantly screaming Minions knock off? It feels like they wanted to have them gain traction and stuff first before deciding they weren't going to lose a lot of money from instantly putting them in their own movie, what's worse are the Star Wars "fans" are going to fucking love them and buy any and every Porg related shit because MUH GEEK CULTURE AND CHILDHOOD when they probably ridiculed anyone and everyone who mentioned they watched or like Star Wars before geek culture became mainstream.

Rian Johnson said that his trilogy will not be in any way connected to the current three

Folks, this is very good news. Disney just greenlit a whole trilogy for a director based on a movie that hasn't even come out yet. 8 is going to be kino as fuck if it made Disney look past only the quality of moneymaking

>The Last Jedi will be kino as fuck

Nope. It's just going to be an advertisement for a Porg standalone movie and eventually Porg cartoon while everyone forgets the content of The Last Jedi but look Porg merchandise everywhere. The only memorable things from eight are going to be Porgs and the fact it is Carrie Fisher's last movie.

This Disney shilling is getting out of hand

FUARK yaaaassss, yo!!!
Time for dem CUHRAYZEE lightsaber fights, some BASED characters like Uncle Poe, Rey, our guy Finn....
Dudes I am so heckin ready....

That's true, but it's important to note that Rian Johnson is only directing the first of the trilogy. So the rest may not be so great.

I'm unsure on Rian Johnson. Brothers Bloom was pretty good but Looper was decidedly "meh." I don't know what to expect from Last Jedi.

This could destroy disney.
TFA was huge but Rogue One had a big drop off.
I see barely any hype for The Last Jedi and I'm certain it will underperform.
They shouldn't jump the gun as people will get sick of all the Star Wars and they'll be turning their attention to other franchises
Like Avatar.

As soon as Mark Hamill is out of the series I'm done with Star Wars. I suspect he won't be sticking around for another trilogy.

To me it looks like the porgs were designed after Kathleen Kennedy saw a prototype of a random Funko Pop shit. It's bland. Nothing in the design says that it belongs in the SW universe.

> what's worse are the Star Wars "fans" are going to fucking love them and buy any and every Porg related shit because MUH GEEK CULTURE AND CHILDHOOD when they probably ridiculed anyone and everyone who mentioned they watched or like Star Wars before geek culture became mainstream
I agree with you also on that part. These fake geek guys and girls are the same that would be happy to bully a "real" geek or nerd who enjoyed Star Wars or Star Trek.
As much as I want Disney's Star Wars to die, I want to see the shit that they'll pull with the Solo movie. I'm willing to bet that they'll show "muh Kessel run" because it's in the pop culture even though any SW fan would know that the whole thing never happened, it was some made up bullshit from Han, desperate to get a job.

Avatar is already confirmed for four sequels, I'm not too worried about it.

Unlike Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill actually likes Star Wars. I don't think the trilogy will involve Luke at all but if it did I don't see why he wouldn't join up.

I'd be very surprised if the Han Solo movie does well at all but I guess normalfags who go and see it will be spouting "HAN SHOT FIRST" and "NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS" when the movie will come out. I love how Harrison Ford seems to be turning slowly and more slowly into Alec Guiness, seems like he wants fuck all to do with the new movies outside of TFA and it was a very smart move of him. Also really weird how Star Trek is basically invisible to modern faux nerds giving how they should love it since it preached current leftism a lot but I guess it is too much of a slow burn for them or they just watch the famous episodes.

Harrison Ford hated Star Wars long before the new movies came out. I was actually surprised he agreed to do it until I found out he died in TFA and then I was like "Oh, that's why."

>Harrison Ford seems to be turning slowly and more slowly into Alec Guiness
If there's one guy who is turning into Alec Guiness it's not Ford but Mark Hamill, that man got pissed off by the whole TFA thing with Abrams. I hope he'll talk about it one day (I know he tried to during a SW Celebration panel but got cut by Kennedy).
Ford is just an old guy who wants to play a character one more time, get the check and move out to do something else.

You know what's annoying? I think the whole reason they shafted him in TFA is because he's not as well known an actor as Ford and Fisher. After Star Wars he mostly stuck to voice acting (which I think is a shame because he was very handsome). Which means that they decided he was "expendable" compared to the others. Thing is, the majority of the genuine Star Wars fans love him so that just shows you they did it to market towards casual fans.

Oh I'm not worried, I'm ready for cameron to take down Disney 4 summers in a row

I cant fucking stand Star Wars anymore

>Unlike Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill actually likes Star Wars

Mark doesnt seem to like Nuwars or the direction it and his character are going

WHO'S RAM SAIMI

That's what I said. Mark Hamill likes Star Wars. Not whatever Disney is making.

Are you dumb? Disney literally owns Avatar.

Why do you think there is an entire theme park of the Avatar World in Disneyworld?

I hate how they downplayed Luke's actions and his journey as a character so it would fit with the "Force is Female™" agenda pushed by Kennedy. He went from being a young adult who became a hero in the galaxy to an old man forgotten from history.

W-what?

I somewhat agree, but what the hell do you mean forgotten? The search for Luke was a huge plot point in TFA. They treated him like this legendary figure who mysteriously vanished.

How was he forgotten from history though? Leia and the Resistance wanted him back desperately. The First Order was hunting him down. This was a big plot point. Even Rey who grew up on a world more isolated than Tatooine knew very well who he was and thought of him as a hero.

You'll get SW forever. The mouse will dangle the corpses of the OT cast along the new diverse actors to make people buy tickets. There is no escape.

So basically he's just making a trilogy of sci-fi films and using the "Star Wars" brand recognition to get people to go and see them.

I would actually chuckle if he does a prequel trilogy to the prequel trilogy. That would be some ultimate pottery.

Star Wars is gone user

At the same time that's also true with real heroes as well. There are those who stay almost as an anecdotal state, referenced now and then by their appearances in talk-shows and what not and then there are those who just slip away from publicity altogether,

disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/animal-kingdom/pandora-world-of-avatar/

>more star wars
Only if it will be about the Old Republic

CAMERON AND DISNEY

ONE AND THE SAME

The key event in the battle of the Death Star in A New Hope. The whole thing with the Force and its impact on his character was reduced to nothing because (retcon) the engineer who designed the Death Star fucked up the station on purpose and the plans were delievered by a strong young woman who happens to be the engineer's daughter.

The original trilogy was part of my childhood, as it was for many people. The succeeding movies however are just meh. I saw part of one or two of the prequel trilogy, and none of the following movies. The magic or charm, whatever you want to call it, isn't there.

>These fake geek guys and girls are the same that would be happy to bully a "real" geek or nerd who enjoyed Star Wars or Star Trek.

They already do. They call people haters for thinking TFA is a remake pile of shit, sexists for seeing MaRey Sue for the stereotype she is, or racists for saying they don't like Finn and Poe.

Thanks for you input, gramps.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The Rebels knew where to hit the station because of the plans (as they mention in ANH) but the shot was nearly impossible. It was all Luke. Nobody else could have made it without a million attempts.

Actually The Old Republic is still getting expansions and that's from the Legends canon. So there is still a last remnant of the old Star Wars alive out there.

This. If anything Rogue One addresses a plot hole from ANH of WHY the station was designed with such a critical flaw. But it was a very, very hard shot to make which is why Galen Erso was able to get away with sneaking in that flaw. Tons of people died in the Battle of Yavin just to enable Luke to make that shot.

Fucking Disney man. Kinda wish they never bought LucasFilm just so Star Wars would have never become this oversaturated

>but master Luke, I'm not afraid of non-whites
>[Flashbacks of Grandma Shmi getting raped by sand people]
>You will be, you will be...

There's not really any reason to hate Poe yet. He was so incredibly minor in TFA, which is annoying because Oscar Isaac is a great actor. I'm waiting for TLJ before I pass judgment on him.

>Sand People
>Non-white
Learn about Star Wars before you run your mouth, jackass.

>Learn about Star Wars before you run your mouth, jackass.

Sand people were primitive descendants of an advanced species whose planet was bombarded by ugly aliens until the planet turned to glass and later sand.

I can't wait for the diverse cast of everything but white men .... unless they're portraying bad guys

>Yfw the entire new trilogy is about Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru leading Tatooine's Too Tlux Tribe™ against those uppity sand people, culminating in their brutal rape/murder by the brown hordes while Luke is off with Obi-Wan and unable to defend them, setting the stage for a second new trilogy about Luke, who post-ROTJ discovered this horrific truth and went full American History X on the sand people and the (((intergalactic banking clan))) forces who encouraged their mass immigration to Tatooine in the first place, choosing to go off into seclusion after discovering the horrific truth in order to perfect the formula for Space Zyklon, far away from (((their))) influence

Sup Forums is quite literally the only site that I've ever seen mention porgs

Sand People aren't even a species, they're a culture. It's like referring to Texans as primitive descendants of an advanced species whose planet was bombarded by ugly aliens until the planet turned to glass and later sand.

This.

I'm actually kind of worried that Sup Forums has fallen for the memes so hard that someone can go on an insane rant like that and think what they're saying is even remotely correct.

They were a separate species. The only humans that joined them were Darth Krayt and his father from what I remember.

Cant wait for a new trilogy fully comprising of mary sue characters

Wait until his arc in IX is that he gets out of the resistance and returns home, but owes money to the hutts and in order to keep his family safe, reluctantly agrees to carry out a heist robbing a Toydarian junk shop with the help of his now-space neighbor, a mysterious figure known only as The Pilot™ (played by Ryan Gosling), which goes horribly wrong and gets him killed, leading to The Pilot going on a rampage to kill off the remaining criminal contacts and ultimately the Hutt crime lord himself, dying in the process, all in order to give Poe's family a chance at a normal life.

Driver doesn't die.

>Ryan Gosling in Star Wars
I don't think it would ever happen but I would actually watch it the moment it came out

>Star Wars: 2049
>"What do you do?"
>"I pilot."
Would watch.

fuck, digits confirm

SAY IT AIN'T SO SATAN.

>What is even the appeal of Funko Pops?
This has literally been bugging me since I first heard of them. The only reason I can think of someone being excited about them is that it's like a giant crossover of everything since it's a standardized look that has been applied to a multitude of different franchises. Still, it's a fucking dull, ugly look and basically a scheme to siphon money from the members of this disgusting mainstream nerd culture.

>Disney just greenlit a whole trilogy for a director based on a movie that hasn't even come out yet.
They did the same thing for The Mummy and look how well that turned out, shill.

>M-miss me yet?

Are you implying that that ISN'T what Texans are?

>Ram Saimi

No. I'm ready for Kino wars.

No. You're the fuck who made those prequels and special editions AND caused all of this.

The part where a mortally wounded Goose manages to muster the last bits of strength to strangle Rey to death amidst the rising waters in a crashed imperial Shuttle on the industrial outskirts of Coruscant would be absolute kino, desu.

RYAN GOSLING'S CHARACTER IN DRIVE DID NOT DIE, YOU IDIOT.

The salt is incredible. You will be getting SW movies for 20 more years and they will all make crazy $.

But he did in 2049 you mong