One night, Penguin caught a man cheating at cards and tortured him in front of the crowd...

>One night, Penguin caught a man cheating at cards and tortured him in front of the crowd. The man's friend retaliated by smashing a glass bottle apart and running the bottom deep into Cobblepot's left eye, which blinded him and giving him the appearance of always wearing a monocle. Penguin, having had his assailant blinded and thrown onto the Gotham Freeway at rush hour, sought the finest doctors to remove the glass, only to be told that the attempts to remove it would potentially kill him. Cobblepot eventually became content with it, and believed that it gave him a more "unique" look.

Why do people like these games again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rVgobcqJCBk
naughtymachinima.com/video/14253/studiofow-harley-s-horsies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because they're the closest thing to a Batman simulator that exists and it's fun to stealthily take out thugs and glide around the city

Why do people care about the fiction in video games again?

Because of this

I thought it was ok for Arkham City where all the criminals are forced into what is basically a slum so it's possible another thug could have done that to him and the lack of proper medical care meant he couldn't get it removed while in Arkham City. Making it permanent is retarded though, I'm pretty sure he'd die from infection before long and Penguin should have enough money to have it removed by a top notch doctor.

that first game was amazing and a rythm-esque fighting system was a great way to make Batman fighting a room full of thugs seem impactful and schematic without require a huge skill investment from the player
the games after that was severely diminishing returns

>working class English accent
>not being working class is integral to the character
>being a native Gothamite and not English is integral to the character

Its not a bad idea if you just go "he liked the way it looked so he had them sterilize it" instead of the "they couldn't remove it" part.

Like an insane Batman villain.

it's a small albeit completely ignored part of that mythos, sure those games are pandering but this is the least of its offenses.

Wouldnt sweat and shed skin cells build up inside that bottle over his eye and start rotting?

wouldn't it be possible to at least slice the visible part of it off so he just has it in his brain and not a fugly face?

If you need a noprize he's an idiot who thinks all British accents are fancy and he affects the toughest one he heard in a Guy Ritchie movie.

>and thrown onto the Gotham Freeway at rush hour,
...so, when it's slow and full of traffic?

...so, if Batman punched it, it would shatter?

The game's lore files already give an explanation. He was sent to boarding school, but everyone there hated him, so he hung out with the chavs and picked up their accent.

That's slack as fuck.

>Slack

Explain? Like not why it's slack, but what slack is.

Sorry, Aussie colloquialism.
"slack" is "lazy".

I Jamaica "slack" is like being dirty or raunchy

He grew to like it over time.

Huh, the more you know.

Is it fair to call the Arkham series the beginning of the end for Harley? That was the beginning of the juggalo Harley right?

Yeah, it's fair to say that. Arkham-Harley startedit then N52 followed trend

Pretty much, she would never have a conventional costume again

Why doesn't he get it surgically removed? One good punch to the left side of his face could be fatal with that bottle lodged in like that.

>Arleen Sorkin will never voice Harley again...

Why live Sup Forums?

Yeah, It's not like Arkham Penguin is the best equipped gang in the game... wait he was. He could have gone to the clinic and have it removed or smuggle in a top notch surgeon .

>the lack of proper medical care

Assuming the shock and massive blood loss didn't kill him and he somehow survived with his brain intact and functional enough, he'd still die of infection within two weeks.

>when I was a boy, my parents were murdered in front of me by a low-life thug after doing something incredibly stupid
>I vowed that day to become a crimefighter and beat up petty thugs by the dozen night after night while dressed in a suit I find oddly sensual to wear and surrounding myself with people who also like to wear animal-themed masks and leather, just like those parties papa used to throw
>from that day forward I dedicated my life to learning to mash A relentlessly, but I never put many skill points into anything until much later, because apparently you learn better if you learn everything in a single night of beating down waves of nearly-identical thugs with limited fighting skills

they should just make the next one a Wayne Manor tower defense with pay to win options

Wouldn't be an option.

kek

>diminishing returns
dont use terms like these if you dont know what they mean

That one vid of her fucking horses was only thing decent to come out of that game.

>End of the Arkham Knight reveal trailer
>"Preorder to get the Red Hood DLC"
>We're still supposed to wonder who Arkham Knight is

>Is it fair to call the Arkham series the beginning of the end for Harley?

that's how people call when a character becomes popular and the hipster autismo of some people can't handle it, right?

>People can get bullets and massive fucking pipes pulled out of their heads and easily survive if the healthcare is decent enough enough, and have been able to do so for quite a long time
>Pulling some shards of glass out of a guys eye socket could kill him, even with the "finest doctors" can't pull it off

>all those threads saying that Rocksteady couldn't be that stupid

I'm now going to refer to the Akham iteration of Penguin as "Bulletbeak Pengy".

More importantly, how did it get stuck in his eye with the bottom sticking out?
Did the guy try to stab him with the neck-end first?

>its our own original character.
>its a character everyone has heard of.
I'm still salty

Funny how that's literally the bottom of the bottle in his eye
How does that work? The entire fucking bottle is inside his head? Doesn't make sense since we can see his eye.

Because the gameplay, atmosphere and style is 10/10 despite the writing being lame.

He broke the bottle like your pic, but then he took the bottom that everyone forgets about and shoved THAT into penguin's eye

But that's just silly and would probably slice the shit out of your hand

Because they don't know any better. Only Asylum is decent- the rest are absolute shit.

they are the perfect amalgamation of all things batman
nothing has done it better

That's even dumber.
I love the Arkham series but the writing was always shit, except for Origins which ironically everyone hates for fair reasons.

A bit of an exaggeration.

it makes more sense than shoving an entire beer bottle through someone's head like thinks

Best Riddler though

You mean worst.

Not even his best arkham design, go away with that tropical mad scientist shit

>Goes full Saw on City, with very little actual riddles/puzzles to save people
>Becomes Fast and Furious by Knight
Nah, maybe if they were more puzzle centric I'd agree but most of the time it's just platforming and for Knight, driving missions.

Why is it always The Penguin that gets the gritty/edgy backstories nowadays? If it's not stuff like this, it's stuff like that one story about him driving some chef to suicide. Is a fat, gauche villain really so unappealing nowadays? Or are people still just cribbing from Burton's Penguin?

Yeah, but apparently because they couldn't remove it.

Like saying a character who wears orange only did so because the store didn't have yellow.

No, I mean best.
youtube.com/watch?v=rVgobcqJCBk

>Not even his best arkham design, go away with that tropical mad scientist shit
It's perfect for a spin-off where he goes legit, becomes a P.I. and solves mysteries in Oahu, though.

I think it's when they diluted her and ruined the whole "costume sex appeal" aspect..

Who the hell holds a bottle from this end?

You can literally map his mental deterioration through the four games.
He starts out suave and cocksure, with a big, elaborate plan. Over the next two games he just gets more and more petty, focusing solely on proving he's smarter than Batman with a trivial treasure hunt. By Knight, he's been beaten and humiliated so thoroughly that he's literally living in the sewers, trying to prove that driving fast somehow makes him smarter than Batman. He's a broken man, and it's funny as hell to see him come apart. His half-assed costume is a perfect visual metaphor (and I just love that shirt)
Honestly, he might have the most complete character arc out of anyone in these games.

Huh, yeah looking at it like that it does sound pretty neat.

But my complaint is that his missions still tended to be very weak, especially in Knight where you get real tired of the Batmobile real fast.

i liked that he got more unhinged as the games went on

got a link?

I think it's because most people perceive Penguin as one of Batman's sillier rogues, so they try to make him threatening and edgy.

user, the bottle to the eye thing happened well before Arkham City. It literally says in the OP he sought the finest doctors to fix it.

>Aussie
ReEEEEEE

By the end of the Catwoman's Revenge DLC he's a completely broken man.

it would be extremely painful

Yeah. I watched my roommate have to "solve" all 2 hundred and some "riddles" that seemed to be mostly breaking certain objects and then finding trophies. He was a broken man by the end.

naughtymachinima.com/video/14253/studiofow-harley-s-horsies

I'll give you that the Batmobile was overused. But if you know what you're doing those segments at least go by quickly.
But the tedium of the collecting can sort of be excused. The Riddler is never really shown as anything more than an annoyance to anyone, and why is that? Because the best he can come up with is a treasure hunt. Making sure his sidequest annoys both you and Batman is a neat way to get you angry with a character and thus, more motivated to beat him. Might have been unintentional, but it's a fun way to look at it. Plus it's rewarding to actually complete it and prove your "smarts"

Or maybe Rocksteady just got worse at making games.

Perfect depiction of the riddler then?

Remember when this used to be the slutty looking Harley? It's so modest compared to anything now.

>they should just make the next one a Wayne Manor tower defense
Would play that
>with pay to win options
Wouldn't pay that

Maybe you're overthinking it
And coming up with a better character arc than Rocksteady did

Even before the game's release, there was a huge influx of Ledger Joker fangirls going to cons with their own homemade Harley costumes that had a similar look. It would have probably happened with or without the Arkham games coincidentally having a Harley that looked the same as every single cosplayer.

While it might be a pretty good depiction of the Riddler, it's fucking godawful to play through.

>I vowed that day to become a crimefighter and beat up petty thugs by the dozen night after night while dressed in a suit I find oddly sensual to wear
If only Bruce had caught his father wearing his mother's lingerie and became frightened, instead of bats

>"Yes, father! I shall become mom!"

>He doesn't know about Womanman

>And thus was the birth of...

Why wouldent batmans biggest fear be guns?

Why didnt he become gunman?

seems fair

I complete fine giving Cobblepot the cockney accent, but the glass in his skull is too much. You dont really have to update the monocle, because Oswald is supposed to be a parody of high class society and old money. If you really need to tweak it, just give him a pair of glasses with a chain like the ones Teddy Roosevelt used to wear

That happened in one Elseworlds.

>Popularized her slutty outfits
>Popularized Tara Strong's complete misinterpretation of her voice and made it the new norm
>Popularized her being stupid without substance
>Probably directly influenced aspects of DCEU
...Yes.

That was Thomas, not Bruce, though.

Really? I thought Paladin was still Bruce.

is Paladin the one that baisically just looks and acts like The Shadow?

Yeah. But with a mask instead of a bandanna.

Oh so thats what it is. I thought he was wearing a large diamond but now I see the imprints that you have on the bottom glass bottles. That's actually a really neat design despite the goofy backstory for it.

I really like Arkham Knight's Manbat but how they handled the whole Jason Todd deal was just awful

Should've just said there were only two Robins and went for the Beyond ending

This is exactly what I thought too when I read that

Literally the safest possible situation to be on the road

Was this the first major time Harley wasn't wearing her classic outfit? Now dyed pigtails is her go-to.

>tfw I had to scroll down three times on Google to find a picture of classic Harl

Yeap. It was the first time the Harley went out of her classic costume.

Unless you count live action Birds of Prey Harley.

They held the bottle by the fucking bottom?

Does anyone?. I don't think anyone remembers that. It's like the shameful past that nobody wants to bring up