What COMIC is the worst offender for bolding/putting emphasis ON the wrong WORDS?

What COMIC is the worst offender for bolding/putting emphasis ON the wrong WORDS?

Pic probably unrelated I can't read the text from the thumb

Other urls found in this thread:

penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/10/21/unicology
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is this an edit

does he actually draw like this now

Yup.

It's not an edit. The art is that bad now.

I'm fairly certain this is an edit; but it's not like the actual nu-PA artstyle is much better
>Mike will never not have fallen for the tumblr art meme
>Jerry will never be off his meds ever again

>What COMIC is the worst offender for bolding/putting emphasis ON the wrong WORDS?

I love Adam Warren. But he's easily the worst offender for this. When I read his comics he's constantly adding emphasis in weird places that don't make sense to me. I've learned to ignore it, though.

>I'm fairly certain this is an edit;

It's not.

penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/10/21/unicology

jesus. At least it's not as bad as pic related.

>tumblr noses

Neals Adams' series have really weird font size differences.

I love present-day Neal Adams comics

they feel like Seinfeld but with Superman in how they talk and have the weirdest turns of phrases and pauses

>I'll show you mine, you show me yours
All of the homo!

The Walking Dead that shit got exhausting to read

>What COMIC is the worst offender for bolding/putting emphasis ON the wrong WORDS?
the worst OFFENDER is ALL-Star Batman and ROBIN.

Second place is every other work by Frank Miller.

>At least it's not as bad

Are you seriously saying this is not as bad as your example? Really?

Why does he draw Gabe's hair so fucking huge now?

He basically draws by wildly waving his hand around.

That's just for added emphasis, though. Nu-PA looks like my pic all of the time

Steven Universe

the fuck is wrong with his face?

So what's the sweet spot?

A reference.

Late 2001 is probably the best

2005-2009 was actually a pretty cool style.

2005 and forward are alright, peaking in 2008

I think anything between 2001 and 2008/9 was acceptable. Anything before and after is garbage.

2008 is probably the best

It really is interesting to see how the details accumulate, look at the top lip, and the eyes. That is really interesting.

2008 is the high point.

I love this.

2007, with special mention for 2010.

05'-06' is the peak of the bell curve. It's amazing how quickly the quality falls over time. How does skill regress over time? It should build up, not rise and fall.

I think he just lost restraint and started experimenting too much. He found a comfortable spot in the mid-late 00's but rather than stay there he kept trying to let his art "evolve" and it just ended up becoming this wild, bizarre garbage.

Oh god, he looks like the redhead girl from that one "giddyup" comic.

>even the DESCRIPTIONS are like THIS
Why?

Basically everything he did after like 2001 until 2010 was "ape StephenSilver as hard as possible" which is why almost every incidental character of the time looks like they came straight from Kim Possible. Mike would freely admit this but apparently enough exposure to other artists due to shit like Strip Search finally broke him of it and got him to find his own way, so I don't really begrudge him for it because he feels much happier about his own abilities, even though I personally preferred 05-10's artwork the most.

silly faces lol!!!

You can relax user, nobody is excusing this shit.

I agree with this.

There is a comic from the comic on the right that has the Penny Arcade guys in it and they STILL look better than the picture on the left.

For the fucking life of me I can't remember the name of it, but the characters were named after Valkyie Profile characters.

Okay so I haven't read this, but I have questions.

Why is Superman bending that bar?
What is Green Lantern doing here with his ring?
What is Elastic Man doing?
Why is Wonder Woman being a bitch? What does being men have to do with wanting to talk to Batman? Is she on her period?

Shit art aside, why is he using "special" facial expressions to emphasize when theres nothing to actually emphasize?

the answer to every question is 'because Frank Miller'

Why does tycho have a large growth next to his eye where faces are supposed to indent at those angles.

someone sent him a critique complaining of his characters making 'weird faces' so he doubled down every strip for three months.

I wish I was kidding.

2002, 2007, maaaybe 2010.

04/05
I'm partial to late 04

>What is Elastic Man doing?
>Elastic Man

Sorry, I meant Mr Fantastic

2010-2012 was the golden age of comic edit thread.

Gabe is supposed to look stupid, he's absurdly spouting off about unicorns. Don't cherrypick this strip as his art being bad.

>an odd intonation in his voice
>pointing at like the one word without anything suggesting different intonation

2005-2008.
Man, this is crazy. I first read the comic from 2001-2005 and hardly even noticed the changes. Looking back, it's like watching a childhood friend turn into a meth addict.

It is really sad. I watched his art improve so much year after year, but he fell off the fucking mountain hard about 4 years ago. In fact, it was just after Paint The Line that he lost his trajectory.

>took him 7 fucking years to draw a decent character for a webcomic

I thought OP's image was a strip from that webcomic when I first saw the thumbnail.

John K. said on his blog that you should never, ever draw the same face twice.
Mike took that statement at face value some years ago and since then he has simply run out of reasonable looking faces.

That's a really autistic thing to be concerned with.Who cares?

So what's this Gigantic game he's been on about recently? Is it any good?

I've said this before and I'll say it for all eternity: The downfall began when Gabe started giving himself wavy, uneven teeth.

I present to you the last strip in which both Gabe and Tycho are depicted with straight teeth. After this it was all wavy, all the time.

This. So much this.

Gabe discovering John K's blog and mistakenly taking in all of his advice without properly filtering out John's personal tastes and opinions was also what contributed to the downfall of the art style.

> it's a penis joke!

But...the words they bolded sound fine. Do you not know how to read?

They're turning into roleplayingamer

Even fucking Google knows it, do this search yourself if you think this is a shop

>Pic probably unrelated I can't read the text from the thumb

then fucking click the thumb and read the expanded picture you stain

>all of the time bro
I GET THAT SICK REFERENCE ID KEEBS HABBENIG

>Reading Comprehension: The Post

OP was saying he just picked a random comic to upload. That is what "pic unrelated" means. The "thumb" was the image thumbnail in his file browser when he was uploading it.

> actual writing and payoff without penis or retard joke

I guess his son going totally fucking mental broke him

Jesus christ, look at his ass

>I guess his son going totally fucking mental broke him
Wait, what?

>that art
These is why you don't let women ghostdraw for you.

Explain further.

>Reading Comprehension: The Post

OP was saying he just picked a random comic to upload. That is what "pic unrelated" means. The "thumb" was the image thumbnail in his file browser when he was uploading it.

It's another one of those MOBA/TPS hybrids.

Upper right reminds me of this

On one hand, yes. On the other, that era of his art just looks very bland, and very stiff, and very VERY very derivative of his buddy from PvP. As an artist myself I can understand why he's ended up drawing the way he does now because it just seems so much more fun to do. At the end of the day, if your work doesn't make YOU happy, the entire exercise is pointless.

Wait, roleplayinggamer is real? I always assumed it was like Hella Bob and Awesome Jeff or those fake Sonic sprite comics.

IS it good? I just watched footage. It doesn't look as garish as Battleborn

Is it on Steam?

Never played it myself. But no, it isn't on Steam.

>fake Sonic sprite comics
there are a ton of real sonic sprite comics.

It's a windows 10 exclusive i think

Plus half his word baloons are filled with censor blocks because he wants to swear but is too much if a pussy too

He's probably talking about LET'S HIT THOSE SHOWERS

WHY IS EVERY WORD IN CAPITALS IN COMICS

Clarity.