Image Week 4 Storytime: Saga

25 years ago a bunch of Marvel artists left the Big Two and decided to form their company, with blackjack and hookers. This company would eventually become the closest to a third competitor for DC and Marvel (lol) and the best known creator-owned comic book company out there.

For our final week, we'll be looking at modern Image, an age of superstar writers, popular artists, and... movie/TV pitches?

First up is the love story that took the world by storm, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples' Saga

Starting early today because I have the time.

Ah Saga I both love and hate you so much....I mostly like the series but man I hate how every cluttered the cast got and BKV issues of trying to be shocking makes me exhausted. Still I check it out so it must be doing something right.

I feel the exact same way. It's funny because I don't even like the universe of Saga, I think it's very poorly thought out, yet I still read this shit every time it comes out. Guess it really is a comic book reader's favorite soap opera.

ah yiss, space magic cold war.
dont know why this isn't more popular

You serious? It's Image's second best selling book, right behind TWD.

but i don't know another person who reads it.
and isnt TWD like actually 500times more popular.

Eh, maybe it's just unpopular at your LCS, just look at the letters page every month, TONS of people read it.
>and isnt TWD like actually 500times more popular.
Sure, but that's because it's got a TV show. Imagine if Saga had one, how much it would sell.

ah reminds me that The Will is textbook sociopath, cares more about animals than people. and is apparently a FUCKING MONSTER. cant wait for whatever he does to get that title

In my comic shop it is loved but no one really seem to actually discuss it just that it is amazing. Or Lying Cat memes. I've also got looks when I didn't' call it the best book....at the time I said More Than MeetsI still think that. it handed all the LGBTwhaterever themes a whole lot better than saga and actually built up a universe with consistent concepts...based on toy robots I really wish BKV would just not introduce characters to kill them, it doesn't make it memorable if they die before we ever can care about them.

Maybe Hazel just hates fat people.

Fiona seems to go out of her way to have him covered in the blood of his enemies early on, cant wait till he gets back to that.

lol reminds me of the list of new names they gave him.
my fave was The Wont

OK, that made me smirk.

i dont believe the universe saga is in is particularly inconsistent. and BKV wrote for LOST and you can really tell how he spends the characters!

Esperanto translations, in case anyone cares
>High Soldier Marko!
>Stop! I'm warning you, don't touch me
>You are pitiful!
It literally means "worthy of compassion" which is probably not the tone he was going for. (I'm pretty sure BKV just used Google translate for all of this and it shows)

Thanks, it's appreciated.

OP, are you storytiming all 40whatever issues or are you just doing an Image sampler all this week? I haven't caught any of your other threads so just curious

>Wither
(I'd have gone with Velku to make it a command though)

Only the first arc, as always.

Has BKV or Staples said how long they intend for this book to run?
It's starting to lose its charm, but I'd put up with the random dicks and trivial character shock deaths if I knew there was an actual endgame we're headed to

All I know it's that BKV said it's longer than any series he has written before, so at least 60+ issues I think.

Man what happened to this comic? Is it still going on? I feel like no one talks about it anymore

Is he just trying to avoid writing an ending because he knows he sucks at them?

it got lost in its own bloat and insistence on shock value. Everyone became unlikeable, and the story doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Or at least that's how it was when I dropped it, about a year's worth of issues ago.

That's sort of what it feels like right now. I mean the story's kind of naturally where it feels it should be at, but you can still tell he's dragging his feet a bit.

Probably

> the story doesn't seem to go anywhere
There have been some neato moments, but this is the main thing.
When Saga started, it was Marko and Alana with their hybrid kid on the run from both sides of the war.
42 issues later, it's Marko and Alana with their hybrid kid on the run from both sides of the war.

Fiona Staples art is so goddamn nice to look at.
That and Hazel's narration really are the saving graces to this tumblr bait of a book.

Fuck yes, best character