Why doesn't Marvel/DC make "What if" comics any more

why doesn't Marvel/DC make "What if" comics any more

Isn't DC putting out those Earth One books?

Wasn't that what Gwenpool was?

what are THOOOOOOOOSSSSSEEEEEEEE

DC stopped doing Elseworlds because every story was a slight change on Batman or Superman origins. Like the last one I think was about the entire El family escaping to Earth rather than just Clark.

However they still do non-canon stories.

Gwenpool is canon.

Once every blue moon, yeah. And they're not exactly great.

It would be if the question was, "What if Gwen Stacy had Deadpool's powers"

Because they decided to go full retard on their main continuity instead.

I feel like what if's are a good excuse to try out new or weird ideas without fucking up any of the main canon of the comics, and if they get popular enough then I guess they can just be their own thing.

Because everything they put out is stupid enough to be a what if.

A) they weren't selling

and

2)they were deeply offensive

most of the marvel what if?s are just writer/editorial circle jerks showing how cannon is far better than any alternate outcome

Same reason they're not doing limited series any more.
Okay, they do, but these mostly start out as ongoings and then become limited series because of poor sells. I miss the times when we could get a random "Spider Man And Wolverine Against Some Terrible Fucktard" limited series every couple of years.

>most of the marvel what if?s are
attempts at being edgy and killing off as many characters as you can here because you can't do it in canon

I'm still mad What If: AvX was such a waste of potential.

She doesnt

Renew your wows

Also she is canon at this point.

Honestly my dream scenario is that DC has Morrison write Multiversity 2, and in it he establishes that infinite parallel worlds are a thing again. DC then uses that to springboard one or two projects per year of Elseworlds using the "Tales from the Multiverse" branding

Editors just use What if Stories to show "See? This is why what happened in 616 is better than other options.' AvX What If? It had the entire planet killed so Wolverine and Jean Grey get to be Adam and Eve, even though Wolverine started the cascading effect to cause the end of the world in the first place!

The only What If I saw with a happy ending was Steve not being a dick with the handshake during Civil War and then all the heroes unite, but that What If was solely done to make Tony Stark feel like shit.

Multiversity Too is already happening, well it's been announced at least. Who knows how long until it actually comes out

I have a strong feeling that just gets rebranded as Flash Earth One.

Too bad, you're gonna get your legacy characters and you're going to like them.

Forget that, give me Flash: Earth Thirty-six

Because the What Ifs were only interesting because Marvel had decades of continuity that wasn't retarded until the original Secret Wars

Now every other story arc is basically a What If

You're thinking of Spider-Gwen, but she crosses over into the main universe so much is easier to think of her universe as just another neighborhood in 616 New York

>they were deeply offensive
Post examples

I always wanted a What If Series of Norman Osborn still in charge of SHIELD. They could have done shit like "How would he handle an alien invasion on his watch"

*rolls eyes*

I'm not here to educate you, look it up for yourself

Those aren't what if though.

Not him, but you are discussing an idea of a type of comic from two different companies with a shit ton of different stories.

Why make up wild what if's when you can do everything in cannon.

We don't need an alternate title for crazy what if's, if we just make then cannon to start and then figure out how to recon the train wreck later.

Because they're going to become true anywas so why bother asking what if

They're elseworld.
Elseworld is What If.

Hell Future's End event was basically a "What If 5years from now this stuff happened".

How long ago were Punisher/Deapool destroy the marvel universe stories?

Also I feel like Marvel Zombies is still a thing.

And DC has all them crossover stories like with Star Trek and TMNT and hell Looney Tunes soon enough.

What about the universe where Tony is a woman and marries Steve, preventing the Civil War?

the last one I read was "What if the GOTG captured Thanos during Infinity?"

and it was just a tall tale being recounted by a drunk Rocket

She was always canon.

Marvel still does "What If" limited series for big events (the last one being the Infinity event). I suspect in the not too distant future we will get a "What If Civil War II" because there was a "What If" one-shot for the original Civil War.