Which is the definitive portrayal of Superman and which is the better movie?

which is the definitive portrayal of Superman and which is the better movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6ohreiBenzM
youtu.be/EngKxF3Cqh4
youtube.com/watch?v=9FadBhbcV9c
youtube.com/watch?v=DQDiQoQ8oxE
youtube.com/watch?v=YOCyFQSGst8
youtu.be/6Ykt4GD7jtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=meVnJzHDziU
reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/79zukh/opinion_john_williams_superman_theme_is_dated
youtube.com/watch?v=_uEvaSVnI7A
youtube.com/watch?v=dHZEyuhr_Wo&index=8&t&list=PLkfgSWxdcygkTnru61QDa5PI8t4K41eSP
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

John Williams
youtu.be/6ohreiBenzM

or

Han Zimmer?
youtu.be/EngKxF3Cqh4

Reeves portrayed the character better but MoS had some awesome moments

In audiences eyes the definitive version is Reeves of course.
However comparing them is nonsensical because they are going to polar opposite tones & style, grading Mos against is unfair because such is a metric it never intended to meet.

You can still judge them as films. Which accomplishes its goals the best and works as a complete package? Plus, narrative-wise, they cover similar grounds.

Imo, Man of Steel spends too much time trying not to be Reeves that it doesn't really define itself and its far too bloated for its own good. Although I appreciate its effort to tell a grounded Superman story.

obv Reeves

If you speak with my dad (or over 60+old people) they will say its Christopher Reeves. To me its Cavill. It's probably generational.

Has any other actor or stress defined a character like Reeves did for Superman?

Superman may be the only true capekino.

>Reeves

Lex and Otis kill it for me.

>Not enjoying the incomparable Gene Hackman
Imagine this villain team-up
youtube.com/watch?v=9FadBhbcV9c
youtube.com/watch?v=DQDiQoQ8oxE

There are a handful of them but superman is definitely number 1 on the list

I was also toasting in the Keanu Reeves bread and probably the beer makes the magic...will I ever be forgiven?

Smoking weed makes me post grammatical errors in /trek/ threads. Those guys don't let up.

Reeve had a lot more material to work with. Cavill did not have a lot of agency in the MoS (intentionally because he's supposed to be a wanderer until he meets Jor-el). I personally like it when the Kents have a much bigger impact on the personality of Clark than Jor-el. One scene that stuck out to me in MoS was Clark returning home and telling Ma Kent about his real parents. It just felt a little cold to me given how he spent most of his life with the Kents and he doesn't follow up with how much he's appreciated what they've done for him.

Reeve is the big blue scout. Cavill (so far) is the Superman who struggles with his place in the world, but keeps getting his screentime cut for other characters.

You feel like Clark was disrespecting of his (Kent) parents in that scene?

It felt wrong. Maybe I watch too many feel-good movies and TV, but I expected Clark to comfort her after he said what he did. Maybe I misinterpreted what Diane Lane was doing, but she looked a little hurt. Like Clark wasn't going to come back or he was going to change from the person she and Jonathan raised him to be.

youtube.com/watch?v=YOCyFQSGst8

Reeves is Superman. But I'd rather watch MoS on any given day.

But look at 2:08 Clark understand his mom fears and react (and console her). I understand what you're saying btw (he looks cold in the begining) but if you pick the whole scene its completely understandable. I mean, I had a moment of my life with my mom where i tought "maybe I should have hug her 5 min ago...whatever". Are you a female or a post 1995 born? (males born after 1992-1995 are way more sensible to these thing than us born before...at least from my experience)

Superman was phenomenal but it hasn't aged well. The music and acting are all still good though. Granted, Man of Steel is also shit and won't age well either. At least Superman was good once.

Williams, though Man of Steel was honestly one of Zimmer's better tracks

92. Raised mostly around females so I was forced to read minor reactions with more gravitas. Dad was always working, so eh.

>Superman was phenomenal but it hasn't aged well.
I think it holds up remarkably well. The first two acts are fantastic filmmaking, especially everything set in Krypton and Smallville, and the only thing holding it back from being a masterpiece is its weak third act. The film stumbles after the Superman montage and Lois Lane interview.

The justice league we should have had.

>best parts of the 1978 Superman are the scenes without Superman

Hackman was satisfying villain. Better than the mediocrity Hollywood puts out today.

Yes for the most part. The early Superman scenes were great though.
youtu.be/6Ykt4GD7jtQ

>youtube.com/watch?v=meVnJzHDziU
You can never beat this. God I miss Snyder

Visuals look great, I can admit that. The wonders of modern effects. Now imagine that with an actual character and the John Williams score.

The Donner films are wonderful, Reeve does a fantastic job conveying the contrast between classic Supes and classic Clark, but Man if Steel is better in terms of themes and story. Far, far better.

The original will always be the best, just because of what it historically meant for superhero film. MoS was just a cashgrab in retrospect even if the creators had good intentions in mind.

"you will belive a man can fly"

>but Man if Steel is better in terms of themes and story. Far, far better.
How? Man of Steel was a mess. It's the first two Reeves films combined with the codex macguffin added in, all of this at the cost of the characters. Snyder completely dropped the ball on the characters. Don't forget Lois Lane magically appearing wherever the plot demands or the convoluted opening on Krypton. Or how the film expects you to care about Superman killing Zod without ever setting up that he doesn't kill. Actually they don't set up too much of anything about his character.

John Williams score wouldn't fit.

In my opinion it perfectly coexist with each other. Some parts of Superman the Movie are better (Pa Kent's death in Superman for example, even though I don't hate MoS death, more supermanship), but some parts in MoS are better (Clark doesn't go in Fortress of Solitude were he spent literally 10 years of pure autism, instead he does answer-seeking wandering, seeing hardcore chad jobs, hiding his face and identity, while helping people occasionally, sometimes he can be also angry and can do things out of revenge via damaging stuff although always constricting himself from harm actual people, I liked that).

Stop roasting us, please.

>t.born in 1995

>Or how the film expects you to care about Superman killing Zod without ever setting up that he doesn't kill.

This is stupid.

Imagine going back to Reddlt

in a sense Superman is responsible for humanity's dismay in MoS since he's responsible for Zod's arrival in the first place

It's just one of those films I really want to like but simply can't, although Cavill was a good cast

this.

If every character is a cardboard cutout who teleports around the world to forward the plot but without having any defining traits.

It's quite mind boogling in the end when were supposed to care about random secretary being trapped under the rubble.

also
>dicksplash
>what if I need to tinkle

That's pretty much every Superman plot ever, though. He's always the one responsible for attracting the evil aliens.

Now that the dust has settled...

Reeves is iconic but Cavill could reach that level given the right material
Time will tell
Between the movies they are about the same quality wise but original has a way better Superman

It was an awful fucking costume.

I hate everything about this movie, specially the fact that it turned Superman into a rapist and deadbeat dad.

Donner's take defined a generation and remains one of the best superhero films out there.

Snyder's attempt was admirable albeit bad but in the long run it's simply not gonna stand the test of timet especially with the current capeshit climate.

That’s in every Superman movie though. MoS just throws in surface level things to look deeper than it is but it’s the type of stuff that only edgy teens would think is smart and anybody older would feel insulted by. Like the random babies-first-philosophy quotes during the Smallville fight. Good Death is its own reward, evolution always wins etc.

(Despite the Kryptonian method being the antithesis of evolution, but Goyer is about 14 years old and just watched Fight Club for the first time)

Reeves. There is no other.

>Reeves
Jesus Christ.

"Evolution always wins but space jesus is stronger"
yeah Zack we get it

>>but Man if Steel is better in terms of themes and story. Far, far better.
>How? Man of Steel was a mess. It's the first two Reeves films combined with the codex macguffin added in, all of this at the cost of the characters. Snyder completely dropped the ball on the characters. Don't forget Lois Lane magically appearing wherever the plot demands or the convoluted opening on Krypton. Or how the film expects you to care about Superman killing Zod without ever setting up that he doesn't kill. Actually they don't set up too much of anything about his character.

Imagine being that much autistic.

Also movie explicitly showed how Clark in his flashbacks restricted himself from punching anyone, even when confronted truck driver (unlike Reeve's one) he rekted his truck instead of a man himself. How else movie should say that he doesn't kill (or more like admire in general Life) so you can understand? By loudly saying it like in Nolan's Batman movies?

Also Lois doesn't "magically appearing whenever plot demands". She was first journalist to open interesting report on revealing Clark's secret via connecting all dots he left for all those years of wandering and occasionally saving people, so her name was connected with him, literally on TV. That's why she was then grabbed by the feds and then grabbed by Faora to extract her memories, anything she knew about Clark, to find Codex (to place DNA seeds in empty eggs), then on their ship she met with hologram of Jor El who told her how to rebuild Kal's baby ship into phantom zone bomb, so she went onto ship with army to help them with it. There is literally nothing "magical" about her appearance, maybe slight synchronicity for her to appear on the same show place as Clark, but that's it.

>synchronicity

Even that is part of the minor theme of the movie where Superman and Lois desire to be there for one another is what helps them get out of problems throughout the entire movie, something that doesn't happen with Zod and his crew, because they're a bunch of sexless fucks.

Man of Steel is better in every way. I don't have a bias against oldness though. I like Burton's 2 movies over Nolan's shit.

Also why Jor-El was able to give a good fight to Zod.

>even when confronted truck driver (unlike Reeve's one) he rekted his truck instead of a man himself.
I like how liberals had an issue with that as if it's peachy for a big rig driver to get wasted and drive into innocents.

If nothing else Lois Lane being everywhere is definitely a contrivance. Superman was on the ship already. Why did Faora need to extract her memories? It was too much.

She knew of Superman's nature before anyone else.

Maybe in the sequel?

This

Compare the way Reeves Superman deals with difficult situations, to Cavill Superman. The latter just perpetually looks like he's pissed off, or taking a very difficult shit. Reeves Superman is credible as the son of alien nobility.

Superman 1 has better music, better acting and the story is told much better.

The only positive thing I could say for MOS is that it had better action until the climax.

>It's quite mind boogling in the end when were supposed to care about random secretary being trapped under the rubble.

Oh, you could have saved us a lot of trouble by telling us about your horrible ass hamburgers up front.

>Reeves
>Reeves

John Williams' Krypton theme still inspires me. It really sounds like an advanced, but nonetheless doomed world blinded by it's own vanity.
>If it were not for vanity, why, at this very moment, I could embrace you in my arms
Snyder can't compete.

The acting is one of my biggest issues with Snyder films. Apart from a few exceptions(Rorschach, Manhattan and Bats) every other performance just seems forced and awkward.

No. No, you don't.

The one with First Flight and Day of the Dead.

Whatever helps you sleep at night friend

Is Lex Luthor a saint, too? I'd show you four other examples of that, but I'm on mobile right now. I could do the same with similar iconography surrounding the Batman.

Let's see what true kino connoisseurs think

reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/79zukh/opinion_john_williams_superman_theme_is_dated

>reddit
>shit opinion
It checks out.

Where do you think most of these Snyder shitters are from?

He’s built to be the center of attention. This is his room, his space and Clark/Bruce are sidelines here in his world.

This one is really not hard. Just center Lex to the room’s centrepiece when he interrupts their conversation, visually putting them in their place.

Reeves.

F

Say what you want about this movie but my god the score is GOAT.

youtube.com/watch?v=_uEvaSVnI7A

youtube.com/watch?v=dHZEyuhr_Wo&index=8&t&list=PLkfgSWxdcygkTnru61QDa5PI8t4K41eSP
That score has some of the comfiest tracks ever composed. The high energy tracks aren't as good but the softer ones are indeed GOAT

Check out the scenes where he's talking to Senator Finch. I especially like the one right before the bombing.