Clip from "Belle" from the live action adaptation of Disney's Beauty and the Beast

Clip from "Belle" from the live action adaptation of Disney's Beauty and the Beast

youtube.com/watch?v=nT1VQkTTT7M

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i3wJjLXjySg
youtu.be/AJzds6fRfjM
youtu.be/zO2uDjmYpkM?t=92
originaltrilogy.com/topic/RELEASEDTheSwordInTheStoneOpenMatteOriginalTheatricalMono1963MultiaudioMultisubs1080pBDremuxx264LPCMAC3Shadoe/id/46166
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In a word: Soulless.

Emma Watson just doesn't exude the life that the original Belle had. Her singing is abysmal, and she just looks bored. Her response to the amnesiac seems delayed, as if she forgot her line, and it's delivered such that she comes across as holier-than-thou for some reason. Without her being distracted by a book, the peoples' comments on her disposition make no sense. Plus, again, not being distracted, she's coming off as a cunt by stepping all over the laundry pool wall, getting in those kids' way. There's literally no reason for her to be up there. No path, no stepping stones from where she came from, nothing. She made a conscious decision to get in their way.

Also, why is she going through the laundry pool to return a book anyway? Wouldn't the library or book store be in the market district of the town? I'd almost think it was because the laundry pool might be in the center of town, but looking in the background, there's nothing surrounding that area. She's traipsing through there for no fucking reason.

This inexplicably reminds me of the Popeye musical more than anything else.

Unless there's a secret twist that the Prince and Gaston end up bro'ing it out as they hunt crazy witches and enchantresses down in the french wilderness, I don't see much to care for.

Pretty much this . Everything feels off. Compare it to the original version.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovhdfa1sUoM

Belle wants more out of her life, but she still clearly has a great affection and love for her "little town", she knows all the faces, she's friends with most of the townsfolk, and even though they all think her odd they clearly have a great affection towards her as well. Emma just seems very apathetic towards the people she encounters.

There's also the matter of the book. In the animated version she can barely take her eyes away from the pages, even though she's probably read this same book a half a dozen times. Her random run-ins with the townsfolk are a result of her being distracted by the book and being less concerned with where she's going then what happens on the next page. She also can't help but talk about it to everyone she runs into, gushing about the far off exciting places and fanciful people to the baker and so forth.

>OH! I just finished the most WONDERFUL story! About a beanstalk! And an ogre! And-
>-that's nice, MARIE! THE BAGUETTES!

>I'm going to return this book, it's about two lovers in fair Verona
>DURR SOUNDS BORING

The townsfolk in the animated version aren't retarded, they've just clearly got their own shit going on and can't be bothered getting lost in a story. (also BOY are they being on the fucking nose with the Romeo and Juliet reference)

Belle wanders around dazed and distracted, Emma stomps through town like a stuck up douche. Belle is quirky, she's a nerd, her frustration comes from how desperate she is to find someone she can relate to, who appreciates books the way she does. Emma *acts* quirky, she *acts* like what someone who's not a nerd would think a nerd acts like, she comes across snobby, not frustrated.

this is so pointless...

1. They can't properly pronounce the only French word they were kindly asked to pronounce.
2. Why would anyone watch this? Who asked for this? There's a good and well-known animated film, one of the Disney classics, and everything I see about this adaptation seems like it's just a retelling of the same fucking story with everything that was in the previous version.

So was Jungle Book, but it made money so they're going to keep doing them

Jungle Book was great though

>Monsieur John

God damn Frenchaboos with their honorifics

Why the fuck does this look so off in HD and in motion?

And they'll never stop

Mediocre and it completely fucked the ending.

Jungle Book was fine, but there wasn't a lot of life in the performances

Because most of the HD Disney releases just ran everything through a fucking photoshop filter. I wouldn't have posted it, but it was the first non-cam rip I found.

I won't even dare show you what they did to the Sword in the Stone.

General consensus is Disney screwed the pooch on the HD releases. Sup Forums's had this discussion a LOT.

I can't understand the hype. What the fuck??

Why did they pick a British girl to play a French character?

It's Disney.

They don't even have to TRY and they'll make a billion

Nostalgia combined with Downton Abbey man and Harry Potter girl

Granted John Carter and Lone Ranger bombed

Wut? Is that an actual movie too?

Because her songs are in English with an American accent and nobody's bold enough to change the songs to fit the timing for a French accent

She was born in Paris.

It looks like a parody. And I mean a cheap one. It looks like a sketch and I'm just waiting for someone to run in and sucker punch her or something.

It just seems off. Her singing isn't good and there's no character to anything. It just looks like a higher budget version of those shitty disney live action teen shows which I guess makes total sense.

>tfw Live action belle seems stiff and robotlike in her singing expression and Moana sems overly animated and like she's forcing her singing way too hard in the animation.

They need to switch their emoting levels.

I'm pretty sure Disney could do a 2 hour live screening of the CEOs of the company taking turns on a Taiwanese toddler while her mother begs viscerally in the background, before forcing two underage pregnant girls into a knife fight that only ends when one of them has eaten the others fetus and it'd make a billion.

I think it's fair to say that Warson can't help but come across as holier-than-thou by this point.
Also, know I'm going to get a lot of shit and muh Sup Forums for this but
>God damned diversity in Nobility-still-around-era-France
Sweet testicle fondling baboons does that twist my titties.
Diversity should exist to enrich The Story.
The Story should not exist to enrich Diversity.

It's the rule of Hollywood, any person who doesn't have an American accent has to have an English one (but only if they're good guys)

Looks fine to me, not amazing but not terrible.

What are you guys upset about? We all knew what it was gonna be. It's a remake, it looks like a remake, you were expecting something original?

I like it and I'll go see it when it comes out

I have a feeling this movie will range from god awful to middling at best but everyone will claim it's the greatest shit in the world similar to Jungle Book.

And that Beast design is still hideous

As a britbong I call bullshit, everyone knows we only get to play two characters; Villain or Ray Winston
And only Ray Winston gets to play Ray Winston.

>forcing two underage pregnant girls into a knife fight that only ends when one of them has eaten the others fetus
If I ever make a grotesque surreal black comedy animated film I'll be sure to use this. Thank you.

This.

wow this looks shit after they lazily ran it through those cheap filters.

You sir, are one sick fuck

Man a surreal black comedy film about a bunch of Wolf of Wallstreet style absurdly rich people just doing the most horrific shit would be amazing.

what the fuck is a presale? If they bought the ticket it's a sale. You can't pre pay for the thing, you've either paid or you haven't. Are cinema tickets really that expensive they're getting treated like game preorders? You drop $5 in advance to secure a $20 ticket to a fucking movie?

How does it feel to be so autism

You forgot bookish tech-guy/lore spouter my fine bongsman

>claiming to be a britbong
>doesn't know James Bond

3/10 try again. All we get is villains, bond, butlers and hopeless fop aristocrats.

I'm fairly certain most people just want to see the Gaston song and will leave the movie theater shortly after.

It's like reserved seating.

They pay for the ticket online in advance and when the movie comes out they go to a machine with their code and print out their ticket.

A clip is already out, dude doesn't have the bass

It's not autistic - a fucking grade schooler could understand why this live action version feels off.

The characters feel lifeless, the town doesn't have the same charm, the singing and line delivery feels phoned in.

Link it mate.

Everything in that scene looked like it was shot on a made for TV movie's set. Shit looked fucking cheap.

If people don't walk out of the fucking theater at this scene I'll lose all faith in humanity.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh4FMv6qfQM&spfreload=10

How does it feel to be so wrong

She's still doing that annoying fucking eyebrow thing.

Nice to see it's not the trainwreck I feared it would be, but I'm still not sure what this adaption is supposed to add to the animated version. Other than cash to Disney's pockets.

ouiaboos

Oh god... OH GOD...

I get where you're coming from, but the live action clip didn't even reach the part where she actually gets the book you mentioned.

Jesus Christ.
Did they intentionally choose the pastiest, least sexy looking Motherfucker that came to the audition for Gaston?
Him not being being raw, smouldering beefcake entirely defeats the point of the film! For fuck sake Disney, stop it!

Is... Is that what Gaston sounds like?
Is that what the guy playing Gaston sounds like?
Holy shit, how badly did Disney fuck this up? How do you get a guy to play 4-dozen-eggs-every-morning Gaston and not tell him to at least ATTEMPT the manliest Goddamn voice ever to grace this Earth?

Nevermind the fact everything so far LOOKS terrible, it sounds even worse.

We'll stop making them when you stop seeing them.

Get hype for Lion King!

>BOY are they being on the fucking nose with the Romeo and Juliet reference

Did you think the Jack and the Beanstalk reference was subtle?

>They pay for the ticket online

So it's just a typical sale then. Huh okay. thought it was something else from the name.

>Movie takes place in France
>Everyone is English

It's Les Mis all over again!

It's an alternative universe where the Brits won the 100 years war.

All Disney needs to do is slap their logo on their movies and it sells like hot cakes.

It actually looks pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=i3wJjLXjySg

Little bit, yeah.

Belle isn't obsessed with love and romance, she's obsessed with fanciful far-off places, magic, adventure, etc. That's why she finds Jack and the Beanstalk so enthralling.

Emma going nuts over Romeo and Juliet is about as subtle as a Michael Moore documentary.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Alice Through The Looking Glass, The BFG and Pete's Dragon.

Caring is autistic.

>Maleficent changed the story entirely
>Cinderella was a little more by-the-book, but at least it had some expansion on the animated movie, original material and character interactions. And original costume designs
>Jungle Book incorporated more from the original book and also changed the ending and thus the story's moral completely, for better or worse

So far, this looks like a shot-for-shot remake of the animated movie... except lacking much of the original's charm. is right, Emma Watson just seems bored. Gaston is nowhere near the magnificent bastard he should be in this clip.

>God damned diversity in Nobility-still-around-era-France

You can add diversity into this film in a way that still seems natural and reflects history. You can have Belle reading and discussing romantic far-off countries that the provincial townfolk don't know much about. You can have the beast's castle filled with exotic treasures and paintings of people his representatives met and traded with. You can have a huge ball celebrating the breaking of the prince's curse and possibly the subsequent wedding attended by foreign royalty from all over. If you really want to push it, you can have a foreign trader or traveler at the local village market.

What you shouldn't have is random ambiguously brown people living in a tiny provincial town in nobility-era France as though this is entirely normal.

If you want that so badly, you need to go Cinderella route and remove any reference to the setting as France and instead have it set in some random fantasy kingdom. And even then, it seems anachronistic purely because of the technological limitations of travel at the time.

>What you shouldn't have is random ambiguously brown people living in a tiny provincial town in nobility-era France as though this is entirely normal.

There were non-white people living in 18th century France like regular people. In fact they would be better off as a peasant in a tiny provincial town rather than nobility/wealthy (like the real like Dido Belle) because then they' would have been more restricted by social etiquette.

>Gaston's voice

i was cautiously optimistic about this movie but holy fuck NO

And still they keep their backs turned on traditional animation.

In like, Paris maybe. Port cities. Major trading posts. Not out in cowland.

Watson wasn't a good choice for it, look at her eyes, she has no passion she's just going through the motions, theres a smugness when she first appears she turns and its about her not about the baker but she's singing about him

Such a weak voice from such a big man its almost a parody in itself

The only big difference is the addition of three songs and making Belle more of the inventor because apparently the only way to get little girls into STEM is to slap a Disney Princess on it.

They really should have taken another approach to Emma's singing given how much it carries. At least the energy picks up when the town's people enter.

What actually struck me most in the original was the shot to shot composition.
The animated scene was very seamless. The camera basically follows Belle around town at a medium shot from different angles and feels very immersive. Your basically introduced to the enviroment she's singing about along with Belle herself.

The live-action film feels a lot more farcical. There's a lot of medium shots and random close ups. The focus is much more on Belle and the attitude towards her. Maybe it's intentional but it feels a lot more farcical.
However that's just the first of the scene so who knows how it goes after.

You'd be suprised.

They REALLY should have hired The Rock. He can pull off manly beefcake.

I liked the first 2 movies

This shit has more character and it's a YouTube parody.

youtu.be/AJzds6fRfjM

>that Gaston voice
WHY

Provide evidence, then.

fucking lul
i'd much rather watch this.

Reminder that Gaston barely did much.

Didn't realize BFG was Disney. Liked that one a lot.

Will we get Emma's beautiful milky toes?

>british actors

>"Be quiet lil' fool!"
This is great

Litterally just like the animated movie with less american accents

I guess this is what modern Disney it's about.

You can't make female characters stronger without make them condescending, snarky, and passive aggressive because God forbid accountability.

>In like, Paris maybe.
>maybe

There's no "maybe" about it. Non-white people existed in 18th century France. Paintings, contemporary letters and journals and descriptions, laws regarding blacks, etc. They didn't just magically appear in the 20th century.

There really wouldn't be extensive or easily accessible records of black people living in bumfuckcountryland because if they did, they probably didn't interact with anyone significant (thus making preservation of any letters or documents unlikely, same with white bumfuckcountry folk, and making digital access to such records that do exist highly unlikely) and weren't wealthy enough or living in a social circle where portraiture and other artistic endeavors were common. Like most "didn't really do anything noteworthy" French people, they existed but no1curred enough to record or preserve their existence. Were black people more likely to settle in Paris and major port cities? Sure. But a lot of that is practicality: people wealthy enough to have black servants (or who brought black slaves in for trips under 3 years) would want lodgings in major cities, freed black people would have more job opportunities in Paris and in port cities, and towards the years of the revolution the people who were advocating for an end to all forms of slavery in France and something closer to equal rights were congregated in Paris and major cities.

Anywho. It's not like Disney did this because muh historical accuracy. They did it because it doesn't hurt anyone to add diversity to a film set in vague timeline fantasy France.

The 30 minute played-all-day-every-day show at Disneyland has more energy and character: youtu.be/zO2uDjmYpkM?t=92

Well, I guess I should say it's Emma's Belle that's the problem. The ensemble in the movie clip are fine.

You actually have to give a shit to be in a play at Disney. I'd be willing to bet every single person on stage there wants to be there tenfold over Emma's desire to be in this remake beyond the acclaim.

>that attempted harmonization at the end
i'm dead

>I won't even dare show you what they did to the Sword in the Stone.
Oh fuck me I forgot about that.

You might want to look for this fan-compiled version

originaltrilogy.com/topic/RELEASEDTheSwordInTheStoneOpenMatteOriginalTheatricalMono1963MultiaudioMultisubs1080pBDremuxx264LPCMAC3Shadoe/id/46166

What the fuck is going on.
I'm 99% sure one of the three girls chasing Gaston is black, but then when the camera zooms in she turns white with blonde hair??

Fuckign what? Why would they do that?

That entire paragraph you just wasted your time typing is a detailed explanation refuting my point lol

There were probably no black people living in a small provincial village in France, fantasy or not. If there were any, it was nowhere near the percentage shown in this clip.

It hurts the people it's tokenizing and stripping of their history, to be honest. You want to add diversity, you do it with a character whose backstory makes sense and doesn't erase their actual history (like slavery, as (you) pointed out), not some anachronistic girl in the background. That just allows people to pretend the bad parts of history never existed.

what wa that?i cant hear you over this frozen merchandise!!

What makes it ananchronistic other than your feelings?

that's just america in general

MULAN WHEN

LITERALLY THE ONLY LIVE-ACTION REMAKE I GIVE A SHIT ABOUT