Why didn't comic superheroes stop the Holocaust?

Why didn't comic superheroes stop the Holocaust?

Did they have better things to do? I mean WW had the time to slaughter innocent German conscripts in WW1 but stopped there?

I think it had something to do with Hitler possessing the Spear of Destiny. Superheroes couldn't set foot in Germany while he had it.

This, Hitler has the Spear of Destiny so most heroes could only help out at home

Because fuck Muties.

Because superheroes can't stop things that didn't happen.

So why not help with the Pacific front?

Was the spear of destiny literally brought into the DC universe in a desperate attempt to answer OP's question?

What issue, what company?

I think it was supposed to be the only thing capable of harming the spectre

DC.

Marvel DID have their most prominent heroes fighting in WWII. Maybe you've heard of one of them before.

Basically.

Problem?

Aside from Cap, Bucky, Namore, Human Torch and Toro who else fought in WW2? Even just the Human Torch seemed to give the allies such an advantage they should have won the war sooner.

What if they did and the Holocaust still happened because there were also metahumans fighting on the Axis side as well?

>Aside from Cap, Bucky, Namore, Human Torch and Toro who else fought in WW2?
Who else was there at the time? Most of the big names in Marvel don't really show up until the post war atomic age and space race give them their powers.

I guess it was a excuse for "Why Doesn't the All-Star Squadron just wreck the shit out of everything?", specially since in the Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint continuity, Japan and Germany had access to super weapons and meta-humans.

DC
All-Star Squadron n°1 for the most "canon" (i.e. canon at the time) description of the events.

Because of that, all Super Heroes that were weak to magic or powerful magic users were useless on the Europian front for the most part, having to focus on the Japs instead (which is kind of overkill when you have all the heroes plus drafted Nippo-American meta-humans that either joined or got sent to internament camps, like Tsunami).

In the Europian front, weaker magic users and regular soldiers were used mostly.
Experimental shit like the Creature Commandos and the G.I. Robots were used, as well as the odd magic aided character, like Jeb Stuart from the Haunted Tank. But the real heroes were usually regular guys, like The Losers, Sgt. Rock, the Blackhawks, Grave Digger, Mademoiselle Marie and Alfred (Yes, that Alfred).

After the regular joes got through the Reich's defenses, The Unknown Soldier was able to assassinate Hitler and recover the Spear.

And this, ladies and gentelman, is why people were pissed at the New-52. This whole awesome thing I just told you, that could serve to make some awesome stories, never happend as of New-52.

Most of the Marvel stable wasn't invented until the 60's. The Invaders are what they had.

>This whole awesome thing I just told you, that could serve to make some awesome stories, never happend as of New-52.

It'll come back. Rebirth already seeded in the idea that the JSA did exist but everyone's forgotten them because Johnny Thunder wished it, to protect them from something

They were about to, but then they got their and realized that it was made up.

*Namor

Plus, the Nazis had all sorts of shit too, like robots, werewolves and whatever.
If you're gonna use the real world as a scenario for your stories, you gotta be faithful to the "source material".

I think "super powered" characters couldn't go to europe (ex: Superman) but non-powered "mystery men" types did go over there and fight.

Also I'd assume Hitler had his own Super Human guys on his side

As far as excuses go it's a decent one. It raises a whole heap of other questions but it's a stupid question to ask anyway

Superheroes do not interfere in war and politics. They generally stay out of it and help those in their city. Interfering in war means you are a tool of the government or going against the will of the people.

Maybe they should just do a complete overhaul/update to just what the fuck was going on during World War 2.

The jsa was a covert group.

I really liked the decades of lore and stories. It enriched the characters, and made the world feel more alive as opposed to the New 52. The New 52 felt really mechanical and inorganic; like it was more focused on brand synergy.

Union Jack and possibly the V-battalion were involved. It's possible the USA was working under the "we didn't have the intelligence to know it was happening" that they said about the holocaust in the real world.

>Also I'd assume Hitler had his own Super Human guys on his side
I'm surprised that excuse isn't used more often. Were there really that few memorable Axis-themed supervillains in the golden age?

Both the JSA and the Invaders didn't like them damn Jesus killin' Jews neither.

Two Human torches, Cap, Namor, chick Namor, Miss America (the marvel one) Venus, Wizzer and the chick flying brick forgot her name.

Namor and the torches mostly killed Japanese, Cap was with his unit in France and only occasionally dressed up as Cap to go rescue captured soldiers at night.

The rest mostly fought spies and secret Nazi robots back in the US. Apparently there were a shitload of Nazi spies and robots all over the US to keep the heroes busy. They even had fighter planes that turned into robots long before Transformers came along.

In DC superpowers just plain did not work within the borders of Japan and Germany. But there were a shitload of superpowered Nazis.

While it might seem hypocritical coming from someone in the USA, "Captain Nazi" is a ridiculous name.

In DC Comics, Hitler spanked the JSA most of the war with the Spear of Destiny.

In Marvel, the Invaders could only do so much.

>Powerlevels have been stacked in DC's favor since the very beginning

>WW2
they fought in it
>Holocaust
didn't happen

IIRC originally most JSA members served in the army without their costumes or powers.

The idea of them actually fighting in the war was not something invented until the 70's.

Also IIRC the extent of the Holocaust was not apparent to people outside of Germany or even to most citizens until the war had ended and the camps were found. I don't know if that's right, though.

Because heroes are the good guys OP.

Yeah. Most of Marvel's A-list characters are street level.

And Thor is the God of Jobbing. Dude can't even beat Ultron.

You know that "we would have words with thee" page? He gets his ass kicked a few panels later.

The Annihilaters are the closest thing Marvel has to a JLA-tier group. And they were only around for a single event.

Let's look at what the phone log actually says. Kept in the German Bundesarchiv under the signature NS 19/1438, Telefonnotiz Himmler v. 30.11.1941:

Verhaftung Dr. Jekelius (Arrest of Dr. Jekelius)

Angebl. Sohn Molotov; (Supposed son of Molotov)

Judentransport aus Berlin. (Jew-transport from Berlin.)

keine Liquidierung (no liquidation)

Hitler explicitly orders that no jews be 'liquidated'

The holocaust didn't happen

While Germany had the Spear of Destiny to control any superheroes that stepped foot in German controlled or occupied areas, Japan had the Holy Grail that would do the same thing for Japanese controlled or occupied areas.

I'm pretty sure the Human Torch personally killed Hitler himself.

Why would you have to explicitly inform someone NOT to murder a train full of Jews?

The idea that the Nazi's had the Spear of Destiny was first introduced to the DC Universe in Weird War Tales #50 and Roy Thomas just used it for his explanation as to why the Specter doesn't just raze Nazi Germany to the ground.

Why liquidate free workers? Kill the young and feeble, give the women to soldiers to boost morale, work the adults.

In DC continuity, the Axis did have their own super-humans. Captain Nazi, Baron Blitzkrieg, Zyklon, Gudra, Kung, Sea-Wolf, and Kamikaze are the only ones that immediately spring to mind though I'm sure there's more.

Yeah he did, and of course as he died he shouted to the bystanders to tell everyone he committed suicide, though in New Avengers Bucky takes credit for all of it.

Hitler was elected through the democratic process. Only a fascist would intervene against the will of the people.

because Hitler didn't advocate rape or child killing, he was a good person

It's also mostly because DC absorbs so many other companies and takes their characters. So when they bought Quality they got Plastic Man and the Blackhawks to run around in the Golden Age. With Charlton they got Dan Garrett, with Fawcett they got Spy Smasher and Bulletman, with Wildstorm they got the Sons of Liberty. It all ads up.

God bless America. You can stand over a body with the smoking gun in one hand and a noose in another but fuck you if you have sex with a minor.

I thought it had more to do with DC writers just not really giving a damn to impose any kind of limits on their characters. Certain people like Starman, Green Lantern etc could just do anything at all no matter what. No one cared.

Marvel put limits on what their strong guys could lift, or how fast they could run.

Yep, the world would be a much better place if Hitler had won but the allies had enlisted the use of criminals and rapists (Russia) as their main assault force

Apparently Bendis clarified that Bucky was fucking with them, since he knew they'd believe it.

Wasn't there some comic storyline where they go back in time to stop the holocaust, and they do, and it turns out the jews turn out worse than hitler. Like they cause WWIII and win and it's really awful. They go back and make the holocaust happen cause its the lesser of two evils.

Well, yeah, it is dumb. But it can work if you set up that it'd be something Germanic, some icon of the Aryan people and the master race. He's all proud of being chosen by der fuhrer, and heils right in der fuhrer's face and all that before being sent to fight the American metahumans.

And Billy Batson, being an American, ain't taking none of that shit and just calls him Captain Nazi.

Big long monologue about how he's the champion of the master race yadda yadda before he tries to reveal his real name but Billy just cuts him off with "So you're Captain Nazi".

>Even fucking Hitler is like "okay yeah well that's gonna stick to him, he's fucked"

How can you stop what never happened?

Would it even be a stretch to assume that Captain Nazi is any more cringeworthy to WWII german people than the name Captain America was to the American public?

Obviously afterwards it's got bad connotations but during the prelude to war and the war itself the Nazis were the national party and many Germans were proud to call themselves members of the Nazi party.

Until it became apparent just how insane the leaders were of course.

As far as I understand, Nazis during WWII didn't call themselves Nazis. Nazi was used as an insult by people who opposed the Nazis.

So we all agree DCEU Diana is a bitch for doing nothing during WW2 right?

They did, the holocaust didn't happen.

Hmm true. I know I've seen instances of Nazi being used in media articles from the time, but never official documents or films or the like, it was certainly uncommon.

Hitler had the spear of destiny and it's magic kept all capes out of the war.

Comic Book Writers just don't have the imagination to create a scenario where superheroes participate in WW2 because it would alter history.

For example, Dr. Manhattan alone managed to end the Vietnam War by vaporizing the opposition. The victory was somehow good enough for Nixon to overturn term limits and make Vietnam the 51st state, despite both things not being possible IRL even if the President got Magical Wartime Approval ratings. .

>Why didn't comic superheroes stop the Holocaust?

The holocaust is a lie