Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f4TysZL6YiA
youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo
youtube.com/watch?v=NkE8R6trmDE
youtube.com/watch?v=91tC_crlBDM
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Love it.

Haven't seen the Lord of the Rings movie done around that time though, is that any good?

My friends all say its ugly but honestly I think the art is choice

I am quite fond of the whimsical feeling of all the Rankin-Bass flicks of this era. There really is nothing quite like them.

youtube.com/watch?v=f4TysZL6YiA

That musical sting when Gandalf steps out at the beginning, man.

Infinitely superior to the live action trilogy, at 6-7 times less the length.

Plus, the soundtrack is maximum comfy.

Lord of the Rings is shit but Return of the King is good again.

It's my favorite one of the animated series.

Those fucking songs.
GO LIMMIWINKS....STOP WIKILEAKS....RUN RUN THE BATTLE'S ON, WIKILEAKS AND LIMMIWINKS

>6-7 times less

I have that VHS from when I was a kid even though I don't own a VCR anymore.

It's a classic. Truly 10/10.

Da BEST
Great music, great art, and tells a great story in a neat 75min time without feeling like it missed out a lot of stuff (60s hobbit) or had too much (Peter Jackson)

It's pretty good, as is the return of the king.
I highly recommend checking out The Flight of Dragons made by the same people. It's really, really great. One of my favourite fantasy films.

It's got some serious flaws, but still overall quite a good film. I suppose it gains some undue favor in my eyes because I can't help but compare it now to Jackson's Hobbit.

To put it one way, the Rankin-Bass film has all of the virtues that Jackson's lacks.

>Have a multimillion dollar budget and a movie's worth of padding
>Still fuck up Smaug's boast

You had one job PJ.

Rankin Bass's version of that scene was fucking fantastic

youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo

It's amazing

This is a good thread

Adore it. Beautiful illustrated animation that you'll never see again and catchy fun, or even moving music. "The greatest adventure" is such a goof song to me, seriously gets me excited to create and pursue my goals in life. And that storyteller voice its sung in. Love it, I love Tolkien.

meant good song, not goof

I don't know if the posts are ironic here or not.

No. We all genuinely enjoy this movie. Animation is great; all the characters are well voiced, especially Smaug.

What was Smaug's tax policy?

Best Smaug

Jackson got fucked by the studios. They couldn't do forced perspective hacks because the studio wanted to do 3D to squeeze more cash out.

I've never particularly cared for anything Tolkein, but I have a special place in my heart for Rankin-Bass animation.

My sister and I also constantly quote Bilbo's "FOUR ARMIES?" line in this.

Jackson didn't even want to do The Hobbit. He was essentially forced to since Guillermo del Toro backed on the project.

I mean LOTR stressed him the fuck out and he never wanted to do anything like it again

>FOUR-TEE TWO ARMIES

youtube.com/watch?v=NkE8R6trmDE

Always does me good to see a Hobbit poop

youtube.com/watch?v=91tC_crlBDM

and I'm guessing a lot of us saw this as young children and have nostalgia for it. i know i do

Then why is it so stretched out over multiple movies? If he didn't want to do it, couldn't he have just done one film? Wouldn't cutting the overall runtime they were going for make it easier?

Although he claimed that making three movies was his own choice, I don't know if I buy it. I think the studio forced his hand in a lot of places. The production was supposedly a mess.

>MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

>parents rented this movie for me
>was basically dragging my feet into watching it because it looked old and dumb
>fell inlove hard with the story and the characters
>then a year later, the LOTR movies came out

Shit was awesome.

The initial plan was to do two movies. The Hobbit and a "bridge film" that'd dive into what Gandalf was up to and stuff that happened between Hobbit and Rings.

That changed into just splitting Hobbit into two movies and incorporating the Gandalf plot into the narrative. And that's when the suits asked for him to make it three.