What's the consensus on this show? I remember seeing it on netflix and thought about giving it a watch

What's the consensus on this show? I remember seeing it on netflix and thought about giving it a watch.

It had some good fight scenes
Batgirl was cute
Ivy was cute
That's about it

>tfw having Batgirl the first inexperienced sidekick to Batman was once amusing
>tfw after enduring the Killing Joke movie realizing that it was kinda placating to Bruce Timm's Batman x Batgirl fetish
Ah fuck

God I hated the opening to the Killing Joke. What a load of shit.

it was harmless popcorn

the reason is that someone involved in the show was actually under the impression that they didnt have the rights to use robin.. in a batman show.

Teen Titans was still going on, so they hesitated to use him.

It was a shit toy commercial.

Mixed bag.
Some episodes are 1/10, others are 10/10.

Basically it wanted to be Batman TAS without being Batman TAS and never developed a strong identity of its own. It's not ridiculously bad or anything, just forgettable.

Took a huge amount of liberties because WB specifically wanted a more toyetic and action oriented cartoon. It's why all of the villains who are usually nothing more than glorified mob bosses with gimmicks can now go toe-to-toe with Batman.

I liked this particular incarnation of the Joker even though he's very polarizing.

The strongest aspect of the show in my opinion was the younger less serious Bruce Wayne. Batman and Bruce felt like distinct personas and Bruce wasn't just Batman without the cowl.

I wish they would have included Scarecrow. I would have liked to have seen how they incorporated him. Instead they just gave his schtick to Hugo Strange a time or two

Some people will say this version of Joker was terrible.They don't know shit

People were just put off by the voice and the visual design, but in terms of his character? The sort of schemes and antics he pulled? easily 8 or 9/10.

I also liked that he was on fairly equal footing with the other villains and could butt heads with them or get frustrated or upset. He wasn't the shitty INVINCIBLE AGENT OF CHAOS variant that TDK made popular.

wasn't there an episode about some hippe old guy who could travel back like 1 min with a watch and he just slowly learns how to fight batman?

i remember seeing a promo for it back when it was new, but never watched it

It's the only post-80's batman cartoon I couldn't get in to. The character designs just ruined it for me. That Marilyn Manson Riddler....

I didn't mind the vs Dracula movie, though.

Yep. He starts as a regular jack off, and then he essentially abuses save states to slowly win the fight because he knows everything Batman is going to do, and then he gets overconfident and starts going back to quip at Batman or say something snappy, and eventually Batman lures him into a trap where the danger is delayed/hidden from him and he CAN'T go back far enough in time to stop it when the thing that defeats him is finally made apparent to him and he can't avoid it.

IIRC.

It was annoying how the cops were carrying toy guns.

Yup. Episode 9 of season 4. Guy can reset time by 20 seconds. Batman never actually beats him.

The person who designed this needs to have their hands destroyed

Batman fucks Batgirl in this continuity too?

I like how they did an episode of Batman vs Predator

Welcome to the muddled world of early 2000's DC television. Teen titans could only hint at Batman , Justice League had to stop using Joker, a failed Aquaman pilot kept Black Manta's licensing at bay, And despite being launched to tie into Batman Begins, The Batman couldn't use Scarecrow.

Don't forget Batman or Wonder Woman couldn't appear on Smallville and Batman's villains couldn't be in Justice League.

I always thought it was because of that planned Dick Grayson show about him being a kid detective whilst in the circus or was that what they had planned for Smallville/Batman show.

It gets better after Batgirl enters somehow. Then it gets even better when Robin comes onto the scene.

This looks like it could be a car-themed swiss army knife

It's alright. Probably the weakest of the post-B:TAS shows, but it still has some fun episodes and never sinks too low. I liked the Jackie Chan-inspired art style.

There was a Batman vs Dracula TV movie within its universe I recall being pretty good and kinda dark. Something about a Vampire Joker fighting Batman in a Blood Bank at night comes to mind.

I mostly recall the scene where Bruce literally writes Alucard on a tray and holds it up to a mirror to reveal to Alfred that Alucard is Dracula.

>Probably the weakest of the post-B:TAS shows

>Somebody actually giving Beware the Batman a better review

>TFW Laughing Bat plot will never be used in another series.

best part of seasons 1 and 2 was amazing intro, they replaced it for some reason

Season 4 is legitimately good

Season 5 is basically Justice League

Great Hugo Strange, also Stray Bat

>Don't forget Batman or Wonder Woman couldn't appear on Smallville and Batman's villains couldn't be in Justice League.

I wonder how Timm managed to let them use Joker twice (or 3 times depending on how you look at Injustice for all)

I enjoyed The Batman. I quite liked how a lot of his gear wasn't ridiculously bat-themed and seemed to have a lot of utility, and it was by far the most engaging Bruce I've seen outside of the comics.

Refreshing takes on rhe villains and a more inexperienced Bat let them go toe to toe more, and some of the character interactions between Batman and his villains were great.

Overall I mostly enjoyed it, it was a solid 7.5/10 for me. Bane was the only thing I recall being absolutely atrocious, alongside the Batbot that appeared in the same episode.

The Harley Quinn origin was great in that show, and Laughing Bat and the Clayface origin double ep were fantastic.

It really was. It had stronger writing, did a better job setting itself apart while still honoring Batman mythos, and was overall more focused and better structured.

Doesn't mean TB is bad at all, though.

Kevin Michael Richardson as the Joker was a mixed bag. It almost works when Joker's voice is deep and intimidating, but ruins it when he's zany and off-pitched during normal conversations.

This episode was fucking awesome

>tfw he hanged the mayor's wife for j-walking
>tfw when he was about to beat up little girls for "graffiti" chalk on the sidewalk

Character designs were weird, but some of them I liked. Catwoman, for example, had a really weird mouse-looking cowl, but it grew on me for some reason.

Freeze was god tier (visually)

This motherfucker though. They just had to slap some random martial arts skills on him for this series.

These two were cool though.

And while it was somewhat ridiculous to see Penguin performing martial arts moves, as a character I think he was actually pretty good. I liked that he tended to serve as the nemesis of Bruce Wayne and Alfred, rather than exclusively Batman.

Also had the GOAT Ivy design.

>tfw they make her a kid to avoid the usual ivy shenanigans

Were those two new characters? I don't think I ever saw them in any other media.

I actually really liked Oriental Badass Penguin. The fact that bats wasn't just automatically beyond reach of his normal rogues in a fistfight but still clearly held a measurable edge was a good change I think.

I feel like he either shouldn't have been a tubby little fat ass, or he shouldn't have been so agile and been far more dependent on fire arms to balance the power dynamic like you say while not looking ridiculous.

Y'all're forgetting about Croc, voiced by Ron Perlman. That sweet, sweet Cajun accent.

I just really like the "person who is short/tubby/clearly not in good form for fighting is actually a total combat badass" thing. Anytime it pops up it just makes me happy. I enjoy the absurdity of it.

Everyone hates on Manson Riddler, but I thought it was an amazing redesign. I mean, just look at him. He looks like a fucking nerd with a chip on his shoulder who never completely outgrew his edgy phase. That's exactly the type of person I'd expect to put on a costume and make everyone play 20 questions just to prove he's smart.

>amphibian or reptile with a Cajun accent
Sorry user, I can't think of that combo without thinking of League anymore. Tahm Kench is too perfect.

Yeah, they were new. They even got cameos in the Lego Batman movie.

I can't hate any character voiced by Robert Englund.

The background music was shit-tier, they kept using the same fucking guitar chords over and over.

>cameos in Lego Batman

A true sign that the Kabuki Twins have made it as Batman characters.

She was still a crazy plant lady, so it's not like much changed.

Kid me still found her hot, tho.

It's a good show. It did Batman vs. Superman before BVS and I remember my kid self loved it. Not sure how well it holds up now though.

I love that they took flat-chested Ivy and they made it work.

Manson Riddler would work SO WELL as a Beyond villain, I wish someone took his basic idea (riddler as an edgy hacker) and moved him to the comic.

A pretty alright series. Personally I really liked the Clayface episodes. It was a grand time seeing an established side character descend into madness, pull together, only to regress again.

Though it ended on a really disappointing note thanks to "Clayface 2"

I was conflicted. Clayface himself was great, but there was no build-up to that. They put Ethan in a crazy machine to get him to that point. Then after being a genuine threat and had some good pathos, they replaced him with a shittier version.

It has a lot more action than BTAS but less character development (particularly for most of the villains). It has campy elements, but it's not as much fun as BBTB. It's still entertaining if like superhero shows and it's interesting to see some of the reinterpretations of the characters. There are a lot of really good voice actors (Ron Perlman, Clancy Brown, etc.).

The non-stop ice puns though....

Why did Ellen Yin drop off the face of the earth after season...3? I think? I liked her character.

Batgirl was introduced as Batman's new partner and the executives didn't want there to be too many female characters because they were afraid that it would cause young boys (the target audience) not to watch the show.

Yin was mentioned later, but she never appeared again.

Damn. A shame I guess.

Joker was really funny in this series. It was great.

Animated Series is the worst animated Batman show of all. I've seen all of them.
[spoiled]It's still good though. Batman is lucky to have never had a bad show.

>Teen titans could only hint at Batman
What makes this even weirder is that Batman is shown in one of the last issues of Teen Titans GO (the comic, not the new cartoon) and it's...The Batman design Batman.

This aired right around the time I stopped watching cartoons so I didn't catch most of it until a few years ago. I probably would've liked it more as a kid but as an adult it's just sort of meh. Not great at all, but not that bad either.
I do like the creativity with the villains though, its nice to see something different once in a while.
Shame they didn't get to do the Hush thing they planned, I would've liked to see their take with it

To be fair, it's not just the 2000's and it's not just DC. Look at how convoluted some of Marvel's contracts are. The X-Men are licensed to one studio, the Avengers are licensed to another studio and Spiderman is licensed to still another studio - it makes it a lot harder to do crossovers.

Also voiced by Mulan

Clock king episode was pretty memorable and neat for what it was.

solid show with solid animation