Daredevil Storytime (Part 10)

Welcome back Anons! Last time, Black Widow decided that Matt's life isn't crappy enough, she needs to nearly start an international incident on his doorstep. Tonight, we find out that the Kingpin BEFORE Fisk is getting out. Let's see what he's planning, shall we?

I REALLY hope one of those papers is the Daily Bugle, because the irony would amuse me.

oh joy, flashback time

>666 apartment

Don't tell me, they're bad guys?

Okay, so we've got people in these threads who can read French. Can anyone translate the German in the last two panels, and more importantly, tell us if Bendis fucked up again?

I don't know which would annoy me more, Bendis having to make up an OC golden age hero for no reason, or... well, you'll see later on.

This must be a really crap superhero if he's taken out in one hit by some random guy like this.

>he actually wrote ass as @$$

That's the laziest censoring I've ever seen in my life. Literally everyone knows what you mean when you type that, except maybe old computer programs.

Fuck yeah, Luke Cage!

Oh wait, just Daredevil in his first costume.

Remember, he only wore this for the first SIX issues.

Because the Fixer being just some asshole, now he has to answer to this guy, I guess.

bumperop i missed this last night

This could've just been three panels, maybe two.

>arrested by the feds, seemingly unrelated to Daredevil

I like to imagine he's just wandering into buisnesses and telling people what their buildings used to be, until they kick him out.

"This used to be a diner."
"This used to be a book store."
"This used to be a whorehouse."

You know, in case you forgot that this keeps happening.

I missed it last night too, don't feel too bad. I'm just glad the thread isn't COMPLETLY empty.

I feel like those top few panels are directly copied from a previous issue

With Bendis, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised.

Holy shit, look at the size of that damn pill.

Well, that could've gone better.

If you told me this was LITERALLY a picture of a Marvel intern with a photoshop filter over it, I'd believe you easily.

Well, shit. We're skipping quite a bit here.

God DAMN it Melvin.

Part 9

Lemme spoil this, we spend almost the rest of the arc building up to how they got here.

FUCKING BENDIS

Crap, I forgot to add that one. Thanks user, I'll add it in next thread.

NP. My co "archive" page only had the last three days visible, even though the older threads obviously still exist.

What is this, the third arc villain in this run who's deal is "He thinks superheroes are childish, lame, and stupid"?

Wow, did Maleev turn down his filters or something? This looks marginally more drawn.

Holy shit, and these pages look actually drawn!

No, that mask has nothing to do with Daredevil, despite the horns and the yellow.

Nah, he just had more time to work on this because he reused 80% of another page and just took a lens flare filter off it

Remember, by the time Gladiator appeared in Daredevil, Matt had already switched to the Red costume.

>"You're a- you're one of those birds that picks at-at-at dead things!"
>"A vulture."
>"No."
>"A vulture."

Since when did hardened gang bosses talk like characters from Seinfield?

Wait, is this an OC? It kind of looks like the Angel. Even has his little mustache.

>Green Guy with a cape and a hat

Anyone well versed in Golden Age Marvel enough to know who that's a reference to?

So I looked this one up. This one actually existed, even if he only had 9 issues in all of Marvel.

Bendis has two modes exactly- 1 word a page, and Wall of Text.

Shit, Bendis actually using a decades old character? And unceremoniously shitting on them

>Golden Age superhero shot in the head

If you're really quiet, you can hear Roy Thomas weeping.

Okay, you know how I keep calling attention to Agent Del Toro? This ends up being why, in a bit.

How can one man have so much disdain for the industry that he works in

I can only assume she's guessing her name by her hair color?

You know, now that I get a better look at it, it might be.

>What the hell is a video store?
>Can I eat these tapes?

>Seriously miss. I've been in jail since 1964 because that's apparently how the writer of this story we're in thinks Marvel time works. Gabagool.

Either that or Del Toro is a frequent patron (a la Montoya)

Oh, this is going to be good...

Ironically, Matt seems to have done more to him as Matt Murdock than are Daredevil here, because so far, Daredevil did nothing.

Except the stripper doesn't recognize HER.

You know, all this time I thought Gladiator had spinning circular saws, like he was using the Metal Blade from Megaman 2.

The most surprising part is that he knows who the character is. I like to think he drew names out of a hat, and pray that Roy Thomas wouldn't show up at his house and Conan his shit up.

You know how people joke that Kojima doesn't want to make video games, he wants to make movies?
I genuinely think that of Bendis.

Seems like prison has given Bont a taste for the old Anal Rape. And through two pairs of pants, even!

Speaking of Bendis shitting on characters, remember the time he killed off one of the first Hispanic superheroes?

He has trouble seperating the sliding timescale of Marvel with when the comics were originally released.
He makes that GLARINGLY obvious in All-New X-Men, if you remember.

>"If he's not alive to see what happens when this tape is put out in the wild, then it doesn't mean nearly as much."

Considering up until now this guy's deal has been "Fuck superheroes", that's a very supervillain thing to think.

Gladiator didn't show up until issue 50+, remember. I wouldn't harp on this so much if it was Spider-Man, and he used one of the weird variants of his costume, except this is an easily verifiable fact, and save for saying "this happened a long time ago", which the color scheme does on its own, there's no reason for him to NOT be in the red costume he's worn for 80% of his existance.

Seriously. Maleev's art looks so much better when he deletes the stuff he traced from underneath, instead of leaving it there, but muted as a colouring layer.

I don't think I'd have nearly as many complaints with the art if this was just coloured more traditionally.

It's the MGH, user. He could get through FOUR pairs of pants, if he really tried.

I mean, if they were lined up against eachother, I don't think he'd be able to get through four people at once.

So, like a lot of things Marvel does, it snatches shit from the jaws of quality.

So, has Matt ALWAYS refereed to him as "Melvin" in costume?

Or the club is under federal surveillance and Del Toro read the dossier.

Remember, so far Daredevil hasn't really done anything to Bont. He told him he took out the Fixer (for reasons unrelated to Bont), and that's it.

Except, as they mention frequently, Del Toro is investigating MATT, not Bond.

Wait, Matt CAN recognize people by smell? I thought only Wolverine could do that, and Matt relied on heartbeats?

>People don't stand behind me

>There are no people behind him

Shit... I think Daredevil might be blind.

Luckily for all involved, Matt "Doomcock" Murdock never starts dating Angela.

Worse, he's a superhero who sucks at bantz.

I was about to ask "Does she make it out of here alive" as I typed her name into comicvine and oh boy, she certainly does

And now Matt, like a lawyer, avoids admitting anything.

Dun dun dun!

>"Hector Ayala, the White Tiger, was my mother's younger brother."

Did Bendis create her to replace Hector, or did he retcon a relation into this otherwise unrelated character when he realized he fucked up killing Hector?

YOU DECIDE!

So Bendis killed off one of the first hispanic superheroes just so he could replace him with his own OC? Gee, I wonder if that ever happened again

Oh yeah, back to this.

I keep mentioning her because we see her later, and this is basically her origin story.

>I found these in the trash, and then I woke up dressed like Siegfried and Roy's pet, and some guy from the Avengers wouldn't stop shouting at me about Zero Fluid.

Oh no now the world is going to know that Matt Murdock is Daredevil!

Wait a minute...

Considering Hector Ayala was like in his mid-twenties at the oldest when he was created, him having a college-graduate niece seems unlikely.

Local News: Local blind man runs into police chase.

From the first part of her bio:
As a child, Angela was babysat by Luke Cage and Danny Rand, friends of her uncle, Hector Ayala. She considered them "uncles" and still does. She also found a surrogate aunt in Misty Knight.

Okay, I am pretty new to actually reading marvel things, but what the fuck sliding timescale. Are personal relationships normally like this, or is Bendis just really, really bad at understanding time compression (like you have alluded too)?

Come on user, of course not, that would be stupid, AND lazy.

Did that issue ALWAYS have that story about Osama? I feel like I'd remember that.

>93 years old
>Has been thought dead more than 20 years, presumably because that's after he was sent to jail

Bendis never understood the sliding timescale at all, did he?

You can get away with continuity breaking references like that in say, the Lego Batman Movie, because they're jokes.

When your 30 something protagonist requires having a 40 year career, it breaks the story.

In case you're curious, Matt had changed into the red costume for YEARS by the time Hector got his powers.

I checked No, so someone in Marvel decided to fuck with people, and didn't get caught.
And given how much I love Starlin, I'm all for fucking with editors.

It'd hardly be the second time Marvel retconned in a family member.
We READ Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, he only had one sister.

Fuck, does he think that Marvel time works like Simpsons time?

Like, has Bendis Spider-Man ever started yammering on about the time he saved the original cast of SNL from the Silver Samurai, or the time the Avengers were on Late Night with David Letterman?

This is the only page where Hector actually says ANYTHING in this White Tiger flashback.

Did he suddenly turn into a balding Vincent Price?

>"My mother's name is Awilda Ayala-Del Toro."

So remember when we read Deadly Hands back in June (also, holy fuck, I've been doing this for over 8 months)? Surprise of surprises, that actually WAS her name.

As a general rule, it's four real world years means one Marvel year.

But then we get shit like this.

I have to say, she really looks like the woman currently playing Maggie Sawyer on Supergirl

Best I can figure, people thought he was dead even before, but even that barely makes sense.

To be fair, Marvel isn't allowed to reference that SNL instance anymore, for the same reason they're not allowed to mention the fact that Godzilla and the Transformers exist in their universe.

He doesn't look anything LIKE Doctor Strange, user.

Okay, I can kind of see why he doesn't like Daredevil, if this is the kind of smug shit Matt did often.