What are your thoughts on the manchild epidemic?

What are your thoughts on the manchild epidemic?

It feels like it's being pushed more and more that it's okay for men in their 20s/30s not to grow up

What defines a manchild? Is it simply pop culture tastes?

you can blame consumerism and American culture for that

imagine enjoying jurassic world

but we are manchildren. I would even say we are the progenitors of the """epidemic"""
If you have a problem with this you should go back

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

>tfw don't even like 90% of modern pop culture but still considered a man child because can't afford to move out

Truth hurts the most sometimes.

simon pegg of all people said that? i agree with the statement but he is a huge staple of nerd culture in film.

Hey look, it's this thread again.

He's in on it

A man child is someone who has been allowed to live as if they were still a child and does live that way. If you're aware of this then you're not exactly a manchild. You can still act like an adult while living with mammy.

>consumerism
You mean capitalism.

You've done this thread before. How come I can't repost the same threads?

It sounds like an excuse to yell at people for enjoying the things they like. Yeah, its a shame when someone wears a fedora and wastes his days playing Sonic but I'm not going to bully someone over it and if these labels really affect you then it is time you took a look in the mirror.

Notice how people also twist it into whatever the political bogeymen is their opposite. It's Highschool shit.

>It feels like it's being pushed more and more that it's okay for men in their 20s/30s not to grow up

Seems to me like anti-manchildism is being pushed more and more.

>can't afford to move out
That doesn't make you a manchild at this point unless you live in some third world shithole where houses are cheap

In a way they're also trying to reintroduce old brands and franchises to younger people, so they can sell the very same thing to a new generation a few decades later.

It' about the long game when there's loads of money involved.

It is really weird. Grown people get excited for superhero movies and remakes from movies from their childhood. Entertainment with no substance to it, and people care so much for it. Sad.

> I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
Da fuck?

Sup Forums btfo

Quotes from several pretentious men and a man who is lacking in self-awareness.

old men and contrarians hating whatever is currently popular, what's new.

Before this it was hating on fantasy films(lotr etc) cowboy films or rock music.

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
>- Alejandro Iñárritu

Come to think of it I can't remember the last movie that really related and expressed the experience of being human.

Women have become worthless and society is not worth saving so young men seek escapism

Fake nerds. Enough said.

Get the fuck outside.

Watch pic related.

>Simon Pegg
>begs to have a cameo in Star Wars
>it's ok when I do it

t. picture related

Hasn't Simon Pegg taken back what he said?

Alan Moore hits it square in the head.

Why should I care?

>It’s okay to make money off of it, but the people who consume it are plebs.
>muh capitalist conspiracy
What a douche Simon Pegg is.

Jaysus. I enjoy a lot of nerdy shit, but the last thing I'd want is a wedding based on it.

I feel like we had this thread before

I think it was 2 days ago.

Please stop responding to this thread. OP is a faggot who keeps spamming it for days on end.

And yes I realize I am also responding, but sometimes you have to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward. I would sage but I'm fairly sure that does nothing.

It's funny how those are the type of people that make up this board now
Fucking Sup Forums and /vg/ cancer making us lower than even the likes of Sup Forums

You are absolutely correct. If there is nothing of culture to consume and everyone is forced to work no more man children. Government sanctioned beta conversion or extermination.

Why do Americans love men in spandex punching each other so much?

>own graphic novels, games consoles and numerous DVDs/boxsets
>refuse to collect models or toys

There's some lines even I can't cross.

How much money did Memento make compared the Dark Knight? “Interesting” doesn’t matter in a money business.

If you don’t like “capitalist movies” you’re more than welcome to only watch the few Tarkovsky movies that the Commies made. Or you can watch Triumph des Willens.

If you care about what "manchildren" are doing you are simply a slightly more advanced manchild yourself who is just projecting his own insecurities and own retarded high schooler superiority complex onto others.

Seriously, some of the fucks on here who laugh at manchildren are the equivalent of those 16 year olds who scoff at their younger siblings for not being able to watch M rated shows. You're a manteen, OP.

Communism will win

I think you need to grow up, bot.

>tfw manchild but happy to be one because don‘t want to work some gay job or marry some roastie piece of shit

>Americans don't know about manchildkino

The real man children are the losers who care about what type of movie someone else enjoys.

Insecurity and hopelessness.

Why do Europeans love long, still shots of a person’s face close up?

I am worried about the mental health of people, I think it's only healthy. What's not healthy is consuming this nerd culture trash though, time to let go, user.

>shitting on cronenberg
Yep, typical capeshit fans

I don't know, I think thats just the case of pan calling kettle out, or however you americans say it...

All of those persons, they know their "career" is nothing but stupid play in front of camera and they are actually lowest of the low among working men. Sewers cleaners are above them, telemarketers are above them....So what they do is claim that THEIR MOVIES are direct continuation of classic themes, that humanity has pondered for thousands of years. The fact is that they are adults who are playing roles, they don't do adult stuff. They are like clowns, except clowns gotta have actual talents.

>he thinks him and daniel craig didn't do it for free just to be in Star Wars since big fans

Because they have taste.

>all these upset adult children itt
When can we expect the C. S. Lewis quote drop?

Why would you invite fucking Gollum.

I'll be waiting.

What is funny is that those people have zero idea who David is. Scanners and Shivers were some of the highest grossed Canadian movies ever. Actually all of his movies up to Lady Butterfly and Naked Lunch were really profitable. And they still are, when a movie doesn't make trillions it doesn't mean it's not profitable.

Living the dream.

Stop forcing this, that shit was just as pretentious as anything else, even more so with the constant corny neon aesthetics and continuous retarded synth score. Also, characters were based on cartoony perception of NY lowlifes

>a 20 minute shot of a crying woman in a field
Masterpiece!

>third world
>cheap houses
lmao

It's easier to sell products to children. It maybe to late to break this conditioning.

no, I meant consumerism which is a sign of moral and civil decadency

Naked Lunch > Videodrome > Crash > Dead Ringers > Scanners > Fly > Brood > Shivers > ExistenZ > Dead Zone > Rabid > rest
Did I rate pre-00s Cronenberg right?

Like a father who beats you, you hate me now, but i will be in your oscar speech for all i did for you.

>implying that’s not how lowlife NYCers act.
Are you non-American, by chance?

I haven't watched cape shit in years. I just know that when people get so upset about things that don't affect them at all its usually because they're projecting their own frustrations and shortcomings.

>I am worried about the mental health of people
Then become a psychologist. Or worry about yourself, you obviously have much bigger issues than someone who likes superhero movies.

>third world
>houses not huts
LMAO

/leftypol/ pls go

Not upset, just disappointed.

Are white men seeking escapism because the white race is dying or is the white race dying because white men seek escapism?

neither, go outside

I'm dissapointed that youre wasting your life posting on a Vietnamese underwater basket weaving forum instead of curing cancer.

It is not too late to join us, brother.

I see through the films pretentious premise, even as I'm not from America. The only characters who felt real were the teen black and her junkie mom.

Like, who the fuck hangs around in video game arcade, dealing drugs? That shit was cliched like twenty years back and I live in finland...

>upset about things that don't affect them at all
The biggest meme of the 21st century. You live in a society, by definition everything everyone does affects everyone else. Stop spouting that liberal shit to rationalize everything

From my experience, a lot of my numale friends seem to draw their entire personality around the garbage they consume. It defines them. One of my friends is slowly covering himself in pop culture tattoos, it's actually disturbing.

They can't seem to seperate themselves from their fandom either. Any time I criticise something they like, they take it as a personal attack.

It's not just males though, lot of whores jumping on that bandwagon. They are worse though because their interests are much shallower and they rarely fully understand the product in which they profess to love.

It's because film tech has developed to the point to be able to create worlds that are more desirable than our own and realistic enough to fully immerse people in them. Your analysis is just projection of your own insecurities.

>friends
Nice try

>Your analysis is just projection of your own insecurities.
Elaborate please.

You sound like an asshoe who doesn't actually have friends

Oldfags are manchildren but know to hide their powerlevel in public. Newfags and redditors flaunt their love for entry level children cartoons in public

Can't cure cancer 24/7, need some entertainment every now and again. I just think it would be better for society in general if the entertainment we consume wasn't so juvenile and boring.

That sentence you quoted should be clear enough

I figured juvenile and boring would be right up your street, you fucking sleep inducer.

you want the honest truth?
adults are tired and want to have fun again.
they're tired of the political pc bullshit, racial agendas, must-have medical insurance to live, paying higher and higher taxes, etc

they just want to relax and forget about all those responsibilities (which is also why many are doing extreme sports)

in short, they're tired of the negativity that comes with being an adult.
which is also why there is a huge adult presence at comic cons. many dressing up and just having fun.

Can you go into detail please.

This but ironically. I hate living at home

>they're tired of the political pc bullshit, racial agendas, must-have medical insurance to live, paying higher and higher taxes, etc

Perhaps they need to get involved in politics instead of escapism.

The Lobster and Room (not the The Room, different movie)

What do you mean

Because now everyone must at least seem a bit cultural and just watching tv is mauvais tone today.!Office drones and wagecucks never read or learn or create, they have nothing interesting to talk about or do after job. "Nerd culture" compromises lack of any deep interest, knowledge or skills. Easy to grasp, requires nothing, enough people to talk to at your 9-5 job.

You're a boring cunt.

He wasn’t wrong but he couldn’t predict the failures nerd culture and consumerism would bring.

Death to capitalism

>being content with yourself, reaching the point of maturity where you are proud of your hobbies and of yourself and not being an insecure retard who needs to shitpost about how he's a big boy who doesn't watch superhero movies anymore is unhealthy

Alright, user.

fixed this image