ITT: movies that atheists will never understand

ITT: movies that atheists will never understand

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1EW-9heO47s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nigga I'm an atheist and I understood.
This movie is a hard watch for devout christians. I had a lady start screaming and talking to the screen when I saw it.
Eventually yelled about about a refund and left sometime after the crucifixion

>movie about how god isn't real and thus his "silence"
>atheists will never understand

>bawww God doesn't talk to me and do what I ask, so God isn't real!!!
I can understand rejection of organized religion, but true atheism is just childish self-centeredness

God isn't real. Get over it, Christcucks.

True. Very true.

Then how do you exist?
>I-it's just science faggot!!
Science explores, explains, and seeks to understand God's creation. Any good scientist would be glad to tell you that the universe is still a complete mystery, and we only partially understand a tiny corner of it

nah, you think you understood it, but you didn't

>movie about how god isn't real and thus his "silence"

That's not what the movie is about at all

>I need an imaginary friend simulator to get through the day

God is not your "friend," God isn't a human figure who wants to chat with you about your day, "God" is an abstract personification of a higher organizing force and "creator" that we will never, ever comprehend. Atheists are just butthurt that God isn't just Santa Claus for grown-ups who uses magic gives you whatever you put on your list.
>I didn't get what I PRAYED for even though I was a good boy!!!! Why do bad things happen to good people?!?!? God is a LIE!!!!
Get the fuck over yourself. You are as significant to God's creation as one single cell is to your body.

I used to be a Christian and saw it with my old pastor last year. He came out with it as Garfield being a coward for stepping on the picture whereas I saw it as performing a useless act to save lives as a moment of the compassion it takes to give up what you believe is right for the sake of others. I don't believe he actually heard God's voice in the end literally, but stepping on the stone to me was an act of personal self sacrifice as opposed to Christ's physical sacrifice. Silence really brings up a tremendous amount of conversation within the Evangelical denominations.

dumbest thing i ever heard.
you have no actual reason to believe in god (other than people telling you to).
and it's a lot more self centered to choose to believe that you are a special being, that is being watched by an almighty god who has a purpose and plan for everyone vs rock with a bunch of monkeys
>inb4 fedora
because there are no actual arguments against this

>choose to believe that you are a special being
I don't. I believe this

how do you guys defend god's existance?

not trying to fedoraing here, genuinely interested

Delet this

If you aren't gaining anything from something then there is no point in it, and certainly no point in abstract beliefs based on archaic soicietal forms of law enforcement. It always has been and always will be a lie to keep brainlets in line.

Ok, so why do we have to bother with God if he can do nothing, or not whilling to do anything ?
This asshole acts like an autistic dick tbqh.
Pic related, Epicurus was a polytheist.

>that we will never, ever comprehend.
why even worship/make movies about/discuss something you have no hope of ever understanding ?

See that's the "atheists don't get it" part.
You cannot prove that God exists. You need to accept this as a fact on faith alone.

>implying that earthly existence is what really matters

His existence is not necessary to live, so fuck it.

but where does the idea come from then?

>He came out with it as Garfield being a coward for stepping on the picture

your priest is a cunt and missed the point of the film

he is right
if all the martyrs or even Jesus renounced their faith when in trouble we wouldn't have christianity at all

>If you aren't gaining anything from something then there is no point in it
You're not exactly refuting my belief that atheism is self-centeredness. I am not trying to make a deal with "God" where I get my prayers answered for being a good boy. I believe in God because I have eyes and ears, and I live in an intricately detailed self-sustaining universe that has existed before humanity, will continue to exist after we're gone, and will never be fully understood. And it's beautiful and ingenious at every level of scale, and my human brain is wired to believe that beauty is not accidental.
>It always has been and always will be a lie to keep brainlets in line.
You are confusing "God" with the human institution of religion. Which also exists for reasons we don't fully understand, partially because "keeping brainlets in line" is actually a valuable and necessary pursuit.

He's not a priest. Just an Evangelical, Calvinist who got a job at my Four Square church when I was in highschool. He's pretty retarded.

>fact based on faith

>Ok, so why do we have to bother with God if he can do nothing, or not whilling to do anything ?
It's not a choice. But you don't have to think about it if you'd rather not.

>what is evolution, most of part of astronomical studies, theoretical physics etc.

>making a fake gesture stops you from praying in secret and proselytizing and spreading the religion

dont be a retarded that SPECIFIC moment of renunciation does nothing. you can step on the image, go home and have a secret mass. if you get caught later yea youll be tortured and killed or something but it doesnt stop the spread of christianity.

fucking cunts pretending to be jesus at the expense of other humans beings. gas yourself.

theories based on tangible evidence

youtube.com/watch?v=1EW-9heO47s

>this triggers christcucks

>rock with a bunch of monkeys
This is truly the most fedora thing you could have said though

Rejecting God under pressure is one of the worst things you can do

Not really.

Raptor without raptor-jesus...
Go rot in cretacean era you filthy darwinist !

actually dinosaurs trigger atheists scifags because HURRR WHERE ARE MY PLUMES!!!

Protestants maybe
They're barely christian by this point anyways

But he still carried his cross and was a believer. He may even have converted his nip wife, that or she put it on his body as a sign of respect for his beliefs. Silence really almost is just a story of cultures clashing on top of being a pretty great discussion piece for Christians.

All of them.

Atheists are the dumbest people on this planet.

Only Americans and niggers are religious nowadays, they're the only ones stupid enough to keep that meme going.

>saying some words to appease some psychopathic cunt is 'rejecting god'

yea nah, pretty sure god would prefer me being alive and recruiting more christians than being dead

dogma is cancer anyway, religion should purely be between the individual and the godhead

gas all catholics

People forgot about this movie pretty fast. It stopped being discussed like the day after it came out.
Garfield is just a really shitty actor. His accent was laughable in this.

DAILY REMINDER THAT A GOD IS BY FAR THE MOST LIKELY EXPLANATION FOR THE CREATION OF THE UNIVERSE.

>pretty sure god would rather prefer
Damn, the arrogance of even thinking you could know what God would want.

Not for long :^)

Observing an incredibly complex universe doesn't prove God's existence. It proves that an incredibly complex universe exists. Certainly it does beg the question of how such a universe came to be, and God is one of the possible answers, but that doesn't change the fact that our existence isn't proof of God's.
There is no proof for the existence of a higher power, if there were we wouldn't be having this discussion. All we have is speculation and faith, and in my opinion, faith is a better argument than speculation. At least you're being honest that way. The other option, as you've proven, equates to philosophical sophistry about how you "feel" God is real, not about how you choose to believe.
You're a narcissistic faggot.

Stop yelling, you're not in a church.

> zero observable evidence throughout all of human history
> most likely explanation
> This is your brain on religion

>being this simple

>fell right into the trap

that's exactly what priests pretend to do

I don't; I tell people I reached a point in my life where I needed to give into faith for my own well-being. I generally believe people need to experience a great deal before they can truly believe something so I don't proselytize.

>Certainly it does beg the question of how such a universe came to be, and God is one of the possible answers, but that doesn't change the fact that our existence isn't proof of God's.
"God," in my opinion, is that unanswered question. I don't pretend to understand "God's" nature any better than anyone else does, I'm just choosing to apply the most commonly used word to discuss that incomprehensible concept.

>be a crusader
>lose the crusades

Um no.

Are you a literal retard.

you're the redditor

Okey, but there's no way but faith to think there's reason behind Judeo-Christian god or whatever form it adopts in different cultures and religions. The fact that there may be a first force doesn't imply you shouldn't masturbate.

> "God of the gaps" is a term used to describe observations of theological perspectives in which gaps in scientific knowledge are taken to be evidence or proof of God's existence. Some use the phrase as a criticism of theological positions, to mean that God is used as a spurious explanation for anything not currently explained by science.

>god said he wants us to do x
>how do we know that
>just trust me and this book lol

>b-b-ut you are t-the redditor

The ABSOLUTE STATE of newfags these days.

Just go home, kid.

Thanks for proving me right. :)

idk I thought the universe was created as a simulation inside another dimension alien from our physics laws. Never understood that god concept desu

No really, you're the biggest redditor here. You're so reddit it stinks up this whole place

>who is Jesus Christ?

tbqh its not about god existing, its the doctrine itself that i follow. regardless of whether or not god truly exists, to live a pious and good life is more important, and to pass those lessons on is even more so. to that end, if the most effective way to pass those lessons on is to instill a belief in god, then i wont stop.
>inb4 "objective morality" bullshit
>inb4 "but what about the dinosaurs"
none of that matters. gods existence can be questioned as thoroughly as you like, but that doesn't change anything. what if god is real? then both dinosaurs and god existed. neat. then morality remains the same because god seems to have a no-interference approach to things. nothing changes if god does or does not exist. belief in a god doesn't mean you cant critically analyze the world around you, hell, i would say agnosticism, or acceptance that their MAY be a higher power, is almost required. a cornerstone of science and the scientific method is that nothing is above speculation after all.

after all is said and done i believe in god. are their contradictions in the bible? sure. but its a manuscript written hundreds of years after all the legends in it were initially created, shit was bound to change similar like a Chinese whisper.

The last sentence is pretty nice.
But the subject of this thread is finding arguments to feed trolls.
Your post is too consensual to be here.

>Evangelical Calvinist
>Accept christ into your heart, join our church
>If I do, will I go to heaven?
>idk
>But I mean if I act like a good person, and give money to the church
>It's not really like that...
>What do you mean?
>Predestination means nothing matters because you were going to do what you're going to do, no matter what. And going to heaven or hell doesn't have anything to do with your actions or free will, and is determined before your birth
>N-no thanks!

youre both redditors, now kith and make up

I said go home.

no thanks, but help yourself, redditor

>hey i am gods son
>how do we know that?
>just trust me lol

with all this faith going around i have faith that god will understand my actions as not a true betrayal to save the lives of human beings from a fucking psychopath willing to murder them.

if he doesnt then he is not a moral god. get fucked.

>omg the arrogance what if god really wants to torture people mentally and physically for ????? reasons he works in mysterious ways

miss me with that shit

Fucking Calvinists.

This film was pure Catholic propaganda. The Catholic priests were basically invading japan and taking over Buddhist temples and turning them into churches. Then when the populace got pissed and started doing something about it they get so eternally butthurt that the jesuits made a propaganda movie about it centuries later.

Caviezel went through a lot of shit during the filming. Dislocated his shoulder, caught pneumonia, got struck by lightning.

This makes sense tho, if God is omniscient he already knows what I will do and if he does it meas I have already been judged and put on this world knowing what I will end up doing

I'm not religious, but I thought this film reflected beautifully on the relationship between faith, friendship and simple pleasures.

I'm sure there's someone out there who will take offense to it. They just haven't entered the thread yet.

so God created you simply to have you worship him? How can omnipotent being be so petty and insecure?

that movie kinda went out of its way attempting to understand torturers and murderers though.

And it felt pretty off to me. This scene of the "Inquisitor" talking about buddhism and how the missionaries were taking something away from the Japanese people? Japan was NEVER a buddhist country, they took in buddhism like every other shinto belief, there even was a movement to get rid of it in the 19th century denouncing it as a "foreign" religion. The true reason for the Japanese nobility rejecting christianity so hard was obviously because of the Emperor being revered as a shinto god himself and a monotheistic religion threatening that.

Also the motivation of the priests wasnt really made clear either, just that they saw it as their "mission", the christian theological foundation that requires them to SAVE unbelievers was never even mentioned so it was easy to paint it as a self-indulgent undertaking.

then reality is fedora, sorry to say, that's just what it is.

That's messed up desu. Worse than living in a universe where there exists no meaning, a universe where your existence is meant to be meaningless.

Silence was written and directed by atheists

until you leave high school i guess

It's the mind experiencing itself. Recursive complexity.

not an argument

Enjoy rotting in hell, kid.

All is a dream of Azathoth.

not arguin'

I don't have any problem with Calvinism, but I find the idea of an evangelical one hilarious since it's Existential-Nightmare: The Religion.

>"God" is an abstract personification of a higher organizing force

What is the Second law of thermodynamics?

>and "creator"

A creator - abstract or otherwise - doesn't solve the infinite regress issue.

>Atheists are just butthurt that God isn't just Santa Claus for grown-ups who uses magic gives you whatever you put on your list.

I'm mildly irritated that imbeciles like you think a god of the gaps was a more intellectual approach than the bible belt version of delusion, because it isn't. Believing baseless assertions without any evidence makes you a moron irrespective of the properties of the thing you assert.

you couldn't, really.