Characters who are relics of the time they where written

Characters who are relics of the time they where written.

i don't see how jack knight is dated, i mean ok it makes you think 90s cause his story was open and closed then and the character hasn't been revisited since, but you could have the exact same story coming out right now.
Pic related for a relic from the 90s

99% of characters created in the 90s.

jack knight was a "90s slacker 'gen-xer'" cliché to such a degree that it was eye-rolling

bump

Delano Constantine is deeply, deeply rooted in Thatcher's Britain

>jack knight was a "90s slacker 'gen-xer'" cliché to such a degree that it was eye-rolling
Yeah, for like 4 issue.

Many of the costumes worn by super heroes during the 90's have been mostly forgotten.

Even new designs paying homage to old costumes will ignore the trends of the era.

Based Theresa May is doing her best to bring that golden age back though

Spawn. It should've stayed in the 90s

The 90s sucked.

Early 00s until the time TBBT, MCU and Facebook all took off was pretty good and much better than the entirety of the 90s. Especially when it comes to comics. Early 00s comics were fun.

90's Image was better than the 2000's at Marvel/DC. I'll take the edge of Spawn over nostalgic crap like JSA

Not really it was all trash.

I wish comics were that good again

I wouldn't say Starman is a relic of the 90s. Sure, the comic is set in the 90s and Jack Knight is into a fair amount of 90s trends but the story could easily be translated wholesale to today's timeline with very few minor changes.

go tobe Johns

What do you call a character that's a relic of a time that was a good decade before they were written

My. Fucking. Acquaintance with high melanin content. I'm in total agreement, you gentleman and scholar, you. Personally, I refuse to read any comics from before 2000.

First of all, as everybody knows, it's common knowledge that each and every single comic published in the nineties was pure, irredeemable, edgy grimderp shit. It's called the "Dark Age" for a reason, duh. Secondly, I refuse to read anything from before the nineties, because all the comics from those stone ages before I was born have wordy, old-style writing and bland, old-style artwork, and so they're just so boring and lame that they simply aren't worth my time.

I simply demand better from my entertainment.

>I only read Image and Marvel: The Post
Any decade that spawned Hellboy can't suck.

:( I really liked the first 150 Issues of spawn. The Covers by Greg Capullo are fucking awesome. But yea eventual it grew into the shit rag that people always said it was.

Bring back the crab mask damnit. Kyle's original costume is leagues better than what they've got him in these days.

I've been going through every issue over the last month or so and I agree with you. I'm on issue 202 right now and I haven't actually enjoyed it since maybe issue 125.

Still read his hijinks in the newspaper every week. Love me some Phantom.

I concur.

A living fossil.

>Tripfag having a shitty opinion
Nothing to see here.

Kyle is never becoming a green lantern ever again

After reading King's Omega Men I'm okay with that.

Yay, one of the other 6 people who like spawn. I would recommend that you look at some of the spin offs like, Hellspawn, Spawn: the undead and Spawn: Dark Ages

Spawn had such potential by attempting to be a old pulp horror book and not capeshit. I doubt it will ever recover. Maybe if they ever release the new animated series that will be good.

>Tripfag
Lurk more.

>tripfag

I've tried going through all the spinoffs also and the only one I could get interested in was Sam and Twitch. However, I'm in love with Angela. She's by far my favorite character and it sucks that the legal bullshit between Gaiman is what killed her...

>mfw

Most capeshit, really. That's why it feel so weird when they try to "update" them.

The only bright side of this age of rightwing ascendance is we might get another generation of amazing writers pushing back against it like we did in the 80s.

Maybe there's the next young Moore or Morrison out there right now being motivated to create by the current situation.

If you want to successfully bait people you have to try just a little harder, friend.

OP's just being edgy because Jack Knight is actually a good 90's character.

>OP: LOL, I'll post something contrarian but plausibly debatable.

But she wasn't. I think this idea comes because young people today have such a distorted view of the 80s.

Dazzler premiered in 1980, which was past the absolute peak of disco but it was still hugely popular. The early 80s were a lot like the late 70s, not the neon Miami Vice image people now have of the 80s which doesn't really emerge until the middle of the decade.

Dazzler as a disco-ish star was absolutely of her time when she debuted.

>But yea eventual it grew into the shit rag that people always said it was.
>translation: "It took me 150 issues to realize it was the shit rag that people always said it was."

It's the best decade of DC comics by a wide margin. Sup Forums has no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

Spawn's one redeeming feature was spawning (ba-dum-tish) the amazing soundtrack for the movie.

Isn't he a special sundae lantern now? These human lanterns have quite a bit of trouble staying dead/retired

well all lanterns are special

What are you talking about, superheroes are successfully updated all the time.

Batman is still one of the most popular and profitable characters in the world and has been updated numerous times over the character's 78 years of existence. Likewise Captain America. Marvel's 60s-era superheroes are part of one of the biggest franchises in the world.

That's a tough one. The 90s were really good at DC, but so were the 80s (the late 80s, at least).

> These human lanterns have quite a bit of trouble staying dead

That's not entirely true. There are alien lanterns who've died multiple times like Galius Zed who has died at least 3 times, yet he's still there in the background shots hanging out.

THIS.

>I'm old as fuck and was there. This is true

Created as a Punisher clone but branched out and became its own thing. Still extremely dated by today's standards, especially now that we've tons of vigilante killer stories.

I wish Tom King would get his shit together on Batman

Before people get triggered, I don't mean Dick himself, just the child acrobat from a travelling circus feels like a character origin from a different era.

I mean Barnum and Bailey's did just shut down

Alex Ross probably killed off any hope for that coming back

Close, but no cigar.

Whor describes one particular 2010s Marvel gimmick, pic related sums up every single thing that'll be seem as cringeworthy from the 2010s 10-20 years from now in the same way that Leifeld art sums up everything dumb about 90's comics.