youtube.com/watch?v=_B8Mnks_qNY
youtube.com/watch?v=mG-RORpZ3Pk
youtube.com/watch?v=Pld6fHqHVLA
youtube.com/watch?v=7dvt05dwN_k
youtube.com/watch?v=aJp0jIZNPhk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Lower left corner.
This is a blue board user.

I like a lot of the Quay Brothers stuff. I got a Blu-Ray collection of their shorts from 1979-2013.

It's pretty good.

Good tastes.

The Prophet had some great individual segments.

this list trigger my autism so bad, image previews are not from same size, no realease date order no alphabetical order....

>Obscure
>Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

Also good on whoever is updating that. Most our recommended images are left to gather dust.

Prince of Egypt and the Scooby Doo one aren't really obscure.

If we're talking obscure Dreamworks movies, that'd be Spirit or Joseph King of Dreams easily.

Beavis and Butt-head do America.

I don't see it talked about very much, it's probably the funniest shit i've ever seen.

No Rock-a-Doodle? For shame.

This is probably more Sup Forums related than Sup Forums but I don't care because Angel's Egg is an amazing film that everyone needs to see.

>My butt itches
>Your butt sucks

youtube.com/watch?v=PwuhdhYL8UY

This one

I've been waiting so long for one autist to point out how sloppy the image sizes are slapped together.

Excellent choice, user.

I intend to take Zombie Island off and replace it right after I take off Rikki Tikki (for not being feature length). Just as soon as I watch the new films I have up for consideration for those slots and figure out if they're good replacements.

Why is this not even considered?

youtube.com/watch?v=5qVdSyZk96Q

Here's the new big list some other user put together recently. I like the shorter more condensed list better and think this one's missing a few things I would definitely put on here, but it's got a lot more choices for if you're running out of films to watch and most of the ones I've seen seem to be really great.

It absolutely was considered. But I decided to pick just one film between Triplets of Belleview and The Illusionist, and I picked Triplets. Trying to keep the list small and more or less varied, more like an introductory list than a complete one. I cut Plague Dogs for that reason and decided to just keep Watership Down. My reasoning was that if somebody watches Triplets of Belleview and likes it, it's not hard for them to go find Illusionist. If I get around to making a "runner up" list of all the stuff that just barely didn't make it, that one's a top choice.

How recent was that list when it was made?

It's only a few days old.

>Sausage Party
>High Tier

Shit list.

Agreed

It has to be at least a week old. But it's definitely from this year, and it's only February.

Those are both more obscure, but neither is nearly as good.

>Sing
>Sausage Party
>Anything DC new 52
>Planet Hulk
> Looney Toons: BiA
>Hoodwiknked
>The Simpson Moive
>Ponys

Remove that and we can start disscusing

I'm more annoyed that he included all that but didn't add Tangled, Allegro non Troppo, Gay Purree, Little Nemo, etc. I can usually get just not being into them, but he included so much shit before them.

Every "board recommends" list has to have bait.

Is there anyone out there who is a good reviewer (objectively) of animated films, shorts, etc?

All of the ones I really likes are in French.

I'm not sure if there can be such a thing as an objectively good reviewer. The very nature of the job hinges a lot on personal opinion and is very affected by biases.

That having been said, I kinda like Lindsay Ellis's reviews, especially outside of the TGWTG stuff.

Objectively, meaning that they're not doing ass pulls in reviewing a film. They take what is presented in the context of what it is in the film and why it is. An objective look at animation (as an example) would be that Toy Story 3 is just Toy Story 2 all over again. There are many key aspects to each story that show up again when a fresh concept wasn't presented. As such one could say 'if you have seen Toy Story 2 you have seen Toy Story 3'.

Toy Story 3 is highly overated

Indeed, hence why I used that example to showcase how superfluous it was for Pixar to make Toy Story 3

I have a soft spot for Mr Bug Goes to Town. Not much in the way of story, but beautiful oldschool animation.

The story is certainly lacking, but the animation is very gorgeous. It shows that Fleisher studios had great artistic talent but lacked vision and ideas for storytelling.

Speaking of movies with good animation that are lacking in certain other aspects, I've always thought it was really a shame the Raggedy Ann movie didn't turn out better. I feel like it could've turned out to be a beloved classic if only it could have received a couple of minor changes, like cutting down on all the amount of songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=gxvyaapBcq4

Coonskins was great, one of my favourite Bakshi films (behind American Pop of course, that movie was just fantastic)

The Chipmunks Adventure

Is Strange Magic old enough to be obscure yet? It's got its fair share of flaws, but it was surprisingly enjoyable, and I really adore its aesthetic. It looks like a CG film made from an Arthur Rackham painting.

if there's a discussion about hungarian animation, its always janklovics but there's a lot more and they're really good

Szaffi
Hófehér
Lúdas Matyi
Vuk
Macskafogó

Lindsay's stuff is great. Just stay away from her twitter, or when she speaks about anything remotely political

youtube.com/watch?v=1GFkN4deuZU

youtube.com/watch?v=ur_nXfmi67o

The scene where those screeching banshee goblin type creatures were driving the protagonists insane with their screaming, and they were desperately singing mismatched off key songs in an attempt to resist, that freaked me out as a kid. And I distinctly remember having a nightmare featuring the ogre. Still loved the hell out of it.

Saw it as a kid many years ago. After all these years, it's still my favorite.

I don't know why there aren't more adaptations of this.

God I love Dali

A really charming animation with a great story. The soundtrack is awesome.

Unfortunately for Bakshi Coonskin garnered far too much controversy. After that he had studio execs breathing down his neck every step of the way going forward.

I'll teach man to fly like a fairy, and I'll give the ultimate answer to all his science can ask youtube.com/watch?v=RKOErq1-okU

Macskafogo is weird, but I love it. It's a great parody of James Bond movies, particularly the more silly ones

I really can't remember much about this movie, but I know I rented it dozens of times as a kid.

Has Habfürdő ever been brought up in any topic in the history of anything ever? Obscure as all hell, but apparently the art design and animation made it sort of notable among certain animationfags.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk0u8CRw9o

Speaking of Bakshi...

Don't know what Sup Forums thinks of Fire and Ice, but damn that was a gorgeous movie. Even though it was a bit light on the story

One of the rare times that a heavily rotoscoped animated movie actually looks good. Fairly certain that Frank Frazetta working on it helped a lot.

Personally I found it way too boring to enjoy. But I can admit the designs look great.

>Fairly certain that Frank Frazetta working on it helped a lot.

What tipped you off?

Watch the documentary Painting with Fire and Ice. They talk about how much fun Frazetta had in helping to make the movie. In terms of directing the action and movement of the rotoscope actors. Bakshi even talks about how the artists (guy for the most part) were gushing out over Frazetta being at the studio. Much in the same way the girls at the studio would gush over Brad Pitt during Cool World.

Buy Painting with Fire and Ice or torrent it. Its a phenomenal documentary of Frazettas career.

>obscure
>watership down
>an american tail
>the iron giant
>the prince of egypt
>the last unicorn
>mask of the phantasm
>rango
>coraline
>heavy metal
>cats dont dance
>the hobbit
>the brave little toaster
>Little Nemo
>Fantastic Mr. Fox.
>A FUCKING SCOOBY DOO MOVIE
>Kubo

Are you the type of Down's Syndrome Chuckle Fuck that thinks a movie is obscure if it isn't Disney?

YIKES, I'M A FURRY
I hated that movie though.

My first awkward fap

Maybe he's just a normie.

I wish more people adknowledged Ernest and Celestine.

Can some user help me out?

There's a movie that's been circulating in animation threads and obscure movie threads (hasn't been listed yet)

It's called hello something (it's two words)

I can remember a webm of two god esque figures in this gorgeous deep blue, with the one on the left stroking his beard of lightning or some shit.

Unfortunately I didn't grab the title while they were up but I'm getting short on a backlog and really want to watch something of caliber

Helio* (not the full word only the beginning of it) and a second word that starts with an H I think

yet they're still gonna make a fourth one.

Thats post Wall-E Pixar for you.

this stopped reading when i saw it

Little Nemo was such a fucking gorgeous movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=MIweiW20eE4

Feherlofia, aka Son of the White Mare? The webm you describe comes from that.

Son of the White Mare aka Feherlofia. Dunno where you're getting "Helio" from.

youtube.com/watch?v=_B8Mnks_qNY

Thank you anons that's the one. I musta misread replies about it from the few threads I've seen it mentioned in which would explain why I couldn't find shit even close to this when i looked on my own, though saving the files in the first place might have been some help.

it was... but it was also seriously busted. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember being disappointed. the completely unnecessary pet squirrel, in particular, looked like some design-by-commitee bullshit

how the fuck is HTTYD only in decent?

you know... there is a ton of nudity in that film, but none of the characters onscreen recognize any of it. you don't even notice it, after a while.

it really lends credence to the view that Americans are terrified of nudity for no reason.

>it really lends credence to the view that Americans are terrified of nudity for no reason.
It really shows if you compare French comics/animation to US ones

Yeah, Icarus the flying squirrel feels kinda like some attempt at an anime type animal mascot sidekick, like out of a magical girl series or something. As though there weren't plenty of other characters in the comic and movie that could serve as humorous sidekicks. Icarus is present in some of the earlier pilot material, so we at least know he wasn't slapped on that late in production, if its any consolation:

youtube.com/watch?v=mG-RORpZ3Pk

I think I could appreciate Icarus a lot more if only they'd toned him down a bit in his and Nemo's waking real life scenes. Flying squirrels are probably my number one fantasy pet that seem really cool in concept but would probably be a huge pain in the ass in real life. I can buy Icarus constantly chattering on in his funny almost comprehensible squirrel speak like a tiny scooby doo, faithfully following, communicating with and helping Nemo- so long as it's in the context of a dream. That's a fantastic element ("fantastic"meaning not in a complementary way- in a "this is fantasy" way) that is appropriate in a dream setting. But the problem is that he acts that exact same way in the real world too, where things are supposed to be more mundane, and that kinda irks me. If he wasn't present in the real life scenes, or was more like a real asshole sugar glider pet, or even maybe if he was a stuffed toy or something, I feel it would be more appropriate.

the fuck? Rango is one of the best animated films ever made! Hercules is raw garbage! and can you honestly say that The Last Unicorn is better than Beowulf?

there is no such thing as an objective review. what you would be reading would be a description of technical specifications.

"uses this many frames per animation. has this much range in the color choices. soundtrack involves these people and instruments..." that shit.

art is a conversation between the creator(s) and the audience. they say or show something, and you respond. a good review will attempt to describe the reviewer's response to what they felt the creator(s) said. an excellent reviewer will attempt to critique the creator(s) fluency with the medium and their ability to convey their intention. but, it is still based on the reviewer's subjective point of view.

how weird that, for a time, animation was heavily aimed at adults, yet today it is considered kiddy fare? I hope Sausage Party did well enough to convince more studios to take a gamble on adult animation. Though, hopefully with more mature (with a small "m") stories...

as for Fire and Ice, I thought it was racist as fuck. I guess if I had seen it when it was released, I would have been blown away. such as it is, that shit bothers me too much

I totally agree with you. honestly, I could have accepted him if they hadn't put that stupid helmet on him. like you said, he clashed too much with the idea that the real world was supposed to be boring and dry

The really unsettling part for me was always the way the revelers are happily carrying on completely oblivious to the terror creeping up on them cut together juxtaposed with the scenes of increasing panic building with Nemo. The awkward bouncing around between the moods made it so much more uncomfortable and scary.

If you're talking about the era Fire and Ice was made in, I think you're mistaken.

Trailers are like short films, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=Pld6fHqHVLA

Heart Sting Marionette is interesting, I mean I'll admit it's edgy as fuck and the voice acting (outside of Lord Wor) is pretty lackluster, but hell, it's a two hour long film animated entirely by one guy, and the art style/lighting make the technical aspects seem a lot better than they actually are.

Here's the trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=7dvt05dwN_k

Here's the full movie (word of advice, avoid the alternate or "uberector" version, while the original was far from a masterpiece the uberector cut absolutely fucks it up and cuts out a crucial scene near the end):
youtube.com/watch?v=aJp0jIZNPhk

No. The Prophet was 10% music video and 80% pretty powerpoint presentation at 5 fps while Liam talked. Not a good animation work.

Its such a beautiful day and The world of tomorrow are 10/10

I did too. I only remember a scene where he failed to eat a squid.

romeo and Juliet story?