Comic book has great writing

>Comic book has great writing
>The art style is so hideous that it's unreadable

What is it Sup Forums?

HELLBOY

Morrisons X men

Can I show you the wares of Greg Land.

Fialkov's UFF run

I challenge anyone to name a comic with a greater inverse proportion of great writing to shit-tier art than Sandman.

Pic related is maybe the 5th worst artist who worked on that run.

God yes. What the hell. I was so happy when I got to the Wake and the art was by someone competent.

What is most mainstream American comics?

A lot of proto-Vertigo comics has fucking awful art, Doom Patrol and Animal Man especially

Sonichu.

I feel like, if DC hired Duncan Fredrego to redraw all of Sandman, they could pay for it with Kickstarter and that alone would raise 10 million dollars.

That's the arc when the guy eats the crow, right?

There's works with vastly worse art than Sandman, but nothing comparable in the Fantastic writing/Shit art category.

You have to get Chandler to draw Batman: Year one to equal it.

the opposite is worse imo

Ayep.

This. The art was so awful I was almost glad it was over (plus Sue was a bitch). Although the all new ultimates art was possibly even worse, but that story wasn't even good..

Nah. A truly great story can draw you in, and you'll eventually tune out most of the unfortunate art.

An awful story is easy to walk away from, stellar art will just encourage you to buy a poster and be done with it.

Holy shit yes.

>prioritizing writing over art
>in a visual medium

Ideally comics are a good balance in all departments, but if you'd prefer to have better writing over better art than you're a fucking pleb

A comic book with a garbage story is just an art-flip book.
I'll pay for a great story. I will not buy a cheaply printed floppy full of drivel, even if it's drawn pretty.

Let me guess. you pull at least 6 Bat-titles monthly right?

Fialkov will always be the only writer who fucking understood Ult. Reed after Ellis.

A comic book with garbage art might as well be a novel, if the art isn't guiding the storytelling and bringing it to life.

And thanks for asking but I haven't read a Batman comic for more than two issues in years

It still hurts, bros

I've never finished The Invisibles because the transition from the glorious Weston/Jimmenez volume to god damn Phillip Bond completely destroyed my connection to the world. The aesthetic went from 2000AD style comic-realism to looking like a late 90's MTV cartoon.

Fuck man, I honestly didn't mind Dean Ormston when he did a couple issues of Lucifer, but his work on The Kindly Ones was fucking god awful. Apparently that arc had like 8 different artists, so who knows what the fuck happened to it

>Doom Patrol
Richard Case is a great artist

He gets better as he finds his groove in the book, but the early stuff is ropey as fuck. Proportions are crazy inconsistent at times, perspectives are illogical, some flat design choices to name a few problems

unbeatable squirrel girl. I'm sorry. I just really like Ryan North's writing.

So many authors improve with age. Early Peter Gross Lucifer is very bland compared to modern Unwritten Peter Gross

a bad writer can suck all the life out of a good artist

locke and key. I really dont like the art style

I was into literature long before I developed an interest in comics (and still prefer it), so I can easily tolerate a comic book with great writing and poor art. That said, I can quite understand if someone would not be willing to do so, especially if comics are their medium of choice.

that's what he said, user
THAT'S WHAT HE SAID, YOU STUPID CUNT!!!!

>The story is so good that even the shittiest art doesn't turn you off

I'm an artist so I can't really read a comic with terrible art no matter how good the story is. Make it a book if you can't get a decent artist. Jeez. Comicbooks are a visual medium

Y: The Last Man.
God, there's something about the art that irks me, even though I think Pia Guerra isn't a bad artist.

>Sonichu
>hideous art style

Shit taste, friend.

I don't care it's bait, I WILL DESTROY YOU

I like OOTS and really the basic stickfigure style is part of the fun,
but it'd still be cool to be legit drawn.

Books and Comic Books are vastly different forms of storytelling, you can do things with a comic you can't with a book and vice versa, regardless of shit art style.

Also some folk aren't great at descriptive or narrative writing but are great at plot writing and dialogue, making comics perfect for them.

Yo dude steve pugh and richard case are GOAT, the dude who did the art for morrison's animal man is not very good tho

Vote Loki.

Animal Man was Vertigo?

Case in point: immonen, he even went from bendis to slott, who's next? , hell he went from good bendis to current terrible bendis

>God, there's something about the art that irks me, even though I think Pia Guerra isn't a bad artist.

I enjoy the fact that it's a post-apocalyptic story which is colorful.

Morrison Animal man was before Vertigo was a thing, and then the Millgan/Delano run right after it got into a lot of Body Horror stuff. It got hit with a "For Mature Readers" tag, and moved to Vertigo when that imprint became a thing

I want a remastered edition of Sonichu with good art

Vote Loki is garbage. I got the first issue because I like Loki, but holy fuck. It looks like a three year old did the art.

same thing could be said about you, you pasty faced "open my dick and say 'aaahh', daddy" faggot

wow chill out Langdon Foss

On that note, Morrison's JLA.

I'm the same way user, I don't blame you

I've tried more than once to read Sandman. I'll leave it at that.

exactly

compare immomen on a bendis comic to like, immomen on nextwave

The art in that series is embarrassing.

>Duncan Fedrego
>not Sorrentino

While it doesn't render it completely unreadable, the art in the first few issues of Joe Kelly's Deadpool run are so fucking annoyingly cartoonish and bulky it makes it hard to take the comic more seriously and enjoy it.

Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth

I don't see anything wrong with that art.

Read the actual comic. It's just too fucking goofy.

Anything with Fernando Pasarin and Matt Ryan

The same people who think this probably hate old video games because of the graphics. AKA casuals.

>even the redraw isnt really great, just not shit.

This doesn't make any sense, are you honestly trying to say his Nextwave work is better than his Ult.Spiderman,Avengers and X-Men work?

Because of Bendis?

Transformers Lost Light. The new artist is horrible.

Gillen's Star Wars: Darth Vader

Not that guy, but to be completely fair, he was given an almost ludicrous amount of freedom while working on Nextwave.

The OP mentioned great writing.

Is that Dedato or Cassaday scanning and copypasting people?

I know you gotta spread your talent around and can't give your big guns the best stuff all the time but if there is one book that should always have top tier art and writing its Justice League.

Pretty sure it was Larocca on Vader. Deodato was Star Wars.

Anything Frank Dillon.

>but muh Preacher
No, he's always been bad.

Me too, bro. Me too.

Fegredo is the only good artist (other than Mignola) to draw Mignolaverse, in my opinion. All of them range from ok to bad.
I think I like Fegredo more than current Mignola, even.

Thanks, all the images i've seen kind of blend together. Are any of the Marvel Star Wars series good?

It's true.

You know it bby.

Somebody was making it. I think they got like twenty pages in before giving up.

Starbrand & Nightmask

Chris has said that he recently got into Marvel and DC....Do you think we could manage to get him to do this? That sounds like the greatest shit ever.

The original run from way back when Star Wars was new was fun. I don't care much for what's coming out now.

batgirl & the bop rebirth

Yeah that sucks. The authors are new to comics, but they seem to at least be familiar with how the old BoP worked, but man that art makes everyone look like pre-op trans people