Mother!

Now that the sust has dettled, can we actually talk about this movie? I have a lot of mixed feelings towards it that I wanna sort out by talking with you all about it.

What did you think of this movie? If you saw it, how much did you know about it beforehand?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XpICoc65uh0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It was so tactile, so beautifully staged and acted, the subjective camera and the POV reverse angles, always in motion…the sound design, which comes at the viewer from around corners and leads you deeper and deeper into the nightmare…the unfolding of the story, which very gradually becomes more and more upsetting as the film goes forward. The horror, the dark comedy, the biblical elements, the cautionary fable — they're all there, but they're elements in the total experience, which engulfs the characters and the viewers along with them. Only a true, passionate filmmaker could have made this picture, which I'm still experiencing weeks after I saw it.

is there a torrent for this yet?

It is a very fartistic movie.

Excellent surreal film. It does hamfist the religion aspect but overall it's disturbing, frustrating and keeps your attention. I think of Luis Buñuel when I watch it.

It was good enough. One that will probably get better with time, I think it'll be considered Aronofsky's defining work. But much like The Shining it is a really not fun watch.

Captivating sensory experience with a fertile core (the writer/artist as monster.)

Here are my disjointed thoughts. For the record, I knew nothing about the film going in and thought most of these up while watching it
1. Aronofsky's interpretation of his own film is fucking garbage, I went from adoring it after seeing it to being really frustrated after hearing his bullshit explanation. Regardless of if the artist is the only one who can decide the meaning of his work or not, interpreting it through his lens completely ruins it
2. The movie struck me as an ode to background characters in narrative. She tries to go about her day-to-day goals while her husband, who you'd probably consider the main character if you blindly read the synopsis, does many things and meets many people and goes many places, none of which is ever fully explained to Lawrence's character, leaving he perpetually out of the loop. The scene of her having to clean the blood up after a conflict she was in no way involved with really drove this feeling home.
3. The movie also seemed to me to be something like a "social horror" movie. It gets its relentless tensity (I had my toes curled and fists clenched for the entire first half of the movie, no film has ever done that to me before) from exploiting the uncertain and terrifying side of social interaction and inducing social anxiety. I loved the subversion of the typical Good Will Hunting-esque scene where a character tries to fully "figure-out" another character and get in their heads, where instead of Pfieffer's character being portrayed as cunning and intelligent for it, it just feels incredibly invasive and hostile.
cont...

4. The movie doesn't seem like a story that should be interpreted in any one way. I think what makes it such a masochistic joy to watch is that it feels like 100% allegory/archetype. You get the sense that you aren't supposed to be thinking of the individual people and objects in the movie, you're supposed to be watching the unarticulated concepts they each signify to you and watch how all those cogs work together as a structure.
5. I was fully convinced it was a nationalist anti-refugee/immigation propaganda piece for most of the movie before and was impressed that they somehow got away with it
6. Calling the characters shit like "Him," "man," "woman," etc was a bad move. It turned it from "a movie that you may notice uses archetypal story structures from Genesis to explore social interaction/artistry/ownership/whatever" into "A RETELLING OF THE BIBLE WOAAH"

*I was convinced it was nationalist propaganda for most of the movie before the end

This.

I watched IT and mother! the same day, after seeing mother i went out of the cinema scared, trembling, the house getting more and more crowded and how all of that just leads to more destruction i was afraid on my seat it was like a new phobia or something...

I got 20 minutes to eat something a go to the screen room to watch IT (it was garbage) and it felt so bad in comparison, mother! is like a movie is supposed to be done, its PURE ART like BR 2049.

About the plot i think it's all there but if u dont know the basic bible thing you're going to miss stuff, like i did. And i don't hate Aronofsky because of this, a director shouldn't make a movie thinking their public is stupid unless youre Michael Bay, the bible is the most selled book ever and the movie doesnt touch intricate stuff or anything like that.

I wen't out (before reading analysis) with the idea of biowar, and the destruction we do on the planet.

I'm a fucking dumbass and somehow only picked up on the Cain and Able reference without picking up on any of the others until reading about the movie after the fact. Honestly, I think it improved my initial watching experience, not seeing most of that. It helped add to the feeling that no matter what I could do, I was unable to get "behind" the movie and figure out exactly what it was doing and where it was going like I can with other films, and I was just going to have to accept getting held down and throatfucked for its entire duration. That feeling of being overwhelmed on every level was what the movie excelled at for me

I agree, it added deepth to the film but the experience of watching it was terrifying because of the uncertainty, it's not a movie that keeps you watching because ''meh, i already paid the ticket'' it just wont let go

>overwhelmed on every level
Yeah, especially with all those sounds. At one point Jlaw let out a scream that kind of made me grow some respect for her acting. Also, I didn't know I could auto greentext by just selecting the stuff I want to quote. Is this new?

Also, although the sound design was flawless, I really wish I could see what the movie was like before they decided to ditch the soundtrack
Assuming the music from this trailer is pulled from it:
youtube.com/watch?v=XpICoc65uh0
I would have fucking loved it. I have such a hard-on for abstract/avant garde chamber music like that. It's why I love Jonny Greenwood's PTA soundtracks so much

Can someone please tell me what was the yellow thing Jennifer Lawrence drank?

basically came here to say this. The Symbolism becomes too in your face by the end.
But it has a great nightmarish atmosphere that really engulfs the viewer.

It fulfilled my childhood fantasy that my home is the planet Earth and was divided into fifty states

Very Kafkaesque

What a wrong and stupid observation

I agree that the movie doesn't have to be read as a Bible story. It has lots of other things going on

Won't win any awards now that Weinstein can't buy off voters anymore.

It's refreshing to see Javier Bardon after he did Pirates carrebiean. Ed Harris was a good creepy old guy as always.
It's a little odd to see JLaws as madam of the house

Eh...I always thought man's relation to God is that of a son and a father...

Why aren't the Adam character the son of the God guy and why is the Eva character older than the "mother"? And who is that baby??? It's not Jesus right??

Granny's peach tea

Absolutely terrifying. I left the theatre trembling, mortified and shook. I penned a letter to my local library in support if science shortly thereafter

Do you support the controversial theory of Global Warming?

It was a tad lovecraftian

WEB-DL when ?

Why are Adam and Eva so old?
...where could humans go?

schnapps

it was symbolic of..nothing