Anyone remember Disney’s Dinosaur? How popular was it when it came out?

Anyone remember Disney’s Dinosaur? How popular was it when it came out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W-66V2u_1Z8
youtube.com/watch?v=vVPEh7_k5tc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, I vaguely remember liking it. But that being said, I fucking loved dinosaurs when I was a kid, and liked everything with a dinosaur in it. Don't know how popular it was, I was a kid.

strange in how i remember more of the product spin-offs from it like free dino spoons in kellogs cereal, green and yell snack pack puddings, other weird shit

Wasn't popular at all.

Surprising. First five minutes were pure kino, spoiled by generic plot but had stunning visuals and score.

I remember having some kind of chess pc game and some of the figures.

>Anyone remember Disney’s Dinosaur?
now I do

i remember the little prerendered "adventure game" that was on the dvd really spooked me out.

the themepark ride is pure kino

IIRC it was advertised as if it has no dialogue like a docu-drama and people were disappointed when they saw it

I watched it as a kid when I would have watched any piece of shit with dinosaurs in it. I can't remember shit other than the carnosaurs looking very menacing.

I remember when I was little, I had two of the Carnotaurus figures where you push the legs and the jaw moves. Pretty sure I sold them both two moths ago at a car boot sale with most of my old dinosaur toys.

actually kinda comfy looking back on it youtube.com/watch?v=W-66V2u_1Z8

I remember being scared on that ride and they take a picture right at the scary part so you look like an idiot

>its the same thing
>but awful

Should’ve stuck to the docudrama format. Had the visuals and music to justify losing dialogue.

WAKE UP PEOPLE! DINOSAURS ARE NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN REAL! ALL "EVIDENCE WAS FABRICATED TO BREAK OUR FAITH IN THE ALMIGHTY!

It was incredibly dull, but the opening sequence was used to showcase the quality of your home theater.

It pisses me off that we'll never get an update to Walking With Dinosaurs documentary series with state of the art special effects

I remember loving this movie but being extremely scared of the Carnotaurus.

The concept for the film was originally conceived by Paul Verhoeven and Phil Tippett in 1988 and was pitched as a stop-motion animated film with the title Dinosaurs. The film's original main protagonist was a Styracosaurus named Woot and the main antagonist was originally a Tyrannosaurus rex named Grozni, with a small mammal named Suri as a supporting character.

The film was originally going to be much darker and violent in tone, in a style akin to a nature documentary. After Woot defeats Grozni in a final fight, the film would end with the Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event, which would ultimately result in the deaths of the main dinosaur characters. Paul Verhoeven and Phil Tippett pitched the idea to Disney, only to have the idea for the film shelved away with the onset of the Disney Renaissance until the mid-1990s. Then-Disney CEO Michael Eisner, seeing the success of Pixar's first feature film Toy Story, suggested discarding the original script for the film and using computer animation as opposed to stop-motion.

Verhoeven and Tippett were removed from the project with Ralph Zondag and Eric Leighton assuming the roles of directors. The new script had an Iguanodon named Noah as the protagonist with a lemur companion named Adam, and a group of Carnotaurus as well as a rival Iguanodon named Cain playing the antagonists. The story dealt with Noah, who had the ability to see visions of the future, foreseeing the coming of an asteroid and struggling to guide a herd of other dinosaurs to safety. Further into production, Noah, Cain and Adam were renamed Aladar, Kron and Zini, and certain aspects of the story were altered further into what was later seen in the final product.

The opening couple scenes before the dinosaurs start talking are really cool, and going back and watching them I 100% didn't remember the practical/photoreal background locations. I'd thought the whole film was CGI.

youtube.com/watch?v=vVPEh7_k5tc

How the fuck am I seeing all this shit with Dinosaurs tonight, what's going on for everyone else to think about dinosaurs, it's the only thing I've been thinking about on my way back home.

Who remembers those eggs with the little dinos inside, the eggs smelt so fucking weird.

I found a pic of it.

it's pretty dumb but the soundtrack is incredible

Late 90s baby here
I absolutely loved this film as a child

I worked in a cinema when it was released. There was an actual buzz about it when they attached the opening scene to another movie as a teaser trailer. People seemed generally hyped about a dinosaur movie that played out without dialog. Then the second trailer hit where they talked and everybody stopped giving a shit.

I love that movie. The soundtrack score is fucking amazing.

It had hype arround it mostly beacuse it had a big marketing campagin, most of the movies of that era are now ino the oblivion (Brother Bear, Fantasia 2000 or that horrible cow movie) but Dinosaur was specially forgotten. I watched it when I was in college, but the general concensus was about how the movie feels like a big budget remake of The Land Before Time.

And The Land Before Time was A LOT better.

The cave scene with the Carnotaurs is still creepy as fuck, wish they had more figures of them.

Was the Carnotaurus in the opening scene one of these two?

> Grozni
> Grozny

I wish Tippet had his way though, Carnotaur was stop-mokino

I don't think they ever addressed that, but it's certainly possible since Aladar swam from an island back to the mainland.

It had a pretty fantastic Collector's Edition DVD with looots of great stuff.

The Carnotaurs looked like demons.

The only thing I remember about this was the amazing McDonald's toys

You where missing out.

>that score
oh man thats some good shit

Same senpai. i dont remember it having a big toy line or anything but my mom did buy me a PC game based off it that had RPG mechanics

Disney Dinosaur >>>>> Ice Age > Pixar Dinosaur

baka stealing the thunder of my dinotopia thread

I liked it.
Based on my memory, it seems disappointing in retrospect. Opening is decent. Then there's that weird crossing the ocean shit. Then they're in an uninspired environment for most of the film. Then the ending is a bore.

Tons of marketing and advertising, all pretty much gunning on it having the 'most realistic CGI ever'. Also Dinosaurs were still popular back then.
I do remember having the GBC game for it, and I remember it being pretty good too.

popular enough to get mcdonalds toys and advertisement plastered on everything.

FUCK DUDE

I Spent so much time playing this exact minigame

>darth maul

I had the brachiosaurus when I was a kid. I attempted to deepthroat its head and neck one time and almost threw up.

I remember a giant egg toy that probably resembled the beginning of the movie where the protagonist dinosaur hatches. It had a very thin latex membrane on top that the baby would pierce when it hatched. I don't think it was replaceable. Very strange.