What's the thought process behind "the prequels were shit but I liked The Force Awakens"?

What's the thought process behind "the prequels were shit but I liked The Force Awakens"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rTt96XbxMHs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

shill, numale, underage trying to catch the SW wagon

Prequels: cringy dialogue, horrible pacing, annoying Jar Jar, plot was terribly executed and it didnt make a whole lot of sense

TFA: funny dialogue, great pacing, plot was too easy but pretty straightforward and made sense

>Prequels:didnt make a whole lot of sense
>TFA: funny dialogue
>made sense

>great pacing
ADHD pacing is not great pacing, JJ.

who talks first, you talk or i talk?

>$0.02 have been deposited in your account

The moment the movie went to shit.

hating white male protagonists aka kikes

TFA may be nothing special, but at least it looks good.

"I'm a nostalgia whore who buys into hype and marketing"

That looks good though. CG is great for 2002 and the colors are appealing and tonally appropriate.

Why did Episode II have the worst CGI? Did it also have the most?

Forgot to add that
clone design>>>>>ducktrooper design

The Prequels and TFA are both bad.
But the Prequels are offensively bad while TFA is just bad in the way that most blockbusters are bad.
The Prequels are bad like the Hobbit trilogy is bad. TFA is bad like any other Marvel movie

the same people who unironically watch capeshit

>Why did Episode II have the worst CGI?
Shot on primitive digital unlike TPM and the CG artists had to work with that in mind.

Did it also have the most?
RotS had more but it looked a bit better because the camera tech improved as had CG.

But the Hobbit trilogy is much better than TFA, flawed as they are.

The CG may be fine for 2002, but it's not 2002 anymore. There's not reason the clones in this scene couldn't have been real costumes enhanced with CG.

I'll take a duck trooper over Remember Boba Fett??? He's the first stormtrooper!!

>I'll take a duck trooper over Remember Boba Fett???
You'd take a bad design over a good one?

>There's not reason the clones in this scene couldn't have been real costumes enhanced with CG.
They all had to be the exact same height.

Nothing finn did made any sense

>But the Hobbit trilogy is much better than TFA, flawed as they are.

I'm objectively correct.

What didn't you understand?

Just being a huge pleb.
>I prefer a commercial product assembled by business people that imitates its predecessor to an ambitious creative epic with some genuinely outstanding performances, characters, set pieces, and unique atmosphere, that happens to have a poor performance from the central character and some quite awkward dialogue and romance.

That's literally what you have to rationalize to believe TFA>Prequels.

Ian McDiarmid alone is better than anything in TFA multiplied tenfold.

I think the biggest difference is that the prequels give the audience time to ruminate on their stupidity, whereas TFA never really lets go of its briskness.

The plot/character familiarity may also be a factor, though the prequels had that as well to a lesser extent.

Star Wars TFA is a competently made high budget generic sci-fi (because they forgot the fantasy) that people feel they should like because it's Star Wars.

>competently made
hell no
The script is lazy as hell. As is the visual design.

Opinions aside I'm really concerned about how much work was put into this.

Its been discussed Ad nauseam since tfa came out. You know exactly what all the issues with him were. If you're happy to turn your brain off, fair enough.

>I just don't wanna be bored

That's it.

I know the issues and I agree with a lot of them.
However, you didn't say that Finn was a flawed character that was poorly executed. You said you didn't understand him.
There's a difference.

Sheev in TPM is a character that cannot be understood.
For example, he creates the Naboo crisis to discredit the current Chancellor and promote himself with pity votes.
But then he tries to kill the Senates representatives? Shouldn't he want the Jedi to see the Trade Federations crimes and report back?
Why does he want Padme to sign the treaty making the invasion "legal" when he is strictly benefited from an illegal invasion?
Why does he send Maul to go kill Padme and the Jedi when having Padme plead to the Senate about how incompetent Valorum is exactly what he needs happen? Why does he reveal the Sith's existence to the Jedi for something so counterproductive?

Sheev is a character that just doesn't make sense.
Finn is poorly made, but at least he works on a basic level
There's a huge difference.

They really really wanted it to be the second coming of Star Wars. Like "I was there for the originals" type moment.

The movie ended up being shit, but that desire for a new generation to experience that moment caused incredible levels of denial.

Both are flawed but both have cool shit in them. Kylo is cool, and Snoke is interesting. Kind of excited for the new trilogy coming out. Which is probably going to be Old Republic with Revan and Snoke as the bad guy to explain his origins like the prequels did for Palpy. I'm satisfied with this new Star Wars shit, just wish the main characters we're getting weren't so lame.

you're not this dense for real are you? why are you questioning sheev for his two-faced actions when the whole point of his character is to be two-faced? He controls what and how much info both sides get just enough to get his plot running

>Sheev is a character that just doesn't make sense.
>Finn is poorly made, but at least he works on a basic level
I don't see the difference between poorly made and poorly made.

Also ANH is full of plotholes too.
>inb4 they were going to wait and get it on the surface
They straight up say that they don't shoot only because there are no life forms aboard.

I don't remember this scene, what part is it from?

>Why does he want Padme to sign the treaty making the invasion "legal" when he is strictly benefited from an illegal invasion?
>Why does he send Maul to go kill Padme and the Jedi when having Padme plead to the Senate about how incompetent Valorum is exactly what he needs happen?
Mate, the original plan was for the legalization of this clearly fucked up thing to further erode confidence in Valorum.
When things change, Sheev adapts.

You are dumb as rocks.

A New Hope, right after C3P-O and R2-D2 got off the ship in the beginning.

>But then he tries to kill the Senates representatives?
They aren't the senate's representatives...

Ah yes, thanks. Yeah idk why they didn't shoot it, maybe they are just lazy or firing blasters is expensive, or they were busy doing something else. In all honesty though, when it comes to Star Wars and the whole Force thing I accept the plot armor and "destiny" as a valid explanation for some plot holes. Like how the Force itself makes all the dumb stuff happen because "it" requires that stuff to happen to fulfill the prophecy or whatever.

Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie since Empire.

youtube.com/watch?v=rTt96XbxMHs
Sheev's plan was great, but the prequels are just poor at explaining it.
Lucas is a decent writer with a gift of a world in his head, but a mediocre director.

But Return of The Jedi is better than Empire.

>but the prequels are just poor at explaining it.
Depends on what you mean by poor.
The info is all there to piece together, it's just not always in your face.

>Original trilogy
Inventive space adventure with solid and simple world building. Overrated but still very enjoyable.

>Prequels
Failed attempt to make established IP more political. Awkward acting, awkward writing and over the top action hardly blend even in a ‘so bad it’s good’ kinda way, but has it’s share of good scenes.

>Disney Wars
Feels very synthetic despite all the silly quips and intense emotional climaxes. Very obviously reliant on nostalgia and the audience suffers for it.

>the audience suffers for it.
All the normies I've discussed TFA with seemed to love it.

>failed
explain

I realize that Plinkett is right about Qui-Gon, but I still like the guy.

General the demographic that says this are the 40 somethings. They didn't appreciate the juvenile flavor of the prequels, but loved the originals. Seeing as how the Force Awakens was a New Hope recycled, they liked the flavor and the faster paced action.

Experienced actors can salvage terrible dialogue. It's the same deal with Christopher Lee and Ian Mcdiarmid.

>I realize that Plinkett is right about Qui-Gon
He's not though.
Qui-Gon is easily definable using his criteria

>wise and softspoken but a bit of a maverick and prone to making decisions that can seem undeliberated on and unwise to others
The ballback meme is to just go
>yeah b-buh he's boring so there
thereby moving the goalposts

And Alec Guinness. End the meme that ANH has a good script.

Replace “the audience” with “me and my friends” then.

Good old Jorge wanted to make Star Wars’ political landscape more grey than black and white but when you zoom out it ultimately boils down to good vs bad again. Anakin was the only character with questionable methods that broke the taboos of the stereotypically good Jedi characters and he ends up becoming a literal child killer by the end of it. There’s no space for intrigue, no space for arguing what means are worth what ends, just a good guy becoming the ultimate bad guy for the flimsiest of emotional reasons.

bandwagoner

>for the flimsiest of emotional reasons.
Disagree.
Emotions are too personal to be locked into a value judgement in that way.

What if I like all three trilogies?

The prequels were god awful on their face. Acting, visuals, pacing. Just a lot of people sitting and talking and then over-choreographed action scenes.

Taken on its own, TFA mostly works as a movie. It only sucks if you think about certain aspects of it a lot, and those require the context of the other movies. JJ doesn't care about that because he specializes in normie-bait.

Because TFA is a well made film, the prequels are terrible in almost all regards.

I know we all try to act like we have solid arguments for why we like some things and why we don't like other things, but the truth is, either you like something or you don't and the rest is just trying to justify it to yourself or to others. If I need to justify it, I PROBABLY liked the force awakens because it was a star wars movie, it was competently made, it was nicely paced and I saw it ONCE in a movie theater.

>and then over-choreographed action scenes.
Compared to what?
The ESB duel was "over" choreographed compared to the ANH duel.

Was this crap actually in the film? Embarrassing

>pacing.
see

TFA, Yeah like the OT. Fun.

When Lucas said the prequels were going to be more "serious" I was like cool. Then 10 minutes in Jar Jar pops up like Howard the Grating Duck saying, "Exsqueeeeze me?" Serious, you say, George! Serious? Me thinking be more like Yahoo Serious.

Not many people are willing to unleash galaxy wide warfare, bend the knee to an obviously evil fascist dictatorship and kill children in the hope of a partner avoiding death for a few more years. I appreciate what Lucas was going for but Anakin’s motives for fucking the universe up were so tiny that it’s almost comical.

It wasnt even a star wars movie

Again, disagree.
Emotional pain is not quantifiable in the Plinkett-everything-can-be-quantified-and-given-a-score-from-bad-to-good-quality sense.

Nothing interesting happens: the film.

yeah,autism makes you very productive,no shit.

Anakin had his waifu and he was going to unleash hell itself if that was what it took to keep her.
It's a basic classical tragedy arc.

>. It only sucks if you think
Pretty accurate

It was a "Story". Kek. So, it might not be true.

Are you saying that a movie is immune to criticism and analysis as long as characters have emotional motives?

>we will never get any Old Republic era films ever

Is that how theyll end up retconning the han solo story?

Prequels>OT
even Caspare knew this

>interstellar is plebeian
please spaghettify yourself

the prequels were a pure vision
nu-star wars is nothing but engineered in a lap test tube baby bullshit

They'll happen. They'll just end up being garbage though.

Sometimes being a Star Wars fan feels like masochism
>that thing we made was too good, we have to make it shittier

No, see, what i'm saying is that what you're doing doesn't work.

Movies are made to emotionally effect the viewer. That's cinema.

The most you can objectively talk about is technical proficiency.
There is no objectively good or objectively bad. Only technically good and technically bad.
And that is not an evaluation of how much something made you feel because that is- yes, ENTIRELY subjective.

We need to rethink the way we talk about movies, and art in general IMO.

I can't accept that the original trilogy is on the same tier as >dullest franchise

why are they wearing moisture farmer robes?

kek Interstellar should be in the dictionary entries for bother plebeian and fedora

Why are these guys?

>who talks first, you talk or i talk?
who woks first?

why aren't you?

hmmm, this post is activating my synapses (unironically). So perhaps the better criticism is that Christensen failed to sell Anakin's emotional pain and character development, rather than the writing being bad. I'm not sure about that though.

For me it's originality.

you can see the new trilogy doesn't offer something new, it's plain fanservice and soft reboot.

Liking the prequels is at least accepting that it put something new on the table

>is that Christensen failed to sell Anakin's emotional pain and character development
And that is where we disagree.

It's called c o n t e x t

Just play the old games or read the books. Fuck disney.

>Be Obi-Wan, most wanted Jedi in the galaxy
>Have to make the decision to go into hiding far from the empire's reach
>Decide to go to Tatooine, the home planet of the guy you're hiding from
>Also take one of his kids with me as well as his step-brother
>Decide not to rename him, surely a name like Skywalker will go unnoticed on Tatooine
>Make no effort to conceal myself, wearing the same jedi robes I always wore

It's just as dumb without the PT though.
see

Are you a nigger?

let me rephrase then. why was uncle owen wearing jedi robes?

Lmao brah just turn your brain off

Interstellar is scientifically interesting but emotionally puddle deep. Although I have a feeling you'd probably rate 2001 as a flick.