What the fuck was his problem?

What the fuck was his problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

texasmonthly.com/articles/honor-thy-father/
youtube.com/watch?v=4e9v_Gfmq1g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Workaholic with narcissistic tendencies, drunk wife, one of his kids is a brat etc

>one of his kids is a direct product of a bad father and drunk mother
FTFY

His other kid didn't do much better desu

He tried way too hard to be alpha

yet Olga was a concert pianist and in a top college

really makes you think

What's wrong with being an emotional overachiever?

This show was pretty damn depressing at times

>that Christmas episode

Pataki was a fucking pager salesman.

He had too many beepers to think about.

>When you oversaturated the environment
with soo much testosterone that your daughter becames a boy

Her quivering girlhood says otherwise.

well exposure to high levels of testosterone can cause puberty to start early, so...

Because they actually raised Olga well. Helga got the opposite, she was ignored and they didn't encourage her at all since they were focusing entirely on Olga.

Holy shit why is Olga drawn so pretty for no reason

Better to have one winner and one loser than two middling dipshits.

>What the fuck was his problem?
fuck off back to Sup Forums

Wouldn't it be better to have two winners?

>Big Bob's Beepers

They're broke now, eh?

Who knows. He's mentally, verbally, and emotionally abusive throughout the series. Helga literally gets gaslit throughout the show (to the point where her resigned mother defers to blaming Helga for objecting to her dad's behavior rather than confronting Bob... etc.) I would argue that he probably had a similar upbringing. My family was similar to this, except I was in Olga's position. Olga didn't really do better than Helga - she values herself only so much as she tangibly achieve.

yeah that kinda dates the show,and everytime he says "i got a beeper empire to take care of" it just brings the realization that he got fucked

Helga had a mongoloid skull shape. Any first year phrenology student could tell you she was doomed. Her parents correctly identified her as a lost cause early on.

i do love how the final episode about him basically ended with helga saying "dad,youre an asshole,but i love you" and they all had dinner together.
the most fucked up thing about it is that its probably the best ending they could have given their situation

Adulthood just couldn't live up to elementary school.

nah, he sold it to some irish guy

If you're in any given medical field or some sort of infrastructure-type job, a lot of places still use pagers, they can take a beating, have a network that's easier to manage than getting someone's number, and are always on with a huge battery capacity, so it prevents the shittiest of workers from turning their phones off and pretending they were """busy""" or saying the """battery died"""

If Bob was smart, he probably sold his entire stock to some interested medical company the moment cell phones evolved from the heavy Nokia crap it once was

Olga looks like Miriam; Helga looks like Bob.

He probably just diversified into phones as well; beepers do still have their uses though so he might have kept the name.

I don't know why people say this. A shitton of those just went into selling cell phones.

Craig Bartlett confirmed that Bob went into cell phones when the change happened, at least, according to Frederator's 107 Facts.

He didn't even need to. Big Bob made a few passing mentions of cell phones in the show itself. It just wasn't his primary product at the time.

as mention, Bob also sold Cell Phones and would focus more on them as they became more common(I bet he never entirely gave up on beepers though)

texasmonthly.com/articles/honor-thy-father/

Beepers are still used in hospitals, dumbass. Fast, cheap, no interference, practical. You can't wait for whataspp to send that message while Mr. Woodward's vitals are going ballistic.

He has a small dick

Wasn't Olga pretty much perfect in every regard?

Get off the internet Bob.

>Because they actually raised Olga well.
Being a completely neurotic wreck who has breakdowns over the tiniest failures hardly qualifies as "well".

She was an emotional mess who would crumble into crippling depression if she failed to be perfect even once.

>phrenology
How's it feel to believe in a fake science?

youtube.com/watch?v=4e9v_Gfmq1g

weren't there a few episodes in the later seasons where you actually see bob using a cell phone as well?

And she was self aware about it too

>"You don't know what it's like, basically being a wind-up doll for your own parents. You're lucky they don't even notice you..."

a loser will live in your basement until they are 30

I would rather have a two kids out of the house

I miss Duke

Hey, Helga might not have happened to take up an instrument by elementary school, but her aptitude test score established that she was definitely going places, and is probably going to end up in a good college herself. She even had the opportunity and ability to win the same spelling bee that kickstarted Olga's overachievement streak and follow exactly in her footsteps, but chose not to.

Didn't she also tell Olga to fuck off to Alaska and never come home again, and Olga did so just to make her happy?

>You're lucky they don't even notice you

Yeah, nothing bad will come out from telling that to your little sister

>no reason
It's to visually help you understand Helga's perspective that Olga is perfect and better than her in every way. That and I think a lot of it is just Olga cleaning up well: makeup, trendy hairstyle, cute clothes. Take it all away and give her a different personality that gives less of a shit and she'd be a younger Miriam.

Olga actually got the worse deal, she'll never be her own person and will live her entire life confined to the successes at things you can be taught.

as in, she will only be good at things that can be mastered entirely from a book or teacher, she will never exceed the bounds in any field and do something new.

Helga, however, was left alone, which is crippling in the moment, but allows her to become her own person and develop self-sufficient resources, this would make her much more intelligent in the long run (which the show heavily heavily hints at, with her being the most introspective character on the entire show) and thus she can become her own person.

*tips pink bow begrudgingly*

If Bob had a fucking empire why Helga wasn't rich?
Why was she in a public shool?

He reminded me of my dad so I didn't think he was that weird

You know that Olga would come back eventually anyway, but yeah, I think I recall that happening.

Because he blew a bunch of money on random useless crap for himself.

Yes, he also has one in the movie.

being rich and running a successful business are two completely different things. Bob basically ran his little corporation single handedly and most of his money was tied up in liquid assets.

all those smoothies ain't cheap

and he was putting the superior kid through college

There are plenty of other situations that that could go wrong in, but it always struck me as exactly what Helga needed to hear at the time. It probably did her more good than harm to learn that she actually had something that Olga envied instead of just the other way around.

You don't manage a major business without knowing when to diversify. Bob's probably selling every fucking cell-phone accessory you could think of at this point.

Hyperbole, or private school is just out of reach, or maybe he doesn't care that much about Helga

And other trendy things for hipsters, like faux-leather bracelets, ironic pin-on buttons, and big water bottles

>drinking water makes you a hipster
what?

>tfw he reminds me of my dad

he mellowed out after retiring though, i think being a workaholic has something to do with it

>why Helga wasn't rich?
She was. She was probably one of the wealthier kids in the show. She lived in her own big nice house in a good neighborhood that probably had high property values and Bob was constantly buying fancy expensive shit, not to mention probably shelling out Olga's tuition for college and all kinds of other expenses she'd rack up. Bob strikes me as the type that would send his kids to public school even if he could afford private school because "I don't want no kid of mine turning out to be a namby pamby private school sissy" and "if public was good enough for me, it'll be good enough for you." Also there's the whole ignoring Helga aspect: like the preschool flashback where nobody could be bothered to even take her to school that day.

The real mystery is why Rhonda didn't go to private school.

I wanna fug Olga

didn't rhonda want to go to public school?

drinking water doesn't make you a hipster, dressing like a faggot, carrying a colorful bottle and taking a sip everytime someone looks at you does.
You need to get a better grip of social behaviours son.

Yes

He was a a realistic father with flaws, unlike the fake ideal parents you'd see in other cartoons.

>Yahoo soda. Just drink it.

This user friggin understands. "I bought this mason jar so I could use it as a water bottle. Did you know that can use them to make jams and preserve stuff? Not that I know how to do that"

I think I remember a scene where she complains about wanting to go to a private school because of whatever drama is going on in the episode, but her dad gives her some bullshit excuse for having to go to public. I can't recall most of the scene though.

When she gets her first taste of actual failure there is a good chance she will crash and burn.

It already happened. Twice.

Pretty sure Olga's first appearance or something was because she was failing college.

Likely not remembering right.

She had all As and Helga changed one of them to a B.

You might be thinking of That 70s Show instead since Laurie was failing college and was trying to hide that from Red.

He only ever wanted one child. Helga was an accident.

I'm pretty sure the Big Sis and Bob's Crisis episodes happened after she went to Alaska.

>TFW your dad growing up was Big Bob in all ways including stature and voice

We stopped talking for like 6 years.

Olga made the marriage work, weres Helga is just a baggage.