Can we have a serious discussion about what went wrong here?

Can we have a serious discussion about what went wrong here?

it wasn't that bad

Looks like nothing went wrong

Its an episode that completely fucks up the pacing that the show was making for 6 episodes.

Its also an episode that has little to no connection to the main plot and has the least amount of characters we know.

Pakis are gross

>those hype review scores putting s2 way over s1

Delusional. First season was miles better.

>Does nothing for 11's story

>Season 1 of Eleven has her killing dozens of people. Lets pretend thats fucking normal why dont we?

Sure, they were bad men, but killing is still something that fucks with your psyche - it's an evil deed, and a lot to deal with, especially as a child. Of course this is softened a ton by the fact that they were evil men she killed, but still - this leave her in a crossroads of how she wants to handle her powers. Does she wants to grow up using her powers to fight these evil men and kill? Or use her powers to defend?

We see her at the beginning of season 2 alone and isolated in Hopper's cabin. She trusts Hopper but we see that trust falter and she reacts with violence and anger, a violent temper tantrum.

Where does she belong? Papa is gone and she escaped the lab, so where is home now? So does she just live with Hopper now? Even though he breaks his promises just like Papa? Her time at Kali's makes her learn that Hopper's not like Papa, and that people who are manipulative and agressive and violent, like Papa and Kali, should be avoided, and isn't what she wants. She realizes what she had with Hopper, and what she has with Mike and her friends. She'll wait if Hopper tells her too - but now, her friends need her, and she'll sacrifice her own safety for them. This is all that she learned during her time away. She isn't going to learn that from her mother. She learned it from a journey that brought her across states and emotions

1. They didnt need a whole episode dedicated to this.

2. Why didnt this happen in a earlier episode. It cuts right into the main story where thing is going at 80mph and the 7th episode grinds the momentum to a fucking halt.

3. The actors were shit, their portrayel of some downtown LA gutter punks was just comical.

4. Complete change of tone, which ties in with point 2.

5. Obvious ethnic actor quota.

1. I think the length of an entire episode is perfect for a full story like this. Imagine having the Kali shit seeping throughout the rest of the show? The pacing would be off, first of all, because we needed a few episodes of her with Hopper. There was no time in the season for it except in one episode. And since it's a huge character development, it makes good use of the time

2. Why would it happen in an earlier episode? I think the fact that we can watch all episodes immediately makes this point moot. So things were getting exciting, this just extends that excitement - ONE extra HOUR. Imagine if it was a Season Finale? I don't understand this complaint. That "momentum" picks right back up again where it left off from episode 6...

3. Actors were cartoony but I felt this works to make it less like a regular show and more like you're reminded this is just a shade of a type of nostalgia

4. Tone fit just fine for me to be honest

5. No

I still haven't watched season 2 but apparently it goes full on Heroes, so that makes me pretty anxious to dive in.

faggot

For what reason? Not watching it yet, or thinking that Heroes was bad?

"Actors were shit and characters were ridiculously over the top but I think that's good"

>I think the fact that we can watch all episodes immediately makes this point moot.
On the contrary, the fact that you can watch all episodes in one sitting makes this point even stronger. It kills the flow of the show so abruptly in a manner similar to your once a week TV series when it doesn't have to.
>That momentum picks up right back up again...
No, the story picks up, the flow is just gone.

While I agree in general that the episode felt awkward and out of place, I really don't know where else they could have put it. I also feel like it was there to kind of leave open some possibilities for the future of the show. There is obviously going to be more with Kali. And I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce some more people like eleven. Maybe even a season in which a person with powers is the big bad guy.

Am I seriously the only one who found Kali cute as fuck. I would love to eat her curry flavored pussy

Yes, she had a mustache

only the 7th episode. You can skip that. You wont miss a single thing.

>So things were getting exciting, this just extends that excitement - ONE extra HOUR. Imagine if it was a Season Finale?
You dont understand pacing. Like at all do you?

>Why would it happen in an earlier episode? I think the fact that we can watch all episodes immediately makes this point moot.
No it doesnt you. Everyone binge watch these sort of shows. The creators, directors and netflix knows that. You are most likely going to see the show in 2 or 3 sittings. Slapping that slog of an episode in the middle of two episodes that has really strng forward momentum just makes it worse, ESPECIALLY considering the nature of binge watching which this show is pretty much made for.

>4. Tone fit just fine for me to be honest
It felt like a cheap spinoff marvel tv show compared to the rest of the show. Even the production design was obviously worse.

>5. No
Yeah. Considering how this episode does not tie in at all with the main plot (You cannot refute this. Take this episode out and nobody would have ever noticed, thats how inconsequential it is), it's something that was obviously tacked on later as filler and to add some minorities to the show. The opening scene in the first episode does also not tie inn with the main story.

Yea this is a good point. It was shoved in to give an "expanded universe" to stranger things.

They can't just keep doing "demogorgons invading hawkins" over and over.

Yeah I know, but still. Something about her....

make your own opinions, watch it and see for yourself what its like.