GUILTY PLEASURE THREAD

Post comics or cartoons that Sup Forums consistently despises that you for some reason or another really enjoy. I'll start with something easy.

>Wanted by Mark Millar
Easily some of the edgiest writing I've ever seen in six issues but it was visually entertaining and it's obvious it was made with purpose. I don't agree with a lot of the character progression that occurs but god damn do I still think it's a fun story.

People hate Wanted for the most retarded reasons.

I consider Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk to be my favorite set of issues out of the entire Ultimate Marvel Universe aside from Ultimate Spider-Man. These six issues only slightly edge out over Millar Ultimates.

Part of what makes it so entertaining is that every issue subverts expectations and takes the story in experimental directions thay may not appease action junkies. It's not for everyone and the back half is definitely the weirder of the issues but still great.

>Breaking adamantium

Beyond stupid

I have read very little of the ultimate universe, but didn't ultimate Wolverine not have an adamantium skeleton?

I can understand some of the dislike but the way some people talk about it you'd think the book personally wronged them in some way.

My understanding is that he was severed directly at an intersecting point so technically his spine is undamaged, just separated. Also if you think that's stupid you would HATE the rest of the comic. Wolverine's powers are ratched up to insane levels.

I think he had the skeleton coated, but the connecting points in his spinal column and other joints weren't. Then again I could be completely and utterly wrong.

>Spider-Man by Slott
I'm not going to say the series is well written. You will never ever ever ever ever get those words to come out of my mouth (I have a couple images saved to remind me how bad Slott is). With that out of the way, I love his stories and find him a highly entertaining writer. The thing about Slott is that each story successively builds on the preceding one. He has continuiously upped the stakes the longer he's stayed on and every major event fully takes advantage of the surrounding context.

You couldn't have Spider-Island without Big Time. You couldn't have Superior without Ends of the Earth. You couldn't have Spider-Verse without the Superior Time Travel Shenanigans THAT WERE SHOWN!!!! And you couldn't have Clone Conspiracy without EVERYTHING that came before!!! He knows how to lay the groundwork for his stories in ways few writers ever fully grasp. He jams as much content as feasible in his comic pages to ensure you never leave bitter the story didn't progress.

Wanted is the only comic that manages to be worse than the movie.

>I can understand some of the dislike but the way some people talk about it you'd think the book personally wronged them in some way.

Most of what I have seen is them not really understanding that the comic is about a fucking villain's origin story.

They act like Millar is writing this with a straight face.

I agree that the book was worse than the movie but I think I still would have liked to have seen a close adaptation of the source material. They don't have to go as gritty as the comic did but I love the idea of a fraternity of Super-Criminals that rewrote reality cause they won. I WANTED TO SEE THAT!

>Most of what I have seen is them not really understanding that the comic is about a fucking villain's origin story.

>Most of what I have seen is them not really understanding that the comic is about a fucking villain's origin story.
>They act like Millar is writing this with a straight face.
I think this is probably the best description of the situation I've ever seen. Well said.

>Moon Knight - Bendis
I loved the Huston and Hurwitz runs that came before, but I appreciate that Bendis decided to do his own thing with the character. It didn't exactly work out as well as intended but I loved the fact that Moon Knight's main antagonist in this book was Count Nefaria, an Avengers Tier villain, and it managed to realistically portray how an interaction between them would go. Moon Knight getting fucked up and Nefair embarassed to all hell.

Maleev was on point with many of the layouts and while not his sharpest writing, Bendis provided clear direction for the characters and relationships that he planned on building. Probably the Black SHeep of Moon Knight titles but that don't stop me one bit from enjoying it.

I love what Bendis did with The Sentry in Dark Avengers. Basically he had the powers of a God and more/less had to trick himself into dying by Thors Lightning when it had been established the void could literally regenerate faster than the sun could disintegrate him

Kingsmen.

Nah, the movie had no backbone to it.

No shame. And I'm purposely talking Chosen. Not the repackaged American Jesus. THe original series starts with an earnest premise and ends in truly spectacular fashion. The original unedited dialog is a treat to behold simply because it got past the editors.

I feel like the re-edited last panel of dialogue works better for Millar's idea of making a sequel.

What do you mean?

The movie makes better use of the coming of age aspects than the movie does, which mainly reinforces spectacle.

The comic makes better use*

>but it was visually entertaining
Was it? Looks like standard comic action to me.

Jesus it's like you people just look for things to be unhappy about or disagree over.

(OP)

I would have to classify the entirety of the Kick-Ass Trilogy.
Painfully edgy action scenes, Shitty and some how even edgier dialogue, and stagnant characters.
But for some god forsaken reason I just love watching Dave's journey. It's a fun little fuck up, that'll never not get a laugh out of me.

Same.
Especially 1 and 3.

It's just this insane story about psychopaths who think they can be heroes.

Kick-Ass 2 would have been 1000x better if they had used the "rape" scene from the movie.

Kick-Ass 2 the movie really did capture the humor from the 1st and 3rd better than the actual comic did.

Fuck, every new line from Carrey's portrayal of the General was awesome.

I loved Kick-Ass. I felt the first arc was great, the second stagnated at little, but the third arc and Mindy's side adventure more than rounds out the Kick-Ass Universe. And the fact that it operates in the Millar Multiverse makes it that much cooler in my eyes.

Also can anyone explain the Millar Multiverse to me? From My Understanding its -

>Universe 1 -
Jupiter's Circle, Wanted, Kick-Ass, Superior, Nemesis, American Jesus, Marvel 1985, MPH, Secret Service, Starlight, Empress

>Universe 2 -
Jupiter's Circle, Jupiter's Legacy, Supercrooks

Also I choose Nemesis by Millar as my guilty pleasure pic. I remember reading the pitch, "What if Batman was a supervillain?" and being completely intrigued lol. It's a tighly plotted four issue series that doesn't overstay it's welcome and will keep your jaw glued to the floor just for the sheer insanity of it.
The comic contains a womb rigged with explosives ready to collapse if an abortion is performed.

That's pretty much it yes.

Also, the actual hero of "Superior" exists in Universe 2.

Starlight also happened in Universe 2 in some form, as we see McQueen's suit in the Museum in the glimpse into the future.

Presumably, in a heroic universe his stories would have been accepted and lauded from the start.

90's Image

I love Larsen, McFarlane, and Liefeld

The Dark Knight Strikes Again is my guiltiest pleasure. Sue me, Sup Forums

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid

Greg is a gigantic little shit in the books and the movies I've seen in a long time until Mabel Pines came into the picture and dethroned him, he's so awful that you wish his best friend Rowley is the main character instead and is always the brightest spot in the books and films.

I don't like Slott's run at all but I do understand when people say his run is entertaining, so I'm not surprised at his book getting higher sales than the vast majority of Marvel's output these days.

It wasn't good by any means but reading Superior Spider-Man along with Sup Forums was some of the funniest shit I've ever experienced, especially the Scanbro threads. What a time to be alive that was.

My Millanigga

Absolutely zero shame. Fantastic comic. I'd go on teh record and say Miller's Entire Dark Knight Saga is fantastic. It's a unique take on Batman that is entirely Miller.

1. Batman Year One
-The Man Who Laughs
2. All Star Batman
3. Batman and Spawn
4. The Dark Knight: The Last Crusade
5. The Dark Knight Returns
6. The Dark Knight Strikes Again
7. The Dark Knight: The Master Race

>-The Man Who Laughs

Was that ever actually included or just a personal canon thing?

Universe 1:

Utopian and the others used to exist, but the supervillains all rose up to destroy them in 1985 or 1986 (can't remember right now). The villains get the help of their Mxy analogue and other things to warp time and make it so that the superheroes never became superheroes. Solomon Seltzer keeps the Utopian's cape on display secretly.

In the new Universe 1, there's no superheroes, but cracks start to show. Roscoe from MPH traveled back in time during the course of that story, and ended up in 1985 where he remained a prisoner till the present day of MPH. Also that same year Clyde Wincham unleashed the Marvel supervillains on the world. Clyde's eventually taken to the Marvel Universe (where it leads to events in Millar's Fantastic Four and Old Man Logan) It gets covered up (presumably by Control from Wanted) and Toby Goodman, the main character of 1985, eventually writes about the story as an adult, in comic book form. By the time it's published, a retailer in New York is recommending it to Chris Genovese, who eventually becomes Red Mist/The Motherfucker.

Also in the 80's American Jesus: Chosen happened. Jodie Christenson grew up thinking he was the second coming of Christ because he had all these abilities. He actually turns out to be the Anti-Christ and eventually becomes President. There's a part where he wonders why the media didn't really talk about him, but if you check Wanted, you'll know that it's because the supervillains covered it up. Also back in the original printing of Chosen where it said that Jodie was raped by Satan and his friends, Millar said on his board that the killer from The Unfunnies was supposed to be one of those friends. Of course, since the new printing of Chosen dropped those references and Millar seems to have disavowed The Unfunnies, this probably is no longer the case.

More on Universe 1:

Then Wanted happens and the villain war ends up eliminating the Utopian's and Skyfox's foes. We also learn that Utopian became like Christopher Reeve and Skyfox and his sidekick became like Adam West and Burt Ward but then got killed off in Wanted when Mr. Rictus decided to go on a rampage. So you gotta figure that reduces a lot of control, which is why you suddenly see Jupiter's Legacy and Jupiter's Circle comics published in-universe.

Not long after, Dave Lizewski becomes Kick-Ass, Damon and Mindy MacReady become Big Daddy and Hit-Girl, and it gets people to become superheroes (even if they don't match the ones in Jupiter's Legacy.

By the time Dave retires as Kick-Ass he mentions all the stuff that's been happening:

-Maniac killing Japanese cops (reaches its conclusion at the opening of Nemesis)
-Celebrity kidnappings (happens at start of Secret Service)
-Guys breaking the sound barrier (Probably means they're right in the middle of MPH's events)

While doing this he holds the door open for Simon Pooni, who has MS, and would eventually get to become Superior. It's also implied that this takes place right before Superior (which is weird considering Superior and Nemesis have different Presidents; I'm not even sure the timeline lines up right on these)

I'm not sure where Starlight, Empress, and Huck fit in although wasn't there an implied connection between what created Huck and Mother Russia from Kick-Ass 2?

>although wasn't there an implied connection between what created Huck and Mother Russia from Kick-Ass 2?

Nah, people thought that Mother Russia was the superhuman russian mentioned in MPH...but that turned out to refer to Huck's mother solely

THIS IS AMAZING! I haven't gotten a chance to read through it all but I will when I get home. Love to see the Millar Multiverse.

I believe it was referenced in All-Star Batman so I considered it canon. I also think Miller somewhat incorporated aspects of Long Halloween and Dark Victory but I'm less certain on that.

Also I love Hickman's Avengers with all my heart. No shame.

Also where does Universe 2 fit in?

It's the Universe were the villains didn't have an uprising.
For many factors.

Such as -
Solomon Seltzer's analogue is turned good by Utopian.
Skyfox becomes the world's greatest supervillain instead/ etc/

Why do people hate wanted? What are you... autistic?

Universe 2 is where the villain uprising never happened. There's also the possibility that it's Parallel 2 from Wanted but I don't believe Millar has said anything, or no one seems to have asked him. (anyone know?)

But notice what Wesley says about Parallel 2--it's two decades older than Parallel 1. Doesn't Jupiter's Legacy take place in the far future?

And the thing about Jupiter's Legacy is that they have a lot of superheroes in that universe to the point where there's very rare threats. In fact, Supercrooks take place in this universe when the number of superheroes in America increased to the point where some supervillains decide to go to Spain instead for a heist.

I don't get how anyone can like Nemesis, even ironically. The ending was some of the stupidest shit I ever read in a comic.

It was entertaining. I can forgive a lot of stupid shit if it's entertaining, especially if it's in comics, a medium I surely don't read for its high level intellectuality.

No, Wanted wasn't a great comic, but its better than a generic movie.

>a medium I surely don't read for its high level intellectuality
You're an idiot then, because there's plenty of smart comics out there.

I love the premise of Wanted, but the edginess... I can never tell for sure whether it's supposed to be like that or not - the same way I can't tell trolls from actual retards anymore because both are equally likely.

I just thought it was shitty writing. Nemesis' prep time was already stupidly ridiculous but him being just a pawn and the real mastermind planning almost every single detail years beforehand is just fucking stupid. Then again, I don't read capeshit or shit comics for a giggle that often so maybe my standards are too high.

I never said that there aren't. I said that I don't read comics, and especially cape comics, because of the intellectual stimulation. Smart comics are like the 1%, and more than half of them it's just pretentiousness masquerading as cleverness.

It's nice sometimes to read something clever. I think the last one I read is Vision. But if I read comics only for cleverness I'd read less than a tenth of what I actually read.