The difference between a pretentious filmmaker and a self aware filmmaker

youtu.be/3xHkBRtVNE0?t=1186

>I make movies at the commercial end of things
>I know it's not something the Oscars look for and it's okay
> My guiding principle is to reach a wide audience as possible

Then we have his creature.

news.avclub.com/zack-snyder-says-he-made-watchmen-to-save-it-from-the-1798266620

>I always believe the movies I've made are smarter than the way they are perceived by sort of mass culture and by the critics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BVIB9sGYeUw
youtube.com/watch?v=UD3byJxc9Vc
dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1002-Summer-2010/Screening-Room-Zack-Snyder.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=MKQKGoJjghc
youtube.com/watch?v=xu8l0q4rgcg
youtube.com/watch?v=tYScJZWhaHA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Based Nolan

the difference is that zack snyder is an idiot. they're both pretty pretentious. i don't like this trend of attributing to a deficiency in personality what could be more simply explained as stupidity.

Dumb vs Dumber

Based Nolan.

>I always believe the movies I've made are smarter than the way they are perceived by sort of mass culture and by the critics
Is literally ANYONE going to pretend this isn’t obviously, depressingly true?
Seriously?

I agree Nolan is a pretentious hack

>they're both pretty pretentious.
How is Nolan pretentious? He has admitted that his films are made for the dumb masses. He doesn't pretend his films are intelligent arthouse cinema.

I see the Snydercucks have arrived.

its funny because reading your header and seeing the pic I thought it would be the other way around. i guess staying grounded and knowing your audience limits translates into a much better product on the screen

I wonder what snyder's mindset was when he was making dawn of the dead. was he thinking 'meh i just need a generic action-horror movie that hits all the beats' because I think that was his best movie

So I guess Nolans fans are more pretentious than the man himself. I never understood why certain critics dislike him by saying "he isn't as smart as he thinks he is"

Go back to school, son.

He is pretty damn smart. But that doesn’t necessarily mean he makes strictly "smart" movies

Either you two have reading comprehension issues or You're trolling.

Nolan literally admits he makes commercial films that aren't meant for the Oscar Audience. He also admits his goal is to reach as wide an audience as possible!

You could also say his movies are (relatively) smart but he explains enough of it so much so that even the most casual of the movie going audience can understand it.

So Nolan is Spielberg and Snyder is Kubrick.

That doesn't make him a good director.

Essentially, yes

Watchmen is trash, Snyder misunderstood several key themes of the source material. He turned a deconstruction of capeshit into capeshit. Man of Steel is a horribly paced slog and all of the religious symbolism in it is film student tier. Batman v Superman is the same as MoS but worse. Dawn of the Dead is his only good film.

Snyder is more like Brett Ratner though.
Just lower the bright on your Sup Forums while watching X-Men 3 and you'd have "le ultimate kino".

>save it from the Terry Gilliams of this world

I think this is worst thing he has said in that interview. At least Terry Gilliam had the sense to know that Watchmen couldn't be properly adapted into a 3 hour or even 4 hour movie(he said it needed to be a mini series in order to do the book Justice)

That was never the point of the post was it? or do you like going off on tangents?

Has even Kubrick claimed that his movies were misunderstood? He also had films that were critically acclaimed immediately upon release.

you can make pretentious films without going for the oscar audience. it doesn't give you a pass if you just don't take the oscars that seriously.

nolan is pretty cool, I've never seen an interview w/ him

No, Kubrick never whined about critics because he wasn't an immature child. Snyder is such a fucking cuck.

This.

So you do have reading comprehension issues because that isn't the only thing he has said.

>I work at the commercial end of things
>My goal is to reach a wide audience and his guiding principle is to reach a lot of people.

He literally admits he is a commercial director working towards reaching wide audience. That as far away from pretentious as you get.

>Even at his most pedestrian or bombastic, Snyder makes a far more engaging film than Christopher Nolan ever did—because Nolan presumes to know and to show, whereas Snyder wants to see. Even his slender philosophical world seems like he’s discovering it, not delivering it.

Kubrick never talked about his films, that's why his filmography is so beloved and interpreted in different ways, because he lets the audience come up with whatever they wish.

>Watchmen is trash, Snyder misunderstood several key themes of the source material
This.

I think his mind set was "How can change George A Romero's dumb horror with no nuance or subtext into a respectable work of art?"

I would say he succeeded in his goal as well.

>How can change George A Romero's dumb horror with no nuance or subtex
This is false though, there is nuance and subtext. The zombies in Romero's movie were satirizing consumerism through the zombies and having it set in a mall.

Did Dunkirk have a needlessly complicated plot too? What an attocious filmmaker, so fucking boring

>implying George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead doesn't have any nuance or subtext
You're a fucking idiot who has gotten everything backwards. George's film is full of subtext, Snyder's film is dumb horror that doesn't have any nuance or subtext.

Umm That's Zack Snyder's movie sweety , I am sure Romero didn't put much thought into it. I mean he was a horror schlock filmmaker for fucks sake. I mean guys like him have(or had) their place but he is no Snyder!

>I think his mind set was "How can I change George A Romero's respectable work of art into dumb horror that doesn't have any nuance or subtext?"
There, I fixed your post. No need to thank me.

Nolan's way more pretentious and condescending than Zack. Here's the proof:

Regardless of how obvious it already was, Nolan always has a character mouthpiece the entirety of his themes to the audience. Always. It happens in every single film he has ever made. I look on it as an insecurity of his, a lack of faith in his audience to question, analyze, and discern for themselves. It's a failing in an otherwise great director, and a failing that is utterly absent from Zack Snyder.

>I am sure Romero didn't put much thought into it.
This has to be bait.
>I mean he was a horror schlock filmmaker for fucks sake.
Hollywood blockbuster filmmakers, like Snyder, aren't any better.

You know Nolan and Goyer wrote the script for Man of Steel, right?

no it isn't. that doesn't imply humility.

>tfw Nolan backs up based Christian Bale
Truly /Ourguys/

Snyder is guilty of the same kind of shit. Snyder's symbolism is just as heavy-handed as Nolan's mouthpieces.

Nolan just helped come up with the basic story, he didn't have any hand in writing the screenplay. Goyer is a fucking hack.

How is that pretentious in any way?
He even literally acknowledges he is trying make his films available for a wide audience, he counts that even 13 year old are watching his films. Do you even know what pretentious means?

And the ironic thing is that Snyder is actually making films that are intended specifically for comic book kids, but he ""pretends"" like those capeshit films are intended for the highest most acclaimed intellectuals of the world.

How hard is it to write a post with a cock in your mouth.

He was responsible for most of Krypton stuffs.

Like what?

That's Goyer doing, brah. Goyer wanted to show that Superman was both Old Testament and New Testament in some stupid way.

>He even literally acknowledges he is trying make his films available for a wide audience, he counts that even 13 year old are watching his films.
that doesn't prevent those films from being pretentious.

>Goyer is a fucking hack
I tried to tell people, man

Nolan wanted MoS to be more of a scifi than a superhero movie. So the whole encounter of the third kind/invansion feel of the movie came from him, including some of the ideas about how Krypton's culture work.

What a plebeian comment to make, Snyder is nothing more than an imitator, he imitates other directors styles, and abuses those styles whereas the directors who created those styles use them very discreetly, what Zack Snyder does, is what the Wachowski brothers, Robert Rodriguez and other directors have already done and they all did it way better than him, there's nothing philosophical, deep or iconic about what he does, only an entry level plebs would think so, that comment shows that you or the guy in the pic, deep down know that zack Snyder is bad but refuse to believe it, so you invent these wild theories and try to put down competent directors in the process.

>Snyder dindu nuffin! Place all of the blame on the writers!
No. Snyder could've ordered re-writes but he didn't. Snyder could've cut out some of Goyer's heavy-handed symbolism but he didn't. Snyder was the director, Snyder had creative control, so Snyder deserves most of the blame.

>Wachowski brothers, Robert Rodriguez
>not abusing of exposition

KEK.

>I would say he succeeded in his goal as well.
You're an idiot.

Snyder was a tag along in MoS. The ones controlling the boat were Nolan and Goyer. MoS only happened because of Nolan's influence.

Snyder's contribution in MoS were the fights and visual flair. That's why Nolan picked him up.

Dunkirk is blockbuster Kino. Nolans movies are elevated by that fact he's a competent director.

>The ones controlling the boat were Nolan and Goyer.
I don't know a lot about MoS's production but I know Nolan didn't have as much control as you claim. For instance, Nolan didn't want Superman to break Zod's neck but Snyder ignored Nolan. If Nolan was truly controlling the boat then Snyder would've listened to him.

>Snyder's symbolism
That kind of "symbolism" has been used in kids cartoons for years, there's nothing impressive about that, you sound like you were born yesterday.

>That kind of "symbolism" has been used in kids cartoons for years, there's nothing impressive about that
user, that's my point. I'm saying Snyder is a heavy-handed hack.

That wasn't Snyder's idea, bro, but Goyer's. Even then Goyer had to get Snyder on his side and then consult with DC editorial to settle the dispute, because Nolan would only accept if DC gave the go ahead.

So if you want to blame the Zod thing on someone, blame it on Goyer and DC.

Seriously, go read the interviews. They're everywhere on the internet.

What I don't understand is if Snyder really wants to be taken seriously, to tell "deep" stories about the human condition and the state of today's society, why doesn't he then make actual serious films?
Why capeshit? Instead of writing a script with actual characters and situations (or just picking a good script) he routinely picks spandex wearing teen comic book franchises. Why?

Snyder rules, Nolan drools.

youtu.be/BVIB9sGYeUw

>Regardless of how obvious it already was, Nolan always has a character mouthpiece the entirety of his themes to the audience. Always. It happens in every single film he has ever made. I look on it as an insecurity of his, a lack of faith in his audience
to question, analyze, and discern for themselves.

Okay it's time to end this "audience is smart meme". They very fucking obviously are not.

Here's 95% of the audience

1) Too dumb to understand
2) Average intelligence but isn't interested in doing mental work for a movie.

If the audience were actually smart Blade Runner wouldn't be flopping , this year's highest grossing wouldn't all marvel or star wars, shit like Transformers , pirates and the movie wouldn't have outcrossed blade Runner or shouldn't even be billion dollar franchises. If the audience were smart smart movies wouldn't be called "arthouse films that are meant for niche audiences".

Seriously when was the last time a smart movie was a mega-blockbuster hit?

You would not believe how many people irl have felt Nolan movies were too difficult to understand despite his excessive exposition.

Nolan isn't pretentious. He is a grounded man who knows his audience.

These people are shut ins. Why would you actually think these guys what the mass audience is like lol?

If he made a serious film he would get ripped apart by critics and dumb capeshitters wouldn't come rushing to his defense. Deep down he knows he's a hack.

>David S. Goyer: "So yes, originally Zod got sucked into The Phantom Zone with the others but I just felt it was unsatisfying and so did Zack. So we started talking to some of the people at DC Comics and asked, ‘Do you think there is ever a way that Superman would kill someone?’ And at first they said, ‘No way.’ ‘But what if he didn’t have a choice…?’ Originally Chris didn’t even want to let us try to write it but Zack and I said, ‘We think we can figure out a way that you’ll buy it.’ So I came up with this idea of the heat vision and these people about to die and I wrote the scene and gave it to Chris… and he said, ‘Okay, you convinced me.’ I’ve seen the film about four times now and everyone always gasps when it happens – they don’t see it coming – and I think it makes some people feel uncomfortable, whereas other people say ‘Right on!’ but that was the point. Hopefully what we have done with the end of this film is we’ve got the the mainstream audience, not the geek audience, to question it all. Hopefully we’ve redefined Superman."

OH NO NO NO

He wants to do a George Washington movie, actually. Is that he got pegged by Warner Bros as the go to guy for comic book adaptations.

I am not asking why doesn't he switch now, that's obvious, I am asking why the fuck did he even start getting into capeshit if apparently all he wants to do is completely contradictory to that degenerate surface-level subject matter?

Because he's a comic book fan and wanted to elevate them.. It's stupid, but what you going to do?

Okay, I'm sorry.

>Meanwhile, Snyder is spending late nights in his cavernous office working on the upcoming Justice League movie. He’s also thinking about making films that aren’t comic book adaptations. Sort of. One of these days, he’d like to make one about George Washington in the style of 300. He has a picture in his office of the Revolutionary War hero crossing the icy Delaware on his way to decimate the British in the Battle of Trenton. “We were talking about it,” Snyder says. “The first thing we asked was, well, how are we going to make it look? I pointed at this painting. It looks like 300. It’s not that hard.”

youtube.com/watch?v=UD3byJxc9Vc

>he’d like to make one about George Washington in the style of 300. He has a picture in his office of the Revolutionary War hero crossing the icy Delaware on his way to decimate the British in the Battle of Trenton. “We were talking about it,” Snyder says. “The first thing we asked was, well, how are we going to make it look? I pointed at this painting. It looks like 300. It’s not that hard.”
This sounds so fucking awful. He would turn the fucking American Revolution into capeshit tier dumb action.

Nolan´s movies according to Rotten Tomatoes: Following: 78% Memento: 92% Insomnia: 92% Batman Begins: 84% The Prestige: 75% The Dark Knight: 94% Inception: 86% The Dark Knight Rises: 87% Interstellar: 71% Dunkirk: 92%

hack snyder´s movies according to Rotten Tomatoes: Dawn of the Dead: 75% 300: 60% Watchmen: 64% Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga´Hoole: 50% Sucker Punch: 23% Man of Steel: 55% 300: Rise of an Empire: 43% Batman v superman: 27%

Sure, Nolan is the hack...
No wonder why pretentious fucks, and/or hack snyder and dc faggots hate RT

Good thing RT exists, otherwise I wouldn't know what movies to like.

Snyder is terrible in handling an audience. He's much better explain his thoughts when talking with just someone or writing stuffs.

Here's a good one: dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1002-Summer-2010/Screening-Room-Zack-Snyder.aspx

Jesus christ how are Snyderfags even a thing? Is it some kind of meme or what?

youtube.com/watch?v=MKQKGoJjghc

Same, pal, same; blessed the times they saved me from going to see shit at theaters

Holy fuck he seems like an actual braindead pleb. Can't form an full sentence, can only use the term "cool" to describe anything positive and started making movies because of the "supercool" Star Wars? And now he wants to be taken extremely seriously when he makes capeshit?
It's just embarassing

That's not how you evaluate a movie score in RT.

>Kermode
yikes

Dude doesn't know how to talk in public. Go check his written interview if you want to see his actual thoughts on things.

Here Snyder is just using more words for something that he finds cool. Everything he ever does is just based around cool moments and cool imagery. Nothing beyond that.

>snyderposting is still a thing
Sad!

This is just slightly above average film analysis. It's sad that this is Snyder at his absolute best/smartest.

It's not him as his absolute best/smartest, it's just him at his most comfortable.

He's totally right about Watchmen

youtube.com/watch?v=xu8l0q4rgcg

Death of the author is the worst shit. No, the guy going on the loo is not an allegory for him rejecting Christ or his humanity or whatnot, he's just taking a shit.

Well at least we can all agree that Nolan is far more eloquent and able to express his thoughts clearly.
Look at this video of him explaining Memento, not a single "like uuuuuh aaaaand", he knows exactly why he did everything the did.
youtube.com/watch?v=tYScJZWhaHA

You know absolutely nothing about what makes a film a good film.

Its not shocking that you dont understand mos and bvs either

>no real argument
Kek, typical Snydercuck.

No thanks.

But what we need is 300 #3 and make the trilogy finished.

>My guiding principle is to reach a wide audience as possible
Nolan said that? I'm not particularly fond of his films but this is a great principle. Is it not the ultimate goal of the artist, to allow the art's transformative powers to reach as many as possible? David Milch said something along these lines and it really resonated with me.

>Nolan
>can clearly articulate all of his thoughts
>when asked about his films talks about their ideas and themes

>Snyder
>can't articulate anything, becomes a stuttering mess in public
>when asked about his films mindlessly rambles about how "cool" they are
The Snyder memes need to end. It's abundantly clear Snyder is a fucking idiot.

Yeah and it's worked fucking well in Nolan's favour.