Thanos

Will he live up to the hype? How would you handle his powers yet make him still beatable ?

At this point it's probably impossible for him to live up to the hype.

Yes.

There's one reason he'll easily be the most memorable villain in the MCU: Every other antagonist besides Loki is the blandest motherfucker alive.

Going by what Kevin Feige said, Thanos is the "main character" of Infinity War, meaning he'll probably get a proper personality and backstory with conflicts and motivations for his character directly lifted from the comics (self-defeatism, muh lady death) that will be enough to easily outshine Loki's daddy issues and every other MCU forgettable villain.

This was Marvel Studios plan since the beginning, it was a gamble to make your antagonists for 15 movies in a row as forgettable as possible, but so has been everything MCU.

I feel like they are behind schedule. I mean, who knows what shortcuts and edits they plan on making to the story of the Infinity Gauntlet but Adam Warlock is still in a cocoon and Thanos is in possession of zero infinity gems.

He won't be defeated by punching. Loki will try to betray him at the climax, he'll ascend to godhood but oops I dropped the gauntlet!, then Nebula will grab it and reset things which includes bringing Thanos back down to Earth, but Nebula won't be able to control the power like Thanos, so the heroes will be able to wrest it from her with the help of Thanos. But before he can get it back Vision as the only other being capable of wielding all 6 gems will grab it and erase Thanos from existence/imprison him/whatever.

He's not supposed to be beatable.

I feel like they wont outright kill him, better to keep him around incase their future endeavors don't prove to be as marketable (like Dormammu). Though I wonder how many of the gems will survive the infinity war.

I hope he kills Loki

What happened to the gems of infinity? Were they really destroyed? Discover this and more in:

ILLUMINATI

a Marvel Studios production. Coming to you in summer 2021.

I think it could go either way. IMO Farmer Thanos is too good of an ending to waste, but I'm worried it might leave general audiences scratching their heads. Especially since we haven't gotten to know Thanos through ears of stories by Starlin.

I can see Marvel deciding it's more satisfying to kill him. Depends on how one dimensionally evil he is I guess.

Thanos has to defeat himself.

It is the way the character works. Period.

The could easily go with farmer and keep him low profile and then release a Thanos centric movie based on Samaritan leading directly to Annihilation an subsequently Imperative.

What I hope for is they'll make it looked like Thanos was destroyed, but then you see Farmer Thanos in a post credits scene.

It's funny we make fun of OOPS I DROPPED THE CUBE when it's completely in character and the only logical way for Thanos to be defeated.

>gauntlet falls
>there is a scramble for it
>no one is strong enough to handle it's power
>one more person grabs on
>they get a little bit of control
>"distract him, we need more people!"
>legions of soldiers try to stop each new hero from helping
>one by one they get there and help
>the gauntlet starts to defeat the soldiers
>Thanos grabs a hero by the neck
>just before they pass out, a smirk
>Thanos is hit hard
>HORRAYYYY TEAM WORK
>They go to destroy the gauntlet
>but should we?!?
>for the greater good we must
>cut to Thanos still alive
Credits

> but then you see Farmer Thanos in a post credits scene
>talking with Adam Warlock

You think Marvel will go through with Thanos literally becoming Eternity?

Honestly without Adam Warlock making an appearance real soon I feel like we're going to miss out on the entire second phase of the battle for the gauntlet

I don't want to be mean but I seriously hope you never get to write anything in your life.

Damn, that might actually work.

>yfw "Thanos will return."
>GOTGv3 is Thanos Imperative

>implying this isn't every shitty comic book movie
>derp

I hope villains following Infinity War are better handled. I'd like for phase 4 to be more standalone movie fares rather than build up another antagonist for the next dozen movies.

Sorry to hurt your feelings, but that greentext was absolute trash.

Make him the main protagonist for starters

Agreed

I don't think they should try to repeat another Thanos situation

WOOOSSHHHHHHH

>GOTGv3 is Thanos Imperative
>mfw they finally bring in Dick Rider just to kill him off in the very same movie

Really the only way is to have him kill off a good number of characters, but I doubt they will have Thanos go full Mad Titan. I'm betting he'll be a Mild Titan

What if it's the setup for Rich instead and Drax and Quill are the only ones to bite it? Would that be robbing Rich of one of his best moments?

That'd be the mid credits scene.

>Post credits scene
>after Thanos "destruction" a rift in the sky is seen
>suddenly a spaceship(?) crashes down into the former battlefield
>while it slowly opens the heroes surround it
>we see the blurry figure of a man from behind
>Pym: RICHARDS!

He can always take out Annihilus' guts once Fox works a deal with Marvel.

If that at least happened, I'd be cool with him doing the Thanos Imperative sacrifice in the movie following it.

And then coming back with sick cancerverse powers like in the new Nova ongoing.

>spoiler
I also really like what they did with his return. Too bad sales are tanking hard.

They've kept the Sam books going with lower sales than the current amount.

That's because Sam is a pet character, so they let him stay despite being sales cancer.

Well, Sam is still supposed to be the main character here, even if Dick is stealing the show.

I wish they'd give Richard his own solo. Sam could appear here and there if they want to continue their dynamic.

I can only hope for MMM/Generations to deliver.

stupidest fucking thing in the comics, and beyond stupid if they do it in the movie

>yet make him still beatable
He isnt.
He beats himself.

How would you like him to be defeated, trips-user?

yeah that's a thrilling end to a movie they want a billion dollars in return on.

dunno, but it should be something clever the heroes come up with so they aren't just bystanders in the end

Why not? People loved to "think" about the cool villains in TDK and TDKR.

>dunno, but it should be something clever the heroes come up with

Fuck off, its the manner in which he plays himself thats compelling.

Something tells me you missed the point of that exchange.

That said, its true that the Earth heroes are an afterthought in the comic and since Warlock isn't around anyway I'm sure it will receive a retooling.

it was never compelling. it was a cop out. these were the same writers that had the gods throwing planet-sized fireballs at him

I think the two of them work very well as a pair.
Besides, outside of the first issue, the focus has been on Dick so far.

Starlin doesn't tend to resolve things by physical conflict. The prior issues of Earth's Mightiest getting their butts handed to them should have clued you in on that.

Dude, the directors have already foreshadowed what they're doing: They literally said "Thanos is so powerful he can change all of reality with the snap of his fingers." They're going to do the snap, mark my words. Probably use Doctor Strange's time bullshit to undo it, but I can assure you they'll do the snap.

DANCE OFF, THANOS YOU AND-

He won't live up to the hype.

We have gone since 2012 hyping him as the big baddie, and it's been happening everywhere. From the comics, cartoons and video games, it's always building up how big and powerful Thanos is. The problem is, they're overblowing how big of a threat he is while at the same time having the Avengers never facing adequate stepping stones to face him.
For example, every assemblage of Avengers has them just punch/smash their villains to victory. The Chitari, Ultron, even in their own films, they never fought a villain who that they couldn't punch to win. Now with Thanos, he's going to have universal power. Try to smash him? Oh, he's already reading their minds. Get a good blow on him? He'll go back in time. Hell, he could turn them all into hot dogs if he wanted to.
And the Avengers lineup? Thor, Hulk, Dr. Strange, Vision and Scarlet Witch are the only ones who might be able to be on his level. Iron Man, Cap and Ant-Man are low tier in terms of damaging him, and oh lord, what are Falcon, Black Widow, Hawkeye and the rest gonna do?
And that's the big problem with this setup. We know the buildup with each stone, but we really haven't seen Thanos in any sort of action to gauge how powerful he'll be. He'll very likely be nerfed to the point that we can see a fight play out. Then again, it's not like the powerlevels in films ever match comic/cartoon source materials.

How will they use the time bullshit to undo it when the eye is a stone in the gauntlet? Nebula uses the gauntlet to reverse it in the comics anyway.

>Probably use Doctor Strange's time bullshit to undo it,
...you do realize, in order for Thanos to do the snap, he would need the stone that gives Dr. Strange the time ability, yes?

It will have to be more than that, there's no way it can't be. I'm not even speaking from hype but from what's shown in the other movies. The power stone alone makes you unbeatable.

>*Ant-Man picks up Dr. Strange's Time Stone from the Gauntlet*
>"I believe this is yours Dr. Strange"

Ant-Man is such a cinnamon roll.

S N A P
N
A
P

I don't think the gems should survive Infinity Wars. If they were still in the MCU, they would always be that Deus Ex to get the heroes out of a pickle. There would always be future stories about how villains try to get the gems again. I think the way to defeat Thanos is to make the gems overpower and destroy themselves. Have something happen where a gem contradicts another gem, causing a cascading effect where the gauntlet goes off like a nuke.

But don't let the gems survive past the film. The MCU badly needs to move past Infinity Wars being the most defining storyline. Also, we don't need Dr. Strange to keep abusing the Time Gem to fix all problems.

This. There's no way they don't pull some shit with Ant-Man. I'd put money on him dying, he has all the traits of a side character who can easily be killed off. He's a lazy, shiftless asshole, so the audience will gobble up his once sacrificial act of heroism if it leads to his death.

So then Nebula undoes the snap. Regardless, we might get treated to some really hilarious BTFOing. My point is that there's no way they can avoid letting down the hype train if they DON'T do the snap, so they'll do it then handwave their way out of it. (Sort of like happened, in the comics, actually.)

>Also, we don't need Dr. Strange to keep abusing the Time Gem to fix all problems.
It worked for Goku and every body and their mothers still love Dragon Ball.

>(Sort of like happened, in the comics, actually.)
Literally what happened in the comics. Everything Thanos did was un-did by the end of the book, the majority of heroes also got their memories erased.

The snap will happen, but then Thanos would fight the Avengers + GOTG in a big brawl not utilizing the extent of his gauntlet. Thus leading to Cinema Sins and every smartass nitpicker online ask "Why didn't Thanos do ________" like how people complain why they didn't use the Eagles in Lord of the Rings. In fact, I bet you when these films come out, they're going to make an "Eagles in LOTR" sort of comment over and over again.

Thanos has already been referenced as the most powerful being in the universe. By a guy working Ronan, who's already nastier than any villain the Avengers have encountered thus far. And that's without any stones.

How on earth do you add the combined power of all six stones on top of that but nerf him to the point where he can be bested through physical conflict?

>This. There's no way they don't pull some shit with Ant-Man. I'd put money on him dying, he has all the traits of a side character who can easily be killed off. He's a lazy, shiftless asshole, so the audience will gobble up his once sacrificial act of heroism if it leads to his death.

I would not be surprised if Ant-Man shrinks into the gauntlet and grows large to get it off his hand.

>He's a lazy, shiftless asshole, so the audience will gobble up his once sacrificial act of heroism if it leads to his death.

He's one of the nicest characters in the MCU, what are you talking about? Even his criminal career is a Robin Hood scenario.

Easy. You then tell the smarks "it's an adaptaion, check the source material and if you still have a problem complain to Jim Starlin".

Alternatively you can stop being an insecure faggot and don't worry about what some attention whores in the internet will think of the ending.

People love Dragonball Z because it had enough humor and charm to bring people in, while an over the top fighting style that no other show was able to match at the time. Everyone agrees that the Dragonballs wishing everyone back to life was cheap, and doing that after Marvel has been so scared to kill off any characters would make people mad. This is the film to wrap up story arcs and several character deaths.

I didn't say have him bested in physical combat, but you need Thanos and the Avengers to fight or else nobody would be satisfied in the film. Which begs the question, would Thanos be a pussy and not kill any Avengers when he fights them? He should cream them. Easily.

Again, this is probably the biggest problem with doing a character this powerful. There is nothing else in the MCU that reaches this heights. Hell, even Dormammu didn't get to unleash his might.

DEATH'S HEAD FOR GOTG2!

DO IT, GUNN! DO IT!

>because it had enough humor and charm to bring people i
Just like the MCU.

>while an over the top formula that no other comic book movie was able to match at the time
Just like the MCU.

>Everyone agrees that the Dragonballs wishing everyone back to life was cheap, and doing that after Marvel has been so scared to kill off any characters would make people mad.
Mandarin made people mad. It also made Marvel 1+ billion bucks, and that same people went onto watch Age of Ultron, which also made them mad and another billion.

>This is the film to wrap up story arcs and several character deaths.
Wrapping things up doesn't necessarily mean killing off your characters. They can always "retire" them and have them available for future projects.

>Alternatively you can stop being an insecure faggot and don't worry about what some attention whores in the internet will think of the ending.
You say that, but we're going to have so many threads about that shit when the films happen. From Sup Forums and elsewhere. Or Sup Forums will likely close by then...

The thing is, the MCU ages in real time. That's a big thing it has over DBZ. I think a film that's been hyped for almost a decade and not delivering on consequences would make a lot of people disappointed.

The MCU is popular, shitposting will always be there no matter what.

If you are worried you won't be able to discuss the movie, then don't. Marvel movies are screened outside the US first, so just join the early threads. They are always comfy because burgers are too scared to get spoiled so you get minimal shitposting.

Theoretically, if Vision retains his consciousness inside the stone, that could enable Wanda to pump the gauntlet full of Chaos (like she did to Starro in JLA vs Avengers), causing the stones to malfunction and/or shatter.

That won't fly with audiences.

And that's where you're wrong. You assume people "want" something else from comic book movies besides cool action, super powers and the heroes beating the bad guy, well, they don't. They might be 'cool' but the stigma that superheroes are for kids and therefore not supposed to be treated seriously still exists.

I still like my working theory that when Vision loses the gem, he wakes up again and everyone is happy, but then when alone, he talks in James Spader's voice. Thus future films with Ultron Vision.

4 movies in between now and Infinity War
>GotG V2
>Spider-Man: Homecoming
>Thor: Ragnarok
>Black Panther

In these 4 movies Thanos needs to not only find the soul stone (assuming he doesn't already have it) but also acquire the rest of the infinity gems. Which means
>Stealing the space stone from Asgard (Probably happens in Thor: Ragnarok)
>Stealing the mind stone from Vision's head
>Stealing the reality stone from The Collector (Possibly happens in GotG:V2)
>Stealing the power stone from Nova Corps vault (Possibly happens in GotG:V2)
>Stealing the time stone from Doctor Strange in Kamar-Taj

Seems like a lot to do.

Have you read the comic? There will be an all-out brawl and Thanos will kill most of the Avengers. By the end of the second it will be undone and the dead heroes will be returned to life.

I'd cum all over the cinema if that glorious Freelance Peacekeeper graced GotG2 in some way, yes?

Take Guardians 2 and Spider-Man out. They're stand alone stories.

Thanos is confirmed to appear in Ragnarok thus taking care of the Soul and Space Stone. Power and Reality will be part of Thanos quest in Infinity War, Time and Soul will be acquired after Dr. Strang botches his bargain with the big guy and loses the eye and Vision in the process.

I don't think he'll have all the gems until the end of the first movie.

This is feasible as I think maybe Stark, Pym, Wanda, and Strange rebuild him but he is White Vision; he has less emotions and has Ultron persona emerging.

so is it going to be another desolation of smaug situation?

>Thanos flies a helicopter that has his name on it

Kek, this is adorable.

See, you're not thinking like a really smart villain.
>>Heroes split up to go after each stone.
>>Fight Thanos villains on the way.
>>Heroes get almost all the gems.
>>Attack the heroes with a betrayal Nebula and get all the gems at once.

Let your enemies do all the work for you.

That would not fly with a modern audience. Hyping up the Avengers to fight Thanos and then having all the heroes die for a good portion of the film? That would confuse so many people.

>hype for MCU villains
Kek.

Thanos getting all of the stones will be the cliffhanger at the end of Part I.

Think about it: what else could possibly be the cliffhanger? (there has to be one. Two parters don't work without it).

I'm not sure how can you can compare 8 comics/2 movies to 1 book/3 movies

See, I would be disappointed if Thanos gets the gems from Asgard. That would deprive the other Avengers from going there.
That would be cool. But I don't see Strange messing with robotics. You forgot Banner btw.
Would be awkward with Ant-Man and Wasp as well as Captain Marvel taking place in between. Do they just take place during IW?

> Thanos rides in his copter.
> A small child looks up
"Gee, Mr. Thanos, your helicopter sure is cool! Can I ride in it?"
> Thanos glares down at the boy, scaring him, but then grins warmly.
"Of course you can, boy! Come onboard and ride in my Thanos copter, I will bathe the skyways in your childlike wander!"

>>Stealing the space stone from Asgard (Probably happens in Thor: Ragnarok)
>>Stealing the mind stone from Vision's head
>>Stealing the reality stone from The Collector (Possibly happens in GotG:V2)
>>Stealing the power stone from Nova Corps vault (Possibly happens in GotG:V2)
>>Stealing the time stone from Doctor Strange in Kamar-Taj
that's what IW will be literally about, that's why they said that Thanos will be focal point of the first part

Captain Marvel will likely play an extremely crucial part of IW. Not sure about AM&W though.

Got a feeling this is what Thanos will do.

Make them run around and collect the stones for him.

Seems like a natural thing to do with a two parter movie. By then audiences will know all about the stones, the gauntlet, hell, the dead can just be banished to the soul stone.

My big concern there is that Part 2 would pull a Jabba the Hutt.

Every time there are two films where the first part hints at the major conflict, the second part has a delay of that final conflict with some side quest.
ROTJ had rescuing Han from Jabba
Pirates of the Carribean had getting Jack from Davy Jones' Locker
Matrix had Neo stuck in the subway

So, most likely, the Avengers would do some detour in the first part of Avengers 4 before they fight the all powerful Thanos, and seeing how the Russos and everyone claims that each film has its own conclusion and are stand alone, I'm wondering how it'll be handled.

Please tell me Marvel will have the balls to permanently KILL some characters. Not just retire off into the sunset.

I want to see some bodies stay dead.

>>Cue music of wonder as the kid looks around in amazement.
I also think that the Avengers and GOTG will break up into smaller teams to go after each gem in each place, only to run into Thanos' goons. I also can see Xandar being destroyed. Thanos getting the gem and just grinning at Nova Prime as he slams it to the ground.
I don't think the Captain Marvel film should tie in too much. If they did that, the film would never make it off the ground as its own franchise.