Drawing good cartoon principles is not a style

>Some of you probably think I am going to try to convince you to draw in the "Spumco Style" which I promise I'm not. I hate the Spumco Style and I tell young artists who have portfolios with fake Spumco drawings in them to go learn to draw cartoons for real before coming back to me.
I don't understand.

Other urls found in this thread:

johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/04/cal-arts-1-apology-to-students.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_k7G7oW17y8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gotta have the fundamentals down first before you start trying to copy a style.

I dislike John and his style greatly but I think he genuinely wants people to learn from his idols and not his own work.

John had a good philosophy of demanding his animators not repeat the same expression of a character twice, forcing them to find new ways to make a character emote an emotion. The problem I've heard many people have with him is that he takes all of the looseness of Bugs Bunny without any structure being added to it. It's impossible to go off-model when there is no on-model, so it's like saying you're a winner in a jumping contest by walking over a chalk line on the ground.

here's the full post
johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/04/cal-arts-1-apology-to-students.html

John K used to write some pretty interesting and informative posts. A lot of what he wrote on his blog during this time was inspiring to me when I was learning to draw.

>he takes all of the looseness of Bugs Bunny

What did he mean by this?

This isn't Sup Forums fuckwit

You need to leave.

What is he trying to say? That I should focus on drawing from real life first?

No. Real life drawings are good, but first you have to learn 3D fundamentals ("solid drawing" as it was known in the 30s through 50s) so you can draw anything.

He's saying you should find someone who isn't a senile autist to teach you shit

>it's a John K pretends he doesn't have an identifiable style, he doesn't know what you're talking about, he just draws like Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, definitely not Chuck Jones though, you know the greats! episode

as apposed to drawing from free hand? Is free hand bad? Will it give me the same benefits as solid drawings?

>Its not what I like so its shit

He's telling you to stop copying his damn style and to make something unique of your own from a combination of influences. Here's an example of someone copying john k style and flat out denying it by saying it's his own unique style:
youtube.com/watch?v=_k7G7oW17y8

No, the issue is that going further than John K. means you're entering arbitrarily abstract drawing territory. There's a crisis among artists because the vast majority of people going to popular art schools are living on their parents' dole, and they don't really care about learning art as culture. They want to express themselves and do fucked-up anti-social projects like taking pictures of their vaginas or using recyclable trash to construct models of dinosaurs. They don't care about form, or structure, or perspective, and this isn't anything new.

Directors of art schools are in a panic because the old art forms are being lost, because the only ones who mastered proper anatomy are dead, dying, or, if they're middle-aged, aren't getting nearly enough students to support the paycheck they deserve, because once again students don't attend art school to learn art. So we have this "CalArts" meme, so we have people calling John K. a god, so we have people using 50s over-exaggerated poses, so we have CGI and Flash and gaudy, over-designed characters with the character depth of a bird bath because their design doesn't show anything about their character beyond them being "LOL so randumb1!" thanks to Invader Zim and whether they're a white or black hat.

The worst part is that animators have completely misinterpreted the issue, and instead of giving us proper solid characters we have static characters. Bland, neutral poses that have no expression to them is the common style now. Almost everyone posts the .webm comparing the old Simpsons intro to the new flash one, hating how Marge's expression has change. What I'm asking for, and hopefully other people are too, is a revert back to the basic understandings of anatomy which, again, more and more artists no longer care about. Even anime is falling to this, and you can see the differences between what anime did do, and what anime does now.

He wishes everybody drew like Bob Clampett.

Nice copypaste.

Off yourself

Neck yourself.

Do a flip.

Amir, is that you?

But how do you prove you know realism? I mean on the internet, if course you must carry around your realism shit on your portfolio.

I mean is not like you can draw them on the go, realism takes me like a week and a half each, well, I also work a 12 hour shift so there is that...

I mean, you're not wrong... But times have changed.

He must hate Anime with a passion then.. Anime aims for perfection and consistency, in fact anime is not realism, it is idealistic.

Do we have any account of him talking about Anime? Seems Johnny here just strive for ugliness for sake of uniqueness.

You have to take it with a grain of salt, though. Even in 07, half the stuff he said was misleading or too iron-clad. Like, he makes great points about purpose in pose, pleasing aesthetics and drawing from your own life, but at the same time he'd insist that you can't make a good cartoon unless the animators are the only "writers" or that anything not first based in cuteness will inherently be unappealing.

He doesn't hate anime, but he doesn't particularly like it either and says he doesn't get Japanese humor.

I'm trying to find something but apparently there's a hentai artist using the name John K. Pe-Ta, and considering my browser history...

I can kinda see that. Japanese humor is very odd when thrown in the face of a Westerner.

He hates a great deal of anime, but is fascinated by Japanese/Korean artists (even with an anime style) that have great fundamentals and skills involved. He respects talented artistry. Regardless of where it comes from.

He strives for that unique drawing in producing something, but is fine if others don't follow through with that line of thinking if they can pull off what they go out to achieve with tremendous skill/artistic prowess. If they can be funny about it in their drawing then all the better.

According to John K, the Nine Old Men, and Termite Terrace animators, construction and solid drawing are superior to freehand until the time they come naturally to you.

Milt Kahl famously studied tiger film reels so much that he didn't need any references when drawing Shere Khan.

Check his blog, johnkstuff ().
He really didn't like Panty & Stocking; see if you can find "Inverted Curves Man".

If you really understand the fundamentals of drawing, of proportion, anatomy, construction, perspective etc, then this will be reflected in your art, no matter how stylised it is.

On the other hand, if you're just copying the surface aesthetics of a style (see: nearly every teenage weeaboo on DeviantArt) without understanding the underlying principles, then it will look wrong.

"You've got to know the rules before you can break them", as the saying goes.

Might as well post the GIF

What in the Seven Hells is this?

>"Inverted Curves Ma

That is just awful.

>a real human bean

Literally what kind of fucking statement is that?

"Yeah you're right, it's all lazy and terrible now. But it's okay to be lazy and terrible now."

His whole point is that while times have changed, skill and craft has dipped, and times need to change now in a way that returns to skill and craft.

kys

>John K. Pe-Ta
His stuff is so equally bizzare and cartoonish that I'd be unsurprised if the two were somehow related.

>post yfw John K. Pe-Ta is secretly John Krisfalusi

How come I can't find a girl to do this with me? Or even wants to see my dick?

no idea, i have a hard enough time convincing them to at least try. big dicks are a curse, anons, hope you don't get one.

Try stacking more points into charisma.

Does Kricfalusi hate video games too??

>filename
>no necrophilia at all
YOU TRICKED ME

What was the deleted post?

>Hack General

>What is 4chanX?

what about the people who draw for fun? do they gain anything?

>"You've got to know the rules before you can break them", as the saying goes.

>a million years old and still dipping in 20-something poon

CHARISMA: 10

I think you hit the nail on the head here. John can say some good things about cartooning, but at the same time he comes across as narrow minded because he puts certain artists on a pedestal and expects everything to fall into his own school of thought.

Yes, if you want more control over your drawings. You have to care about improving if you want to get better though.

He liked Fooly Cooly. And he has a huge post on his blog about anime color schemes and how good they are.

>Seems Johnny here just strive for ugliness for sake of uniqueness
When John K was good, his drawings weren't "ugly". He actually had a really good sense of design. But that "ugliness" you're talking about is the acting he gives his characters, which makes them feel more like real people. I'd rather look at something like this rather than generic anime waifus.

>but at the same time he'd insist that you can't make a good cartoon unless the animators are the only "writers"
this is true

>still dipping in 20-something poon
Not anymore.

What you think sex with John K would be like, Sup Forums?

He'd probably say that sex was better in the 1940s, just like the cartoons.

I'd pull an Skyler Page to grab Katie's butt.

The 1940s was before mass circumcision in America became a thing so he'd be right.

>Joyless, and with little purpose other than practical.
Huh. I guess he would.

Newsflash: Katie hasn't been 20-something for quite a few years now. Gotta move on to younger and better things.

Women are like money; when they get to forty, you exchange them for two twenties.

I'd say like 50% true. What is correct is that if you're a writer with a good sense for visuals or knowing when to let the artist do his or her thing it'll give you a better edge over a writer who doesn't.

>Spumco Style

do people unironically still like this?

I've got a buddy who basically worships at the altar of John K. Takes everything the guy says as gospel and not only backed Cans Without Labels but actively defends it any time he sees a comment that even has a hint of disparagement. He's not an animator. He doesn't even really draw. But I think he'd willingly suck John's dick if given the opportunity. He fucking loves Spumco Style.

>he'd willingly suck John's dick if given the opportunity

Circumcision was a thing since the early 1900s, dude.

FOr you.

The lesson from Picasso isn't that he had a great foundation in the traditional arts which allowed him to break all the rules.

The lesson is that he had a great foundation then threw it away to chase what was popular at the time. Money, fame, and branding where what mattered and he became everything that is wrong with art today.

Picasso knew what he was doing in creating his art. That foundation is what allowed his art to actually work. It may look ugly, but it still something amazing on the whole.

It'll be hard. But I'll manage to do it.

An artist's worth is primarily a combination of technique and originality. Originality may be in the design, or the approach, or thematic, or even a gimmick. An artist without some degree of individual uniqueness will find it difficult to receive recognition, if no one can attach a name to the style.

From a business perspective, originality is exclusivity. That's where the value is. So a cartoonist who slavishly copies but never exceeds the original has little value because it would be easy to get similar-looking work.

and knowing is half the battle.

>I don't understand.

its the same situation with weebs wo try to draw anime shit. Only create ungodly abominations of their favorite characters.