"Babylon Berlin", TV show set in Weimar Republic

>Inflation is so rampant that the local paper currency is good only for toilet paper. Cocaine, morphine and opium are peddled on every street corner. And more than 120,000 desperate women and girls of every age and stripe sell their bodies for a pittance, including mother-daughter prostitution teams and brazen streetwalkers well into the third trimester of pregnancy.

>Such was the glory that was Weimar Berlin, a burg American writer Ben Hecht called the "prime breeding ground of evil." Most are familiar with its reputation as a crime-ridden sewer of frenetic debauchery through period classics such as Fritz Lang's "M" and Josef von Sternberg's "The Blue Angel," stage productions of Brecht's "The Threepenny Opera" or screenings of Bob Fosse's lurid, leggy movie musical, "Cabaret." However, very few of our assumptions about that decadent interwar wonderland are based on actual documentation of Berlin's whorish past. And most of it has been filtered through the arid prose of academia.

>Indeed, the sheer variety of odd sexual tastes Gordon documents in "Voluptuous Panic" is astonishing. For instance, Gordon identifies 16 different types of prostitutes, including "telephone girls," enormously expensive child prostitutes ages 12-17 labeled "Marlene Dietrichs" or "Lillian Harveys" according to their physical attributes. These girls could be ordered by phone and delivered by taxi to the client. There were also so-called minettes, who acted out S/M fantasies, and "demi-castors" (French slang for "half-beavers"), young women from good families who made extra cash by hooking part time.

Other urls found in this thread:

salon.com/2000/11/22/weimar/
youtu.be/WgPDh764CK4
unqualified-reservations.blogspot.ca/2010/03/world-war-ii-primary-sourcebook.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GldYY3osvUk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>In tribute to the German mania for taxonomy, Weimar Berlin boasted an equally diverse assortment of lesbian and gay labels. "Sugar-lickers" were nighttime gay pederasts, and "Breslauers" were men with large penises. Lesbians might be ultrafemme "madis," or tuxedoed, highfalutin "dodos," and so on. And there seemed to have been countless nudists societies -- some for libertines, some for health nuts and still others with ties to political parties like the Nazis or the Communists.

>"Another thing which distinguished Berlin was the popularity of transvestism," Gordon notes. "There've been transvestites in every culture and time, but in Berlin they organized, they had special clubs and they became an entertainment. Strangely, the lesbians identified with the male transvestites and the homosexual men despised them. The major organization for gay men (the Militant Homosexualists) saw themselves as supermale. Transvestites were at the bottom of their Nietzschean hierarchy."

>Transvestism proved to be one of the main attractions of Berlin's burgeoning sex tourism industry. The pathetic situation of the German mark ensured tourists a real deal on the little boy or girl who'd caught their eye, and, unlike other European capitals that employed red-light districts for their sex industries, Berlin had no red-light district, or real censorship for that matter. Indeed, it seems the entire city was a red-light district. According to Gordon, Berlin's police commissioner even wrote articles boasting that sex was the premier industry of Berlin, though Gordon established that it was actually a respectable third after finance and publishing.

>A confluence of factors created Berlin's unique status as the sex Mecca of Europe during the Weimar period. Germany's recent defeat in World War I did its part, encouraging general disillusionment and leaving behind thousands of war widows in Berlin's populace of 4 million with no means of realistically supporting themselves other than by prostitution. Gone were the Kaiser and the old morality, and in their place was a new liberal republic. And then there was the general economic collapse and inflation. In October 1923, German currency traded at the astronomical rate of 4.2 billion marks to the U.S. dollar. Gordon points out that "the most exquisite blow job" to be had in Berlin never cost an American tourist more than 30 cents.

>Berlin even had its own urban myth to explain the city's frenzied, oversexed atmosphere. They ascribed it to the Berliner Luft, the "amphetamine-like air" of the city that made their hearts beat wildly at night and reinvigorated them at dawn.

>"I saw pimps offering anything to anybody, little boys, little girls, robust young men, libidinous women, animals. The story went around that a male goose of which one cut the neck at the ecstatic moment would give you the most delicious, economical, and time-saving frisson of all, as it allowed you to enjoy sodomy, bestiality, homosexuality, necrophilia and sadism at one stroke. Gastronomy too, as one could eat the goose afterwards."

salon.com/2000/11/22/weimar/

>New York Times
>vibrant Democracy

what a coincidence, a Weimar-like "vibrant Democracy" is exactly what they've been pushing for years in the West

>mother-daughter prostitution teams
wtf I hate Hitler now

Weimar Republic was before Hitler, idiot

He's saying he's mad that Hitler ended it doofus

What's the hottest thing to come out of the Weimar Republic?

But... why?

Fucking retard
Look at that, someone with actual brain tissue!

Pandora's Box by GW Pabst

He truly was the greatest leader the world has ever seen.

It sounds like it could be pretty good. I like atmospheric shows.

>The story went around that a male goose of which one cut the neck at the ecstatic moment would give you the most delicious, economical, and time-saving frisson of all, as it allowed you to enjoy sodomy, bestiality, homosexuality, necrophilia and sadism at one stroke. Gastronomy too, as one could eat the goose afterwards.

brb

It's true though. The Weimar Republic was very degenerate. It's a bit of déjà vu t b h.

>tfw hitler took loli sluts from us

RUN RYAN RUN

>vibrant democracy

I hate you people.

>not wanting to come home to 75lb GF

what are you gay

>it's a 2 for 1 deal episode

>kills 400,000 Germans
>400,000 Frenchman
>10,000+ Anglos
>thousands of Greeks and Italians
>6 million Jews
>5-7 million Slavs
>120,000 Freemasons despite a number of Hitler's friends during his rise to power being involved with Masonry and Para-masonry
>destroys thousands of acres of farmland, forestland; devestated rivers pumps massive amounts of carbon into the air
>uses slave labor but bitches about American hypocrisy towards blacks
>pretends to like Arabs even tho he thinks they're gross Semites
>steals billions in artwork made by other races
>steals land and gold from other governments
>Goebells was a pedophile and Hesse betrayed him, Goering was a cross dresser, Himmler was a psychopath
>had a lower iq than all his closest associates
>failed painter
>didn't even see the end of the war he fought in
>bad at math
>didn't understand biology at all, demonstrates almost zero scientific literacy
>idealist
>nordicist
lolololololol

and yet millions would want him as their leader rather than current politicians.

MÄMMY

Are they going to have a monkey sex scene?
youtu.be/WgPDh764CK4

That's because millions are brainlets.

>millions of animals with early onset dementia want something
>the masses of 90 iq apes want something
yup

>conquer Europe
>demoralize natives at such a rapid rate that it backfires within 15 years
>get sent to concentration camps
>re-conquer Europe
>continue doing the same thing, just slower

So what the fuck was their problem?

They are evil

>>demoralize natives

I love how Sup Forums paints white people as if they were no better than niggers with no agency or minds of their own. Everything is evil jews fault just like niggers say everything is evil whitey's fault.

>vibrant

Yaaaaassss

One story I remember reading about weimar germany is how the films they showed became increasingly degenerate, the people came to see it as a form of humiliation, to where eventually people had their "red-pill" moment and would left the theater in seething rage. It would be amusing if this show has the same effect.

Can you name any of the films, or what was "degenerate" about them? That's a fascinating claim and I'd love to see an example.

>the vibrant democracy the preceded the Nazi years

I'll try to see if I can dig up the quote, its kind of half remembered

>By November 1923, the US dollar was worth 4,210,500,000,000 German marks.

10/10 democracy

Well, most of it got burned

You can easily watch Weimar films. You won't find anything as degenerate as, I don't know, Game of Thrones.

Now check 1928.

seems to be from a book called "The German Talks Back", quoted here:
unqualified-reservations.blogspot.ca/2010/03/world-war-ii-primary-sourcebook.html

I won't paste the whole thing here cause its pretty long, ctrl-f to "The crucial test" to find the whole quote. Admittedly its pretty tame compared to our standards now, but its interesting nonetheless.

Gordon with his sensationalist garbage did more damage to the image of Weimar Republic than Hitler and Nazi propaganda. His sources are extremely unreliable, most of them are ads from Berlin advertising its sexual industry, but we know from numerous diaries they were really exaggerated.
I remember reading about some lesbian poet who attended one of those lesbian parties. The lewdest thing she did was dancing with another woman and drinking coffee.

Having a threesome with a mother and daughter is the patrician's ultimate sexual fantasy

Movies in Weimer were actually red-pilled.

Casket of Caligari is about attention whores who blame other people for their crimes while spinning lies about being the "real victim"

Blue Angel was about an evil whore who ruins a conservative professor who she seduces, bankrupts, then abandons after publicly humiliating him.

A lot of the gay/lesbian themed films showed homosexuality as a mental illness that leads to death, promoted the idea of lesbians as soulless vampire rapists, and schoolgirl lesbianism as a tool used by people to ruin other peoples' lives and reputations

>Casket of Caligari is about attention whores who blame other people for their crimes while spinning lies about being the "real victim"
No? What are you talking about?

>A lot of the gay/lesbian themed films
There was literally one lesbian film made during the Weimar era.

You've no idea what you're talking about.

>Sex, drugs, and crime in Weimr Republic

And I wonder why the Nazis wanted to do away with it.

are all the butthurt triggered alt-lite drumpfbabbies gonna cry about this show 24/7 on here? this is like the 4th thread about it in one day. its almost as if someone is directing them, probably someone from moscow

That's wrong. It's not only the Nazis. Weimar Republic was disliked by most conservatives and the Army. The workers supported it.

the problem was prussia. it yielded too much influence over the other states.

i can already tell it's going to be chino based on whos playing the main character

where mah generation war bros at

divided prussia into smaller states comparable with the others and you wouldn't have had a problem.

Not really, sounds like it could be a subtle redpill tonne honest.

actually weimar germany is a giant redpill in terms of the culture war

This state of absolut degeneracy in Berlin during the Weimar era was one of the reason normal Germans welcomed Hiter to "clean up the filth".

That's a myth. Hitler was never popular in Berlin.

Who will be the Hitler of the modern age, I wonder?

> its almost as if someone is directing them, probably someone from moscow

Brainlet faggot detected. You're in the wrong part of the internet shitfuck.

>muh six million jews!

God why do jews think we should care so much? Not even Sup Forums but I can't stand them for that alone. I don't hear the Russians crying about their dead on the same level and they lost much much more.

I was talking about normal Germans that saw what happened in Berlin.

not surprised if true. city people are self-destructive monsters

Pretty big change from what was taught at the turn of the century. As a kid, I remember my old Scholastic encyclopedia describing the Weimar Republic as run down and corrupt, economically crippled by the treaty of Versailles. Guess they need something to accommodate the moslems and gays now.
>vibrant democracy
What a laugh.

>((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((VIBRANT))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
>((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((DEMOCRACY))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The next PM of a European nation, I'd wager. The native population of that continent are getting very angry.

Those normal Germans voted for Hitler only after the Great Depression. In 1928 NSDAP won 2.6% votes.

He's right though.

>6 million jews
Twelve million died during the Holocaust, the Gypsies were almost obliterated as a ethic group. Many more slavs died in the post-war famines. I really can't see what makes the Jews important.

>bad at math
So, Hitler is just like the average college graduate. That's terrible?

>idealist
Alright, fuck off back to Rick and Morty.

>Not even Sup Forums but I can't stand them for that alone.

See, that's your problem. You're attributing the claims of some Jews to all Jews, as if Jews were some symbiotic hivemind.

My 8th grade history teacher was a Jewish woman who was absolutely adamant that much of the claims about the Holocaust in our textbook, including the 6 million figure, were fabrications.

>@90164410
Hey look the (you)whore showed up

It's not a change. Popular history simplifies certain problems.

Define "normal German"?

They are important because Jews were the main target of Nazi genocidal policy.
>more Slavs died
Yes, but there were more Slavs than Jews living in East Europe.

Your history teacher was a stupid, uneducated woman.

>drinking coffee

Pics or GTFO

>vibrant democracy
>weimar republic

REVISIONED

>Gypsies were almost obliterated as a ethic group

Good. Fucking gyppos.

>stupid, uneducated
>8th grade teacher
The shoe fits.

The one that was working hard (if he even found a job) and still lost everything while Berlin was having a big party.

Weirdly, they're actually sisters.

Tumblr argument is tumblr, but I'm fascinated by how you're ignoring the Gypsies, and their own millennium long history of discrimination and ethic cleansing. Instead you pull the 'there were more Slavs' card like they're nothing but cattle. Guess goyim lives don't matter, eh?

So it fits a certain politically accepted narrative and dumb people can ingest it. Like all historical revisions.

People in Berlin also suffered.

There were few groups that weren't happy about the republic: peasants and the middle-class. Both voted for the Nazis.

The story that Caligari was based upon was one of the first major examples of a film taking a shitty book/short story and rewriting it to make it better.

The story that it was based upon had Caligari as the villain but the film makers changed the ending to make the good guy the real kiler/bad guy and Caligari his benevolent shrink he was trying to frame.

youtube.com/watch?v=GldYY3osvUk

The lewdest lesbian scene from Weimar movies.

Jews are more important in the world than dirty slavs. Can you not see how much damage the Germans did to jews and zionism? It was a miracle the Jewish people survived.

Caligari isn't based on a book. And you haven't seen the film.

According to some recent estimates about 2.7 million ethnic Poles died during the war. In 1931 there were 22 million Poles living in Poland (in 1939 possibly 24 million). 2.9 million Polish Jews died during the war (almost 90% of all Polish Jews) (there were 3 million Jews in Poland before WW2).

>90% of all Polish jews died

Good. Must be why Poland has it right on the rapefugee crisis.

Why wont Germany pay reparations?

>no mention of Jews corrupting and exploiting the banking industry
>no mention of Jews colluding with communists to undermine the legitimate government
>no mention of Jews normalizing degeneracy and demonizing traditional family values in the media and entertainment industry

We need another Hitler in Germany, France, the U.K., and the U.S..

They already paid the Jews and they don't care about Poles.

history major here
they better not fuck this up
I want people to see how degenerate the society was

>We need another Hitler in Germany, France, the U.K., and the U.S..
Now's your time to shine user.

>2.9 million Polish Jews died during the war (almost 90% of all Polish Jews)
You're welcome.

Examples of all three?

>vibrant democracy
um

How degenerate it was?

You literally can't call out degeneracy in this day and age. Its existence will be celebrated and it's destruction lamented.

OP and his following posts does a pretty good job of laying it out

Seems familiar for some reason....