Why did the aliens need help in 3000 years?

Why did the aliens need help in 3000 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The same reason Interstellar is us in 3000 years

because abbott is death process

just tried to watch this movie for the second time and could not understand what the fuck was the point. want to fugg the mc tho

I liked the movie overall but I still think the ending was bullshit.
>you know my phone number because I tell you in the future which only exists because I told you my phone number
Was the entire point of this movie to take a big shit on Causality?

Gotta fight some Orks.

kino line tbqh

Literally neck yourself for trying to make sense of a concept not possible in science. Just roll with it existing just like any other fantasy setting.

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg
because the writer couldn't have been bothered to make an actual first contact story and just made it an emotional "drama" about a parent and their daughter, ripping off interstellar.

still amazes me how dumb people are who think this is such hot shit. at least Interstellar, in all it's overrated nonsense, went out of it's way to give a bombastic visual experience that's worthy of being on an IMAX screen.

outside of the spaceship, Arrival is dull and boring in every way.

That's a pretty standard time travel trope, the idea that time is fixed and so it was always going to happen.

Alien jews?

It still hurts.

the movie is for brainlets. the short story is much better

>the aliens are literally mass effect Reapers.

Time is fixed. There's no such thing as free will.

Jews probably

What story?

Is it based on some book?

>hey guys check out this YouTube channel that totally isn't me
>it's some mouthbreathing sloth

Every time

The aliens were smarter than the reapers.

Based on a short (~35 page) story called ''The Story of Your Life''. You can find the pdf for free on google. Infinetly better than the movie, both the Sci-fi elements, the emotional elements, and ESPECIALLY the linguistics elements, which were totally butchered in the movie.

Oh my god that channel is bad

Do you know that guy user?

Arrival was such a missed opportunity. It could have been the defining sci-fi of our generation. I hope the screenwriter dies in a fire for fucking the story up.

I fucking love that god damn line.

If she knew everything how did she forget her husband?

This. The movie still wasn't bad, but everything up to when they get into the ship for the first time was great. The atmosphere at the very beginning gave me goosebumps, the twist ruined the movie.

Nah, the story was unadaptable. The entire ''twist'' is delivered in a way that only works in text, there is absolutely no action, and the explination of Heptapod-B, while fascinating, only really works as something so complex that it's confined to your imagination. Showing it on screen ruins it.

She could have just monolouged about how the language has given her a higher mental state and perception of time and reality.

It is possible, it requires crazy bullshit that scientists aren't sure can exist, but the rules do allow it.

Short story was garbage, "Tower of Babylon" and "Hell is the Absence of God" were the only good stories in the collection.

Because the movie writers didn't understand the source material.

>I didn't understand the movie
Don't worry, you're not alone.

That's not the twist, I'm talking about the use of tenses in the naaration.

I bet you watched the movie first and were disappointed by the lack of explosions and Chinese presidents

So they changed the twist.
The beginning of the movie is probably the best demonstration of the Kuleshov effect I've ever seen.

I watched the movie first and was disappointed by the lack of any kind of arc or resolution.

Literally babby's first "complex" story how much of a brainlet are you?

So I wonder what their penises look like...

their arms

How the fuck do you gain the ability to see the future by looking at coffee mug stains?

Strong Sapir-Whorf hypothesis plus non-linear writing system.

The "point" is that even though you know you're gonna loose someone you love, its still worth living with them. This movie was not that complicated and literally gives away its twist before it happens

Not sure if you're still here user but do you have a link to the PDF? I can't find it.

>pretending I'm claiming it's not me
>I posted with a trip that matches the channel

I didn't think being this dumb was possible, but you showed me user

never seen him before in my life

STOP IT

>Was the entire point of this movie to take a big shit on Causality?
Yes. The fact that you can point out this inconsistency means we don't understand time very well so far.

You missed the entire point of the movie, and of science-fiction in general.

It's the exploration of the human condition through the injection of speculative or impossible story elements.

dude why have you been spamming your shitty review for the past year?

What do you hope to gain?

We are laughing at you and not with you btw.

Did they even proof read the script with this line?

Well I think it was more about the daughter than him. She couldn't just choose to not bring her into the world.

but I was laughing at you first

>it's fine to make someone suffer through terminal illness as long as you're happy

Underrated post. This is hilariously accurate and true. For being supreme beings that have culled the universe a number of times, the reapers sure were retarded and made little logical sense.

In the book she dies suddenly in her late twenties in a climbing accident.

See now that's better. But you are still missing the point that science-fiction is about fiction aka things that are not real. Science fiction is a speculative genre dealing with imagined scenarios that could happen or extrapolate on ideas we have in the real world.

Arrival does just that by positing that our current understanding of time is incomplete and in the future (from our current understanding) we may begin to see things differently. It also introduces the idea that alien creatures may already be doing so and we will have to find a way to bridge the gap of communication between species who perceive time differently.

>Literally neck yourself for trying to make sense of a concept not possible in science. Just roll with it existing just like any other fantasy setting.
A horse shit post. Apply yourself next time.

>Humans will eventually destroy themselves
>How do we prevent this from happening?
>Make a race of aliens that destroys all humans!
>mfw

disregard that, that I suck cocks

I think tumblr would be better suited for someone of your....

special intellect

>Watching your child die
>Happy
She KNEW her daughter was gonna die you brainlet, did she look happy when she was at her daughter's deathbed? The point being she felt her daughter was worth bringing into the world despite knowing that one day she would suffer and die. Its one of the most pro life messages to be put in a film in a long time.

I'm not the dude who used the invective mang don't be like that with me.

BRAVO VILLENEUVE

haha your like dislike ratio says a lot bud

Yeah that was who I was referring to, the daughter. Maybe I should've clarified that but I thought it was pretty self evident by those who saw the film.
>"I don't even know who this little girl is"

I found the pdf before the movie came out, so maybe now they deleted the free pdfs. Try ebook pirating sites.

No, brainlet, she cared more about the gay little happy things like her daughter telling her whatever bullshit she learned in school and thought those moments of joy were enough to justify a life that would end in misery, and because it jerks normie tears better than

That's worse. Amy could tell her daughter not to go climbing, and instill a fear of heights in her if she has to.

Why would they? Its a really good line. Fits in the story well.

because her that-time brain had yet to be entangled with her then-time brain

We are all anonymous thus you are as guilty as he.

But her daughter has to die for her to know that her daughter is going to die so if she prevents the death then she can't prevent the death

I thought it was to set up the life and death of the daughter without having to try hard not to spoil the father and therefore the twist.
No, she couldn't. Free will cannot exist in time-like scenarios without violating causality.
Granted.

They need hot human females to tentacle rape

>not spoil the father
OK, all brainlet namecalling aside, you'd have to be legit retarded not to see how that hamfisted subplot was going to play out

>No, she couldn't. Free will cannot exist in time-like scenarios without violating causality.
Maybe. Maybe not. She's just a babby at this stuff and the behavior of the aliens suggests things may be a bit more complicated.

>N-no you!
Is this anything more pathetic than an autistic brainlet? You focus on the parts and neglect the whole. We all die, death is inevitable regardless, and a happy ending to our lives cannot always be guaranteed for us all. The point being if you know someone you love will die/leave you will you still go through with it? She choose to, deaspite knowwing what would happen.That is a wonderful, pro life message.

She can't though, from her perspective it already happened, she's just remembering it.

The moment I figured out the twist I figured out who the father was, but until main lady screamed "who are you" at the dream of her daughter I never had reason to suspect the the main dude was the girl's father and not some new guy.
If they opened the movie including the both of them identifying the body as in the book the twist would immediately be ruined, as is it makes you work just a little tiny bit for it which I think works.

True, the alien behavior is predicated on future information, but as you said, we're babbies at time-thinking, so it amounts the same.
In the books there's no reason to suspect that the language breaks your temporal mooring, the aliens are kinda just tourists, and they and the linguists never reveal the time thing.

>death is inevitable regardless
Hmmm. You could say that knowing exactly when you're going to die is a big step in preventing it. Can you prevent it?

No because time is fixed. You only know it because it's going to happen.

I never said it wasn't pro-life. Anywhere. No shit it's pro life, what does that have to do with anything? The point is horribly made. She's selfish for knowing full well that a brief and painful awaits her daughter and still goes through with conceiving her, and as far as "the point" within the context of the film, it's purely for cheap, emotional appeals to dumbasses. The revelation that comes from understanding how alien time language works could have easily come from her taking a shit or some day dream about literally anything else that happens in the future. It doesn't establish any necessary component to her character that we didn't already know that's relevant to anything else, everything about her character as a mother only extends as far as the subplot about her being a mother, it isn't necessary (or interesting) in any other regard.

Are you saying that time is a flat circle

Gaining a non-linear perspective of time is like being consciously teleported directly to your own deathbed and simply remembering the events of your life.

Even as you live them it would feel like they already happened.

I meant in a general sense but that depends on whether free will truly exists or not. This film seems to suggest that it doesn't and that we have the illusion of it

Lol was thinking the same thing.

>No because time is fixed.
Is it? Are you sure?

Did you know scientists once thought the atom was the smallest particle? Then they discovered quantum physics.

Time as we know it (past, present, future) may only be the surface of even more exotic concepts. Infinite dimensions and realities have already been proposed. Causality is barrier. A big one. But if you want to think big (and this a movie that wants you to) it's just another one to be broken through.

The conceit of the movie seems to be that time is fixed.

Unless the 3000 years later crisis is humanity helping the aliens overcome the question of free will. What else could we conceivably help them with? They are far beyond us in the realm of practical technology. The best thing we can offer them is inspiration.

We're discussing a movie, not reality.

This is exactly the problem.

In the story, her ability to remember the future is deterministic, and the entire point of litetally EVERYTHING in the story is about determinism and fate.

In the movie, it's a super power she uses to get Xi Jing Ping's cellphone number.

Stop shilling your fucking channel here

Just turn your brain off bro

so if you live out of time do you never die? can you just exist in your 70-80 lifespan for eternity?

sounds like hell

>they remove the two most important scenes for understanding the story (chronicle of ages and the light paradox thing) from the movie
>kept the retarded ''non zero sum game'' scene
Why

Indeed. But if we review the posts so far
> You focus on the parts and neglect the whole. We all die, death is inevitable regardless, and a happy ending to our lives cannot always be guaranteed for us all. The point being if you know someone you love will die/leave you will you still go through with it? She choose to, deaspite knowwing what would happen.That is a wonderful, pro life message.

We find that this chain wherein I get to the point
is discussing the movie so your comment is irrelevant. Particularly when these are broad concepts that apply both in the movie and in real world philosophy.

You live normally, but you instantly know everything that will ever happen to you, never gaining new ibformation.

This in itself is a violation of causality on both a physical and philosophical level, so I think that strengthens my idea that free will doesn't exist and you can't change the future (within Arrival's universe) is not an insurmountable issue.

Physically, her brain would have to respond to stimuli that comes from some kind of reverse time flow for her to be able to have future-knowledge.

Philosophically this should let her do things you would normally not be able to do since information from the future can influence real world objects (her brain cells).

>you know you're gonna loose someone you love, its still worth living with them

jeezus keerist you females invade all genres with your menstruating dramas