Should it have lost to Ratatouille?

Should it have lost to Ratatouille?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zSoHkadTAxc
youtube.com/watch?v=HrKmuQwfm2k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A better question is, why are you still affixing any value on an Oscar?

It was a better movie than Ratatouille and it was nice to see something non-disney win but really fpbp

No but you shouldn't expect a non-Disney/Pixar movie to win in animation 99% of the time.

I'm going to say it straight up. Yes, it should've lost to Ratatouille.

What's insulting is this was the year they decided to do the "ha ha cartoons are all lighthearted and we're treating them as srs business "bit.

this

>Academy voters made of Hollywood people
>decide to vote for the Hollywood movies they and their friends made over some fucking chinese shit

Is this really surprising?

Anton Ego is Pixar's best villain

youtube.com/watch?v=zSoHkadTAxc

I agree.

It's always the same bait that wins every year and it's just a Hollywood circlejerk

Yeah, and a lot of Academy voters don't give a fuck about animated movies, they often don't even bother watching the movies they're voting on.

They made that innocent guy in the comics who she got arrested into a pervert. Fuck this movie.

I thought persepolis was french and also, a chinese cartoon got best animated feature in 2003.

No, Persepolis is Chinese. All foreign cartoons are Chinese.

Ego wasnt a villain though. He was just a food critic.

Not even the best film that year

it had bouncing tits so, no.

Yes, it should. Persepolis is a good film, but Ratatouille is simply great.

Critics are automatically villains

Come on, user

>Sup Forums

Yes, fuck you and your not ratatouille movie

>Happy Feet wins Oscar
>One year later Surf's Up gets nominated
>Academy becomes puzzled, collectively says 'Didn't a penguin movie win last year?'
>Academy collectively decides 'Fuck this copycat, give the Oscar to Pixar's rat movie'

The same thing happened with Shark Tale thanks to Finding Nemo, at least Dreamworks had the dignity of not trying to sequelize that unlike Sony Animation needing the WWE's help to get a direct-to-dvd sequel.

Yes. Besides its artstyle, it wasn't anything special. Ratatouille looked great and had the substance to back its style up.

This desu!!!

I remember that. Got me so angry I wasn't even sad after all the shit she went through later

I generally hate feminist mouthpieces but this was moving and original

My friend you must be profoundly autistic if you think that Iranian feminists are the same as Amerilard feminists.

So criminally underrated.

I liked the first half of Persepolis where it explored growing up in freaky revolutionary Iran but then she turned into a kinda stereotypical artsy piece of shit when she grew up, so it's basically half a good movie for me

So strange. It's like half interesting and relateable coming of age tale, half Rent. Fuck Rent.

What is it with indie comics? I had a similar problem with Maus. The holocaust stuff was interesting but all the stuff with Spiegelman in the modern day dealing with his dad made me just want to slap him. The man survived the goddamn holocaust, humor him, you stupid baby

The graphic novels were better, especially for the first half.

>Ratatouille is about Frenchmen but everybody speaks English.
>Persepolis is about Iranians but everybody speaks French.

Really makes tu pense.

there's a France in Iran

I've got the artbook for this and it's fucking brilliant. There are posters and postcards and shit in envelopes and invites and stuff you can take out, it's got seriously good production value over the usual Pixar art of books. I mean the art and style of the movie is great but the book is well done for an artbook.

youtube.com/watch?v=HrKmuQwfm2k

You're an idiot then

it's a true story. it's based on real events. that's not substance but talking rats are? holy fuck

>Real events
>Therefore has substance

I still have a nugget of hope for this year.

The real tragedy is pic related losing to Big Hero 6

We all know who the real winner should have been.

Yes, the second half of Persepolis was terrible. Also remember being made that she snitched on some innocent man to save her own hide. The Grandmother was the only good character in the film, to the point that I wished she was the main character.

>I still have a nugget of hope for this year

Why? Kiet-Ai has not even been nominated

DIDNT FIND A WAY

As much as i love Persepolis, Ratatouille was the better movie

The loli was cute and deserved a wacky anime and a loving onii-chan instead of war and oppression

That movie was equally meh (even though it looked amazing). Should have been Song of the Sea or Lego Movie.

Kek

Honestly, I put more value in the taste of Oscar nominations than this fucking board. If Sup Forums was in charge Persepolis wouldn't even be nominated.

Lol ikr????

I wouldn't mind an SoL in the style of persepolis, desu. The first half was basically SoL anyway. Has definite potential

>the loli was cute

Never change, Sup Forums

Movies are inherently a visual medium. It's strongest suit must be cinematography.

In animation this is even more important.

Ratatouille had way better cinematography and a much easier to digest art style.

I hate Oscar's, but to deny this is silly.

In all honesty, the more I watched this movie, the more I hated her. She was a spoiled cunt from beginning to end and that's really saying something considering where she was from but she still had the audacity to act as if the world had wronged her in some way.

>Critics are automatically villains

Did you see the movie? In the movie they put a spin on this.

Stop using words like "inherently" everywhere. It adds nothing to the sentence.

Also, Persepolis art style is inspired from old Persian manuscripts and just because it happens to be minimalist doesn't mean it has better or worse cinematography than the elaborate opulence shown in Ratatouille. Both films are different not just in cinematography but in tone, structure, themes and, yes, target audience. They shouldn't be compared at all

why? it was a shit movie. at least ratatouille was enjoyable

Good. Now explain why you think it was a shit movie

Heh. Pity she grew up to be such a complete woman

I used it once, fuck off.

And the origins of an art style maybe nice, but the fact that said culture literally says visual artistic depictions as sacrilege only strengthens my opinion that it is down right not good art.

>yfw the biggest tragedy at this year's Academy Awards was Your Name/Kimi No Na Wa being denied a nomination for Best Animated Feature

art is terrible, horrible characters, the story is all over the place, boring as fuck, probably could have been better as a live action movie, in fact I think I once saw a movie very similar to this.

good, putting lens flares on everything and rotoscoping backgrounds doesn't make a good film.

>Spirited Away lite
>better than Kaguya hime

Lego Movie is great though

>Persian is Islam

Not that user but the art is clearly pre-islamic (Zoroastrian?)

The film was clearly not intended to cater to your taste. Doesn't mean it's shit.

>art is terrible
Art was taken from the comic, which was inspired by >horrible characters
It's an autobiography. It's meant to be realistic

>Story is all over the place
I don't get this

>boring as fuck
Again, an autobiography not catering to your taste

Don't bother responding cause I'm leaving for my job. Although if you're lucky I may check in the evening

The shit taste in this thread, holy fuck

baaawwwww

Neither does forced unfunny pop culture references and MUH RELEVANT social comentary

I know. Amerifats, amirite?

There's nothing in the Quran calling art sacrilege in any form and only the evangelicals get pissed off at Muhammad art exclusively.

>(((survived))) the (((Holocaust)))

you're petty

Oh it's the girl that murders people
Explain to me how she didn't deserve to live under a Tirany she herself took part on

What a surprise. An american can't stand comics also recording mundane life. People have to risk their lives fleeing war torn countries or survive ethnic cleanses to keep you entertained.

>anime reaction image
>edgy Sup Forumsshit
Back to r/t_d with you redditor

>French movie about Iran lost to American movie about France

There are other awards than the Oscars